CFZ Thoughts about yesterday's tough road loss!

quickccc

Reaction score
This class is absolutely loaded at DE. If it’s BPA I’d take one in the first.

Williams run D was biggest weakness as a prospect but hopefully either he can improve that or the 1st rounder helps.

Williams is what makes me no longer regret losing Gregory in FA.
Bigger, more powerful play strength, and can play both speed to power game. And has the bulk that Gregory took years to build.

For a guy that has such freakish size/speed ratio, and was sack master productive in college, and from what i am seeing what he is growing and developing into
so quickly, i am still quite stunned ..and very elated, that he lasted into our 2nd rd. pick.

Even as a rookie, he may already be our most impressive, and physically gifted DE.

quickccc

Reaction score
Good start, but they also have to figure out what to do with RE on base downs. They have been gashed all year with those outside runs to that side, teams have run right at Parsons with great success. Perhaps moving more to a 3-4 front on the early downs could help. That alignment was built to be better at stopping the run.

You'd want Parsons and DLaw as stand upOLBs, while LVE ..and whom else at middle LB ? Clarke ? Barr ?

Who are the 3-4 DEs ? Osa and Gholston ? (who was thought of so much , he was made inactive vs GB)

To some point, i'm wondering if we are playing too much nickel that includes extensive three safeties alignment.
As an opponent, i'm taking my chances at my OL pulling, encountering and clashing with safeties than LBs.

i would say this.. should Quinn depart to become HC elsewhere, i'd start to consider Vic Fangio (currently consultant role with Philly) as my new DC and 3-4 scheme.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You can't blindly throw to a spot with taking inventory of what is actually happening on that spot. The very best thing that could have happened is that you get your receiver destroyed there and he may catch the ball for 10 yards.
well, other QBs do. Aikman made a living out of it with Irvin. but that's what it is, you throw with anticipation that a WR if he makes the right cut, will be where he suppose to be. this is not the first time CD has ad-libed on a timing play....he would have been open in front of the defender if instead of going up field at an angle he would have made a hard cut across...Cooper has run this route successfully many times before...

so we either run timing routes, with throws living QB's hand before the WR makes the cut, expecting him to make the right cut. or we just abandon it....

Motorola

Reaction score
I loved that Fox never cut to the fuhrer in the owner's box.
Astute observation, 'ArtClink' - I noticed that too.
I wish all the networks televising NFL games stop showing the owners and GMs during regular season games.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First of all, let's take all the emotion out if it, season isn't over after 1 loss. That post yesterday has aged well where someone posted that we are guaranteed to play the Bucs in the opening round of the playoffs. This is why we play the games!

Offense

-Appeared we got nothing out of our passing offense from anyone other then Lamb/Shultz. Brown, Gallup cannot continue to be no shows. Understand both are coming back from injuries, but need to give more to the team.

-Both first half interceptions appeared to be on the receiver, but that doesn't excuse Dak from making those decisions. The first one, Dak needs to know the situation, they have 3 points in the bag, no need to take such a risk. This interception turned around the game and led to GB's first TD.

-Cee Dee Lamb's play drive you crazy, looks so good at times, then has a bad drop or runs a poor route that leads to an interception. 2 straight weeks this has happens, where he failed to flattened out his route.

-Thought the McGovern call was questionable at best. Really put them in a tough situation.

-Going for it on 4th and 4 was head scratching, but one thing I did notice was Maher's kickoffs coming short all game. Think he had just 2 returned all season long. This could of been the reason why they decided to go for it.

Defense

-Our run defense is at red alert. There was a point in the game where Rodgers just thrown 10 passes into the 3rd quarter with a tie score. Once teams can run the football, play action becomes effective.

-What is disappointing, GB struggled all season long with deep shots, both Brown/Bland gave up big plays and Joseph almost did too. The back breaker was the one Bland gave up on 4th down that could of sealed the game. Watson broke out and had 3 td's and should of had 4.

-Didn't like the idea of Parsons playing full time LB. No issue having him play some off the ball in obvious run downs, but he proved his best position is at DE.

-Thought DLaw was the best defensive player for the team this week.

-This defensive unit has been overrated by several on this board and in the media, you cannot give up a 14 point lead in the 4th qtr if you are an elite defense, you cannot allow a struggling offense to take it down the field and score the winning FG. Keep in mind this team scored 9 points against the Lions last week who have the worst defense in the league, they gave up 31 points yesterday.

Special Teams

-Thought the Cowboys had a big advantage here, they did get a fumble recovery, but that's about it.

This is a week to week league. However disappointing this game was, the season is not made or broken in any given week. The next few games have become a bit more important, but this team can still make a run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- I thought rookie Sam Williams is really growing and showing up with every game as a rusher. He's starting to remind me of Khali Mack in his Bears days.
How many sacks does he have in past 3 games in limited snaps ?

- But b-cuz GB ran so well, Rodgers never had to play hurry up pass happy, even down 14 points. Mixed play-action for big bombs for TDs/big plays.

- A team that struggled so mightily with the likes of Detroit Lions. Yet we had a Terrible night from our CBs, Bland, Brown and Joseph. Was J. Lewis missed ?

- i don't think we can have Parsons bouncing from edge to off ball LB in an instant, and expect him not to miss a beat.
i like the idea of finding better ways to preserve him, but the injuries, and the lack of LB depth may have forced that off ball action.

- Special teams was affected by the field conditions. We did forced a key fumble on PRs.(per Luke Gifford) Also Gifford recovered a fumble by TE Pendershot (who keeps compiling penalties
on an every game basis)
I thought Turpin was undecisive with the end zone bounce but he handle it by backing into end zone, also thought he had difficulty gaining foot traction,
and what is up with all these SP penalties ?
First of all, let's take all the emotion out if it, season isn't over after 1 loss. That post yesterday has aged well where someone posted that we are guaranteed to play the Bucs in the opening round of the playoffs. This is why we play the games!

Offense

-Appeared we got nothing out of our passing offense from anyone other then Lamb/Shultz. Brown, Gallup cannot continue to be no shows. Understand both are coming back from injuries, but need to give more to the team.

-Both first half interceptions appeared to be on the receiver, but that doesn't excuse Dak from making those decisions. The first one, Dak needs to know the situation, they have 3 points in the bag, no need to take such a risk. This interception turned around the game and led to GB's first TD.

-Cee Dee Lamb's play drive you crazy, looks so good at times, then has a bad drop or runs a poor route that leads to an interception. 2 straight weeks this has happens, where he failed to flattened out his route.

-Thought the McGovern call was questionable at best. Really put them in a tough situation.

-Going for it on 4th and 4 was head scratching, but one thing I did notice was Maher's kickoffs coming short all game. Think he had just 2 returned all season long. This could of been the reason why they decided to go for it.

Defense

-Our run defense is at red alert. There was a point in the game where Rodgers just thrown 10 passes into the 3rd quarter with a tie score. Once teams can run the football, play action becomes effective.

-What is disappointing, GB struggled all season long with deep shots, both Brown/Bland gave up big plays and Joseph almost did too. The back breaker was the one Bland gave up on 4th down that could of sealed the game. Watson broke out and had 3 td's and should of had 4.

-Didn't like the idea of Parsons playing full time LB. No issue having him play some off the ball in obvious run downs, but he proved his best position is at DE.

-This defensive unit has been overrated by several on this board and in the media, you cannot give up a 14 point lead in the 4th qtr if you are an elite defense, you cannot allow a struggling offense to take it down the field and score the winning FG. Keep in mind this team scored 9 points against the Lions last week who have the worst defense in the league, they gave up 31 points yesterday.

Special Teams

-Thought the Cowboys had a big advantage here, they did get a fumble recovery, but that's about it.
In 2021, Parsons only played 24% of snaps at DE...

Creeper

Reaction score
I agree with everything. I was surprised on that 4th and 7 call with two inexperienced CBs playing Quinn didn't dial up some kind of pressure. That was the game winning play I think.

I also noticed Maher was coming up short on his kicks. The cold air will do that. But I was also certain that even if the Cowboys made the FG, Rodgers would take the ball back and get the TD to win the game. I did not like the play calls on that last drive. But let's be honest, the holding on McGovern killed that drive. And the non-call on the pass to Lamb hurt too. I thought that was clearly PI. The defender went over the receiver to defend the pass and that is PI.

But, as someone else said. if they were going to go for it on 4th down, then why not run on 3rd down? Had they run it on 3rd it would leave Green Bay thinking it could be another run on 4th down or a pass but maybe just a little bit of doubt would have made the difference.

Is it my imagination of does the Cowboys offense have more success when Dak has a few designed runs? Maybe on 3rd down they should have run that play where Dak follows Schultz to the left off the DE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You'd want Parsons and DLaw as stand upOLBs, while LVE ..and whom else at middle LB ? Clarke ? Barr ?

Who are the 3-4 DEs ? Osa and Gholston ? (who was thought of so much , he was made inactive vs GB)

To some point, i'm wondering if we are playing too much nickel that includes extensive three safeties alignment.
As an opponent, i'm taking my chances at my OL pulling, encountering and clashing with safeties than LBs.

i would say this.. should Quinn depart to become HC elsewhere, i'd start to consider Vic Fangio (currently consultant role with Philly) as my new DC and 3-4 scheme.
Usually the 3-4 down lineman consists of a 2 gap NT, 5 Tech DE and a 3 Tech. I would think Osa/DLaw are more of the down lineman. Yes, playing a bigger lineup would also help, removing Kearse with a LB.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Let's be realistic,.. Stephen is not gonna pursue a dollar purse like Ron Payne. .. he's not a pass rusher, and Stephen ain't doing that for a run stopper.

It would have to be someone cheaper.. much cheaper, per Hankins type.
Look for another Bohanna/Ridgeway late round draftee, as what seems will be the way of the Money baller.
I'm fine with Bohanna and resigning Haskins if he plays well. You are right, they aren't spending big money on a 2 down player.

quickccc

Reaction score
Usually the 3-4 down lineman consists of a 2 gap NT, 5 Tech DE and a 3 Tech. I would think Osa/DLaw are more of the down lineman. Yes, playing a bigger lineup would also help, removing Kearse with a LB.

You're right - Usually a 3-4 is a two gap scheme - i dunno if any 3-4 scheme uses the one gap anymore, such as Wade Phillips was well-reknown for his one gap scheme in his 3-4 set.

- Wade did not prefer his linemen tied up in lanes as clogging space only 2-gappers, he believed in his DL slanting and getting upfield as factors as pass rushers.

- DLaw at just 260 lbs is not gonna be a 3-4 DE.
He'll be more a stand up OLB on the edge in a pure 3-4 scheme.

Osa at 285 and Golston (whose supposedly bulked to 280) would be better suited as a 3-4 DE.

- Occasionally Quinn would use Gallimore as a 1 tech. But he's just not a 1 tech. That'll change with Hankins' arrival to join Quinton as the 1 techs.
Hankins and Bohanna of course would be your pure NT rollers in a 3-4
I had such hopes and expectations for Neville, because of his great athleticism and physical tools, but he seems to only shows up in rare spots and occasions.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

This play has really stuck with me. OT and Davis has a great run setting Cowboys up at 25 yard line in OT

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You're right - Usually a 3-4 is a two gap scheme - i dunno if any 3-4 scheme uses the one gap anymore, such as Wade Phillips was well-reknown for his one gap scheme in his 3-4 set.

- Wade did not prefer his linemen tied up in lanes as clogging space only 2-gappers, he believed in his DL slanting and getting upfield as factors as pass rushers.

- DLaw at just 260 lbs is not gonna be a 3-4 DE.
He'll be more a stand up OLB on the edge in a pure 3-4 scheme.

Osa at 285 and Golston (whose supposedly bulked to 280) would be better suited as a 3-4 DE.

- Occasionally Quinn would use Gallimore as a 1 tech. But he's just not a 1 tech. That'll change with Hankins' arrival to join Quinton as the 1 techs.
Hankins and Bohanna of course would be your pure NT rollers in a 3-4
I had such hopes and expectations for Neville, because of his great athleticism and physical tools, but he seems to only shows up in rare spots and occasions.
Think Gallimore has to earn his roster spot next season.

Carson

Reaction score

This play has really stuck with me. OT and Davis has a great run setting Cowboys up at 25 yard line in OT

Because he didn’t grab. The defender fell to the ground and sold the hold. It shows it from the reverse angle.

ondaedg

Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Great thoughts. Here are a few of mine as a result of the loss.

Dak clearly doesn’t have faith in his receivers to run concise or even correct routes. At some point he needs to start letting these guys know he isn’t happy about it by ‘getting in their faces and letting them know they gotta start playing like a professional.

Moore reminds me so much of Garrett where they will bring some plays to the table that keep a defense off balance for a week then the next week he is right back to his bad habits. We didn’t see any runs by the qb nor did we see any qb roll outs. He abandoned the run again and the WR pass routes looked like the ones against TB. He won’t get out of his comfort zone which is a bad thing for an OC in this league.

McCarthy said “Teams are going to continue to run against us because of how we are built.” This is him flat out admitting that we don’t have the right personnel to be a good run stopping team. We haven’t had a good season of interior line play since Glover was a Cowboy. Ratliff was a good pass rusher but he was average against the run. This is the definition of insanity and JJ just won’t adequately address the position. And we haven’t had a good hole filling LB since Rolando.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I was shocked at how much panic the board had last night. They lost to a desperate team with a HOF QB on the road. Sure it was frustrating but it’s the Cowboys. They do stupid things all the time. Bottom line 6-3 with 5 games without Dak is pretty amazing. I still think this is a playoff team.

Of course it is.