Three Cowboys rookies who will contribute right away in 2024

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Exactly. People keep referring to Kneeland as a D-law replacement but short term (this season) I think he's going to be the replacement for Dorance Armstong who just left.

Kneeland on RDE on run downs and Sam Williams on pass downs. The opposite side of the line D-law on run downs and then moved inside while Parson comes in on pass downs.
Makes the most sense to me since his strength coming in is supposed to be playing the run ... and one of our problems last season was with the RDE maintaining run control of his side of the line. I thought when we drafted him that too much of the focus was on his lack of pass-rushing numbers. Obviously, Dallas wants him to develop into an all-around player who consistently gets pressure, but I believe Zimmer wanted him because he expects him to be a top-notch run defender no matter what.

He's really the opposite of what we were expecting from Williams when we drafted him. We thought he would bring juice to the pass rush but might be limited to passing downs because he wasn't a good run defender. He's been good against it at times, but not consistently when he's in the game. And Parsons does not need to be playing RDE on early downs when offenses can run at him and wear him down. The only real options outside of Kneeland are Golston and Fehoko. They were both tweeners coming in that Quinn wanted to make inside pass rushers. I don't know if Zimmer will kick them back outside as run defenders, but that definitely seems like a possibility, especially since we'll need a rotation there to keep players like Kneeland and Lawrence fresh.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Originally posted on Inside The Star | By Mark Heaney | Last updated 5/25/24

One month ago today, the 2024 NFL Draft kicked off in Detroit. 30 days later, the Dallas Cowboys have some new players looking to earn their stripes and contribute immediately.

It is going to be crucial for the Cowboys rookie class to step up in the 2024 season. As fans have discussed extensively, the team did almost nothing in free agency and the trade market.

At the same time, they lost multiple starters are depth pieces to other teams. This gives the Cowboys' rookies and UDFAs a great chance to get snaps in their first seasons.

So, let's take a look at which Cowboys rookies have the best chance to do that.

Center, Cooper Beebe
Linebacker, Marist Liufau
Defensive Tackle, Justin Rogers

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ntribute_right_away_in_2024/s1_17100_40401868
With all of the FA departures will have more than 3 contributing this year.

exciter

Reaction score
Originally posted on Inside The Star | By Mark Heaney | Last updated 5/25/24

One month ago today, the 2024 NFL Draft kicked off in Detroit. 30 days later, the Dallas Cowboys have some new players looking to earn their stripes and contribute immediately.

It is going to be crucial for the Cowboys rookie class to step up in the 2024 season. As fans have discussed extensively, the team did almost nothing in free agency and the trade market.

At the same time, they lost multiple starters are depth pieces to other teams. This gives the Cowboys' rookies and UDFAs a great chance to get snaps in their first seasons.

So, let's take a look at which Cowboys rookies have the best chance to do that.

Center, Cooper Beebe
Linebacker, Marist Liufau
Defensive Tackle, Justin Rogers

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ntribute_right_away_in_2024/s1_17100_40401868
If Roger’s is doing anything more than holding an inactive designation for more than 3 or 4 games this team may be in trouble.
Liufau is being groomed to hopefully take over the MiKE next year. Expecting anything from someone who might or might not actually be able to play LB is being overly optimistic!

Mcsports

Reaction score
He can block better than Stephens, who I think is the likely odd man out, especially coming off a major injury. I could see us keeping Stephens over Hendershot, though, if Stephens looks like he did last preseason. Right now, I think our likely four are Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot and Spann-Ford, with Stephens going on the practice squad to be given another year to recovery from his tear.
I’d agree with you. Stephens is a good story , but he’s relatively small and largely unproven. He’s an oversized receiver. I don’t see him blocking very well.
But hendershot doesn’t block much either. Hendershot best asset is talking trash

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’d agree with you. Stephens is a good story , but he’s relatively small and largely unproven. He’s an oversized receiver. I don’t see him blocking very well.
But hendershot doesn’t block much either. Hendershot best asset is talking trash
I think Hendershot showed some ability to block, even though it's clearly not his top attribute, and decent receiving ability ... in actual NFL games. Right now, I think he's a better player than Schoonmaker, but the bar isn't that high for Schoonmaker to pass him. Stephens is really going to have to show a lot of development as a tight end to take one of the spots there. Recovering from injury doesn't help his development.

Mcsports

Reaction score
I think Hendershot showed some ability to block, even though it's clearly not his top attribute, and decent receiving ability ... in actual NFL games. Right now, I think he's a better player than Schoonmaker, but the bar isn't that high for Schoonmaker to pass him. Stephens is really going to have to show a lot of development as a tight end to take one of the spots there. Recovering from injury doesn't help his development.
It typically takes tight ends a while to learn the niche of getting open against defenses. Perhaps Schoon will get it and double his production this season.

Motorola

Reaction score
Ki Jana Carter . Running back for
Bengals in 1995.
'Mcsports' Superb memory and / or research.
In the back of my mind, I just knew there was a player that fit that category\circumstance.
My first thoughts were it was a RB or QB; I had looked up Rashaan Salaam, Curt Warner, Sam Bradford - because I recalled they had season-ending injuries early on in their career - but it wasn't before their rookie season started.