Time to get Turpin involved with the offense

blueblood70

Reaction score
Since the Washington game on Thanksgiving, Turpin has only 5 targets with 2 receptions for 14 yards. That is 6 games worth of stats. Including just 1 reception in the last 4 games.

Given his game breaking speed and ability to gobble up yards in space, it's time to get him involved in the offense. He is a greatly underutilized weapon. If the Cowboys aren't going to use him now, then when? What are they saving him for? This is win or season over time. CeeDee will be facing tougher coverage and the opportunity for Turpin to produce will be there.
You know the opportunities got less and less because CD lamb just gobbling up targets,

I mean, I agree that we should use all our weapons but when you have a guy hot like CD lamb you just keep feeding him the ball and then you got cooks who stepped up his game and he's doing much better the last five or six games..

there's only so many balls to go around,

I mean you got CD Lamb, cooks, Ferguson, those are your primary targets in most games that's all we needed...

I mean I agree that we probably should start with a lot more motion getting this guy involved behind the line of scrimmage but let me preface it by saying this as a disclaimer is, if needed I mean why force the man the ball or create plays for him if the other guys are putting up 38 points just for an example?? I don't remember the 90s Cowboys worried about who was their number 2-3 or four targets they literally handed it to Mrs. Smith threw it to Michael Irvin occasionally got novacheck involved and the other guys they ate the bread crumbs it's no different here we got so many targets it only so many snaps everybody's not going to get involved most games....

FanofJerry

Reaction score
How many lineman have to be on the line of scrimmage that arent recievers?

Can there not be some lethal play design with Lamb, Turpin, Cooks, Pollard. Just overwhelm the defense with speed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I just notice that’s what Gallup is regulated to. Just a blocker it seems.
Going with that, we tip our hats when it's running plays. I know at times if Tolbert per say goes in motion to a certain point of the formation it's going to be a run. Troy Aikman also made reference to this several games when we had Noah Brown here and he came in here when it was run plays to block. Having Gallup in at this point is kind of painful as it's taking reps away from Tolbert who I think is coming on

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
well of course youre right. You can never underestimate the poor decision making of this front office at times
I think it comes down to are they better with him or without him. Simple question but yeah if he takes pay cut who knows. I don’t expect him back personally. Sucks what happened to his career.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Since the Washington game on Thanksgiving, Turpin has only 5 targets with 2 receptions for 14 yards. That is 6 games worth of stats. Including just 1 reception in the last 4 games.

Given his game breaking speed and ability to gobble up yards in space, it's time to get him involved in the offense. He is a greatly underutilized weapon. If the Cowboys aren't going to use him now, then when? What are they saving him for? This is win or season over time. CeeDee will be facing tougher coverage and the opportunity for Turpin to produce will be there.
having speed is one thing. but being a WR is more than just being fast. do I want him involved? yes. do I think there is about 5 plays each game he could be on the field and touch the ball at least once? yes. but offense goes through Lamb, Fergi, Pollard, Cook. so he is down the list. I liked the formation where he lined up in the back field. forces the defense to focus on the edges since he is not going to run up the middle. perhaps a formation where he motions and lines up in the backfield with Pollard, so now who is going to get the ball and where do we focus. just giving the defense something to think about.

offlimits

Reaction score

Were you eavesdropping on me and the wife on Sunday during the game?! That was my question to my wife. Turpin is the fastest player in the league. Why not design 3 or 4 plays for him every game? Get the ball to him in space.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys are getting the most out of Turpin that they can get at this point. He was eighth on the team in targets(5th for WRs) for a reason. It would be nice to see him have a big play or two in the playoffs, but at this point he is what he is.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
So frustrating Turpin returning punts with fair catches all the time. Beasly v2

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not expecting someone who has had little involvement to suddenly become a focal point in the playoffs, but I guess stranger things have happened.
How did "get Turpin more involved" become "focal point"?

360_F_68695988_AwabS3jJHeI9SWQT9E6gaBiQSPdONAfN.jpg

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
The thing is Turpin, for all his speed and explosiveness, is still just 5'7, 155 pounds. You have to use him sparingly. He will never be more than a gadget player and the moment the other team sees him in the game they already know something is drawn up involving him.
That is why you sometimes have nothing drawn up for him while he is in the game.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Maybe the Cowboys are getting the most out of Turpin that they can get at this point. He was eighth on the team in targets(5th for WRs) for a reason. It would be nice to see him have a big play or two in the playoffs, but at this point he is what he is.
No, there is more. Turpin hasn't scratched the surface on his capabilities thus far.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They’ve gotten him involved this season. He has 12 catches for 127 and 3 TDs. He’s also had 11 carries for 110 yards and a TD. With the season CeeDee is having he’s not going to get a lot of targets. There’s going to be some limitations with him due to his size. He’s not someone you can get the ball to all day. He wouldn’t hold up.