Thoughts on big win vs GB

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
It wasnt all that pretty at times, but a W is what matters most and there wasnt much doubt about which team was better.

1) great running game tonight, only play that stunk was Barber's fumble. He absolutely cannot put that ball on the ground. His first fumble at least was a big hit, the 2nd looked like a result of being out of gas to me.

2) pretty good defensive game, especially considering we arnt at full strength....the tackling needs some work still though

3) Owens caught 2 for 17, Crayton caught none, Romo has a less than steller night...last yr we lose this game without a doubt...this yr we run the ball great and make some big plays with other guys (ie, F Jones, Austin, even Bennett made a huge play) and we win

4) Red zone offense has got to be worked on...this game should have been a runaway

5) We should have put this game away, that was something that was common-place the past two seasons...not putting teams away when we had the chance. Gotta finish teams off and stomp them when you have the chance.

6) Adam Jones got us a FG because of a nice forced fumble, but otherwise looked like the worst player on the field for us tonight. Was awful on punt returns, gave up numerous completions (incl getting beat bad by Driver deep) and dropped a fairly easy int on the drive GB ended up scoring their TD on. Mike Jenkins is probably better than him right now.

Great road win though, have to be pleased to go into GB and win. Just wish we'd have finished them off. Now hopefully we can turn around and beat the Skins...what an opening month if we do.

:starspin

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
- Barber shouldn't have even been in the game at that point.

- But I think 27-9 late in the 4th quarter is putting a team away.

- And I thought Adam looked really good tonight -- definitely his best game so far (regular and pre-season)

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Pacman is still rusty and yeah maybe Jenkins should start. We should have pulled Barber mid 4rth and put Choice in, Witten also for Bennett...

I love this team!!!!!:starspin

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
theogt;2276783 said:
-
Barber shouldn't have even been in the game at that point.

I agree, he was gassed IMO, and we dont need him gettign hurt in junk time.

- But I think 27-9 late in the 4th quarter is putting a team away.

the game was still a little in doubt after they marched the field and scored...granted it was against a prevent defense, but it was not over. If Barber doesnt fumble we run more time off the clock and probably at least get another FG

- And I thought Adam looked really good tonight -- definitely his best game so far (regular and pre-season)

I guess we'd have to disagree...other than the forced fumble I thought he was pretty bad.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Barber did have some rare issues with the ball. The one where the ball flipped in the air and was eventually caught by a Cowboy, there was another time he lost the ball but got it back, but I think the ground caused it and of course the last one in the 4th Quarter.

Tony Romo was indeed average and at times seemed to force the ball. However, the fact that we won the game and Terrell Owens and Tony Romo had extremely medicore nights should tell you just how good this team is. You can tell the Packers were hell bent on rolling with the game plan employed by Buffalo last year.

I am not down on Adam Jones. As long as he isn't getting beat deep and being targeted by opposing offense, I am happy with his production.

I also loved the play calling of Jason Garrett, especially in the second half when we kept on pounding the ball and we started specifically having Witten lineup in the backfield and catch the ball.

Oh, the guy I wanted to slap upside the head was Greg Ellis. He came free on Aaron Rogers 2 times, the first time failed to bring him down and the 2nd time, got totally juked out of his jockstrap by Aaron Rogers.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
dbair1967;2276827 said:
theogt;2276783 said:
-

I agree, he was gassed IMO, and we dont need him gettign hurt in junk time.

the game was still a little in doubt after they marched the field and scored...granted it was against a prevent defense, but it was not over. If Barber doesnt fumble we run more time off the clock and probably at least get another FG

I guess we'd have to disagree...other than the forced fumble I thought he was pretty bad.

David, we need to work your use of the Quote Feature :D .

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
dbair1967;2276776 said:
It wasnt all that pretty at times, but a W is what matters most and there wasnt much doubt about which team was better.

1) great running game tonight, only play that stunk was Barber's fumble. He absolutely cannot put that ball on the ground. His first fumble at least was a big hit, the 2nd looked like a result of being out of gas to me.

2) pretty good defensive game, especially considering we arnt at full strength....the tackling needs some work still though

3) Owens caught 2 for 17, Crayton caught none, Romo has a less than steller night...last yr we lose this game without a doubt...this yr we run the ball great and make some big plays with other guys (ie, F Jones, Austin, even Bennett made a huge play) and we win

4) Red zone offense has got to be worked on...this game should have been a runaway

5) We should have put this game away, that was something that was common-place the past two seasons...not putting teams away when we had the chance. Gotta finish teams off and stomp them when you have the chance.

6) Adam Jones got us a FG because of a nice forced fumble, but otherwise looked like the worst player on the field for us tonight. Was awful on punt returns, gave up numerous completions (incl getting beat bad by Driver deep) and dropped a fairly easy int on the drive GB ended up scoring their TD on. Mike Jenkins is probably better than him right now.Great road win though, have to be pleased to go into GB and win. Just wish we'd have finished them off. Now hopefully we can turn around and beat the Skins...what an opening month if we do.

:starspin

Stupid. He played a fantastic game. Returns were good and forced their only to of the game.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'm assuming Pacman was at fault on the long throw up the sideline? Other than that, I didn't see anything else that was bad. The punt returns weren't great, but he was trying everything he could to break free, but there just wasn't any room.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Ozzu;2276879 said:
I'm assuming Pacman was at fault on the long throw up the sideline? Other than that, I didn't see anything else that was bad. The punt returns weren't great, but he was trying everything he could to break free, but there just wasn't any room.

Not sure who was at fault but the worst part about that play was that the Packers went Max Protect and only had 1 or 2 guys running routes.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2276890 said:
Not sure who was at fault but the worst part about that play was that the Packers went Max Protect and only had 1 or 2 guys running routes.

I'm not even sure the play was designed that way. Maybe I'm not giving enough credit, but it looked like both Pacman and the receiver just stopped and then when Rodgers kept standing back there looking, the receiver took off up the field.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dozin@theknick;2276876 said:
Stupid. He played a fantastic game. Returns were good and forced their only to of the game.

3 returns for 13 yds is good? He also cost us a ton of field position on the one, when he ran one way, came back the other and we saw two flaggs for illegal blocks come out. If he just caught the ball and went nowhere on that one we'd have had the ball right at midfield.

He gave up a number of completions, and got beat deep bad by Donalds Driver.

I gave him props for the forced fumble, it was a great hit. That was pretty much all he contributed IMO though.

Eskimo

Reaction score
On the deep shot to Driver, looked like we were in zone and there should have been a safety over the top. I might be wrong, but that's the way I saw it.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Before the Browns game, we had people warning it was a potential loser. Before the Eagles game, people were seriously saying we were going to lose and were a weaker team. But we beat an otherwise dominant team. Then this week, same stuff about how we were going to lose to the awesomeness of Rogers and Grant. But we pretty solidly won at their house.

At some point our fans are going to have to accept the fact we are really good and can win even when part of game is off.

Green Bay was rolling and is tough at home. We handled the game.

I feel good about this team and can't wait until we finally put together a complete game! Watch out when we get rolling!

Great start to our season playing three difficult games.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2276890 said:

I thought it looked like he thought he had deep help? I didn't think his performance was that bad. He seems to be around the ball a lot and tries to make things happen. He will rip some balls loose on D this year and will break a return or three before the season is done.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
2much2soon;2276947 said:
I thought it looked like he thought he had deep help? I didn't think his performance was that bad. He seems to be around the ball a lot and tries to make things happen. He will rip some balls loose on D this year and will break a return or three before the season is done.

dont get me wrong, I do think he will improve as the yr wears on and will end up being a huge addition, but I dont think he had a good game tonight.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Looked to me like he released Driver expecting him to be covered down field.

Anyway, I agree with the comment above, if 27-9 with five minutes to go isn't putting someone away, what is?

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2276776 said:
Amen to dat.
dbair1967;2276776 said:
I understand the concern but it happens to the best of them sometimes. Remember in '91 when Emmitt fumbled against the Oilers in OT and it cost us the game? Atleast that didn't happen here and I think Barber will make sure of that judgeing the look on his face afterward, he'll be fine.

[/quote]