Throw the ball to Zeke more

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His big play last week came off of a pass play where he was left wide open.

Leonard Fournette was a complete bust until he got to Tampa and instead of just cramming him between the tackles they started dumping it to him in space and he is a tough guy to bring down with a little space.

Zeke can catch and if you actually do some thing to get him in space he might actually give us some production.

Everything else with him is pretty much a wasted play that Pollard should’ve got the touch instead of him. Zeke just doesn’t have the juice anymore that made him special and he’s nothing but a big slow back now.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke has looked a sharper runner so far this season, don't know what the OP is seeing differently.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last successful screen play was to Zeke in 2016. So yeah, get him back into the passing game.
They still need to get Pollard more involved in the passing game as well.

As for running the ball, Zeke is fine, it is Moore and his play calling that sucks in that area. Pollard sure didn't have any juice this last week. So put that one to bed, that he is the better runner.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am sorry but this is madness. For the last 2.5 years pass attempts to Zeke have been some of the least productive offensive plays in the history of football.
You are right but they’ve been some dumb written up plays but at the same time if those are the plays they have for him to run then no thanks.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Leonard Fournette was a complete bust until he got to Tampa and instead of just cramming him between the tackles they started dumping it to him in space and he is a tough guy to bring down with a little space.

Zeke can catch and if you actually do some thing to get him in space he might actually give us some production.

Everything else with him is pretty much a wasted play that Pollard should’ve got the touch instead of him. Zeke just doesn’t have the juice anymore that made him special and he’s nothing but a big slow back now.
Yes and no. Yes they should have used that screen or dump off at least 5 times Sunday. They were selling out to stop the run. Pollard got 6 yards. They needed to keep them honest with some between the tackles but not all. Moore don’t call many off tackle runs but when he does it usually gets yards. He tried to hit another dump off to Elliot but ball didn’t get to him. Once again he was open.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I am sorry but this is madness. For the last 2.5 years pass attempts to Zeke have been some of the least productive offensive plays in the history of football.
Maybe if Faux Wonder Kid Kellen Moore knew how to draw up a basic screen play, most of those pass attempts would have been more productive.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Kellen Moore might stink but at this point you can not convince me that Zeke will ever be a true threat in the passing game ever again. He looks ineffective to me due to a severe lack of speed and explosion. All the old Zeke needed was the ball in his hands. The new Zeke needs the perfect play call at the perfect time and the perfect blocking from the perfect line. It is too much to ask for.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I was banging the table for this even when Dak was under center. We under utilize Zeke from the start and the ways we do use him make little sense.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think the OP misspelled Tony Pollards name.

Zeke has been horrible as a receiver year after year. Tons of drops, he doesnt make anyone miss in the open field, and his catch percentage last year was 69%, which is extremely low for a RB which most are in the 80-90% range. Already this season two drops on seven attempts to Zeke, and he has just 27 yards through the air on his 5 catches. The reward just doesnt make up for the risk of involving Zeke more in the receiving game.

Let Zeke be a really good pass blocker. Let him be that 4-5 yards a pop runner. A healthy Zeke has a really nice role on this offense, but we have better players to get involved with receiving the football.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

If Zeke starts ripping off 30 yard receptions every week he will return to being the focal point of the defense wherever he goes and plays like that one against Washington will become impossible again. A back cannot actually "get open" running that kind of route since it's not really a route to begin with. It's just a leak out into the flat after checking if there is someone that needs to be blocked. If Zeke shows any signs of that explosiveness there will again be two defenders in his hip pocket wherever he goes whether he has the ball or not. It's a nice idea.. but we might get one or two more games of Zeke being ignored in the flat before things shift back to the way they were..

conner01

Reaction score

I’d say throw the ball to pollard more
He has more big play potential

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think the OP misspelled Tony Pollards name.

Zeke has been horrible as a receiver year after year. Tons of drops, he doesnt make anyone miss in the open field, and his catch percentage last year was 69%, which is extremely low for a RB which most are in the 80-90% range. Already this season two drops on seven attempts to Zeke, and he has just 27 yards through the air on his 5 catches. The reward just doesnt make up for the risk of involving Zeke more in the receiving game.

Let Zeke be a really good pass blocker. Let him be that 4-5 yards a pop runner. A healthy Zeke has a really nice role on this offense, but we have better players to get involved with receiving the football.

If you are going to quote stats then please do so accurately.. Zeke's catch percentage last year was 72.3%.. Not great but I think the number of times he was "targeted" by a ball that was being heaved out of bounds 10 feet over his head needs to be taken into account. If I recall correctly he had less than 5 drops last season.. When I get time I will dig out the actual number..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If you are going to quote stats then please do so accurately.. Zeke's catch percentage last year was 72.3%.. Not great but I think the number of times he was "targeted" by a ball that was being heaved out of bounds 10 feet over his head needs to be taken into account. If I recall correctly he had less than 5 drops last season.. When I get time I will dig out the actual number..
Catch % is largely dependent upon the source as it is subjective so some extent. Either way, he is a solid 15% lower than the better receiving backs in the league.

Taking that out of the equation though, here are Zekes numbers the last 3 years....

5 catches
27 yards
6.5 YPR
2 drops

47 catches
287 yards
6.1 YPR
2 drops

52 catches
338 yards
6.5 YPR
8 drops

So drops were an issue in 2020, cleaned it up for 2021, but we are back on pace in 2022 for 8+ drops again....obviously we will see if that is actually the case or not.

When he does catch the ball its for 6 yards per pop on average....Decent, not great.

I'm just not seeing where the need for Zeke to get more involved with receiving comes from. He's OK slipping out on a delayed route, I'm perfectly fine with him being a check down option. I don't see any need for this offense to design any additional plays to get the ball in Zekes hand as a receiver though. I'd much rather see those looks go to Pollard....even though his numbers dont look that hot either. Get Zeke his 40-50 catches per year and that's fine. Other than that I'd let Zeke do what he does best, I just don't see this as playing to the guys strengths in 2022.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Catch % is largely dependent upon the source as it is subjective so some extent. Either way, he is a solid 15% lower than the better receiving backs in the league.

Taking that out of the equation though, here are Zekes numbers the last 3 years....

5 catches
27 yards
6.5 YPR
2 drops

47 catches
287 yards
6.1 YPR
2 drops

52 catches
338 yards
6.5 YPR
8 drops

So drops were an issue in 2020, cleaned it up for 2021, but we are back on pace in 2022 for 8+ drops again....obviously we will see if that is actually the case or not.

When he does catch the ball its for 6 yards per pop on average....Decent, not great.

I'm just not seeing where the need for Zeke to get more involved with receiving comes from. He's OK slipping out on a delayed route, I'm perfectly fine with him being a check down option. I don't see any need for this offense to design any additional plays to get the ball in Zekes hand as a receiver though. I'd much rather see those looks go to Pollard....even though his numbers dont look that hot either. Get Zeke his 40-50 catches per year and that's fine. Other than that I'd let Zeke do what he does best, I just don't see this as playing to the guys strengths in 2022.

Drops have really only been an issue for Zeke for that one year.. Which was also the only year in which fumbles were an issue. I am more than prepared to chalk that up to Covid after-effects because we know it affects strength, stamina and concentration. He never looked himself at all that season. But the fact remains that as long as the majority of his receptions are just going to be of the last minute desperation heave that handcuffs him to the sideline he's never going to have big receiving numbers in yards. The biggest difference on the big play Sunday aside from the fact that the defense ignored him was that he got the ball with room to do something other than step out of bounds. The other one is the dump over the middle with a linebacker standing right next to him. They did try lining him up wide and running routes with him last year but that was after the knee injury and it looked absolutely horrid. A healthy Zeke is a legit receiver.. Pollard is a better one though.. So they need to figure out how to get both of them the ball in space.