Time for an OL shift

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
No. Replacing a guy doesn’t mean he “sucks”. Does that mean McGovern “sucks” because he is on the bench now? Lol… gimme a break

This is simply about playing your best 5. And yes, the running game looks good— but two things:

1. McG is an excellent run blocker— so replacing Williams with a great run blocker hardly hurts us

and

2. The issues are in pass protection. Williams and Biadasz are light in the pants and are getting collapsed a few times every game. We need to improve that part of our OL play
I’m not a coach so I’ll leave it up to them. You and I have no clue.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No.

A big part of Steele playing well at RT despite being terrible at LT in the preseason is the fact that Zack Martin is next to him.
- La'el is great physically; however, he is not a smart player and makes many mistakes, especially in run blocking.
- Putting a young player at RG would just cause La'el to make more mistakes.

McGovern needs to practice snapping 24/7.
- Bring in L.P. Ladouceur and Dale Hellestrae to teach McGovern long snapping.
- Then shotgun snaps will seem easy.

The other option is to move CW to OC and play McGovern at LG.
- If Biadasz can't snap reliably, then the might as well play CW there.
- I don't believe that McGovern can't play LG.
- McCarthy just said that to deflect the questions about replacing CW with McGovern.
This has been told to the media for awhile now, it's not new.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the easiest change to make while keeping our five best on the field (as demonstrated by their performance, not pedigree) would be to keep Steele at RT and move Collins back to LG where he's played at a high level before.

exactly where he doesn't want to play. Yea that makes sense.

quickccc

Reaction score
I understand your point— but I think you are WAY overestimating the difficulty Zack would experience moving from RG to LG. You have not looked at two precedents I mentioned previously: Zack swapped from RG to RT— no issues. And Larry Allen moved around between LG and LT. A move from G to T is more difficult than simply RG to LG— and the best players handle those transitions.

The only reason to consider moving Zack is to give the younger player more security at his natural position. If McG can play LG at a higher level than Williams— then by all means— do that and leave Zack at RG

If we stay with the status quo— I think the flaws that are present now can be exploited by playoff teams that have a good defense. I am looking at the big picture and wanting to see us field the most competitive OL in Jan/Feb— not just what might be “good enough” in the reg season.

- A lot of those switch outs and subbing among Martin and Allen was done because they were the last resort because of dire injuries,. i don't think any of the line shift is gonna be done
because some do not like Williams or Tyler.

- Now we may be in some trouble at center should Tyler be absent because of injury or Covid positive. Philibin has done a lot of good with the OL, but he also has had
some questions with his workings as well.

- Only now is he entertaining getting McGovern some snaps at center, ..when he should have had him learning and getting learning reps at center in OTAs, camp and preseason.
Instead those reps went to the like of Maurice Jones, Farniok, etc. Imo, he's never liked the idea of McGovern at center,.. just as he never liked the idea of McGovern playing last year
until the rash of injuries and shifts forced him to otherwise.

- At one time, even rookie Tyler saw quick action at LG subbing for Williams, ... McGovern would have never hit the field if not for the injuries.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jerry made a comment that La’el and Steele may be on the field together on 105.3 this AM.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. I think Williams is a good LG who simply can not compensate for bad Center play like Martin can. So that is where defenses attack.
2. Full confidence this coaching staff will make any needed changes if they had confidence in a more positive outcome. Next week will tell us what they think 100%

calicowboy54

Reaction score
The LG and C spots are the weak links. Don’t see how we keep Connor Williams going forward. Someone will pay him— but he is not a long term answer at LG for us.

So it makes sense to get our best 5 out there now and LG is the easier position to upgrade vs C. McG or Zack are upgrades— However, McGovern’s most natural position is RG. Zack may be able to transition to LG faster and expedite the process.

Smith
Zack
Biadasz
McGovern
Collins

We put some more beef next to Biadasz and hope Zack and McGovern can shore things up on the inside.

I realize swapping McG for Williams is more straight forward— but part of me just really wants to see Zack and Tyron cave defenses in on the left side lol
i personally would prefer McGovern or LC at LG.

Smith
LC
Biadasz
Martin
Steel

Dak needs to talk to his buddy LC and say I need you to build the Great wall in front of me and play LG… so i can step up and make throws.

Loso86

Reaction score
The LG and C spots are the weak links. Don’t see how we keep Connor Williams going forward. Someone will pay him— but he is not a long term answer at LG for us.

So it makes sense to get our best 5 out there now and LG is the easier position to upgrade vs C. McG or Zack are upgrades— However, McGovern’s most natural position is RG. Zack may be able to transition to LG faster and expedite the process.

Smith
Zack
Biadasz
McGovern
Collins

We put some more beef next to Biadasz and hope Zack and McGovern can shore things up on the inside.

I realize swapping McG for Williams is more straight forward— but part of me just really wants to see Zack and Tyron cave defenses in on the left side lol
Why would you move Zack....I'd rather have 52 out there than 63

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Smith - Collins - McG - Martin - Steele

Best 5 on the field.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I understand your point— but I think you are WAY overestimating the difficulty Zack would experience moving from RG to LG. You have not looked at two precedents I mentioned previously: Zack swapped from RG to RT— no issues. And Larry Allen moved around between LG and LT. A move from G to T is more difficult than simply RG to LG— and the best players handle those transitions.

The only reason to consider moving Zack is to give the younger player more security at his natural position. If McG can play LG at a higher level than Williams— then by all means— do that and leave Zack at RG

If we stay with the status quo— I think the flaws that are present now can be exploited by playoff teams that have a good defense. I am looking at the big picture and wanting to see us field the most competitive OL in Jan/Feb— not just what might be “good enough” in the reg season.
I have zero doubt that Martin would be anything other than an All Pro LG. He has apparently already stated he doesn't want to move positions and this came up over and over when discussing RT. Would he be open to a move to LG? I don't know, but you don't ask him just because you want to make a younger player more comfortable. McGovern has played both OG spots here (including practices) and was in a competition to win the LG spot (that he lost). He sure as heck isn't going to turn down playing LG because he prefers RG. And again, do you want your weaker OG next to Collins or Smith? Right now Martin solidifies your right side and Smith your left side. Why risk that?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We are such a reactionary fan base.
Yeah, I don't get it. The Cowboys finally have a good team and are 5-1 and all I hear is trade this guy, bench this guy, play this guy, switch this guy with this guy. It's like they're 1-5 instead of 5-1.