CFZ Thoughts about yesterday's tough road loss!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X, have you seen anything on tape that suggests why this run defense has struggled badly this yr?
They often get gashed when stunting.
- They stunt to generate more pass rush opportunities.
- Better pass rushing without stunting would improve the run defense.

Teams often run right at Kearse when he is playing the hybrid LB role in 3 Safety sets.
- I had hoped they would give Clark some snaps in that role.

They struggle against zone run blocking at times where the DL have to flow laterally down the line.
- The timing/spacing of the DL movement is more critical than power.

They played Parsons primarily at LB vs the Packers in order to improve the run defense.
- That takes away their top weapon which is Parsons as a pass rusher.

The DBs over-focusing on playing the run was a big contributor to the big pass plays they allowed.
- They also gave Rodgers too much time in the pocket when he did pass.

Summary:
- Next off-season, it's time to get an elite DT.
- Just adding another fat guy 1tech is not the answer.
- Playing Clark in the Kearse hybrid LB role would help because Clark is a real LB, not DB playing LB.
- I don't think they lose anything in pass coverage because Clark is clearly faster than Kearse.
- Sam Williams becoming a starter will help. He is the strongest DE on the team (and fastest).

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They often get gashed when stunting.
- They stunt to generate more pass rush opportunities.
- Better pass rushing without stunting would improve the run defense.

Teams often run right at Kearse when he is playing the hybrid LB role in 3 Safety sets.
- I had hoped they would give Clark some snaps in that role.

They struggle against zone run blocking at times where the DL have to flow laterally down the line.
- The timing/spacing of the DL movement is more critical than power.

They played Parsons primarily at LB vs the Packers in order to improve the run defense.
- That takes away their top weapon which is Parsons as a pass rusher.

The DBs over-focusing on playing the run was a big contributor to the big pass plays they allowed.
- They also gave Rodgers too much time in the pocket when he did pass.

Summary:
- Next off-season, it's time to get an elite DT.
- Just adding another fat guy 1tech is not the answer.
- Playing Clark in the Kearse hybrid LB role would help because Clark is a real LB, not DB playing LB.
- I don't think they lose anything in pass coverage because Clark is clearly faster than Kearse.
- Sam Williams becoming a starter will help. He is the strongest DE on the team (and fastest).
Nice writeup!

-Stunting has created huge rushing lanes in which, lineman get right onto the second level with ease. Scheme has to be adjusted.
-Probably a good idea to employ more 3 LB looks over the 3 Safeties.
-The DT's are really lacking on this roster, looking like Gallimore may not even be on the roster next season. We have needed a high level DT for years, probably since Hatcher left.
-Clearly Parsons impacts the game more as a pass rusher then he does off the ball, where I thought he struggled against both the run and the pass.
-Sam Williams has earned more playing time.

I believe the top 2 items can improve their run defense in the interim, but they need to fill holes with the right personnel in the offseason.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
that really sounds like most of our guys across the DT line ... Golston, Gallimore, Bohanna, Basham, Watkins,
All the 3 tech's haven't lived up to their draft status and really have not developed as we hoped. Team used day 2 resources and gotten very little impact out of them: Hill, Gallimore, Osa, Goldston.

Creeper

Reaction score

This play has really stuck with me. OT and Davis has a great run setting Cowboys up at 25 yard line in OT

That wasn't holding. The guy went down and immediately called to the ref but there was no holding on that play. It was a bad call and it may have cost Dallas the game. The non-PI call on CeeDee was also a bad call. It is hard to reconcile how the refs called holding on McGovern and not call PI on the Packers. It makes no sense.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
well, other QBs do. Aikman made a living out of it with Irvin. but that's what it is, you throw with anticipation that a WR if he makes the right cut, will be where he suppose to be. this is not the first time CD has ad-libed on a timing play....he would have been open in front of the defender if instead of going up field at an angle he would have made a hard cut across...Cooper has run this route successfully many times before...

so we either run timing routes, with throws living QB's hand before the WR makes the cut, expecting him to make the right cut. or we just abandon it....

To the sideline yes but not over the middle. Way too many variables

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All the 3 tech's haven't lived up to their draft status and really have not developed as we hoped. Team used day 2 resources and gotten very little impact out of them: Hill, Gallimore, Osa, Goldston.
If Odighi played next to Vita Vea, he would be very good...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
To the sideline yes but not over the middle. Way too many variables
not true and not all throws go to the side line and not all timing throws for us currently are up the middle.

with that said, CD has made this mistake before. he is obviously still learning.

quickccc

Reaction score

Look around the NFL, .. it's extremely hard to find stellar 3 tech DTs. Besides QB that's probably the most difficult position role to find a really good one.
They don't fall off trees like fruit. Every once a blue eclipse diamond in the rough will emerge like a Grady Jarrett, but you find most teams scouring for
explosive types in first or least 2nd round (ala Chris Jones)

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Our run defense is at red alert.

This!!! There are 100 argumentative threads about Dak and who's fault the interceptions were, but the defense and the way they've been playing is what has me concerned the most. They made the Packers offense, one that is supposedly on the struggle bus, look like the 2007 Patriots. If was just easy for Rodgers and company all game. If they can't figure this thing out down the stretch, it's going to be a disappointing ride the rest of the trip.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This!!! There are 100 argumentative threads about Dak and who's fault the interceptions were, but the defense and the way they've been playing is what has me concerned the most. They made the Packers offense, one that is supposedly on the struggle bus, look like the 2007 Patriots. If was just easy for Rodgers and company all game. If they can't figure this thing out down the stretch, it's going to be a disappointing ride the rest of the trip.
Didn’t lose cause of Dak’s play, 14 point lead and couldn’t hold it

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I totally agree. Have to fix this and a hurry and Dak's 2 interceptions had little to do with the final outcome.