Tiger is back

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Golf is more interesting and better when Tiger is playing. Even if some do not like Tiger, he has helped elevate the sport to a wider audience which is good for the sport.

With that said.

I think it might be prudent to see how the new few months go and how he does before claiming he is back in a meaningful or winning way.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard on the radio today the two tournaments he was in doubled their ratings from the year before and it was the highest rating for a non-Major final day since 2015. Like him or not, he brings in the viewers.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Playing well at Bay Hill was big for him. It was a fully loaded field and he played with a confident swing, especially off the tee.

rynochop

Reaction score
Tiger looks like he could play safety in the NFL...wonder if that's all natural

uvaballa

Reaction score
The Masters ratings should be higher this year than the last few years. Good to see some of the older big name guys playing better recently. Golf hasn’t been the same the last few years. People hyped up Rory and Speith but neither looks like they’ll be as good as Tiger or Phil.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Masters ratings should be higher this year than the last few years. Good to see some of the older big name guys playing better recently. Golf hasn’t been the same the last few years. People hyped up Rory and Speith but neither looks like they’ll be as good as Tiger or Phil.
They may not be as good as Tiger or Phil but I believe the PGA is in good hands with the likes of Jordan, Rory, Ricky, and Justin.

As a matter of fact it might be in better hands when you include greats like Dustin and Bubba.

It reminds me more of the era I grew up in with many more greats in the mix without 1 or 2 dominating the game .

uvaballa

Reaction score
They may not be as good as Tiger or Phil but I believe the PGA is in good hands with the likes of Jordan, Rory, Ricky, and Justin.

As a matter of fact it might be in better hands when you include greats like Dustin and Bubba.

It reminds me more of the era I grew up in with many more greats in the mix without 1 or 2 dominating the game .

People/fans tend to like dynasties and dominance more than parity. Look at teams like Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc. They tend to have larger followings than most other teams. I thought golf ratings have been declining and I know many of the golf stores have been going out of business recently.

My favorite golfer from the younger guys is Bubba. Some of the other guys were built up to be the next greats but they aren’t going to live up to it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People/fans tend to like dynasties and dominance more than parity. Look at teams like Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc. They tend to have larger followings than most other teams. I thought golf ratings have been declining and I know many of the golf stores have been going out of business recently.

My favorite golfer from the younger guys is Bubba. Some of the other guys were built up to be the next greats but they aren’t going to live up to it.
I understand but I wasn’t speaking for the good of the fans.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
It's kinda funny with me since I know a lot of people got into golf because Tiger was so dominant in the 2000s. I'm the opposite, I didn't get into golf until this decade after Tiger had stopped winning and I've really enjoyed the last 5 years where the New School golfers have come up. Obviously, none of them are the ratings draw of Tiger but I guess I'm a different type of "fan" where I don't really have a favorite guy to root for. I tune in just to hope for a competitive tournament and to see great play, which I know isn't usually the case because most people tune in to root for their guys like Tiger, Phil, Rory, etc.

uvaballa

Reaction score
It's kinda funny with me since I know a lot of people got into golf because Tiger was so dominant in the 2000s. I'm the opposite, I didn't get into golf until this decade after Tiger had stopped winning and I've really enjoyed the last 5 years where the New School golfers have come up. Obviously, none of them are the ratings draw of Tiger but I guess I'm a different type of "fan" where I don't really have a favorite guy to root for. I tune in just to hope for a competitive tournament and to see great play, which I know isn't usually the case because most people tune in to root for their guys like Tiger, Phil, Rory, etc.

Yeah not many tune in and not root for or against someone. That’s like watching the NFL and not having a team you follow.

The newer school guys are closer together talent wise, so you will see different guys winning each week.

My boy Bubba denied Thomas the #1 ranking. I also liked seeing Bubba play in the NBA all star game.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Tiger definitely draws an audience.

On a different subject - can someone smack the idiots yelling out dumb crap at these events?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Tiger is like a Jaguar that just got rebuilt.......fresh out of the shop

It is clean and pristine but this is as good as it is ever going to get...... we know they break down

He had 4 years to rest and recover from surgeries but once the wear and tear of playing again hits him he will struggle even more

I love that he is back to being competitive and that all the fans and announcers are slobbering him again....it makes it that much more fun when one of the young guns beats him...... they aren't scared like David Duvall and Davis Love and young Phil used to be.......Dustin Johnson is married to Paulina Gretzky...... Tiger Woods doesn't impress him

And speaking of Phil........ he is already older than Jack when he won the Masters in 86, which is unreal watching him compete every week..... when he won a couple weeks ago in Mexico it was a Majors level field..... this years Masters should be awesome and might break ratings records

jimmy40

Reaction score
42 year old man with the fastest swing on tour this year, that should work well for a back with 4 surgeries already.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Tiger may be back ... but I think it’s time the golf world comes to the realization that a 42 year old with multiple back surgeries just may not be able to compete with the best ...

I thought he’d make the masters interesting. And who knows, maybe he play two great rounds on the weekend...