Thoughts from last night's Hawks-Eagles game

Sydla

Reaction score
DLaw is one of the best DE in football. OUR DE tandem is better than the Eagles. I'll take Irving over Jernigan. When you look at the two front 4s I like ours better.

We need a LB more than we need a DT. S too.

Who is our DE tandem that is better than the Eagles? Lawrence and Irving?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Who is our DE tandem that is better than the Eagles? Lawrence and Irving?

Crawford and Lawrence are our starters; I just got done comparing 95 to other DT. DLaw and 98 have outplayed Graham and Curry both respectively and cumulatively.

Not surprised to see you cheerleading the Eagles again. You listen to too much Philly radio.

Sydla

Reaction score
Crawford and Lawrence are our starters; I just got done comparing 95 to other DT. DLaw and 98 have outplayed Graham and Curry both respectively and cumulatively.

Not surprised to see you cheerleading the Eagles again. You listen to too much Philly radio.

Not surprised to see you overvalue Cowboys players again.

I like Lawrence, I like Irving. Those are the pieces to build around. But this idea that the Eagles DL is worse than ours is just laughable at this point. And to think we don't need to bring in more pieces on the DL is also laughable.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not surprised to see you overvalue Cowboys players again.

I like Lawrence, I like Irving. Those are the pieces to build around. But this idea that the Eagles DL is worse than ours is just laughable at this point. And to think we don't need to bring in more pieces on the DL is also laughable.

I never said DL was worse. I said their DE were worse.

DLaw is the sack leader and has more TFL than Graham. Crawford has more sacks than Curry in far fewer snaps.

I am not saying that we could not upgrade the DL but the DL has been outstanding this year despite losing Price and Paea. They have been as similarly as productive as the Eagles DL.

Our problems on defense have been at S and LB not DT. You seem to ignore this discussion in favor of overvaluing the Eagles DL. Meanwhile I am not surprised that you once again overvalue Eagles players. They certainly seem your 2nd favorite team at the least.

75boyz

Reaction score
Fair enough. My biggest issues in giving him one more year are:

1) I don't buy the bad hand and excuses. You look around the league and you see teams overcoming injuries. Those teams tend to be well coached teams. And what happens next year if we have another injury or two? More excuses? At some point, he has to show he can overcome issues/injuries. In 7 years, he has not been able to show that.

2) You can't waste another year of Dak's development on this coaching staff. It's clear that Dak, while he has talent, needs to continue to refine his game - mechanics, reads, etc. I don't think this staff can help him with that and I do find it a bit odd that once Romo leaves the Cowboys, Dak reverts to what we've seen. I suspect the best "coach" Dak had last year wasn't Garrett or Linehan. It was Romo. I can't waste another year of Dak's potential development on a staff that, frankly, has shown very little in 7 years to think they actually get "it".

Hafta agree.

Always felt that Romo more developed himself over the years rather than Garrett or our quarterback whisperer Wade Wilson having anything to do with it.

I actually think Romo was a classic example of winning "in spite of" coaching.

Reactions: BAT

Proof

Reaction score
Good safeties and a good MIKE made it very difficult for Wentz. I'm not nutty about his ball placement. He's not Eli level inaccurate, who needed WR's with an enormous catch radius to corral his passes. But, Wentz doesn't make it easy for his WR's either. He's not exactly like catching passes from Drew Bledsoe either.

Wentz works best throwing passes between the numbers as he has a good feel for those passes. He'll look off the MIKE or a safety and then fire it to the open receiver that he looked off. I don't think he's a good deep passer, but he's like Romo in the sense that he'll create broken plays by escaping the pass rush and then a WR gets wide open. While the pass rush was great for the Seahawks, the Eagles really took away those passes between the numbers and didn't give up the deep ball and there wasn't much Wentz was going to do because he doesn't have the skills (yet) to beat teams on throws outside the numbers or stand in the pocket and beat a team deep without relying on the play to break down.

YR

Enbarsssed here, as I’m a 25+ year football fan, but I’ve neber known what between the numbers means

75boyz

Reaction score
Hafta agree.

Always felt that Romo more developed himself over the years rather than Garrett or our quarterback whisperer Wade Wilson having anything to do with it.

I actually think Romo was a classic example of winning "in spite of" coaching.

Furthermore,
What Zimmer has accomplished after losing Bridgewater, Bradford, Dalvin Cook and replacing ALL 5 offensive linemen in one year is one of the most amazing coaching/managing of players jobs I have ever witnessed.

Truly remarkable. Zimmers ability to achieve this much team success facing all the adversity may raise the expectation bar around the league and limit the tolerance of Team GMs hearing the "injury excuse" as an explanation for losses.

Best coaching job I've seen in a long long time, Props to Zim.

haleyrules

Reaction score
DFW media...forget about it. They want "access" instead of asking any worthy questions. I've never heard any detailed questions (or followups) that doesn't give JG an easy out; instead of putting pressure to own a problem or detailing a schematic failure.
Gutless.

Proof

Reaction score
Pass that hits the WR in the middle of their chest. No catch radius needed.

lol. Nah. Every qb is better when they hit a receiver right in their chest. Just looked it up (like I could have done all along lol ) and looks like it’s “the middle of the field”

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Furthermore,
What Zimmer has accomplished after losing Bridgewater, Bradford, Dalvin Cook and replacing ALL 5 offensive linemen in one year is one of the most amazing coaching/managing of players jobs I have ever witnessed.

Truly remarkable. Zimmers ability to achieve this much team success facing all the adversity may raise the expectation bar around the league and limit the tolerance of Team GMs hearing the "injury excuse" as an explanation for losses.

Best coaching job I've seen in a long long time, Props to Zim.

Seeing how the Vikings are a way better team this year than last is a testament to his coaching. Last year's Oline was HORRENDOUS. They lost their starting QB and RB this year and haven't missed a beat. Their game plan isn't the same every week. They played differently against ATL yesterday than how they played DET the week before.

Yet, our coaching staff openly admits their game plan doesn't change no matter what.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Thoughts as it pertains to us.

- You see what dominant DLs can do. Seattle's DL was all over Wentz all night. Philly's DL was dominant as well but Wilson's ability to escape and free lance was able to overcome that a bit. But watching last night reminded me that we need to pour more into our front four. We have two legit high level pieces - Lawrence and Irving. Collins has potential and Crawford is a solid performer. I want more. So if a guy like Landry or Chubb is sitting there in the first round, I have no problems grabbing them. If a kid like Wilkins, the DT from Clemson is there, I have no problem taking him. People will say "well we need LBs". I get that. But frankly, a dominant DL can cover up a lot of other issues. Philly doesn't have "great" LBs but they are competent and look better because their DL helps them. So my priority would be finish the DL this offseason. If we came out of this draft with say a Landry or Wilkins or Chubb and then also added a guy like Poe or Logan in FA................ the effect on this defense would be immense IMO.

- Wentz was off last night but the thing I noticed and others noticed was how they seem to have a lot of open WRs. I don't think, other than TE, that the Eagles have such better skill players than we do. But yet, they seemingly have guys open all over the place. I can't recall a game where I came away thinking what a great called game we had, where guys were open, we made it easier on Dak, etc.

- Kris Richard, the DC for Seattle, might be a name to watch going forward if we need a new head coach at any point in the next few years. I think I'd prefer an offensive minded guy but people speak glowingly of Richard.

All Seattle defense that created Wentz problems.

85% of the time they played their nickel package. SAM (Michael Wilhoite) was on the field for 15 plays; nickel corner Justin Coleman had 62 plays.
They creep Bryan McDougal up to share middle with Bobby Wagner.
Underneath coverage is K.J. Wright, Bobby Wagner, Bryan McDougal, and Justin Coleman. These guys direct your receivers disrupting routes.
Shaquill Griffin and Byron Maxwell have outside deep coverage all the way to the endzone with help from Earl Thomas.
The whole idea is to force the QB to make a quick decision and throw.
Earl Thomas rocks! Reads and reacts to the ball is faster than the Flash.

Overall its a confusing defense, a defense of opportunity that creates mistakes. Consider:
Eagles hadn't been held to under 100 yard rushing since the opener. They had 98 last night.
Eagles hadn't been held to under 20 points all season.
Eagles hadn't been held to under 30 points in 6 games.
Wentz had an awesome play running for his life down the sideline just to get the Eagles single TD.

Reactions: BAT

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
- Wentz was off last night but the thing I noticed and others noticed was how they seem to have a lot of open WRs. I don't think, other than TE, that the Eagles have such better skill players than we do. But yet, they seemingly have guys open all over the place. I can't recall a game where I came away thinking what a great called game we had, where guys were open, we made it easier on Dak, etc.

Let’s not forget that we were actually leading that game at halftime then collapsed in the second half.

Wentz is better right now than Dak and, sad to say, their wide receivers are leagues better than ours. However if Zeke plays, we convert a lot of those first downs, pound the ball and hold the lead.

Anyone who thinks that the Eagles are somehow on another level is mistaken. They’ll win the division but I don’t think they’ll get one of the byes, and they’ll be out early.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
lol. Nah. Every qb is better when they hit a receiver right in their chest. Just looked it up (like I could have done all along lol ) and looks like it’s “the middle of the field”

Played football most of my life. Never saw any numbers in the middle of the field, unless they were on a jersey.