Thoughts/Opinions from last night's win against the Raiders!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The one concern I have is our lack of a pass rush. We didn’t have a single sack last night and only a couple against the Rams. We’re not applying much pressure. I know we haven’t played our starters, but you would think the scheme would generate some pressure.

rambo2

Reaction score
- Lance had a much better game vs Radas than Rams , did not turn over ball,..and added a fade TD to Flo ..but still a dink-dunk game and
and did not change my mind to be No.2 over Rush.
- Cropper really took a step backwards with the off over the head PR/and fumble (without contact) ...now it could come down
to Flournoy vs Cropper for that final 6th WR spot.
- Flournoy had a rebound game. TD fade catch and couple of nice short catches beyond that. Brooks had a drop while
Tolbert tough contested catch

- Deuce was decisive and elusive- but is he a one track pony ? (run only?)
- Freeman return to duty help seal his roster spot

- i wonder if CB Scott should've had more(much more?) playing time vs Radas/Rams ? Ditto with Izzy
- Not impressed with Booth- gave a huge deep and overthrow preventing another - tackles in short areas just showed me that
he's very weak vs deep

- kudos game for Guyton & Beebe. OL opened up run room- Josh Ball replaced Guyton ??
-I think teams has some gems in Thomas.., and maybe Woods
- I'm doubting Izzy would stick around for 4th safety role (Hooker, Wilson, Thomas, Bell) and i think only 4 safeties kept.

- We desperately need a backup PR -otherwise it maybe Cooks in emergency.
- Liked #92 al Quadin Muhammad at DE - thought breeland, Huggins, rogers -plus unknown Hall

- Feheko was unimpressive (again) - he's slow and pure JAG, imo
- rookie LB Marist was outstanding, active - tackler- and a nose for the ball- ..Harvey almost a six-pick,

- Our All pro FG kicker Aubrey is probably the best young placekicker in the entire NFL. 66 yd FG ! wow! ..awesome weapon !
Flournoy will make the team. He is a big physical receiver. He has showed too much to make it to the practice squad.
1. Lamb
2. Cooks
3. Tolbert
4. Turpin
5. Flournoy
6. Brooks
At least 2 of the rest will be on the practice squad.

Aven8

Reaction score
The effort and depth on D is what stands out to me. Everyone is tackling really well.

Deuce looks electric.

Lance had John Stephen’s for the TD but he checked it down to the underneath route.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You missed THE most important thing from last night. The Cowboys controlled both lines of scrimmage the entire game. And the Raiders played their starters a lot. That made me smile.
Raiders did struggle badly in their 1st matchup against the Vikings, especially against the run. It was a good performance, but need to see it against another opponent.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
- Lance had a much better game vs Radas than Rams , did not turn over ball,..and added a fade TD to Flo ..but still a dink-dunk game and
and did not change my mind to be No.2 over Rush.
- Cropper really took a step backwards with the off over the head PR/and fumble (without contact) ...now it could come down
to Flournoy vs Cropper for that final 6th WR spot.
- Flournoy had a rebound game. TD fade catch and couple of nice short catches beyond that. Brooks had a drop while
Tolbert tough contested catch

- Deuce was decisive and elusive- but is he a one track pony ? (run only?)
- Freeman return to duty help seal his roster spot

- i wonder if CB Scott should've had more(much more?) playing time vs Radas/Rams ? Ditto with Izzy
- Not impressed with Booth- gave a huge deep and overthrow preventing another - tackles in short areas just showed me that
he's very weak vs deep

- kudos game for Guyton & Beebe. OL opened up run room- Josh Ball replaced Guyton ??
-I think teams has some gems in Thomas.., and maybe Woods
- I'm doubting Izzy would stick around for 4th safety role (Hooker, Wilson, Thomas, Bell) and i think only 4 safeties kept.

- We desperately need a backup PR -otherwise it maybe Cooks in emergency.
- Liked #92 al Quadin Muhammad at DE - thought breeland, Huggins, rogers -plus unknown Hall

- Feheko was unimpressive (again) - he's slow and pure JAG, imo
- rookie LB Marist was outstanding, active - tackler- and a nose for the ball- ..Harvey almost a six-pick,

- Our All pro FG kicker Aubrey is probably the best young placekicker in the entire NFL. 66 yd FG ! wow! ..awesome weapon !
-Agree, still have Rush as the more capable #2 QB. Lance certainly was better, but teams will sit on the underneath passes if they know he cannot beat you down the field.
-In my opinion, don't think the team has a true #3 WR, more of a 4/5 in Tolbert/Brooks which don't scare anyone. What impressed me with Flournoy was his route running ability against their top corner and wasn't intimidated by the matchup.
-Keep in mind we are talking about the 5/6 type of corners with Booth and Scott. Their biggest asset might be on teams then playing on defense.
-Team lacks that back with juice, something Duece certainly has. Wonder if they look outside to add that type of back?
-Backup Tackle position is very worrisome, Ball/Wally aren't NFL quality backups.
-Agree with Fehoko, he is looking more and more likely he doesn't make the 53 man squad.
-Remember where the kicking game was prior to Aubrey, kicker couldn't even make extra points in the postseason.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Flournoy will make the team. He is a big physical receiver. He has showed too much to make it to the practice squad.
1. Lamb
2. Cooks
3. Tolbert
4. Turpin
5. Flournoy
6. Brooks
Think you have it right. Although, I feel this group doesn't have a true #3 wide receiver.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
1. Lamb
2. Cooks
3. Tolbert
4. Turpin
5. Flournoy
6. Brooks

He was drafted, too. They’ll find a spot for him.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Booth was surprisingly good last night. Even on the deep pass that he gave up, he was in good position and almost was able to get his hand in to break it up.

His tackling was top notch and he showed surprising athleticism. I definitely think he’s in the mix to make the 53 and be a staple on special teams.

IMO, he is a pretty big upgrade over Wright. It was a nice trade for Dallas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wish I could find the post, it might have been in the game thread. It was either after the TD throw or when Lance scrambled in for a TD. Someone posted that the players are gravitating around Lance and that we haven’t seen this kind of a leadership and ability from a Cowboys QB since Troy Aikman. :lmao: The game chat can be like Comedy Central. Lol

baltcowboy

Reaction score
-Rushing offense looking good, but the Raiders really struggled stopping the run the prior week. However, we were playing our backups against their starters.
-Although it was basically one 1 drive, really liked Flornay. He did have success against their top corner. I do think he will make the final 53 man roster.
-Lance took time to settle down, then we got a chance to see him perform. Still would like to see more then the 5 yard out patterns, but he did improve from last week.
-Interesting to see Beebe/Hoffman split time at Center as many believed Hoffman sealed the job due to Beebe's slow transition to the Center position.
-Really liked how Duece ran the football with authority and elusiveness. There still is so value with having this type of player.
-Don't know what to make of the crowded TE room, nobody to standing out outside of making mistakes.
-Thought both had 1 bad play to start the game, but were excellent the rest of the way Booth/Kneeland. Corner looks real deep this yr. Kneeland is very active, you can see his effort, but also can see he needs work as a pass rusher. Keep in mind, most pass rushers take time to learn technique on the next level.
-Lack of pass rush to still concerning, but Muhammad flashed a few times.
-Audrey is the boss, 66 yard FG that could have been good for over 70. Give Bones Fassel a ton of credit for finding both him and Turpin.
Interesting takes. Lance needs to be the number 2. Cut Rush and have him on the scout team just and case Dak is injured. Lance needs those second team reps and the Cowboys will be better for it.

I think it is clear that Beebe has replaced Hoffman at center. The Cowboys have finally ripped the bandage off and started the kid vs the Raiders. Hoffman was clearly the backup center this game.

Zimmer’s scheme seems to have players in better positions. I think other teams figured out Quinn’s scheme last season. It was time for a change.

Kneeland and the Notre Dame linebacker look really good.

The Cowboys can trade some safeties to get depth at their weak areas. The Cowboys legitimately have 4 starters at safety.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Interesting takes. Lance needs to be the number 2. Cut Rush and have him on the scout team just and case Dak is injured. Lance needs those second team reps and the Cowboys will be better for it.

I think it is clear that Beebe has replaced Hoffman at center. The Cowboys have finally ripped the bandage off and started the kid vs the Raiders. Hoffman was clearly the backup center this game.

Zimmer’s scheme seems to have players in better positions. I think other teams figured out Quinn’s scheme last season. It was time for a change.

Kneeland and the Notre Dame linebacker look really good.

The Cowboys can trade some safeties to get depth at their weak areas. The Cowboys legitimately have 4 starters at safety.
Lance cannot be counted on to win games at this current juncture, he remains a developmental prospect that struggles with consistency

Clarke82

Reaction score
-Thought both had 1 bad play to start the game, but were excellent the rest of the way Booth/Kneeland.
The play you're blaming on Kneeland was actually not on him. He did what he was supposed to do and seal the edge. It was OLB Marist Liufau that took a shallow angle and ended up inside. If he had scraped to Kneeland's inside hip it would have forced the back to cut back inside right into Harvey.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
-Rushing offense looking good, but the Raiders really struggled stopping the run the prior week. However, we were playing our backups against their starters.
-Although it was basically one 1 drive, really liked Flornay. He did have success against their top corner. I do think he will make the final 53 man roster.
-Lance took time to settle down, then we got a chance to see him perform. Still would like to see more then the 5 yard out patterns, but he did improve from last week.
-Interesting to see Beebe/Hoffman split time at Center as many believed Hoffman sealed the job due to Beebe's slow transition to the Center position.
-Really liked how Duece ran the football with authority and elusiveness. There still is so value with having this type of player.
-Don't know what to make of the crowded TE room, nobody to standing out outside of making mistakes.
-Thought both had 1 bad play to start the game, but were excellent the rest of the way Booth/Kneeland. Corner looks real deep this yr. Kneeland is very active, you can see his effort, but also can see he needs work as a pass rusher. Keep in mind, most pass rushers take time to learn technique on the next level.
-Lack of pass rush to still concerning, but Muhammad flashed a few times.
-Audrey is the boss, 66 yard FG that could of been good for over 70. Give Bones Fassel a ton of credit for finding both him and Turpin.

Nice write up!! Our oline looks better than last year. Corner looks good. I'm looking forward to the season. Should be fun.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lance cannot be counted on to win games at this current juncture, he remains a developmental prospect that struggles with consistency
In a run based offense he would be fine. Lance does not have Rush’s limitations. If Dak goes down for a long period of time the offense is cooked like every other team that loses a starting quarterback that is top 10 in the league. Lance certainly can be as effective as rookie season Hurts or Lamar in his rookie year. I live on the East coast Lance can run a ball control offense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
In a run based offense he would be fine. Lance does not have Rush’s limitations. If Dak goes down for a long period of time the offense is cooked like every other team that loses a starting quarterback that is top 10 in the league. Lance certainly can be as effective as rookie season Hurts or Lamar in his rookie year. I live on the East coast Lance can run a ball control offense.
Do you forget Rush was 5-1 when he was the starter 2 years ago?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
-Audrey is the boss, 66 yard FG that could of been good for over 70. Give Bones Fassel a ton of credit for finding both him and Turpin.
Call him Audrey again and he might kick you so hard you'll never come down.