CFZ Thoughts about yesterday's tough road loss!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
First of all, let's take all the emotion out if it, season isn't over after 1 loss. That post yesterday has aged well where someone posted that we are guaranteed to play the Bucs in the opening round of the playoffs. This is why we play the games!

Offense

-Appeared we got nothing out of our passing offense from anyone other then Lamb/Shultz. Brown, Gallup cannot continue to be no shows. Understand both are coming back from injuries, but need to give more to the team.

-Both first half interceptions appeared to be on the receiver, but that doesn't excuse Dak from making those decisions. The first one, Dak needs to know the situation, they have 3 points in the bag, no need to take such a risk. This interception turned around the game and led to GB's first TD.

-Cee Dee Lamb's play drive you crazy, looks so good at times, then has a bad drop or runs a poor route that leads to an interception. 2 straight weeks this has happens, where he failed to flattened out his route.

-Thought the McGovern call was questionable at best. Really put them in a tough situation.

-Going for it on 4th and 4 was head scratching, but one thing I did notice was Maher's kickoffs coming short all game. Think he had just 2 returned all season long. This could of been the reason why they decided to go for it.

Defense

-Our run defense is at red alert. There was a point in the game where Rodgers just thrown 10 passes into the 3rd quarter with a tie score. Once teams can run the football, play action becomes effective.

-What is disappointing, GB struggled all season long with deep shots, both Brown/Bland gave up big plays and Joseph almost did too. The back breaker was the one Bland gave up on 4th down that could of sealed the game. Watson broke out and had 3 td's and should of had 4.

-Didn't like the idea of Parsons playing full time LB. No issue having him play some off the ball in obvious run downs, but he proved his best position is at DE.

-Thought DLaw was the best defensive player for the team this week.

-This defensive unit has been overrated by several on this board and in the media, you cannot give up a 14 point lead in the 4th qtr if you are an elite defense, you cannot allow a struggling offense to take it down the field and score the winning FG. Keep in mind this team scored 9 points against the Lions last week who have the worst defense in the league, they gave up 31 points yesterday.

Special Teams

-Thought the Cowboys had a big advantage here, they did get a fumble recovery, but that's about it.
This defense is the laughingstock of the league in the OCs eyes! OCs have figured out that this club CAN NOT stop the run, this is why teams are running at will because why put the ball in the air if you can gain 4-5-6 yds a clip on every down AND when teams are throwing nobody is getting home because the D-Line looked all bunched up in one spot. Rogers had another CAREER GAME against this team, this is why FATA$$ MM decided to go for it on fourth and four when a field goal would have put them ahead. FATA$$ MM knew that his defense COULDN'T stop Rogers even if they knew what play GB was calling! When this club went up by 14 and FATA$$ MM was laughing and carrying on with the players, I knew that they were in trouble. FATA$$ MM should have been in their faces yelling and screaming that 14 was enough and that more was needed to pull out this game! FATA$$ LOOKED LIKE A DEFLATED SNOWMAN THAT YOU PULL THE PLUG AT NIGHT IN YOUR XMAS DECORATIONS! SHOULD BE FIRED!

visionary

Reaction score
the interceptions were on the recievers....we complain why Dak doesn't throw before a WR makes a cut, but when he does and WR doesn't make the cut, its Dak's fault.

CD is a #2 WR at best. right now we have two #2s and a#4 WR on the team as top 3. we miss cooper badly.

why does McCarthy keep insisting on going for it at the wrong times. in over time, just kick a field goal....put the pressure on packers instead of your defense.

run defense sucks. two weeks in a row that we gave up 200+ yards rushing.

Very strange that Rodgers was throwing to a rookie WR and he just never ran a bad route and Dak was throwing to experienced WRs who he has been with for years and they kept running bad route after bad route leading to Dak throwing interceptions

Poor Dak, just can’t catch a break

go figure

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- I thought rookie Sam Williams is really growing and showing up with every game as a rusher. He's starting to remind me of Khali Mack in his Bears days.
How many sacks does he have in past 3 games in limited snaps ?

- But b-cuz GB ran so well, Rodgers never had to play hurry up pass happy, even down 14 points. Mixed play-action for big bombs for TDs/big plays.

- A team that struggled so mightily with the likes of Detroit Lions. Yet we had a Terrible night from our CBs, Bland, Brown and Joseph. Was J. Lewis missed ?

- i don't think we can have Parsons bouncing from edge to off ball LB in an instant, and expect him not to miss a beat.
i like the idea of finding better ways to preserve him, but the injuries, and the lack of LB depth may have forced that off ball action.

- Special teams was affected by the field conditions. We did forced a key fumble on PRs.(per Luke Gifford) Also Gifford recovered a fumble by TE Pendershot (who keeps compiling penalties
on an every game basis)
I thought Turpin was undecisive with the end zone bounce but he handle it by backing into end zone, also thought he had difficulty gaining foot traction,
and what is up with all these SP penalties ?
Some Good points!

-Gifford had a hand in the forced fumble and recovered that KO fumble.
-Yes, Sam Williams now has 3 sacks in last 2 games, he needs more playing time. Also, has flashed against the run.
-Probably right about lack of depth, surprised we didn't see more of Clark this game, this forced Parsons to play LB.
-Bland had a rough night, not sure if Lewis would of done any better. Watson is a legitimate talent and finally broke out. Rodgers on the passes he did throw, really has success down the field against man coverage.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
1 INT – obvious mishap between Schultz and Lamb, both literally bumping into each other in the end zone.
Bad wrong routes were a big problem last ..and alas this year too.

2nd INT – did Lamb flatten out his route where he ended behind the safety .. instead of in front of the safety ?
When you start having problems like that, coaches may water down the offense and making it more simplified. Taking out option routes. It’s a conservative move
That will also make it more easier for the defense to defend as well.
Both players have been here long enough, these mental mistakes are just like self-induced penalties, but cost even more. I believe Dak deserves some blame, especially with the 1st one, but these players must execute better.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Very strange that Rodgers was throwing to a rookie WR and he just never ran a bad route and Dak was throwing to experienced WRs who he has been with for years and they kept running bad route after bad route leading to Dak throwing interceptions

Poor Dak, just can’t catch a break

go figure
well, watch the video again.... which tells me CD is over rated. he has iffy hands. sometimes he does good. some times he doesn't he is inconsistent. he is no cooper.

he is not top 20 WR. this is not to blame CD, or Dak just looking at the facts....

seemingly, agenda aside several analysts and former NFL WRs agreed as well. but heck what do they know. posters on this board know heck of a lot more about football than all of them combined

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Run defense seems like a combination of things,... lack of physicality..., lack of discipline,... lack of player personnel, ...questionable run scheme/gap integrity.
Monday overreaction on my part too, ...but I’ve never liked the jumbling of DL on a down by down basis.
The ends/edge guys cannot contain their ground. Some say the interior is ok, but ...

- I’m still seeing DTs getting wiped out of run plays, are we over-pursuing lanes ? from Armstrong, Gallimore, Watkins, Osa, Bohanna, etc.
And I’ve never liked LVE as a run defender, Barr hasn’t helped anyway, they simply do not like the inactive Cox. And they’re gradually working in rookie Clarke.

- So Parsons now as an off ball LB. To which he was mediocre, washed in traffic, look lost maybe because he has to get re-programmed into off ball play.
We won’t be able to immediate fix the big problem during the season. But it was a problem last year (ala Niners playoff game)
Question is how do we fix this issue next season? I agree, probably cannot be fixed until then. Team probably should of signed Wagner over Barr which would of helped somewhat, but still wouldn't be enough. Interior is lacking, DE's give up containment, linebackers are aggressive/physical enough, corners aren't great tacklers. etc. It's a total mess.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Question is how do we fix this issue next season? I agree, probably cannot be fixed until then. Team probably should of signed Wagner over Barr which would of helped somewhat, but still wouldn't be enough. Interior is lacking, DE's give up containment, linebackers are aggressive/physical enough, corners aren't great tacklers. etc. It's a total mess.

Sign Daron Payne would be a great start. Hope for continued development from Big Bo and continue to look for young DT and LBr talent in the draft.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
First of all, let's take all the emotion out if it, season isn't over after 1 loss. That post yesterday has aged well where someone posted that we are guaranteed to play the Bucs in the opening round of the playoffs. This is why we play the games!

Offense

-Appeared we got nothing out of our passing offense from anyone other then Lamb/Shultz. Brown, Gallup cannot continue to be no shows. Understand both are coming back from injuries, but need to give more to the team.

-Both first half interceptions appeared to be on the receiver, but that doesn't excuse Dak from making those decisions. The first one, Dak needs to know the situation, they have 3 points in the bag, no need to take such a risk. This interception turned around the game and led to GB's first TD.

-Cee Dee Lamb's play drive you crazy, looks so good at times, then has a bad drop or runs a poor route that leads to an interception. 2 straight weeks this has happens, where he failed to flattened out his route.

-Thought the McGovern call was questionable at best. Really put them in a tough situation.

-Going for it on 4th and 4 was head scratching, but one thing I did notice was Maher's kickoffs coming short all game. Think he had just 2 returned all season long. This could of been the reason why they decided to go for it.

Defense

-Our run defense is at red alert. There was a point in the game where Rodgers just thrown 10 passes into the 3rd quarter with a tie score. Once teams can run the football, play action becomes effective.

-What is disappointing, GB struggled all season long with deep shots, both Brown/Bland gave up big plays and Joseph almost did too. The back breaker was the one Bland gave up on 4th down that could of sealed the game. Watson broke out and had 3 td's and should of had 4.

-Didn't like the idea of Parsons playing full time LB. No issue having him play some off the ball in obvious run downs, but he proved his best position is at DE.

-Thought DLaw was the best defensive player for the team this week.

-This defensive unit has been overrated by several on this board and in the media, you cannot give up a 14 point lead in the 4th qtr if you are an elite defense, you cannot allow a struggling offense to take it down the field and score the winning FG. Keep in mind this team scored 9 points against the Lions last week who have the worst defense in the league, they gave up 31 points yesterday.

Special Teams

-Thought the Cowboys had a big advantage here, they did get a fumble recovery, but that's about it.
I was shocked at how much panic the board had last night. They lost to a desperate team with a HOF QB on the road. Sure it was frustrating but it’s the Cowboys. They do stupid things all the time. Bottom line 6-3 with 5 games without Dak is pretty amazing. I still think this is a playoff team.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sign Daron Payne would be a great start. Hope for continued development from Big Bo and continue to look for young DT and LBr talent in the draft.
Good start, but they also have to figure out what to do with RE on base downs. They have been gashed all year with those outside runs to that side, teams have run right at Parsons with great success. Perhaps moving more to a 3-4 front on the early downs could help. That alignment was built to be better at stopping the run.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I was shocked at how much panic the board had last night. They lost to a desperate team with a HOF QB on the road. Sure it was frustrating but it’s the Cowboys. They do stupid things all the time. Bottom line 6-3 with 5 games without Dak is pretty amazing. I still think this is a playoff team.
It's disappointing, but we are still in excellent shape for the playoffs. Start of the year, many thought getting a split with these 2 difficult road games was the best case scenario. Beat the Vikings and get back on track.

visionary

Reaction score

Sign a real 1T DT
Stop playing DEs at DT spots
Enforce discipline: Let DEs and LBs know that is they lose contain or gap control they will be benched and do it
Stop playing safety as LB
Tell CBs (esp Diggs) that if he can’t tackle he can’t play

defense is about size, attitude and discipline

cnuball21

Reaction score
Good start, but they also have to figure out what to do with RE on base downs. They have been gashed all year with those outside runs to that side, teams have run right at Parsons with great success. Perhaps moving more to a 3-4 front on the early downs could help. That alignment was built to be better at stopping the run.

This class is absolutely loaded at DE. If it’s BPA I’d take one in the first.

Williams run D was biggest weakness as a prospect but hopefully either he can improve that or the 1st rounder helps.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And let the Denver fall begin! By Thanksgiving, rats will jumping from all sides of the ship.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
the interceptions were on the recievers....we complain why Dak doesn't throw before a WR makes a cut, but when he does and WR doesn't make the cut, its Dak's fault.

CD is a #2 WR at best. right now we have two #2s and a#4 WR on the team as top 3. we miss cooper badly.

why does McCarthy keep insisting on going for it at the wrong times. in over time, just kick a field goal....put the pressure on packers instead of your defense.

run defense sucks. two weeks in a row that we gave up 200+ yards rushing.

You can't blindly throw to a spot with taking inventory of what is actually happening on that spot. The very best thing that could have happened is that you get your receiver destroyed there and he may catch the ball for 10 yards.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This class is absolutely loaded at DE. If it’s BPA I’d take one in the first.

Williams run D was biggest weakness as a prospect but hopefully either he can improve that or the 1st rounder helps.
If I remember correctly, his college team used him as a down lineman in a 3-4 alignment. I think he could be a better run defender if used right.

Think most agree, we need a more physical/instinctive linebacker to replace Lve next season. Hopefully, they use their resources to upgrade the DL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sign a real 1T DT
Stop playing DEs at DT spots
Enforce discipline: Let DEs and LBs know that is they lose contain or gap control they will be benched and do it
Stop playing safety as LB
Tell CBs (esp Diggs) that if he can’t tackle he can’t play

defense is about size, attitude and discipline
It's also about teamwork and effort. The issues are with everyone, including scheme. I see stunts and open up huge holes in which lineman are atop of our backers and even corners, that is an issue.

quickccc

Reaction score

Let's be realistic,.. Stephen is not gonna pursue a dollar purse like Ron Payne. .. he's not a pass rusher, and Stephen ain't doing that for a run stopper.

It would have to be someone cheaper.. much cheaper, per Hankins type.
Look for another Bohanna/Ridgeway late round draftee, as what seems will be the way of the Money baller.