Twitter: Thoughts needed on this latest Smith piece

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Son, you clearly don’t understand football. Don’t talk to us about numbers. We’ve been watching football from our recliner with a beer in our hand longer than these so called “athletes” have been alive. Hell, I’ve forgot more about football than Jaylon Smith will ever know.

I remember, back when my Pawpaw took me to see the Cowboys play in nineteen hundred and sixty eight, he pointed out Lee Roy Jordan and said “Junior, that right there is a football player”. Ever since, I’ve been able to just look at a Cowboys linebacker and know right away if they had any of Lee Roy in ‘em. Took about four seconds for Jaylon to fail the Pawpaw test.

That Jaylon may know how to sell sunglasses but he ain’t no Lee Roy Jordan, that’s for sure.

Now, I don’t care for my modern Cowboys to have any interests outside of football, especially if it involves doing “community work.” That sounds like communism. I also don’t want em tryin’ to sell anything or make much money. Now hold on, I know you may *think* that sounds like communism too but you’d be wrong. It’s called respect and leadership.

Speaking of sellin’ stuff, I don’t want to hear any nonsense about Walt Garrison sellin’ chew back while he was playing. We only kinda knew that it caused cancer and when I started packin’ a dip, I didn’t care because Walt said it would give me “pure tobacco pleasure”.

Anyway, it was different because he played for Landry and if Coach Landry was ok with it, then we’d be fools to second guess. Besides, everyone knows that Skoal Long Cut makes you more of a man than any of these new Cowboys could ever be. Well, except for The Judge, The President, General Lee, Wolf Hunter, and Fredbeard.

Damn sure Skoal will never keep you from “avoiding contact” like that sunglasses sellin’, charity contributin’, community awareness raisin’, D-Law befriendin’, Hot Boyz tweetin’, Jaylon.

If none of that convinced ya, all I can say is you ain’t been watching close enough to your tv on Sundays. You might also be a commie.

Now, let me crack open this here Budweiser and get back to watching my vhs of Super Bowl XII
:clap:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Nice to see a professional athlete graduate from the school that positioned him for a career in sports. I also like the work he is doing to help spur growth in minority entrepreneurship. The tide of opportunity lifts many boats.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I know we would often like for these young men to do nothing but live in a one-bedroom adjacent to the practice facility and lift, eat right and study film
There you go !! thats what they all should do till they win 3 SB's in a row.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I am torn on this stuff. Clearly the intentions here are a good thing. I have completely flipped on Smith though. Any other player I would like this. Smith? Just seems phony to me. This guy is all about his brand and image. I wish he would have mastered football a few more seasons before diving head first into this stuff. It seems like such a distraction for a guy that repeatedly avoided contact as a NFL linebacker. I see more of that this coming season and I will be convinced the guy isn’t serious about football but is really serious about being Jaylon Smith.

Am I wrong here?

Yea. You’re wrong and totally out of line here. Until he shows inconsistencies in his efforts or does something to totally contrast this endeavor you are foul for even suggesting such. You wouldn’t question Witten or Sean Lee being genuine in this situation now would you?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
My friend when you have a DL like Dallas does the LBs get lots of tackles. A causal viewing of the games especially in the second half of the season will show 54 doing lots of hopping around and bad angles to avoid contact.
and we saw a guy who missed them tackles in Lee. There might be alot of chances for tackles but you still gotta make them and he did.

142 tackle 1int 1fr 2.5sacks 9PD 6TFL

While he did have a couple of bad games, this is def a very good yr.

The guy tackled, he covered, and he rushed the passer effectively

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I've been down on Jaylon basically since he was drafted, but I can't really hate on him for trying to do something that benefits his bank account and also helps minority owned businesses.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I wasn't a big fan of Jaylon at the end of the year getting beat in coverage and over celebrating WAY too much..bothered me...but I'm not sure why trying to make a difference in people's lives is something to scoff at or look down on. Good for him. I'd like to see him in a D this year where it allows him to attack vs get caught in the wake at times. We will see from there.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Yea. You’re wrong and totally out of line here. Until he shows inconsistencies in his efforts or does something to totally contrast this endeavor you are foul for even suggesting such. You wouldn’t question Witten or Sean Lee being genuine in this situation now would you?

A fool? Not at all. Totally out of line? Easy cupcake I was asking a question.

I also sense another type of accusation by asking about Lee and Witten. That says all I need to know about you. Just another overly sensitive, delusional cupcake.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The charity stuff is great, but that's great no matter who does it.

What's irritating is the smug attitude he exudes even in short interviews. Rarely has a mediocre player given off such an air that he's a superstar. It's so clear that in his mind he's already made it, because he got the contract and has the brand.

He needs a Parcells type to bring him down to earth. Unfortunately, I doubt MM or his coaches are that guy.

keysersoze

Reaction score
The charity stuff is great, but that's great no matter who does it.

What's irritating is the smug attitude he exudes even in short interviews. Rarely has a mediocre player given off such an air that he's a superstar. It's so clear that in his mind he's already made it, because he got the contract and has the brand.

He needs a Parcells type to bring him down to earth. Unfortunately, I doubt MM or his coaches are that guy.
Wow!!! Just WOW!!!:facepalm:

Kwyn

Reaction score
I don't care what he does off the field. I don't care what any of them do off the field because I have 0 interest in them beyond the field.

I do care that he was the King of Regression on the team last season and celebrating when the team was losing. He is in the single most critical position on the D and failed to deliver too many times. I am assuming Nolan's D is like most of the others, the MLB should lead the team in tackles as Landry's did every season he coached and Johnson's did as well.

I wonder if he's 100% or if he ever will be but if I can see his obvious drawbacks on the field, I don't think that's lost on an OC. I think Vander Esch's presence on the field last season helped cover these flaws and Sean Lee was the physical guy in the LB corps last season, that should not be. If he has the same kind of season this year, they should replace him and let him pursue his off field endeavors.
You praise LVE and Lee and down Jaylon?

What games were you watching?

LVE only played half the time and drafting him is now starting to look very questionable since his health issues were well known at the time. And if you want to talk about inappropriate celebrations, let’s discuss that stupid wolf call. You know he’s selling that right? You and I both saw him howling after insignificant plays or in a losing effort. Why does he get a pass? Is it because it somehow makes us feel we’re in the Dakotas tracking buffalo or something?

Lee? He’s had it. He’s never been reliable from a health perspective and there are plenty of plays last season where he was beat or failed to execute. He was still serviceable player and did a decent job but he still seems to get a free pass from fans who think that every play he’s out there being George S Patton.

a lot of hypocrisy happens on this board.

keysersoze

Reaction score
A fool? Not at all. Totally out of line? Easy cupcake I was asking a question.

I also sense another type of accusation by asking about Lee and Witten. That says all I need to know about you. Just another overly sensitive, delusional cupcake.
Cupcake? Lol. Yea. Right... First off P#%%ycat, I said FOUL. Not FOOL. Although you may be a bit of both. Yea. You are out of line for questioning that Man’s genuineness in that situation. What makes you question that? Why? Your opinion of what he should do on the field has nothing to do with him helping people in his real life. What makes you think otherwise? Explain that.
And I couldn’t care less about what you think I’m accusing you of. So what? What you gonna do? Cry to a mod??? Lol. And if it’s just an accusation why didn’t you answer it? Hhhmmmm??? Maybe I’m not so delusional huh? Your punk azz would be calling Witten and Lee great men for doing what Jaylon is doing. Without question. SMDH. Sicko!!!

keysersoze

Reaction score
You praise LVE and Lee and down Jaylon?

What games were you watching?

LVE only played half the time and drafting him is now starting to look very questionable since his health issues were well known at the time. And if you want to talk about inappropriate celebrations, let’s discuss that stupid wolf call. You know he’s selling that right? You and I both saw him howling after insignificant plays or in a losing effort. Why does he get a pass? Is it because it somehow makes us feel we’re in the Dakotas tracking buffalo or something?

Lee? He’s had it. He’s never been reliable from a health perspective and there are plenty of plays last season where he was beat or failed to execute. He was still serviceable player and did a decent job but he still seems to get a free pass from fans who think that every play he’s out there being George S Patton.

a lot of hypocrisy happens on this board.
Yep!!! Goes to show how sick some people truly are. Ignorance at it’s finest.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Son, you clearly don’t understand football. Don’t talk to us about numbers. We’ve been watching football from our recliner with a beer in our hand longer than these so called “athletes” have been alive. Hell, I’ve forgot more about football than Jaylon Smith will ever know.

I remember, back when my Pawpaw took me to see the Cowboys play in nineteen hundred and sixty eight, he pointed out Lee Roy Jordan and said “Junior, that right there is a football player”. Ever since, I’ve been able to just look at a Cowboys linebacker and know right away if they had any of Lee Roy in ‘em. Took about four seconds for Jaylon to fail the Pawpaw test.

That Jaylon may know how to sell sunglasses but he ain’t no Lee Roy Jordan, that’s for sure.

Now, I don’t care for my modern Cowboys to have any interests outside of football, especially if it involves doing “community work.” That sounds like communism. I also don’t want em tryin’ to sell anything or make much money. Now hold on, I know you may *think* that sounds like communism too but you’d be wrong. It’s called respect and leadership.

Speaking of sellin’ stuff, I don’t want to hear any nonsense about Walt Garrison sellin’ chew back while he was playing. We only kinda knew that it caused cancer and when I started packin’ a dip, I didn’t care because Walt said it would give me “pure tobacco pleasure”.

Anyway, it was different because he played for Landry and if Coach Landry was ok with it, then we’d be fools to second guess. Besides, everyone knows that Skoal Long Cut makes you more of a man than any of these new Cowboys could ever be. Well, except for The Judge, The President, General Lee, Wolf Hunter, and Fredbeard.

Damn sure Skoal will never keep you from “avoiding contact” like that sunglasses sellin’, charity contributin’, community awareness raisin’, D-Law befriendin’, Hot Boyz tweetin’, Jaylon.

If none of that convinced ya, all I can say is you ain’t been watching close enough to your tv on Sundays. You might also be a commie.

Now, let me crack open this here Budweiser and get back to watching my vhs of Super Bowl XII

Written by the Lee Roy Jordan of posters ...

Cas2800

Reaction score
How can a guy who what’s 6th in tackles in the NFC be crapped on for avoiding contact? What the hell?
Because other teams saw him as a target. Someone to go after as a weak link. Having to make a tackle means you allowed the completion. TE's abused Jaylon Smith.