Twitter: Thoughts needed on this latest Smith piece

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This I agree with. I'm not a fan of on field celebrations in the middle of a game under any circumstance because the accomplishment is in the win, not one play, but that's especially true when the team is getting beat. I understand being pumped up and letting the intensity show through, but like you said, what he does seems to go beyond that and appears to be a celebration. He's not the only player that does this, but it can be pretty noticeable with him.

Exactly how I feel. Celebrate the big things, the ones that matter. Not simply doing your job. Doing that cheapens everything and makes you look foolish and immature.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Don’t confuse a variety of interests for a lack of commitment

Jaylon being all about Jaylon is a meme at this point. I wouldn’t get too worked up about it.

He’s trying to make a difference and use his platform to improve people’s lives. Nothing negative about that.

I know we would often like for these young men to do nothing but live in a one-bedroom adjacent to the practice facility and lift, eat right and study film with maybe a few hours a day to play video games, but that’s not a life and it’s not realistic.

It will be ok
This. Also he has had a taste or football mortality and probably understands this better than most players his age that come "tomorrow" you need to do something other than football. So you need a plan in place.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am torn on this stuff. Clearly the intentions here are a good thing. I have completely flipped on Smith though. Any other player I would like this. Smith? Just seems phony to me. This guy is all about his brand and image. I wish he would have mastered football a few more seasons before diving head first into this stuff. It seems like such a distraction for a guy that repeatedly avoided contact as a NFL linebacker. I see more of that this coming season and I will be convinced the guy isn’t serious about football but is really serious about being Jaylon Smith.

Am I wrong here?

that's Jerry. he partnered with him and Jerry is all about business and marketing....and its Jerry who is allowing Smith to use the cowboys facilities to conduct his business meetings...the focus is not on football.....that's the problem with the cowboys and the GM

CWR

Reaction score
AGREE TOTALLY!! That's why Michael Bennett spoke out screaming at these players! He was right and you are right. Too many times during a bad loss and afterwards, you see players act unaffected by it...just unphased,joking even...no fire, no anger, emotionless. Where the hell was the outrage from other players? Why was Bennett and MAYBE a small handful of guys, the only ones mad as hell? Its a culture problem and another way you change the culture of the players is, you make an example out of someone. PLAYERS BETTER WATCH IT! We gonna see a couple surprise cuts and trades. I see it coming a mile away. MM has indicated as much if you look at his scorched Earth house cleaning/and hires on staff. He means business.

Yeah its telling that a guy who was only with the team for a couple weeks was the one screaming. We are obviously speculating, but I can only imagine it pissed him off seeing their attitude towards losing. I cant believe youre digging down deep and giving it everything you've got, yet take losses in stride. I think on game day most guys give it their all because they are putting out film if nothing else. You have to wonder how hard some of these guys work during the week and in the offseason. You cant convince me the same guys busting their tails with film study, the weight room, conditioning and practice are the same guys who losing doesn't bother. When you give 110% it hurts to fail.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don’t like his post play celebrations especially when they’re behind by 20 pts but you’re wrong about him repeatedly avoiding contact. His # of tackles (seeking contact) prove you to be wrong.
He will take an open hit on a ball carrier. They are referring to him not engaging and shedding blockers to make a play or engaging to hold the point so others can get there. LB's are going to get tackles. Even bad ones.

Overall, our LB play this year was probably no better than a C and Jaylon was the worst of the group although LVE was bad as well. (I am giving LVE a little slack for being injured)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's called actually watching the games. How many videos have been uploaded here showing him whiffing on tackles and / or totally avoiding contact???
Obviously you've chosen to either not watch them or just totally disregard them for your own personal agenda.

I have no problem with JS doing what he can to empower the minority community. The condom thing is a head scratcher though...
I watched everyone of his 89 solo tackles. You buffs are just nuts.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Son, you clearly don’t understand football. Don’t talk to us about numbers. We’ve been watching football from our recliner with a beer in our hand longer than these so called “athletes” have been alive. Hell, I’ve forgot more about football than Jaylon Smith will ever know.

I remember, back when my Pawpaw took me to see the Cowboys play in nineteen hundred and sixty eight, he pointed out Lee Roy Jordan and said “Junior, that right there is a football player”. Ever since, I’ve been able to just look at a Cowboys linebacker and know right away if they had any of Lee Roy in ‘em. Took about four seconds for Jaylon to fail the Pawpaw test.

That Jaylon may know how to sell sunglasses but he ain’t no Lee Roy Jordan, that’s for sure.

Now, I don’t care for my modern Cowboys to have any interests outside of football, especially if it involves doing “community work.” That sounds like communism. I also don’t want em tryin’ to sell anything or make much money. Now hold on, I know you may *think* that sounds like communism too but you’d be wrong. It’s called respect and leadership.

Speaking of sellin’ stuff, I don’t want to hear any nonsense about Walt Garrison sellin’ chew back while he was playing. We only kinda knew that it caused cancer and when I started packin’ a dip, I didn’t care because Walt said it would give me “pure tobacco pleasure”.

Anyway, it was different because he played for Landry and if Coach Landry was ok with it, then we’d be fools to second guess. Besides, everyone knows that Skoal Long Cut makes you more of a man than any of these new Cowboys could ever be. Well, except for The Judge, The President, General Lee, Wolf Hunter, and Fredbeard.

Damn sure Skoal will never keep you from “avoiding contact” like that sunglasses sellin’, charity contributin’, community awareness raisin’, D-Law befriendin’, Hot Boyz tweetin’, Jaylon.

If none of that convinced ya, all I can say is you ain’t been watching close enough to your tv on Sundays. You might also be a commie.

Now, let me crack open this here Budweiser and get back to watching my vhs of Super Bowl XII
Ok ya drunk.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You’re naive if you think tackle totals are an indicator of ability or physical play; you get credited for running a guy out of bounds or gently tapping a player while he’s on the ground the same way you credited for spearing a guy Bill Goldberg style in his tracks.

Tackles are an unofficial stat and the reason you hear about teams sending in their numbers compared to what the league has tallied.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...l-tackling-history-stat-leaders-lavonte-david
I get it. Haters gonna hate. I guess he bought his way on becoming a Pro Bowler.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Jason Witten does not wear a condom because there is no protection from Jason Witten.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He will take an open hit on a ball carrier. They are referring to him not engaging and shedding blockers to make a play or engaging to hold the point so others can get there. LB's are going to get tackles. Even bad ones.

Overall, our LB play this year was probably no better than a C and Jaylon was the worst of the group although LVE was bad as well. (I am giving LVE a little slack for being injured)
My whole argument was that he doesn’t avoid contact like the poster said. He doesn’t.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard for me to bust on someone's contributions in charity and that type of thing. Whether I like or dislike a person, I can appreciate the effort or contributions towards charitable groups or helping people.
Might think someone is two faced and out for themselves but if they go to a children hospital to visit some sick kids I think it is a good thing. Even if their intent is just to look good in a PR move, if the children get a little something positive out of it, I am ok with that and applaud it.

But there are people in the entertainment industry that do come across as fake. Just doing things to better their own image.
I also think there are just some good people out there that do things and act in ways that are honest without bad intent. I think sometimes we can be so jaded or negative that we don't give the benefit of the doubt that some people are just good people doing things for the right reason and to try a make a positive input in others lives.

I am not sure about Jaylon. I tend to think he is a good guy with good intentions who also does market his brand and himself. I don't think there are bad intentions behind it. I just don't get that vibe from him. As far as his play, he makes plenty of positive plays and at times he plays like crap. But I could say that for a good deal of players in the nfl.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The best part of playing for the Dallas Cowboys is you dont have to win anything, or even be all that good on the field, yet still get paid and be a star.

Jerry Jones' sunshine pumping self entitled culture.

Smith's contract was nothing but a slap in the face to Elliot at the time, and it cost the team dearly.

If this guy isnt case in point to never sign anyone in advance of when you must, I don't know who is.