Thoughts on Tolbert from last year to this year

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Tolbert still has the Playoffs to make a jump in confidence and production, so hopefully he makes some plays. I'm not impressed by his output this season as I believe Brooks could've put up those numbers.
Brooks will get his chance to shine in increments. Hope he makes the best of them as he clearly has talent.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Tolbert still has the Playoffs to make a jump in confidence and production, so hopefully he makes some plays. I'm not impressed by his output this season as I believe Brooks could've put up those numbers.
Brooks isn't catching a bomb on xavien Howard. Tolbert is clearly more talented.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked what I seen in his progress. But I am not going to sit and judge that he should be better at this point. He looked well in his opportunities. He has not disappointed. We will see what happens next year.

But if a WR drops to them somehow, they can’t pass him up. And that is not a knock on Tolbert or any other WR.

birdwells1

Reaction score
22-268-2 isn't very impressive for a 3rd rounder now in his 2nd year. I get he will only see so many targets. But he has shown improvement and really looks the part. He should continue to get better and next year be ready to make a much bigger contribution.
He was the #4 wr for most of the year.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
He’s shown progress and should get a legit shot to be the No 3 WR next year at minimum.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What a turn around, no i'm not saying he's the next best thing. This is the same guy that was drafted at a decent spot in the draft, in which you expected him to be ready to go. Last year we all remember the mistake he made in lining up offsides. Going to this year, he's made vast improvements, and I think his ceiling is looking really good right now. Please give your thoughts on Tolbert!
Tolbert is currently about a WR4 and you can get those as UDFAs. Still, he's here, and it's nice to see him progress. From what I've heard of his interviews, I like him. But on the field he hasn't looked like much of anything.
For perspective, Sam Hurd was more productive in his second season.
Sam Hurd at PFF

quickccc

Reaction score
I think he has passed Wilson, or can be better. Wilson is very over rated by his fans on here.
I'm one of those overrated fans.
As i thought Cedrick Wilson showed more run after the catch/run skills than what i've seen from Tolbert.

Wilson also had value per special teams (punt returner) whereas Tolbert has been a disaster on special teams
(ala two fake punt plays)

and frankly what I'm seeing from Tolbert is similar to what i've seen from Gallup. Neither are big separation guys, and
the CBs are always hip to hip with them. Their game will always be fight/contest for the ball.

Kudos to Tolbert though, he is completely day vs night, from what he was last year as a rookie, to what he is flashing now.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tolbert is currently about a WR4 and you can get those as UDFAs. Still, he's here, and it's nice to see him progress. From what I've heard of his interviews, I like him. But on the field he hasn't looked like much of anything.
Sam Hurd at PFF
Oh .. like we did so with James Washington last year, right ?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Sam Hurd at PFF
Hurd was another small school guy. Difference is he was nowhere near as talented as tolbert which is why his career flopped after year 2. Next year tolbert will be fine.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Is Tolbert at least on a Cedrick Wilson level ? .... now or not yet ?
After Wilson's third season with Dallas, he had 22 receptions, 235 yards, and 2 TDs. He missed his entire rookie year.

After Tolbert's second season with Dallas, he has 24 receptions, 280 yards and 2 TDs.

Seems they are similar players. Wilson stepped up nicely in his fourth season in the fourth WR role. If Tolbert can do that next year in his third season, he can be an asset for the Cowboys.

heir

Reaction score
I never really had a problem with him. Small wr, from a small school making a huge jump. I personally didn't think all that bust talk was warranted. We need to give players time to develop. Maybe they work out, maybe they don't. But after year one you can't tell.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Is Tolbert at least on a Cedrick Wilson level ? .... now or not yet ?
Cedrick Wilson at the point he left us, I don't think so. Wilson just "looked better" to me even if he didn't have the numbers. Fine to keep Tolbert around but I want an all-out competition for his slot and if he wins out, good on him. But I liked what I saw out of Billy-Johnson we released to make room for Collins and others more than I liked Tolbert for that short span. Hope we bring him back.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm one of those overrated fans.
As i thought Cedrick Wilson showed more run after the catch/run skills than what i've seen from Tolbert.

Wilson also had value per special teams (punt returner) whereas Tolbert has been a disaster on special teams
(ala two fake punt plays)

and frankly what I'm seeing from Tolbert is similar to what i've seen from Gallup. Neither are big separation guys, and
the CBs are always hip to hip with them. Their game will always be fight/contest for the ball.

Kudos to Tolbert though, he is completely day vs night, from what he was last year as a rookie, to what he is flashing now.
Wilson had a few flash big games. Overall he was no different. Other than special teams In the return game.