Thoughts on trading tenth pick/Nashon Wright reasoning

Verdict

Reaction score
I think if there's a guy you like, you go get him. A reach at 99 is miles and miles better than a reach at, say, 28, which is what the Saints did.

When you get outside of roughly the top 50 picks, you're drafting based on long-term potential. There's really no difference between the Reggie Robinson and Wright picks. They probably did reach on Wright, but if you have a guy that late who you like, go get him.
The last time the Cowboys did something similar was when they drafted Fred Beard. That turned out ok. Fingers crossed.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I still haven't had a shot to listen to the team PCs.

I'd have thought the local media would have asked for an explanation on Wright, but I guess not...or they got a vague answer.

Either way, they liked him and that's that.

There were many picks years ago that were very similar and did not work out.

I try to keep this in mind. There are players like Wright who much earlier than projected and players like Marvin Wilson who everyone thought was at least a fourth-rounder but didn't get drafted at all. We all build our preferences both off what we've seen and what the draft "experts" say, but that doesn't mean we're right. There are plenty of players who are highly rated who fail and plenty of players who weren't thought highly of who succeed.

At the time of the selection, I may be thinking, "What in the world are you doing?" but I always try to keep in mind that there's a reason the team makes the choices it does, even if they don't end up working out any better than hundreds of players I've wanted them to draft over the years.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Let Quinn have his guy and build his defense the way he wants.

Let Ryan have his guy and build his defense the way he wants
Let Kiffin have his guy and build his defense the way he wants
Let Marinelli have his guy and build his defense the way he wants
Let Nolan have his guy and build his defense the way he wants

Seeing any patterns?

fivetwos

Reaction score

Seeing any patterns?
Exactly.

In free agency? All fine.

The draft should be all about an organizational philosophy....as should be with the selection of the coaches in the first place...but we don't happen to have one.

What if McCarthy finishes out of the playoffs the next two seasons?

Jerry keeps this staff? No way.

We are then stuck with all these Quinn dudes that the next guy doesn't want.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Seeing any patterns?
Yeah and that’s the way it should be.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Well obviously you have no hope and have given up. Too bad for you.
Not true.

I hope Dak can find a way to win despite the many disadvantages of playing for a Jerry Jones-ran team.

As Dak goes, we go. That is the literal definition of hope.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
A lot of "experts" are saying we reached on all the 3rd round selections and it tanked our draft. Rankings vary by person but Brugler, who I respect, had both Odighizuwa and Golston as 4th rounders. Mabye they could be called reaches in the 3rd but the difference between a player ranked 75th or 100th is very subjective, and I say get your guys past the top of the draft. Hopefully "our guys" were evaluated properly....

As for Wright, that's a little tougher to defend as you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who had him above maybe the 6th with a lot of UDFA projections on him. So I'm thinking Quinn had a lot of pull in this draft and when we're on the clock at 10(give what's been taken) he tells Jerry he can get the guy he wants at 12(Parsons), so take the trade back and let me use that extra pick to take my sleeper. Hell we've already got a ton of picks anyway, so he wants to take a dart throw on a guy he believes in. It always stings to think you can wait on a guy and he gets sniped ahead of you because the rankings say he'll be there later.

Maybe this has been discussed already and I'm late to the party, or maybe I'm just trying to justify a sketchy pick, I don't know. Overall I'm a fan of our draft and excited to see what this defense can do with a regular off-season, new defensive leadership, and new/rejuvenated(hopefully) talent. I have a feeling that Parsons/Joseph will make up for any shortcomings later in the draft, and that's not even considering the couple bones we threw to the offensive side of the ball. Go Cowboys!!!
If Brugler was using Will McClay's draft board, he wouldn't be saying that. I trust McClay's board way more.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of "experts" are saying we reached on all the 3rd round selections and it tanked our draft. Rankings vary by person but Brugler, who I respect, had both Odighizuwa and Golston as 4th rounders. Mabye they could be called reaches in the 3rd but the difference between a player ranked 75th or 100th is very subjective, and I say get your guys past the top of the draft. Hopefully "our guys" were evaluated properly....

As for Wright, that's a little tougher to defend as you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who had him above maybe the 6th with a lot of UDFA projections on him. So I'm thinking Quinn had a lot of pull in this draft and when we're on the clock at 10(give what's been taken) he tells Jerry he can get the guy he wants at 12(Parsons), so take the trade back and let me use that extra pick to take my sleeper. Hell we've already got a ton of picks anyway, so he wants to take a dart throw on a guy he believes in. It always stings to think you can wait on a guy and he gets sniped ahead of you because the rankings say he'll be there later.

Maybe this has been discussed already and I'm late to the party, or maybe I'm just trying to justify a sketchy pick, I don't know. Overall I'm a fan of our draft and excited to see what this defense can do with a regular off-season, new defensive leadership, and new/rejuvenated(hopefully) talent. I have a feeling that Parsons/Joseph will make up for any shortcomings later in the draft, and that's not even considering the couple bones we threw to the offensive side of the ball. Go Cowboys!!!

Its ALL opinion. But, Gholston was a round 5-6 guy and Wright probably would have gone undrafted. So, you look at those wasted 3rd round picks and think why bother. Would could have packaged both of those picks and tried to swap picks with Carolina or Denver to get a CB in round 1. Or, we could have used those picks to move up and secure Barmore or Moehrig as NE and Oakland did when they jumped in front of us. Its just lazy , passive drafting and I think its rooted in the fact we don't have a real GM.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

i did not like the pick either. i’ve moved on because every team does this and picks a head scratcher in every draft some pan out and turn into asante samual sr. multiple pro bowls others are out of the league in a few years. it’s their money and player capital. i’m just a fan of the team. i’m going to pull for the kid to turn in to sherman 2.0 but if he does not we draft another next year.

Creeper

Reaction score
I thought the Cowboys did a good job taking players based on who was on the board, except Wright. I wonder, for example, if McNeill, Milton Williams and Odighizuwa were all available at 75, would the cowboys have taken Osa, or one of the other players? Based on pre-draft rumors, it sounded like they would have taken Williams. But with McNeill and Williams gone, maybe OSA was just the next best player on their board. If they wanted Williams or McNeill, then why didn;t they move up to make sure they got one of them?

Wright, on the other hand, was an absolute reach, and not just "we wanted him so we took him" kind. They could have and should have taken Cox at 99 then Wright later. The point is it was likely a serious miscalculation if they thought another team would take Wright before 115, or even 138, if that is what they were thinking. They were fortunate it worked out as it did. Sometimes you make mistakes in the draft and it works out. Sometimes you get burned. Bad habits lead to more circumstances of getting burned. If Wright fails to make the team, Quinn is going to catch a boatload full of criticism.

Verdict

Reaction score
I try to keep this in mind. There are players like Wright who much earlier than projected and players like Marvin Wilson who everyone thought was at least a fourth-rounder but didn't get drafted at all. We all build our preferences both off what we've seen and what the draft "experts" say, but that doesn't mean we're right. There are plenty of players who are highly rated who fail and plenty of players who weren't thought highly of who succeed.

At the time of the selection, I may be thinking, "What in the world are you doing?" but I always try to keep in mind that there's a reason the team makes the choices it does, even if they don't end up working out any better than hundreds of players I've wanted them to draft over the years.
It seems as though the highly rated guys who fall end up being productive players more often than guys who are seemingly way over drafted.