Three Cowboys rookies who will contribute right away in 2024

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Originally posted on Inside The Star | By Mark Heaney | Last updated 5/25/24

One month ago today, the 2024 NFL Draft kicked off in Detroit. 30 days later, the Dallas Cowboys have some new players looking to earn their stripes and contribute immediately.

It is going to be crucial for the Cowboys rookie class to step up in the 2024 season. As fans have discussed extensively, the team did almost nothing in free agency and the trade market.

At the same time, they lost multiple starters are depth pieces to other teams. This gives the Cowboys' rookies and UDFAs a great chance to get snaps in their first seasons.

So, let's take a look at which Cowboys rookies have the best chance to do that.

Center, Cooper Beebe
Linebacker, Marist Liufau
Defensive Tackle, Justin Rogers

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ntribute_right_away_in_2024/s1_17100_40401868

blueblood70

Reaction score
If Liufau works out and Overshown is able to return to expected form Linebacker could actually be a strength this year (barring injury). It's a lot of if's, I know.

Depth still seems a little light.
Believe there's some other guys that may benefit from Zimmer on this team still like Malik Jefferson... And I'm not thinking of all of them but there are other linebackers on this team they can use for death look when you lose a major piece it's hard to replace them there is no team that deep that doesn't lose a beat when their backup becomes the starter... So it's hard to plan for every issue that pops up you lose a player over suspension or injury if it's critical position you gotta go out like for instance if you lose Micah Parsons or CD you probably need to go make a trade if it's before the trade deadline and go get another guy he's not gonna be on the team or at least you're gonna be short and you're gonna need one close to the abilities of what you had or there's gonna be a drop off there'll be a hole the rest of the team will have to rally..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Originally posted on Inside The Star | By Mark Heaney | Last updated 5/25/24

One month ago today, the 2024 NFL Draft kicked off in Detroit. 30 days later, the Dallas Cowboys have some new players looking to earn their stripes and contribute immediately.

It is going to be crucial for the Cowboys rookie class to step up in the 2024 season. As fans have discussed extensively, the team did almost nothing in free agency and the trade market.

At the same time, they lost multiple starters are depth pieces to other teams. This gives the Cowboys' rookies and UDFAs a great chance to get snaps in their first seasons.

So, let's take a look at which Cowboys rookies have the best chance to do that.

Center, Cooper Beebe
Linebacker, Marist Liufau
Defensive Tackle, Justin Rogers

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ntribute_right_away_in_2024/s1_17100_40401868
Guyton kind of needs to be included on that list.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
According to many on here, you shouldn't expect much from these rookies to help us in year 1, in our case we NEED THEM

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford is a name we will hear a lot of in the coming months. He will make the team just on his blocking alone. Wave goodbye to Payton Hendershot.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
If Liufau works out and Overshown is able to return to expected form Linebacker could actually be a strength this year (barring injury). It's a lot of if's, I know.

Depth still seems a little light.
Overshown's draft grade was " Specials teams contributor and career backup". "If you or anyone is counting on him to produce at a high level that is a huge reach. I hop he comes in and kills it.

Motorola

Reaction score
I was thinking Guyton and Beebe are locks to contribute….

Overshown is a rookie right? Technically?
The NBA selectively does that practice.
Two top-5 picks suffered an injury and missed the entire season, but the league still considered those players as "rookies" when they returned the following year.

2009___Blake Griffin: 1st overall pick in the NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers.
He injured his kneecap during the final preseason game.
The day before the regular season began, it was discovered Griffin had a stress fracture in that knee. Despite holding him out the first couple of months of the 2009-10 season, Griffin's the injury was not healing properly, thus leading to surgery in January 2010.
Since he missed the entire season, the NBA deemed Griffin was still a rookie when the 2010-11 rolled around. He achieved and set a number of team \ league scoring marks on his way to being awarded Rookie of the Year unanimously.

2022__Chet Holmgren was selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder 3rd overall in the NBA Draft. Later that summer, he suffered a Lisfranc injury during a Pro-am game, which caused him to miss his first year = 2022-23 season.
Yet like Griffin 13 years before, Holmgren was still considered a rookie when he returned for the NBA 2023-24 season.
He also set a number of team and league records that resulted in him being the runner-up for the Rookie of the Year award.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about Justin Rogers though. To me he's a little fatter version of John Ridgeway or another Quinton Bohanna.

Now prove me wrong, Justin.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Overshown's draft grade was " Specials teams contributor and career backup". "If you or anyone is counting on him to produce at a high level that is a huge reach. I hop he comes in and kills it.
He was lighting it up in camp last year and it carried over to the first two preseason games too before he got hurt. Draft grades aren't always right. For example Dallas got Trevon Diggs late in the 2nd round in 2020 because he was seen as too raw.

Do that draft over again and he's a top five selection.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The NBA selectively does that practice.
If a top 5 pick suffers an injury and misses the entire season, the league still considers that player a "rookie" when he returns the following year.

2009___Blake Griffin: 1st overall pick in the NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers.
He injured his kneecap during the final preseason game.
The day before the regular season began, it was discovered Griffin had a stress fracture in that knee. Despite holding him out the first couple of months of the 2009-10 season, Griffin's the injury was not healing properly, thus leading to surgery in January 2010.
Since he missed the entire season, the NBA deemed Griffin was still a rookie when the 2010-11 rolled around. He achieved and set a number of team \ league scoring marks on his way to being awarded Rookie of the Year unanimously.

2022__Chet Holmgren was selected by the Oklahoma City Thunder 3rd overall in the NBA Draft. Later that summer, he suffered a Lisfranc injury during a Pro-am game, which caused him to miss his first year = 2022-23 season.
Yet like Griffin 13 years before, Holmgren was still considered a rookie when he returned for the NBA 2023-24 season.
He also set a number of team and league records that resulted in him being the runner-up for the Rookie of the Year award.
Yeah I know the NBA I guess I assumed NFL did it too….Ben Simmons benefited from it too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
DE Marshawn Kneeland - designated pass rusher

CB Caelen Carson - special teams

RB Nathaniel Peak - surprise contributor to running game
I see Kneeland less as a designated pass rusher and more as a base end at right end on running downs. I think Sam Williams will be the designated pass rusher.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
TE Brevyn Spann-Ford is a name we will hear a lot of in the coming months. He will make the team just on his blocking alone. Wave goodbye to Payton Hendershot.
Why? You only keeping three tight ends on the roster?

It seems like a lot of fans want Hendershot gone, having him beat out by this UDFA and last year's UDFA (John Stephens) returning from a serious injury. I think the goodbye waves are very premature.