Three Cowboys rookies who will contribute right away in 2024

Motorola

Reaction score
Yeah I know the NBA I guess I assumed NFL did it too….Ben Simmons benefited from it too.
I can't recall offhand a top-5 NFL draft pick that was injured and didn't play his rookie season.
Don't believe the NFL does the same the NBA, however.

Motorola

Reaction score
Naw I really can’t either. Seems like that might be a death sentence in the NFL.
Depends on the injury + severity.
1990s and before - severe injuries in many sports ended careers on the pro level, and stopped high school and college players' dreams from advancing to the next level of participation.
Now - in the 21st century, advancements in medicine (treatments, surgeries) have rendered to used to be a "That’s it - you're done playing" decision to "This is the procedure(s) to undergo, along with the rehabilitation to follow, to get you back in the game."

NFL eyes will not only be on Overshown, but also looking at the two New York QBs - Rodgers and Jones - along with the other players around the league in their attempts to return from significant injuries this past season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Depends on the injury + severity.
1990s and before - severe injuries in many sports ended careers on the pro level, and stopped high school and college players' dreams from advancing to the next level of participation.
Now - in the 21st century, advancements in medicine (treatments, surgeries) have rendered to used to be a "That’s it - you're done playing" decision to "This is the procedure(s) to undergo, along with the rehabilitation to follow, to get you back in the game."

NFL eyes will not only be on Overshown, but also looking at the two New York QBs - Rodgers and Jones - along with the other players around the league in their attempts to return from significant injuries this past season.
I mean for rookies. Seems like injuries kill development.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Originally posted on Inside The Star | By Mark Heaney | Last updated 5/25/24

One month ago today, the 2024 NFL Draft kicked off in Detroit. 30 days later, the Dallas Cowboys have some new players looking to earn their stripes and contribute immediately.

It is going to be crucial for the Cowboys rookie class to step up in the 2024 season. As fans have discussed extensively, the team did almost nothing in free agency and the trade market.

At the same time, they lost multiple starters are depth pieces to other teams. This gives the Cowboys' rookies and UDFAs a great chance to get snaps in their first seasons.

So, let's take a look at which Cowboys rookies have the best chance to do that.

Center, Cooper Beebe
Linebacker, Marist Liufau
Defensive Tackle, Justin Rogers

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ntribute_right_away_in_2024/s1_17100_40401868
For sure, this year and last years draft class will need to produce this year if the Cowboys are to go far.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Why? You only keeping three tight ends on the roster?

It seems like a lot of fans want Hendershot gone, having him beat out by this UDFA and last year's UDFA (John Stephens) returning from a serious injury. I think the goodbye waves are very premature.
I have nothing against Hendershot except he can't block and if you're the 3rd or 4th TE on this roster you have to block well.
With a rookie LT who will depend on a little TE help from time to time you would want capable blockers at TE. If they believed in Hendershot and his ability to seal off the edges they wouldn't have given Spann-Ford such a hefty signing bonus to sign.
Furguson
Shoonmaker
Stephens
Spann-Ford

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have nothing against Hendershot except he can't block and if you're the 3rd or 4th TE on this roster you have to block well.
With a rookie LT who will depend on a little TE help from time to time you would want capable blockers at TE. If they believed in Hendershot and his ability to seal off the edges they wouldn't have given Spann-Ford such a hefty signing bonus to sign.
Furguson
Shoonmaker
Stephens
Spann-Ford
He can block better than Stephens, who I think is the likely odd man out, especially coming off a major injury. I could see us keeping Stephens over Hendershot, though, if Stephens looks like he did last preseason. Right now, I think our likely four are Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot and Spann-Ford, with Stephens going on the practice squad to be given another year to recovery from his tear.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I see Kneeland less as a designated pass rusher and more as a base end at right end on running downs. I think Sam Williams will be the designated pass rusher.
Exactly. People keep referring to Kneeland as a D-law replacement but short term (this season) I think he's going to be the replacement for Dorance Armstong who just left.

Kneeland on RDE on run downs and Sam Williams on pass downs. The opposite side of the line D-law on run downs and then moved inside while Parson comes in on pass downs.

Loso86

Reaction score

One month ago today, the 2024 NFL Draft kicked off in Detroit. 30 days later, the Dallas Cowboys have some new players looking to earn their stripes and contribute immediately.

It is going to be crucial for the Cowboys rookie class to step up in the 2024 season. As fans have discussed extensively, the team did almost nothing in free agency and the trade market.

At the same time, they lost multiple starters are depth pieces to other teams. This gives the Cowboys' rookies and UDFAs a great chance to get snaps in their first seasons.

Center, Cooper Beebe

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti...ntribute_right_away_in_2024/s1_17100_40401868
Annnnnd our 1st round pick....!?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Center, Cooper Beebe

"Essentially, the players standing in Rogers' way are a guy coming off a major shoulder injury and a bad rookie season, and two lower-level veterans."

We are *so* bad at DT people write articles about how a 7th round rookie *will* contribute.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am as bullish on this Draft as i was bearish on the last draft which i knew would be the worst ever of this franchise instantly.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He should be considered a rookie, but I guess technically he's not. He won't receive accrual credit for the year though so he would eventually be a restricted free agent.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
According to many on here, you shouldn't expect much from these rookies to help us in year 1, in our case we NEED THEM
The reality is that significant contributions from rookies aren't the norm. When McClay was criticized for saying that 2nd and 3rd year players need to step up, I didn't understand the criticism. I also don't understand the angst over allowing some veterans to walk, when the Cowboys already drafted their replacements.

For example:
  • allowing Biadasz to walk when the plan all along was to draft his replacement, and they have both Bass and Hoffman as potential replacements;
  • allowing Tyron Smith to walk, when the Cowboys planned to draft his replacement, and also have the flexibility of moving Tyler Smith if necessary;
  • allowing Gallup to leave when the Cowboys have a similarly drafted Tolbert waiting in the wings, and already hit on former USFL MVP Ka'Vonte Turpin as another potential replacement at wide receiver;
  • the willingness to bet on Mazi Smith becoming a good player after spending a 1st round pick on him a year ago; the willingness to rely on Schoonmaker to make a step forward at TE2 after spending a 2nd round pick on him a year ago;
  • the willingness to allow Sam Williams and Marshawn Kneeland the opportunities to step into the roles of Armstrong and Fowler in the DE rotation - after all, those are two 2nd round picks;
  • the confidence to rely on 3rd round pick Golston and 4th round pick Fehoko to step up in the Dline rotations
  • relying on recent rookies Ball, Waletzko, Richards, Bass and Hoffman for Oline depth, plus former Jets 3rd round pick Chuma Edoga.
  • relying on players who had rookie injuries in the past, and we still don't know what they are capable of, such as Overshown, Waletzko and Ball
  • allowing Kearse to leave when the Cowboys are 5-deep at the position;
  • allowing aging Gilmore to leave when you have two All-Pro replacements, and multiple recent draft picks the front office wants to give chances to.
On the one hand, many fans complain about "progress stoppers" not allowing recent rookies sufficient playing time; and then the very same fans castigate the front office when they allow the veterans to leave and give the young players a chance to shine. I don't understand the dichotomy of opinions from the very same fans. In my memory, Jimmy Johnson had the freedom to play the rookies in the early 90's which led to some of them becoming stars. We have to believe that some of the younger players that haven't had opportunities will step up and surprise fans who wrote off their rookie seasons and called them busts too soon. A recent example is safety Donovan Wilson, who did very little his first 3 seasons, but really shown out in his 4th year - enough to get a big 2nd contract.

I honestly believe that Tolbert is more than talented enough to replace the production of Gallup. I'm not ready to give up on Mazi Smith or Sam Williams. I'm not yet ready to give up on some of the young Olinemen who haven't really had the opportunity to show what they can do early in their careers yet. Do I believe that all of them will work out? Of course not. But I'm patient enough to believe that some of them will. Does Eric Scott shine in 2024? Does Nahshon Wright finally live up to his 3rd round draft status this season? I don't know. But neither do many who are bludgeoning the front office for not spending big money on free agents to fill supposed holes in the roster.

What if there aren't really holes in the roster? What if those holes were proactively filled by players already acquired and waiting in the wings for the opportunities to have break-out seasons? Why not be positive and hopeful? Am I so naive as to believe the Cowboys have already put in place the perfect roster? No, of course not. But do I think the Cowboys will be able to find a way to sign their 3 big players in the coming seasons (Prescott, Lamb, Parsons)? Yes, I am. They've always found a way to keep the players they want in the past.

Bottom line: This current Cowboys leadership team has put together 3 straight 12 win seasons - something few other teams have accomplished. I don't think the talent loss is great. What the Cowboys are doing now is the same thing that Tom Landry did in 1975 with the dirty dozen draft picks, and what Jimmy Johnson did in the early 90's. They are shedding older players, and giving the young UNPROVEN guys a chance. Some will work out. Some won't. The Cowboys did the same thing in the middle of the 2000's. They did it again in the early 2010's. It hasn't work out recently, but it did work out in the late 70's and early 90's. All we have is the hope that it will work out this time.

I'm willing to hope.