CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about yesterday's loss to the Cardinals!

quickccc

Reaction score
-I would of started Tyler at LT and Edoka at LG. Edoka did really struggle early on, but got better as the game progressed.
-Defense was a total disaster in the 1st half, they couldn't stop the bleeding what so ever. Didn't generate much pressure at all. Teams are going to force the Cowboys to stop the run or this will continue.
-Gilmore is a good #2 corner at this stage, but will struggle to deal with speed.
-Gannon who comes from the Eagles knows the Cowboys well, take away the big passing plays and they are easier to defend. Teams will continue to play the Cowboys this way.
maybe Tyler Smith is not quite whole enuff to work the LT,.. its a difference (and more physical strain) outside
on the edges and on an island, ..vs restricted phone booth area.

I guess OL coach does not trust a rookie like Asim

LysleE

Reaction score
- Cowboys bought into the hype resulting from their first two games and ate the cheese
- Cowboys played flat, uninspired and undisciplined football: epic failure on the coaching staff and players
- Cowboys run defense was porous; especially on Dallas’ right side; DE, LB and DB on that side losing contain or taking poor angles
-,Cardinals running at Parsons like teams did last season
- Secondary had several blown coverages; overall communication on defense was poor
- Cowboys OL blocked the run well; pass blocking not so great
- Dak holding ball too long because WRs on deeper routes couldn’t get separation; lived off of screens and check-downs with YAC padding Dak’s stats
-,Dak needs to use his legs more; had a couple of good runs
- Way too many penalties with some at crucial times
- Red zone offense ineffective; play calling was ineffective; MM clearly didn’t want to put the ball in Dak’s hands
- This is the same team as previous years’ teams; they show up against weaker teams, but wilt in the face of equally talented, more physical teams and that just comes down to heart

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Perfect Storm o Phokery I call it . Overlooking a team, incompetent Coaching and play calling, Flat suckage in the play of the players, ALL OF THEM ! Trevon and the other injuries, and quite frankly SMELLING OURSELVES.

Burn the film, give the team a day off, get back Tuesday with a renewed focus with the understanding that this FOOTBALL, ain't nothing given to Anybody. Any day you can get yo azz whipped. The Cardinals get paid just like the Cowboys

Bing

Reaction score
It was a loss, there will be more. Put it behind you and move on to the next game. Win or lose I honestly dont care anymore. My only positive outlook is every game played is one game closer to Dak being gone. Until that happens nothing good is going to happen to this team anyway.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
maybe Tyler Smith is not quite whole enuff to work the LT,.. its a difference (and more physical strain) outside
on the edges and on an island, ..vs restricted phone booth area.

I guess OL coach does not trust a rookie like Asim
Injury to Tyron was late in the week, probably didn't want to throw him out there not practicing at the position since last season. 3 weeks in, our OL depth is really getting tested. Let's hope these starters return as the schedule is going to get harder.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fellow, Parcells might have won another one with the Cowboys but, Jerry hoisted Owens on him which he detested. I agree though that Bobby Carpenter was trash.
People tend to forget his beat an high powered Bills team with a backup QB.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It is dead wrong to act like the run defense yesterday was anything like we've seen in recent seasons.

It was an unprecedently bad performance marked by blown assignments all over the place because they never showed up. It doesn't mean anything and it isn't predictive.

Run defense has never been a problem the way this board likes to imagine it has been, and it certainly hasn't been like that.

That said, their pass defense was still the bigger problem, by far.
This defense is at it's best against the pass from rushing the passer and creating turnovers. Teams who been able to run the football, have had the most success.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Patriots will go right at the defense with Zeke. I actually think Arizona has some offensive weapons. Brown and that slot receiver were fast. Dobbs is more athletic then I remember but they hid him in the second half.
Watched the Patriots yesterday, similar team to the Jets, but are better offensively. They are going to try to run the football and attack the middle of the field with their good receiving TE's. Defensively are good, but a lot has to do with their scheme. You can bet that Lamb will be schemed out next week.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Think the majority of Cowboy Nation and even the players started reading the press clippings how good they are. They haven't accomplished anything thus far, yesterday's loss was a big piece of humble pie. 1 loss isn't a season ender, but it showed several weaknesses this team has and needs to work on.

Offense

-Thought the make shift OL played generally well. Edoka appeared to struggle the most, especially in the 1st half.
-Gannon comes from the Fangio coaching tree, he was daring the Cowboys to beat them underneath or run the football against light boxes. Cowboys had success taking what was given throughout the game. Did hit a couple of big plays.
-Cardinals had great success defending us in the red zone, this has been a problem this entire season, where this team was #1 last year. Thought both fade routes were penalties, but you cannot rely on the refs to bail you out. Why was the Cowboys running the football so much late? They were given that up and playing extra men in coverage. Playcalling was bad, so was the execution. Coaches need to figure out this fast or they will struggle to beat any team.
-Nice to see Gallup having a strong game. He was the offensive star of the day and looked like his pre-injury self.
-I believe Pollard had his 1st 100 rushing yard game, Dowdle continues to impress. Wonder why we didn't see much of Duece or Turpin, both could of been weapons down in the red zone due to their quickness.
-Penalties are drive killers, especially in the red zone. They get a mulligan this week, due to the make shift line, but it is something to watch.

Defense

-Their run defense reared it's ugly head from prior seasons. Arizona was running directly at Parsons with great success. Thought the entire safety group had an awful day: Wilson over aggressiveness caused the long QB run, Kearse takes a bad angle that led to the long WR run for TD. Bell seemed to get caught up in the trash. Lve has issues with misdirection. Players weren't flying to the football at all. After saying all this, it was corrected in the 2nd half. Run defense is all about being disipline and playing with effort, neither was there in the 1st half.
-Really struggles getting off the field on third downs, the Cardinals scored on every single drive in the first half, that will get you beat by any team in this league. So many penalties extended drives, pass rush was non-existent against an average line, defensive turnovers never happened.
-Thought Bland played ok, outside of the PI early on. Gilmore had his struggles against speed on the outside.
-Lack of communication was a big issue throughout the day. Cannot give up so many chunk plays due to blown assignments.

Special Teams

-Didn't see where the offsides occurred on the FG attempt, but it extended a drive.
-Huge penalty on Turpin's punt return
Agree on everything. Defense is most concerning. I rewatched the game and Im not as concerned about the offense. As long as Olineman come back we should be fine there. Dak actually had a good game up until the pick, at which time the game was all but over anyway. 3 minutes to go in the game.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Watched the Patriots yesterday, similar team to the Jets, but are better offensively. They are going to try to run the football and attack the middle of the field with their good receiving TE's. Defensively are good, but a lot has to do with their scheme. You can bet that Lamb will be schemed out next week.
They will scheme out Parsons as well. I forgot they held the mighty Dolphins to 23 points and made Tua look average two weeks ago. It didn’t show on the scoreboard but they beat up the Eagles too. I thought this was going to be the toughest game of the first four.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First off, Dallas plays lousy in Arizona…

- linebacker play is bad. Clark is a project and LVE hasn’t been right in a few years.

- red zone play is broken. Big difference between Mike & Kellen there.

- Mike is too conservative. Not sure if it’s because of Dak but it got him fired in GB.

- run defense was a huge problem and will be all year.

I predicted a loss here. Dallas ALWAYS does this after a couple big wins. It’s a cultural thing that’s been entrenched for years.
Redzone is not broken. AS long as we get our 3 pro bowl lineman back or at least two I beleive that will be proven. MM is a much better playcaller and OC than Moore.

I also predicted a loss. When did you? I thought i was the only one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They will scheme out Parsons as well. I forgot they held the mighty Dolphins to 23 points and made Tua look average two weeks ago. It didn’t show on the scoreboard but they beat up the Eagles too. I thought this was going to be the toughest game of the first four.
This running at Parsons thing is overblown. They got out to a huge lead quickly and early which allowed them play the run game thing. On top of it the defense was asleep and the linebackers took the day off.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
From the first game, we knew we couldn’t get into the end zone. If your goals were not going to cut it, this is a team issue.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree on everything. Defense is most concerning. I rewatched the game and Im not as concerned about the offense. As long as Olineman come back we should be fine there. Dak actually had a good game up until the pick, at which time the game was all but over anyway. 3 minutes to go in the game.
Offense has to work on getting better in the red zone, but I agree they played well otherwise. Defense looked the same as it did last year, struggling with those runs to the edges and the read option. Until they fix it, teams are going to attack them until they prove otherwise. Good news is, they made adjustments in the 2nd half, but it was a little too late.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Offense has to work on getting better in the red zone, but I agree they played well otherwise. Defense looked the same as it did last year, struggling with those runs to the edges and the read option. Until they fix it, teams are going to attack them until they prove otherwise. Good news is, they made adjustments in the 2nd half, but it was a little too late.
I know what the stats show, but I think its more circumstance than any real problem. If they get the 3 lineman back I think those problems go away.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No doubt, this week is going to be a tough game. However, a very winnable one!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I know what the stats show, but I think its more circumstance than any real problem. If they get the 3 lineman back I think those problems go away.
Believe they have to become more creative down there. Getting the OL back will help, but they have to have a better plan.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This running at Parsons thing is overblown. They got out to a huge lead quickly and early which allowed them play the run game thing. On top of it the defense was asleep and the linebackers took the day off.
If you want to kill any positional group this week it was the safeties, they were all terrible.