Thoughts/Opinions from last night's win against the Raiders!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Do you forget Rush was 5-1 when he was the starter 2 years ago?
And??? Some no name quarterback had the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship game against Philadelphia a few years ago. Casey somebody??? What happened to him after that.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And??? Some no name quarterback had the Minnesota Vikings in the NFC Championship game against Philadelphia a few years ago. Casey somebody??? What happened to him after that.
Rush isn't a starting QB, but he is a very capable backup. Every backup will eventually get exposed if they have to play an extended period of time. Rush has proven he has the ability to win games in spot duty, which is exactly what you want with your backup.

John813

Reaction score
The one concern I have is our lack of a pass rush. We didn’t have a single sack last night and only a couple against the Rams. We’re not applying much pressure. I know we haven’t played our starters, but you would think the scheme would generate some pressure.

One concern I have in general is the pass rush, even before preseason showings.

We know Micah will get his, and tons of pressure, but D-Law is entering his mid 30's.
Then you got Kneeland who looks good, but hard to say a round 2 rookie can step in and be a pass rushing threat year 1.
Lawson I'm optimistic on, but he couldn't recrack the Jets rotation last year.

Armstrong and Fowler weren't great players, but they did provide good depth and in Armstrongs case he blossomed well for a day 3 pick and getting to the QB.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
-Rushing offense looking good, but the Raiders really struggled stopping the run the prior week. However, we were playing our backups against their starters.
-Although it was basically one 1 drive, really liked Flornay. He did have success against their top corner. I do think he will make the final 53 man roster.
-Lance took time to settle down, then we got a chance to see him perform. Still would like to see more then the 5 yard out patterns, but he did improve from last week.
-Interesting to see Beebe/Hoffman split time at Center as many believed Hoffman sealed the job due to Beebe's slow transition to the Center position.
-Really liked how Duece ran the football with authority and elusiveness. There still is so value with having this type of player.
-Don't know what to make of the crowded TE room, nobody to standing out outside of making mistakes.
-Thought both had 1 bad play to start the game, but were excellent the rest of the way Booth/Kneeland. Corner looks real deep this yr. Kneeland is very active, you can see his effort, but also can see he needs work as a pass rusher. Keep in mind, most pass rushers take time to learn technique on the next level.
-Lack of pass rush to still concerning, but Muhammad flashed a few times.
-Audrey is the boss, 66 yard FG that could of been good for over 70. Give Bones Fassel a ton of credit for finding both him and Turpin.
Got through my watch yesterday.

Run game was dominant and the young draftees were literally crushing it.
A lot made of the Raiders 1 versus our 2s and such, but the first quarter was a boring blur.
We didn't take off until mid 2nd quarter against 2nds.

I don't know enough about kickers to be sure but I'd rest Aubrey more. Not sure he needs to be kicking 66 yarders in pre-season games or practice.
Anyway, that dude is a legit weapon.

Deuce and Freeman both looked great. Over 7.5 yards per carry between them. Massive sign your OL dominated.

Trey Lance. Was much better. Accuracy was good. Moved ball and took off more often including a nice TD run.
Part of his improved accuracy was a slower delivery and focus on underneath stuff.
He looks to me a lot like a rookie with talent trying to play to not lose.
Still easily QB3 for me and thus I would hope for trade offers around what we paid.
The biggest issue for Trey with Dallas is contract situation.
He needs reps but there is no path to getting them here.
Put him on a rebuilding team and he could develop quite nicely into a legit NFL QB IMO.

WRs.
Caught a lot of underneath stuff and generally looked like pros but uninspiring ones.
Didn't see the juice of a Turpin, nor the strength to run through tackles.
But a lot of legit WR4/WR5 options.

DBs
Had 50 people tell me they needed to cut a kid then he got a pick.
It was a big night for the DBs as the Raiders couldn't figure out Zimmer's coverages.
Not sure how much that means for the DBs, but it is a really good sign for a Dallas team that will have Bland, Diggs and Lewis in those roles.

OL:
Guyton and Beebe are starting.
May be a bit rough year 1 but they both looks like future many-time Pro Bowlers.
Guyton looks as athletic as Tyron Smith.
Beebe as nasty as Zack Martin.

All in all, it feels to me like Dallas will be MUCH stronger in the trenches.
I do worry about all the young guys hitting a rookie wall late in the season.
Hopefully we rotate guys along both lines when we are up big.
We need the trenches to peak come playoffs and frankly Hoffman and Richards are good enough to deserve some run.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rush isn't a starting QB, but he is a very capable backup. Every backup will eventually get exposed if they have to play an extended period of time. Rush has proven he has the ability to win games in spot duty, which is exactly what you want with your backup.
Rush knows the playbook, his role, Dak loves him.
He's a long-term 2nd option that has chosen to stay here in free agency at very reasonable cost.
He needs very few snaps to get ready so team can focus on Dak and Rush stays ready to assist.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Lance had a much better game vs Radas than Rams , did not turn over ball,..and added a fade TD to Flo ..but still a dink-dunk game and
and did not change my mind to be No.2 over Rush.
- Cropper really took a step backwards with the off over the head PR/and fumble (without contact) ...now it could come down
to Flournoy vs Cropper for that final 6th WR spot.
- Flournoy had a rebound game. TD fade catch and couple of nice short catches beyond that. Brooks had a drop while
Tolbert tough contested catch

- Deuce was decisive and elusive- but is he a one track pony ? (run only?)
- Freeman return to duty help seal his roster spot

- i wonder if CB Scott should've had more(much more?) playing time vs Radas/Rams ? Ditto with Izzy
- Not impressed with Booth- gave a huge deep and overthrow preventing another - tackles in short areas just showed me that
he's very weak vs deep

- kudos game for Guyton & Beebe. OL opened up run room- Josh Ball replaced Guyton ??
-I think teams has some gems in Thomas.., and maybe Woods
- I'm doubting Izzy would stick around for 4th safety role (Hooker, Wilson, Thomas, Bell) and i think only 4 safeties kept.

- We desperately need a backup PR -otherwise it maybe Cooks in emergency.
- Liked #92 al Quadin Muhammad at DE - thought breeland, Huggins, rogers -plus unknown Hall

- Feheko was unimpressive (again) - he's slow and pure JAG, imo
- rookie LB Marist was outstanding, active - tackler- and a nose for the ball- ..Harvey almost a six-pick,

- Our All pro FG kicker Aubrey is probably the best young placekicker in the entire NFL. 66 yd FG ! wow! ..awesome weapon !
He had a couple long passes...tight!. He is going to continue to improve there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Got through my watch yesterday.

Run game was dominant and the young draftees were literally crushing it.
A lot made of the Raiders 1 versus our 2s and such, but the first quarter was a boring blur.
We didn't take off until mid 2nd quarter against 2nds.

I don't know enough about kickers to be sure but I'd rest Aubrey more. Not sure he needs to be kicking 66 yarders in pre-season games or practice.
Anyway, that dude is a legit weapon.

Deuce and Freeman both looked great. Over 7.5 yards per carry between them. Massive sign your OL dominated.

Trey Lance. Was much better. Accuracy was good. Moved ball and took off more often including a nice TD run.
Part of his improved accuracy was a slower delivery and focus on underneath stuff.
He looks to me a lot like a rookie with talent trying to play to not lose.
Still easily QB3 for me and thus I would hope for trade offers around what we paid.
The biggest issue for Trey with Dallas is contract situation.
He needs reps but there is no path to getting them here.
Put him on a rebuilding team and he could develop quite nicely into a legit NFL QB IMO.

WRs.
Caught a lot of underneath stuff and generally looked like pros but uninspiring ones.
Didn't see the juice of a Turpin, nor the strength to run through tackles.
But a lot of legit WR4/WR5 options.

DBs
Had 50 people tell me they needed to cut a kid then he got a pick.
It was a big night for the DBs as the Raiders couldn't figure out Zimmer's coverages.
Not sure how much that means for the DBs, but it is a really good sign for a Dallas team that will have Bland, Diggs and Lewis in those roles.

OL:
Guyton and Beebe are starting.
May be a bit rough year 1 but they both looks like future many-time Pro Bowlers.
Guyton looks as athletic as Tyron Smith.
Beebe as nasty as Zack Martin.

All in all, it feels to me like Dallas will be MUCH stronger in the trenches.
I do worry about all the young guys hitting a rookie wall late in the season.
Hopefully we rotate guys along both lines when we are up big.
We need the trenches to peak come playoffs and frankly Hoffman and Richards are good enough to deserve some run.
I was encouraged with their trenches play, but have to see it against a better opponent as they really struggled against the Vikings in the prior week. Our two rookie lineman need to start, no need to have progress stoppers in front of them cause they are a little more experienced. Believe the run game will be improved, just worry about if we have the right backs to be successful!

blueblood70

Reaction score
-Rushing offense looking good, but the Raiders really struggled stopping the run the prior week. However, we were playing our backups against their starters.
-Although it was basically one 1 drive, really liked Flornay. He did have success against their top corner. I do think he will make the final 53 man roster.
-Lance took time to settle down, then we got a chance to see him perform. Still would like to see more then the 5 yard out patterns, but he did improve from last week.
-Interesting to see Beebe/Hoffman split time at Center as many believed Hoffman sealed the job due to Beebe's slow transition to the Center position.
-Really liked how Duece ran the football with authority and elusiveness. There still is so value with having this type of player.
-Don't know what to make of the crowded TE room, nobody to standing out outside of making mistakes.
-Thought both had 1 bad play to start the game, but were excellent the rest of the way Booth/Kneeland. Corner looks real deep this yr. Kneeland is very active, you can see his effort, but also can see he needs work as a pass rusher. Keep in mind, most pass rushers take time to learn technique on the next level.
-Audrey is the boss, 66 yard FG that could of been good for over 70. Give Bones Fassel a ton of credit for finding both him and Turpin.
You said it already they played their starters almost 3 QTRS where we're playing their starting offensive line against our third string defensive line and you're worried about the pass rush..

I agree with most of that that you said,

but you're worried about too much, Lawson hasn't even got here yet, we're not playing any type of game planning and scheming at all, this is all vanilla and we have a rookie on one side and I don't even know who's on the other side you said Mohammed but they have quite a few holding penalties and mood minus you off his spot quite a few times but yes they're starting offensive line was playing decently against our third string and lot of our fourth string defense..

So, I'm not that worried about it because I know that our starters and our backups we'll be fine and especially with schemes and then they will create pressure off the edges with safeties and linebackers and corner blitzes it's what Mike Zimmer does best is if they need to create they disguise a lot of stuff and bring pressure from everywhere...

Vaughn has more than value he was underutilized last year because he's a lot like Turpin but right now I see a bunch of hammers that they can choose from for the running back by committee they all seem the same to me except for deuce Vaughn so why not have a couple of guys like Rico and obviously Elliott makes this team but then the change of pace guy you can use deuce Vaughn a whole lot like you used Tony Pollard I'm not saying they're the same player but this guy coming off the edge motion even sometimes inside when you bring out Thunder and put in lightning and I know he's not as fast as Turpin but this kid has moves he has wiggle he's different this is what you want you want some disparity in your running backs at times and we have way too many big hammers right now on this team and only one that I see that should get time over keeping another bigger slower guy as one of your running back by committees deuce Vaughn needs to make this team it needs to be part of enough game plans and get enough snaps that he can be effective.

No one's going to convince me just because he's small that he can't make it in the NFL because I watched him play in college his college tape does not lie the man played full time regular running back and special teams at a high level those are not tricks he was not a gimmick player and I'm not saying he should be a starter or get significant snaps but the man should have got a lot more time last year than he got that's my opinion we needed to create something in the run game and he just sat there they used him and cleaned up and dumb areas of the periods of the game and situational football they didn't use him right they didn't use Turpin right they didn't use a lot of players right last year in my opinion and that's squarely on Mike McCarthy since he's the head coach and the offensive coordinator.

Hey maybe I see more in him than others but I think the guy has some thing to offer this team...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Remember all the issues we had prior to signing him, hell our kicker couldn't even make extra points in the playoffs!
My heart was great in the regular season he was a top kicker top three that year he struggled in the last game in the playoffs but the man could also was kicking 60 plus yard field goals one of the most efficient kickers until he lost it yes kickers get the yips they could even happen too Aubrey I hope I didn't jinx them but this happens to kickers but Maher had a big leg he was very accurate twice here he went 11 for 11 his first year here was a part time and then he had a great year the year you're talking about so and go that far but yes aubrey's impressive he's special he's one of the top three kickers in the league if not the best. I mean our punter is the same way we have one of the best punters in the league so our special teams right now if you add in Turpin maybe deuce Vaughn they could have a big year this year we could use something special out of them especially in the playoffs if we make it...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I still we have to stay patient with Kneeland as a pass rusher as the learning curve is steep on the next level. He does look ahead of DLaw at this same stage and DLaw was far more productive as a college pass rusher.
If you take the injuries into account that tank had earlier in his career that slowed him down yeah, I'd say kneeling looks physical aggressive and if he doesn't have the injury issues yes he looks like a version of tank for sure. Like you said this whole draft class is impressive in my opinion I mean hell some of these undrafted free agents are defensive backs corners and safeties are so deep right now I don't know how they're gonna get them all on the team I know it's preseason what we're watching but there's some trade value in some of these guys if we need something else we may look to that room to trade someone to get a big piece here if we need it...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Winning didn't matter. The improved play is what I liked.
Yes I agree we all need we need all need to stay consistent like when they lost last week it wasn't a big deal to me neither is the win it's about what we're seeing from progress from the young players in the team and I liked how they stood up to their starters I know the Raiders are not a top team in the league but almost 3/4 we played their starters and we looked pretty damn good given the circumstances.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I was encouraged with their trenches play, but have to see it against a better opponent as they really struggled against the Vikings in the prior week. Our two rookie lineman need to start, no need to have progress stoppers in front of them cause they are a little more experienced. Believe the run game will be improved, just worry about if we have the right backs to be successful!
Open the holes and Zeke and Dowdle will run through them. I guarantee it. Neither man went blind over the offseason so if there is a crease they will find it. The difference between them is Dowdle will get there a little quicker but need the hole to be wider while Zeke will be able to bust through smaller holes owing to his power. In any case both will be effective and top 4 ypc. With the one caveat that Zeke's ypc might dip below 4 if he gets a large number of short yardage and goal line totes. And if he has the level of success on those that he had in his last two seasons in Dallas, like 90+% conversion rate in short yardage and 12-15 in close rushing TDs, all of of should be just fine with a less gaudy ypc average. I know I will.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My tidbit from last night and I know this is from left field and I find it very ironic all the talk about the fans not showing up for training camp and somehow it's supposed to be a barometer that fans are just mad at Jerry and they're making a stand seriously did you hear the fans in the Rams game I'd say 30% of them or more were Cowboys fans and they had to pay to get in to a fake game literally took the time out to come to a game and paid for it that was a preseason game that mattered not and then the Raiders last night the fan base had to be more than 50% all that talk about the training camp practices were as bad as the training camp counting people's interceptions and failed plays and trying to use that as a barometer not hitting a net yes the fan base is sure showing up and they're paying for it literally these are not free training camp when they're probably at work and there's good reason why they're not there these are in fact proof that the fan base is showing up and everybody here that says differently it's right there for you to see ohh and here you listen to that game it sounded like they were at AT&T last night..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Open the holes and Zeke and Dowdle will run through them. I guarantee it. Neither man went blind over the offseason so if there is a crease they will find it. The difference between them is Dowdle will get there a little quicker but need the hole to be wider while Zeke will be able to bust through smaller holes owing to his power. In any case both will be effective and top 4 ypc. With the one caveat that Zeke's ypc might dip below 4 if he gets a large number of short yardage and goal line totes. And if he has the level of success on those that he had in his last two seasons in Dallas, like 90+% conversion rate in short yardage and 12-15 in close rushing TDs, all of of should be just fine with a less gaudy ypc average. I know I will.
And last year TylerB and Steele and others really just weren't up to par in the run game IMHO and somehow somebody on Facebook and I don't know how true, this is says our offensive line was ranked 4th in rushing..hmm

I don't see how that's possible because my eyes saw dudes being pushed in the back feels a lot there was no real push forward and that needed to be fixed and at least for the time being it looks a lot better as far as being physical and guys with a little attitude trying to get pushed and get into the second level it's gonna help the run game there's no way possible that somebody use analytics enough to twist our offensive line into being #4 last year in the league in rushing that's insane..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- Lance had a much better game vs Radas than Rams , did not turn over ball,..and added a fade TD to Flo ..but still a dink-dunk game and
and did not change my mind to be No.2 over Rush.
- Cropper really took a step backwards with the off over the head PR/and fumble (without contact) ...now it could come down
to Flournoy vs Cropper for that final 6th WR spot.
- Flournoy had a rebound game. TD fade catch and couple of nice short catches beyond that. Brooks had a drop while
Tolbert tough contested catch

- Deuce was decisive and elusive- but is he a one track pony ? (run only?)
- Freeman return to duty help seal his roster spot

- i wonder if CB Scott should've had more(much more?) playing time vs Radas/Rams ? Ditto with Izzy
- Not impressed with Booth- gave a huge deep and overthrow preventing another - tackles in short areas just showed me that
he's very weak vs deep

- kudos game for Guyton & Beebe. OL opened up run room- Josh Ball replaced Guyton ??
-I think teams has some gems in Thomas.., and maybe Woods
- I'm doubting Izzy would stick around for 4th safety role (Hooker, Wilson, Thomas, Bell) and i think only 4 safeties kept.

- We desperately need a backup PR -otherwise it maybe Cooks in emergency.
- Liked #92 al Quadin Muhammad at DE - thought breeland, Huggins, rogers -plus unknown Hall

- Feheko was unimpressive (again) - he's slow and pure JAG, imo
- rookie LB Marist was outstanding, active - tackler- and a nose for the ball- ..Harvey almost a six-pick,

- Our All pro FG kicker Aubrey is probably the best young placekicker in the entire NFL. 66 yd FG ! wow! ..awesome weapon !
I agree about Fehoko. I don’t know what Dan Quinn ever saw in him. I sure don’t.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Rush knows the playbook, his role, Dak loves him.
He's a long-term 2nd option that has chosen to stay here in free agency at very reasonable cost.
He needs very few snaps to get ready so team can focus on Dak and Rush stays ready to assist.
Why he wouldn’t ? Rush is no threat to Dak because of his arm strength and a good backup .

75boyz

Reaction score
Exactly.