Thoughts the morning after

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
I agree with most of your points. I think GM JJ coming on the field threw everyone off. That's when Romo came back and took over being old Romo. Garrett seem like a puppet again and it was the last 5 years all over again.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
I'm depressed that we once again gave a game away to an inferior team. Squandering an opportunity to go up 1.5 games in the division.

I was hoping this year's Cowboys would avoid this sort of thing.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not surprised. Just disappointed. I wanted to see us dominate and play to our ability every week. We are a better team than what we showed yesterday, but the question still remains, just how good are we. Depending on how we bounce back from this, will speak volumes to answering this question. If we cant be consistently good, then it's an indicator that we aren't as good as our record shows.

The jury is still out on if we are a team who can advance convincingly throughout the playoffs.

links18

Reaction score
I'm depressed that we once again gave a game away to an inferior team. Squandering an opportunity to go up 1.5 games in the division.

I was hoping this year's Cowboys would avoid this sort of thing.

Beating the teams you are supposed to beat is the hallmark of a good team. We didn't do it. But you know it was a divisional rival or something like that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw it as a disappointing return to self-inflicted losses.

Romo and the passing game were obviously struggling, while Murray and the running game were obviously not.

But once again, Cowboys coaches cannot see the obvious while the rest of the world can.

I hoped and believed we were past this, but apparently not.

Biggred

Reaction score
This is the game where the stupid turnovers finally cost us the game. Combine that with bad tackling and the passing game not clicking. Rough loss that shouldn't have happened but on to Arizona

links18

Reaction score
I saw it as a disappointing return to self-inflicted losses.

Romo and the passing game were obviously struggling, while Murray and the running game were obviously not.

But once again, Cowboys coaches cannot see the obvious while the rest of the world can.

I hoped and believed we were past this, but apparently not.

We aren't that far removed from that GB game last year. It was less than a year ago.

NickZepp

Reaction score
I think Romo leaving the game kinda threw things off course there. Our staff panicked and didn't stick with what was winning which was DeMarco Murray. Commanders played the better game overall and deserved to win though. Tough to win games when your starting QB misses most of the 2nd half.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Romo leaving the game kinda threw things off course there. Our staff panicked and didn't stick with what was winning which was DeMarco Murray. Commanders played the better game overall and deserved to win though. Tough to win games when your starting QB misses most of the 2nd half.

But yet, they scored 10 points on consecutive drives?

I think that time period should have clearly showed them what they needed to do to have success.

But they somehow refused to see it.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
Very good analysis.

I wonder if the coaching staff is concerned about the number of carries Murray is getting. I wonder if they have confidence in Randle and Dunbar. I don't think Randle did any favors for himself by fumbling. Even if the Cowboys re-sign Murray, I think they'll get a back to spell him - if they want to continue as a running team. Running backs aren't valued as highly anyway, so we should be able to get a good one in the third round, where we found Murray.

Also, this defense really needs the offense to stick to the running game. We're better than last year, but this is far from an elite defense. So goes the offense, so goes the defense.

And I know this will sound strange, but the fact that the entire team was off leads me to believe this was an aberration rather than a trend. The coaching staff was off, the defense was off, the offense was off. I want to think that the Cowboys took the Commanders lightly and may have been looking past them to the Arizona game. At least, I want to believe they were. But I think the loss will underscore the fact that we ...

1. Need to practice and perfect blitz pick-ups and
2. Restore the urgency in that it's not going to be a cake walk to claim the division and a possible No. 1 seed.

I'm still encouraged despite wanting to whip the Skins and go 7-1.

P.S. We'll beat them later in the year.

Great post man, I couldn't agree more. I do like Dunbar on the screens, and Randle has shown great signs of elusiveness. Altogether, we honestly need to work on our backs wrapping up the football. It's become a glaring issue.

I was very upset about the time of possession as well. Washington held the ball for 10 minutes longer than we did, which is particularly frustrating when you look at how many yards per carry we averaged. Linehan didn't call his best game. And, we had built this 6 game win streak on pure domination of the TOP.

I don't think that we overlooked Washington though. It's a rivalry game, and regardless of record, it's always a dog fight. I think, we just failed to execute when it mattered. Came down to coaching.

1. Additionally practice on tackling and wrapping up. We missed far too many last night, which led to big plays.

We play em week 17, so, yeah, we better beat em.

Hoov

Reaction score
It is on Romo, but a lot of blame has to go to Garrett as well.

Romo was getting to cute with all the gesturing and changing plays at the line. When Weeden came in, he just ran the play, and got the play off with 10 seconds on the play clock. and he marched right down the field. I think Romo has to give the called play a chance.

Garrett is the head coach, and has to rule over the entire team, especially the play caller. If something is not working, he needs to go to Linehan and Romo and tell them to go with something else. He should have told them to run plays from under center, from running sets, with more protection. Once they spread the defense, they were doomed because they were bringing the pressure quick and Romo was not seeing it. It happened over and over, and Garret didn't put an end to it. That is on him.

Agree with this.

NickZepp

Reaction score
But yet, they scored 10 points on consecutive drives?

I think that time period should have clearly showed them what they needed to do to have success.

But they somehow refused to see it.

They had a long play from Murray then went back to passing ito too much which worked for a drive, but wasn't what has made this team so good this year.

noyatta21

Reaction score
Well, now that we've had some time to let the loss sink in, I'm curious what the temperature of the forum is this morning. I'll start with some quick hits:

Once again, our rushing attack looked downright dominant. We gashed them on the ground all night and seemed like we were imposing our will on them. For some reason, we abandoned our identity at times throughout the game, especially at critical junctures. I was scratching my head at the lack of runs all night, and downright screaming at the TV in overtime. You have one of the best running games in NFL history. 19 carries for your stud RB? 25 carries all night in a close game? Inexcusable.

As well as he ran, that fumble was Murray's worst of the year. He was surrounded and being brought down by a sea of red inside the 10, after already ripping off an impressive play. Somewhere along the way, the notion of "fighting for every yard" became one of the most respected running back traits, but there is clearly a time and a place for it. He just doesn't seem to get it. I understand the ball getting fluke-ily knocked out by an elbow or something once in a while, but to be stood up like that in the red zone and have it stripped? Can't happen. His otherwise great game notwithstanding, losing points there likely cost us the game.

Hey, did you guys know Haslett likes to blitz us? Apparently the brain trust on offense didn't. Garrett, Linehan, Callahan, Romo... no one had an answer. It was like they didn't even have a gameplan in place for it. Romo, even before the injury, looked completely out of sorts as a result. His play action fakes were halfhearted and he was rushing the ball out.

I love Dez but he just completely disappeared last night. He has to make one of those catches in the end zone. Hopefully this quiets the Dez vs. Irvin thing for a while.

Nice to see Weedon come in and play well. I think he's better than some people realize. Yeah, he sucked in Cleveland, but with the weapons and line he has here, he could at least keep us competitive, and he brings the deep ball into play better than Romo.

The defense didn't play great, but I wasn't as angry about our defense as some people here last night. 17 points in regulation and a huge stop in OT should absolutely be enough to get it done. They had an off night; it happens. But their off night was still good enough to win. This one is on the offense generally, and the offensive coaching staff specifically.

Overall: I'm not too concerned with our team. The media and the Cowboys haters will come out in full force and say we're overrated, etc., but it's the NFL. We lost a game. I figured we'd lose a game or two we should have won. 12-4 is still a very strong possibility, and we can right the ship this weekend against AZ. This is no time to freak out.

That said, I am very concerned with the coaching staff. I thought we had established a clear identity: we will run it down your throats until you stop us. In a tough, close division game like this, we should be running the ball 30-40 times. Instead? 25 runs, 34 passes. Washington actually ran it more (31 rushes), and with less success (4.0 YPC). I hope somebody gets in Linehan's ear and reminds him how we got to 6-1 in the first place. Oh, and we face Washington again, so maybe figure out how to neutralize that blitz.

Curious to hear what others thought/saw last night.

Go Cowboys.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense didn't play great, but I wasn't as angry about our defense as some people here last night. 17 points in regulation and a huge stop in OT should absolutely be enough to get it done. They had an off night; it happens. But their off night was still good enough to win. This one is on the offense generally, and the offensive coaching staff specifically.
Good summary right there.

noyatta21

Reaction score
Last night one of our biggest weakness on defense finally showed up. We need a consistent pass rush! I don't know if there is anyone available to assist. Colt McCoy had to much time to throw the ball. Also where was Escobar last night. He should have been in the game plan. Finally, We need to start implementing something called , THE SCREEN PASS!!!

btcutter

Reaction score
That said, I am very concerned with the coaching staff. I thought we had established a clear identity: we will run it down your throats until you stop us. In a tough, close division game like this, we should be running the ball 30-40 times. Instead? 25 runs, 34 passes. Washington actually ran it more (31 rushes), and with less success (4.0 YPC). I hope somebody gets in Linehan's ear and reminds him how we got to 6-1 in the first place. Oh, and we face Washington again, so maybe figure out how to neutralize that blitz.

Nice. I think as much as we give credit to the coaching staff this game was lost largely because of the coaching. The other part being turnovers by our team.

You would think the coaches have learned their lesson during the winning streak....run..run and then run. It wasn't as if Washington was stopping our running attacks.

Neutralize the blitz....by running and exhausting their D and more screens.

Copy Cat league. Guess what the Card will be doing a few times?! Linnehan and Romo better be ready. Oh, Weeden should get some practice snaps too.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think we learned a great deal last night. In fact, I think we learned what it's all about last night and it's not about the Cowboys. If it were about the Cowboys, Weeden would have stayed in the game and the Cowboys would have won. What it's all about is Tony Romo's oversized ego... it must be appeased above all else. And so we have what we got last night, a loss to the Commanders. How does it feel Cowboys fans? ...knowing that game could have been won but wasn't because someone's ego was more important? And the saddest thing is it will happen again. We never learn and so Romo will be allowed to continue to hobble through games, win or lose and bring the team down with him. Reality sucks sometimes. The coaches bow to Romo's ego and so we continue to fail when times get tough.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Curious to hear what others thought/saw last night.

I was really surprised that no adjustments were made to pick up that blitz or to shake it. During halftime, sitting next to the girlfriend, I told her - no worries, this happens in football, they'll make them pay for those blitzes. They didn't. Those were "cover zero" blitzes, leaving wide receivers one on one. You beat them with slants (leaving your receivers free to run to the end zone), screens, and draw plays.

One thing is for sure - if they don't make the adjustment this week in practice, they'll be seeing these blitzes all year long.

Here are my other quick thoughts of the game:

1) Not going to allow myself to get too emotional about this game. It's Cowboys-Commanders and we knew it'd be a tough game. The loss doesn't tarnish in any way the progress made to date and our playoff hopes

2) Romo should not have come back into the game. He was simply not himself and Weedan could have handled duties the rest of the game

3) I'm less worried about Romo's injury and more about Durant. Losing him for the season is a serious blow

4) Teams who play in Monday Night overtime games do not fair well in their next game :(

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If this lost did not make you worry your crazy. The D got exposed, they cant rush the passer, best LB is done for the year. Trust me this team is in trouble and they will lose more then they win from here on out. they might make the playoffs but it will be 1 and done. With out a D this team is history

The D didn't get exposed, we already knew they were not the real deal. They are what they are and it can't be fixed given the current talent on the roster. The O is were things need to get fixed. Romo is a shell of himself when he is hurt. He needs to sit and let Weeden do his job. And lets not pretend that our star WR didn't drop some easy completion in the endzone. Fix that and we win... Period!