Thoughts on Tolbert from last year to this year

CWR

Reaction score
22-268-2 isn't very impressive for a 3rd rounder now in his 2nd year. I get he will only see so many targets. But he has shown improvement and really looks the part. He should continue to get better and next year be ready to make a much bigger contribution.
Yes especially with Gallup gone.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I never really had a problem with him. Small wr, from a small school making a huge jump. I personally didn't think all that bust talk was warranted. We need to give players time to develop. Maybe they work out, maybe they don't. But after year one you can't tell.
Many WRs need time to develop. Some do and some don't. Every team misses from time to time. The Ravens drafted Devin Duvernay in the third round of the 2020 draft and he has provided very little from the WR position. Hopefully Tolbert develops into a reliable WR4 or possibly WR3.

CWR

Reaction score
Tolbert’s best asset is his ability to improvise when the play breaks down.
Hes made some pretty sure handed grabs when we needed it as well. He seems to be good at everything, but maybe not great anywhere, yet.

I think there's definitely room for optimism. He's humble and a worker. Guys like that have an opportunity to improve those first few offseasons in particular.

quickccc

Reaction score
After Wilson's third season with Dallas, he had 22 receptions, 235 yards, and 2 TDs. He missed his entire rookie year.

After Tolbert's second season with Dallas, he has 24 receptions, 280 yards and 2 TDs.

Seems they are similar players. Wilson stepped up nicely in his fourth season in the fourth WR role. If Tolbert can do that next year in his third season, he can be an asset for the Cowboys.
I'm not going off stats, anyone can sit & get on the net to watch mere stats. they won't always tell the tale.
i'm going off live TV and film- eye ball test.

here are samples of Wilson's RAC skills (run-after-catch)

Mr_437

Reaction score
I'm not going off stats, anyone can sit & get on the net to watch mere stats. they won't always tell the tale.

Tolbert's RAC is nonexistent, hope he makes some plays tho. Ced did some really good things in his time in Dallas and there's no comparison at this point, Tolbert needs more time.

joseephuss

Reaction score

And Wilson didn't really show that until his fourth season in the league. I'm a fan of Wilson and hoped Dallas could have kept him, but knew it wasn't worth the money required to do so. The stats merely support the eyeball test that Wilson was not significantly better than Tolbert after two years of actual playing time in Dallas. Maybe Tolbert can progress in his third year the way Wilson did in his fourth.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Don't forget that pretty ball he threw to Lamb in the Minnesota game. Best pass Lamb saw that night. Lol. Tolbert ain't this ....... yet.

rambo2

Reaction score
He could easily double his production if Lamb wasn't on this team.

exciter

Reaction score
What a turn around, no i'm not saying he's the next best thing. This is the same guy that was drafted at a decent spot in the draft, in which you expected him to be ready to go. Last year we all remember the mistake he made in lining up offsides. Going to this year, he's made vast improvements, and I think his ceiling is looking really good right now. Please give your thoughts on Tolbert!
WR from a spread offense in the Sun Belt division. You can expect him to need at least year of development just learning what a route tree is.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a turn around, no i'm not saying he's the next best thing. This is the same guy that was drafted at a decent spot in the draft, in which you expected him to be ready to go. Last year we all remember the mistake he made in lining up offsides. Going to this year, he's made vast improvements, and I think his ceiling is looking really good right now. Please give your thoughts on Tolbert!
The kid's got the goods and liking what I'm seeing.
Might have a contender here................... :cool:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He has proven that he can be serviceable as a #3, nothing more. He doesn’t seem to separate any better than Gallup. But, when the play breaks down and others are covered, he does seem to understand how to present himself to Dak, and he competes for contested catches.

Will he ever be a #2? I doubt it, but never say never. I’d love for us to find quick speedster who can separate regularly or a receiver similar to Puka Nacua (sp) who gets open and has strong hands.

Toro9

Reaction score
Worlds different. Seems to run good routes and doesn't drop it.i don't know what Cooks ' contract is but we need to retain him at least one more year. Tolbert is our #3 but I'm not sure he's ready to be a 2. Gallup is.. meh.

quickccc

Reaction score
And Wilson didn't really show that until his fourth season in the league. I'm a fan of Wilson and hoped Dallas could have kept him, but knew it wasn't worth the money required to do so. The stats merely support the eyeball test that Wilson was not significantly better than Tolbert after two years of actual playing time in Dallas. Maybe Tolbert can progress in his third year the way Wilson did in his fourth.
Wilson battled injuries at the beginning of his career here. He had a heckuva time staying healthy.
at one point, i thought he was done for as a NFL player becuz he seemed always hurt.
When you cannot stay healthy, how can you stay on the field develop ?

When Ceddy finally did turned the corner with being able to stay healthy, his game progressed.

Also just reading a stat number won't display how a player created that stat.
ala catching a bubble screen at the line, for juke moves to 18+ gain thru a crowed of defenders won't show
up on a written game cast.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
He can be the next Noah Brown and that’s good enough.

Quint

Reaction score
Worthless as tits on a boar hog. That Swinton kid was better. Horrible player.