Thoughts from last night's Hawks-Eagles game

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Thoughts as it pertains to us.

- You see what dominant DLs can do. Seattle's DL was all over Wentz all night. Philly's DL was dominant as well but Wilson's ability to escape and free lance was able to overcome that a bit. But watching last night reminded me that we need to pour more into our front four. We have two legit high level pieces - Lawrence and Irving. Collins has potential and Crawford is a solid performer. I want more. So if a guy like Landry or Chubb is sitting there in the first round, I have no problems grabbing them. If a kid like Wilkins, the DT from Clemson is there, I have no problem taking him. People will say "well we need LBs". I get that. But frankly, a dominant DL can cover up a lot of other issues. Philly doesn't have "great" LBs but they are competent and look better because their DL helps them. So my priority would be finish the DL this offseason. If we came out of this draft with say a Landry or Wilkins or Chubb and then also added a guy like Poe or Logan in FA................ the effect on this defense would be immense IMO.

- Wentz was off last night but the thing I noticed and others noticed was how they seem to have a lot of open WRs. I don't think, other than TE, that the Eagles have such better skill players than we do. But yet, they seemingly have guys open all over the place. I can't recall a game where I came away thinking what a great called game we had, where guys were open, we made it easier on Dak, etc.

- Kris Richard, the DC for Seattle, might be a name to watch going forward if we need a new head coach at any point in the next few years. I think I'd prefer an offensive minded guy but people speak glowingly of Richard.

Regarding the open receivers, I've noticed the exact same thing every time I have watched Philly this year. It's amazing what a competent offensive scheme can do for you. We have long developing pass plays that result in absolutely zero separation. No trickery to game our receivers open whatsoever. It's depressing when you watch other teams' games and see how they're able to scheme their guys open.

Dak has certainly had his struggles this year (though greatly exaggerated by many, IMO), but the staff and receiving corps certainly isn't doing him any favors whatsoever.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

- You see what dominant DLs can do. Seattle's DL was all over Wentz all night. Philly's DL was dominant as well but Wilson's ability to escape and free lance was able to overcome that a bit. But watching last night reminded me that we need to pour more into our front four. We have two legit high level pieces - Lawrence and Irving. Collins has potential and Crawford is a solid performer. I want more. So if a guy like Landry or Chubb is sitting there in the first round, I have no problems grabbing them. If a kid like Wilkins, the DT from Clemson is there, I have no problem taking him. People will say "well we need LBs". I get that. But frankly, a dominant DL can cover up a lot of other issues. Philly doesn't have "great" LBs but they are competent and look better because their DL helps them. So my priority would be finish the DL this offseason. If we came out of this draft with say a Landry or Wilkins or Chubb and then also added a guy like Poe or Logan in FA................ the effect on this defense would be immense IMO.

- Wentz was off last night but the thing I noticed and others noticed was how they seem to have a lot of open WRs. I don't think, other than TE, that the Eagles have such better skill players than we do. But yet, they seemingly have guys open all over the place. I can't recall a game where I came away thinking what a great called game we had, where guys were open, we made it easier on Dak, etc.

- Kris Richard, the DC for Seattle, might be a name to watch going forward if we need a new head coach at any point in the next few years. I think I'd prefer an offensive minded guy but people speak glowingly of Richard.

We have an archaic passing attack. What concerns me about Dak the past few weeks is that he’s not seeing mid- to deep routes and the vast majority of passes he’s hitting are comeback or underneath routes. He looks spooked to me and I’m holding my breath he comes out of it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I saw a HC by the name of Pederson make Garrett look like Bill Belichick. Completely out coached in every aspect of the game. Bush league.
The same coach who made JG grab his ankles? 2 pt conversions that looked better than our normal offense?

Zman5

Reaction score
Does anyone ever call out the coaches on this? Never seen the question asked by the media.

I'm sure someone has and I'm sure the answer they got was something like "We believe in our system. We believe in the process and we have the right kind of guys to execute the system. blah blah blah"

Nexx

Reaction score
Man. I agree on the open receivers part so much.

I haven’t seen a game where we had receivers open that consistently in a long time. It’s almost like every pass Dak throws us into a tight window and is contested.

But if you go over film you’ll notice Dak not seeing his wide open receivers and throwing instead to the tight window.

Otto65

Reaction score
Wentz was roughed up a little by the Seahawks dline. Number 55, Clark, put a little extra effort into the hits he laid on Wentz. As a result Wentz was all over the place last night. Game within a game.

StarHead69

Reaction score
The only time we get someone that wide open is usually Twill running a drag across the field. Everyone knows our offense now. Button hooks, flys, out routes, and option routes.

I hear the local Jr High coach is pissed and wants his playbook back! Smh
More like the original Tecmo Bowl playbook

canters

Reaction score
So, Wentz was inaccurate when pressured.? The great Wentz? No, that only happens to Dak.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

- You see what dominant DLs can do...

I thought Philly had a dominant DL also. And Philly was playing against a Seattle OL which is weak. Seattle showed up and Philly didn't.

Reactions: BAT

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do need LB's, but if a dominant DT is there, I will take that 1st. We can get LB's in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
But also if a speed WR is there in the 2nd or 3rd, we need him.

DT, LB, speed WR
I will wait on a S and OL to see how the season plays out and if the changes they just made in the secondary works out.

aria

Reaction score
The same coach who made JG grab his ankles? 2 pt conversions that looked better than our normal offense?
Yup, also the same coach that was losing to us by 2 points at half time when we were missing 3-4 Pro Bowlers. With all the talent they have vs our depleted roster and a struggling Dak I'm surprised it wasn't more.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yup, also the same coach that was losing to us by 2 points at half time when we were missing 3-4 Pro Bowlers. With all the talent they have vs our depleted roster and a struggling Dak I'm surprised it wasn't more.
So he made half time adjustments? What are those?:D

sbark

Reaction score
We have an archaic passing attack. What concerns me about Dak the past few weeks is that he’s not seeing mid- to deep routes and the vast majority of passes he’s hitting are comeback or underneath routes. He looks spooked to me and I’m holding my breath he comes out of it.
Wentz gets benefit of picks and rubs well into patterns...gave alagore the Td. Pats seem to give Brady rubs closer to los. Garret's scheme depends on des commanding a double....hasn't been needed

Sydla

Reaction score
He should have, he was losing to us by 2 points which was pathetic considering considering the differences on the roster.

This is an honest to god question. What would it take for you to admit Garrett might not be a good coach?

I am just curious. Is there a point where you might admit he's not the answer? If they fail to make the playoffs this year, that will be the 5th time in 7 full years they didn't make the postseason. At what point does that become an issue for you? Or do you always assume he's a good coach that's constantly held back by injuries, the GM, etc?

I am generally curious.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He should have, he was losing to us by 2 points which was pathetic considering considering the differences on the roster.
Was just messing with ya Aria. Frustrating season in general; I'm in detached mode tbh. Can't remember a season I've watched so sparingly/cared less about. I watched every game of agony that was the Campo era.

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT