Thoughts on trading tenth pick/Nashon Wright reasoning

cffl2323

Reaction score
A lot of "experts" are saying we reached on all the 3rd round selections and it tanked our draft. Rankings vary by person but Brugler, who I respect, had both Odighizuwa and Golston as 4th rounders. Mabye they could be called reaches in the 3rd but the difference between a player ranked 75th or 100th is very subjective, and I say get your guys past the top of the draft. Hopefully "our guys" were evaluated properly....

As for Wright, that's a little tougher to defend as you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who had him above maybe the 6th with a lot of UDFA projections on him. So I'm thinking Quinn had a lot of pull in this draft and when we're on the clock at 10(give what's been taken) he tells Jerry he can get the guy he wants at 12(Parsons), so take the trade back and let me use that extra pick to take my sleeper. Hell we've already got a ton of picks anyway, so he wants to take a dart throw on a guy he believes in. It always stings to think you can wait on a guy and he gets sniped ahead of you because the rankings say he'll be there later.

Maybe this has been discussed already and I'm late to the party, or maybe I'm just trying to justify a sketchy pick, I don't know. Overall I'm a fan of our draft and excited to see what this defense can do with a regular off-season, new defensive leadership, and new/rejuvenated(hopefully) talent. I have a feeling that Parsons/Joseph will make up for any shortcomings later in the draft, and that's not even considering the couple bones we threw to the offensive side of the ball. Go Cowboys!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A lot of "experts" are saying we reached on all the 3rd round selections and it tanked our draft. Rankings vary by person but Brugler, who I respect, had both Odighizuwa and Golston as 4th rounders. Mabye they could be called reaches in the 3rd but the difference between a player ranked 75th or 100th is very subjective, and I say get your guys past the top of the draft. Hopefully "our guys" were evaluated properly....

As for Wright, that's a little tougher to defend as you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who had him above maybe the 6th with a lot of UDFA projections on him. So I'm thinking Quinn had a lot of pull in this draft and when we're on the clock at 10(give what's been taken) he tells Jerry he can get the guy he wants at 12(Parsons), so take the trade back and let me use that extra pick to take my sleeper. Hell we've already got a ton of picks anyway, so he wants to take a dart throw on a guy he believes in. It always stings to think you can wait on a guy and he gets sniped ahead of you because the rankings say he'll be there later.

Maybe this has been discussed already and I'm late to the party, or maybe I'm just trying to justify a sketchy pick, I don't know. Overall I'm a fan of our draft and excited to see what this defense can do with a regular off-season, new defensive leadership, and new/rejuvenated(hopefully) talent. I have a feeling that Parsons/Joseph will make up for any shortcomings later in the draft, and that's not even considering the couple bones we threw to the offensive side of the ball. Go Cowboys!!!
Let Quinn have his guy and build his defense the way he wants. You seriously think he's going to trade one of his draft picks?

chicago JK

Reaction score
It is past now. Lets see if they are right. Although we have seen this in the past. If it doesn't work, Quinn will get the blame. Just like other coordinators/position coaches. I think this is wrong. If they wind up being wrong, the blame should be fully on Jerry and Stephen. Unfortunately, there will be no repercussions. They will just get rid of another coordinator/coach and repeat the process over again.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I still haven't had a shot to listen to the team PCs.

I'd have thought the local media would have asked for an explanation on Wright, but I guess not...or they got a vague answer.

Either way, they liked him and that's that.

There were many picks years ago that were very similar and did not work out.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think if there's a guy you like, you go get him. A reach at 99 is miles and miles better than a reach at, say, 28, which is what the Saints did.

When you get outside of roughly the top 50 picks, you're drafting based on long-term potential. There's really no difference between the Reggie Robinson and Wright picks. They probably did reach on Wright, but if you have a guy that late who you like, go get him.

cffl2323

Reaction score
Your title is misleading then:

"Thoughts on trading tenth pick/Nashon Wright reasoning"

I see. The idea is what I was guessing the thought process was, behind taking one of the most head scratching picks of the entire draft in Nashon Wright. I don't think that would've fit in the title though. But no, I don't think we'll be trading anyone we just drafted in the near future.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Wright pick was a head-scratcher.
Not that we took him, but that it was 3-4 rounds early.

I agree with go get your guys---but that usually means in the later rounds you take in the 6th what most think should be 7th, etc.
This was as extreme as maybe I've ever seen.

Then again, it's a pandemic year when scouting was very different.
Despite what some think here, Dallas does give McClay and crew a large budget. Maybe they did some due diligence that most don't do....or maybe Quinn is just obsessed with finding another Sherman-like steal.

Taking swings like this in the 1st or 2nd round or dumb, but this was basically the 4th round at pick 99

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I see. The idea is what I was guessing the thought process was, behind taking one of the most head scratching picks of the entire draft in Nashon Wright. I don't think that would've fit in the title though. But no, I don't think we'll be trading anyone we just drafted in the near future.
Thanks for clearing that up. All these defensive picks are part of Quinn's plan to install his type of defense. BSPN talking heads say it's a head scratcher but they have no clue. Neither do I but I'm going to give this a chance to play out before making any kind of judgements.

cffl2323

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up. All these defensive picks are part of Quinn's plan to install his type of defense. BSPN talking heads say it's a head scratcher but they have no clue. Neither do I but I'm going to give this a chance to play out before making any kind of judgements.

Same here man. Even if it was a unanimous consensus that we had the worst draft in the history of drafts, I'd still be rooting for them to succeed and probably with some optimistic homer glasses on while doing it.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

I agree with go get your guys---but that usually means in the later rounds you take in the 6th what most think should be 7th, etc.

Despite what some think here, Dallas does give McClay and crew a large budget. Maybe they did some due diligence that most don't do....or maybe Quinn is just obsessed with finding another Sherman-like steal.

Taking swings like this in the 1st or 2nd round or dumb, but this was basically the 4th round at pick 99

The Wright pick is the only pick I seriously question. Ultimately they got Cox in the 4th, so luckily it worked out for everyone(scouts/Quinn/fans).

Basically this draft comes down to 5-6 players. You need Parsons and Cox to be starters by at least the beginning 2022. Joseph to be starting CB sometime in 2021. And Osa and Chauncey proving to be at least rotational DL going forward. While not guaranteed, neither of these seem too much to expect.

If you're lucky, maybe the WR can contribute at some point and/or the OT can become at least a solid swing tackle. The two DBs are basically big swings in the dark. Maybe you hit, but more than likely a miss. But who knows, thats why you line up and play the games.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Same here man. Even if it was a unanimous consensus that we had the worst draft in the history of drafts, I'd still be rooting for them to succeed and probably with some optimistic homer glasses on while doing it.
Only way to be.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I bet Wright gets a chance to be a starting cornerback on this team this season. This is a classic coaches vs scouts pick. I have a feeling the coaches did not want the Boss Man but the scouts won that argument with the Joneses.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Wasn’t a fan of our 3rd round but I can squint my eyes and accept taking guys like Osa and Gholston. Wright was purely trying to hit on a sleeper. The thing is other than size, there’s nothing exceptional about him. He’s actually a below to average athlete so it’s not athletic traits they’re banking out on.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

It will be a story line to follow in training camp for sure.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Bingo!!

Sydla

Reaction score
The logic seems to be that if you look at the advanced stats in terms of his play in zone, he's pretty good. So maybe that, along with his size, attracted them to reach at that spot.

I still don't like the pick but at this point it is what it is.

There is zero doubt I would have traded that pick (or Wright) for Barmore or Moehrig.

timb2

Reaction score
Golston,Odighizuwa,and Wright were players but good characters leaders . Golston was Team Captain, Odigizuwa leader by his play. Wright talked of mentoring his younger brother to stay out of trouble. Now Parson & Joseph hang with these guy their careers. Parsons & Joseph little bit character risks

Last edited: