Time to learn some truth about the front office

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, Jerry cares so much about our opinions. All you had to see was the look on Jerry's face as Garrett and his poor coaching cost us the final loss to the eagles. Probably Jerry's darkest moment. Anyone who couldn't see that was garrett's last stand is blind or obtuse.
Not our opinions but public opinion. You’re smart enough to know the difference.

Jethro obviously wanted to retain Garrett even after the loss. It took him longer than expected to come to grips there wasn’t anyway to sway public opinion.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
They might have hit on some draft picks, but they don’t know how to build a roster. They don’t know or can’t find the role players and grunts. Those guys are every bit as important as the jersey sellers. They sure as hell don’t understand that.

Additionally, the Jones family sets the football culture, and accountability. That should be left to the Head Coach. It’s abysmal in Dallas.

Wade Phillips, McCarthy, Parcells (who I loved) all retread coaching hires. Campo and Garrett were essentially part of the family. Find me a young, dynamic, innovative coach that can be the face of and lead the franchise. They can’t find him, they don’t know where to look.

sorry, IMO this FO is total trash. 25 years of operating the same way tells me that.

Big_D

Reaction score
There’s been crazy and negative speculation on here as it regards the front office. Why do people here think:

1) Jerry is still the day to day GM?
2) The team has been bad at drafting?

Jerry is only involved in the big decisions. And even then it’s to give his stamp of approval. Stephen is the one actually making the day to day decisions and even then it’s guys like Will McClay for player scouting and others that do contracts doing most of the work. It wasn’t Stephen or Jerry that did Zekes contract. It was some other guy who I don’t recall his name.

As for drafting the Cowboys have been pretty good relative to the rest of the league. Yes thereve been misses but every team has them.

In the last 10 years the team has drafted:

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Dwayne Harris (still in the league 9 years later)
Crawford (still in league 8 years later)
Hitchens (starting for Chiefs)
Damien Wilson (starting for Chiefs)
Traded a 1 for Coop

Overall they’ve drafted 13 pro bowlers which is an average of 1.3 per draft and will probably be more in a few years with at least CD and Diggs.

If you’re going to average 1 pro bowler every draft and numerous starters that will play 8-9 years you’re doing your job. Find me how many pro bowlers over 10 years other teams have drafted. I’d imagine Dallas is in the top 10 in the league in that.

The player personnel has been pretty good. I’d say poor coaching on defense and bad luck is the reason the team hasn’t gotten to NFC title games the last 10 years. DeMarcos fumble in 2014 in GB and the 3rd down bomb from Rodgers in 2016.

Defensively the scheme has never complimented the offense and was a liability in the playoffs in 2018 and all season in 2019. This year it’s just all over the place between coaches and players.

If I had to grade the front office on player personnel, I’d say a B+ and that’s mainly due to handling of contracts not the talent they bring in. The biggest error they made was trying to use Jaylons one good season as leverage against Zeke in training camp in 2019. Shouldn’t have extended him. They also gave Marinelli way too much input in the draft. Cost them Taco and Trysten. But the Patriots miss with WRs in the 1st round all the time so mistakes happen everywhere. Their drafted WRs since like 2010 have 183 total catches in the league on a graphic Fox showed a few weeks ago.

Stop taking the easy road and saying the FO is trash. Because reality is their among the best in talent acquisition, probably below average on contracts and average in evaluating coaches. The rest of the league minus New England and Kansas City have all the same complaints about who wears their headset. Even Sean Payton went 7-9 3 straight years.

Funny when people mention stuff like “most pro bowlers!” It’s nothing but a meaningless crap game and a popularity contest on top of it. There are zero examples of a quality front office where it actually counts. Winning which consists of a whole lot more that what happens on draft day and the individual achievements of said players. Football and the job of a quality front office is a year round endeavor and this one is pure crap. The results that actually count don’t lie! Every decision, every free agent pickup, coaching hire, trade and crap contract? And ultimately the same outcome.. year after year! And zero pro bowlers in 2020! lol

MikeB80

Reaction score
No, it is not. Just look at garrett's departure. Contract allowed to expire. No fanfare. No press conference. No even the obligatory we've mutually decided to move in another direction. He was kicked to the curb.

Yea. That’s what happens. him not being resigned has nothing to do with the fact that it was those two implemented the philosophy of all home grown players and no free agents. They kicked out ware and romo. Stephen is not an employee and Garrett gets the axe. That is how it goes.

live by the sword die bye the sword. Garrett was pretty ruthless getting rid of people and that is how him and Stephen wanted it to be. They were running the team like Pittsburgh or gb.

Stephen never shut up about it. Now he is singing a different tune. That’s the way it goes. In a few weeks Stephen will be on tv telling everyone how talented they are and promoting the new coaches they bring in.

maybe if we are lucky we will get one of those we don’t need good wr because we have dak sound bites like may of 2018. That was fun

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I am not disagreeing with the idea they made some good draft picks, but at the end of the day, if the players are not able to stay on the field, it does not matter how great they are.
  • Tyron -- injured and missed games in multiple seasons
  • Frederick -- non-football injury and missed entire season; retired much earlier than expected
  • Dez -- injured foot and missed games; many say he was never the same afterwards
  • Dak -- injured and missed most of this season
  • Zach -- injured and missed games this season
  • Zeke -- suspended for 6 games in one season; missed a game due to injury this season
  • LVE -- injured and missed games in multiple seasons
  • Lee -- injured and missed games in MOST seasons
  • Schultz -- kept on the sideline too long when starting Witten who was no longer better
  • Hitchens (starting for Chiefs) -- injured and missed games
  • Damien Wilson (starting for Chiefs) -- injured and missed games

We are really blaming them for injuries? Only one or two of those guys had any injury concerns before being drafted. Pretty ridiculous standard.

The talent has been there...every year Dallas' talent is considered better than the results. That points to coaching. Funny thing is, when Parcells was here the talent was probably as low as it had been but he was making winners out of castoffs and had set the table for his replacement.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are really blaming them for injuries? Only one or two of those guys had any injury concerns before being drafted. Pretty ridiculous standard.

The talent has been there...every year Dallas' talent is considered better than the results. That points to coaching. Funny thing is, when Parcells was here the talent was probably as low as it had been but he was making winners out of castoffs and had set the table for his replacement.
Next go read the posts in the thread before commenting. I have addressed this already more than once.

I did not blame anyone.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is what happens when you build an offensive juggernaut that struggles against good defenses while neglecting a defense that couldn't stop a junior high offense. Jerry likes to pay offensive players because they are exciting to watch not because it will lead to a championship.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Actually Lee, Vander Esch and Smith all had serious injury history when drafted .

And while we have been talented on offense which has been top 10 most years during this era our defense has been below average to horrid most seasons.

Parcells no doubt had the best coaching season this era in 2003 turning a 5-11 team to 10-6 and a WildCard appearance. While he resurrected our franchise in 4 years setting us up for potentially more success he didn’t ever have any more success than other coaching tenures in recent years.

I’d argue 2007 was our best window but with awful drafts on the most part under Wades tenure the teams talent was deflated again by 2010 with poor drafts and personnel decisions with the exception of a couple key talents.

Our talent overall on the most part since has been over hyped with basically a great OL Garrett built , RB and WR and one perineal pro bowler on defense who could stay healthy along with a couple good but not Elite QB’s.

This year the Cowboys had ZERO pro bowlers.

Our coaching hadn’t been great but our talent overall definitely over hyped in recent years. I haven’t seen a championship caliber team with a Star on their helmets since mid 90’s.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Actually Lee, Vander Esch and Smith all had serious injury history when drafted .

You dont think the injuries to Dak, Collins and Martin had an impact on this? Or the lack of team success? Id be willing to bet we might have a receiver that would be Pro Bowl bound if Dak didn't get hurt. It's really all relative.

fivetwos

Reaction score

And while we have been talented on offense which has been top 10 most years during this era our defense has been below average to horrid most seasons.

Parcells no doubt had the best coaching season this era in 2003 turning a 5-11 team to 10-6 and a WildCard appearance. While he resurrected our franchise in 4 years setting us up for potentially more success he didn’t ever have any more success than other coaching tenures in recent years.

I’d argue 2007 was our best window but with awful drafts on the most part under Wades tenure the teams talent was deflated again by 2010 with poor drafts and personnel decisions with the exception of a couple key talents.

Our talent overall on the most part since has been over hyped with basically a great OL Garrett built , RB and WR and one perineal pro bowler on defense who could stay healthy along with a couple good but not Elite QB’s.

Our coaching hadn’t been great but our talent overall definitely over hyped in recent years. I haven’t seen a championship caliber team with a Star on their helmets since mid 90’s.
Agree on 2007.

Garrett's teams were able to take advantage of a very poor division and win those games.

He never would have been here that long if that wasnt the case, although I'm not sure it would have mattered.

I dont really see how any coach could ever succeed here with the way Jerry's mouth and presence undermines the entire staff constantly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You dont think the injuries to Dak, Collins and Martin had an impact on this? Or the lack of team success? Id be willing to bet we might have a receiver that would be Pro Bowl bound if Dak didn't get hurt. It's really all relative.
Of course. Injuries no doubt prevented us from at least winning this horrid division. And we would have probably had a couple OL and a WR in Pro Bowl. Prob Dak too if he stayed on same pace .

But most likely while winning division no more than 8 or 9 wins. While there’s much talent on offense very little on defense with no pro bowlers this year.

Basically we have built a good Fantasy offensive team which can blow out equal to lesser opponents while struggling against playoff caliber teams as illustrated beginning 1-3.

Pretty much the same trend as last year as all 8 of our wins against lesser teams and losses against winning record teams with only one exception. In 2019 we averaged 35 points in our 8 wins and 17 points in our losses.

I agree. My expectations under Jethro are low.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Tyron didn't have an injury in the first 5-6 seasons he was here. He doesn't qualify as an injury risk when drafted. Lee was and that is why they got him where they did.

There have been championship caliber talent here on multiple occasions. If we had a Landry or Johnson level coach, we would have won at least one.

cern

Reaction score
Not our opinions but public opinion. You’re smart enough to know the difference.

Jethro obviously wanted to retain Garrett even after the loss. It took him longer than expected to come to grips there wasn’t anyway to sway public opinion.
i like to think i'm smart enough to know jerry wanted to throw garrett out of the building. but jg stuck like a tick behind a dog's ear until his deal ran out. at which case he became a trespasser.

cern

Reaction score

parcells never had a qb worth much his first couple of years. then he finally got romo. even so, he did an outstanding job here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tyron didn't have an injury in the first 5-6 seasons he was here. He doesn't qualify as an injury risk when drafted. Lee was and that is why they got him where they did.

There have been championship caliber talent here on multiple occasions. If we had a Landry or Johnson level coach, we would have won at least one.
I was referring to Jaylon Smith not Tyron.

Championship caliber talent on offense perhaps but not defense. Rarely we have seen championship caliber teams this era without a top defense or Elite QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
parcells never had a qb worth much his first couple of years. then he finally got romo. even so, he did an outstanding job here.
Yes , as I gave him credit for resurrecting a 5-11 franchise setting the table for potentially more success. But ultimately didn’t have anymore success with no division titles and 2 WC appearances without a win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
i like to think i'm smart enough to know jerry wanted to throw garrett out of the building. but jg stuck like a tick behind a dog's ear until his deal ran out. at which case he became a trespasser.
Jethro certainly had an odd way of showing he wanted to throw him out the door.

Here’s one article describing in Jethros words the attachment and difficulty in letting Garrett go. There’s others which were reported in DMN I’m not allowed to share.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/09/jerry-jones-on-why-he-took-so-long-to-fire-jason-garrett/

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garrett was mostly under appreciated by fans who held him responsible for the frustrations and disappointments of this era when actually his tenure not only saw this franchise transforming into a more consistent contender but actually had more success winning more division titles (3) than the previous 3 HC’s combined while winning more playoff games (2) than the previous 4 HC’s cumulatively.

His 85-67 mark in 9 1/2 years ranks second for most wins in Cowboy history only behind Landry. He is only 1 of 3 HC’s who won Coach of the Year honors with Dallas. He came within a possession on 3 different occasions of the Cowboys 1st Championship appearance since 1995.

And this doesn’t even include his contributions to the success we had while he was OC which was part of another division title, 2 more playoff appearances and playoff win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They might have hit on some draft picks, but they don’t know how to build a roster. They don’t know or can’t find the role players and grunts. Those guys are every bit as important as the jersey sellers. They sure as hell don’t understand that.

Additionally, the Jones family sets the football culture, and accountability. That should be left to the Head Coach. It’s abysmal in Dallas.

Wade Phillips, McCarthy, Parcells (who I loved) all retread coaching hires. Campo and Garrett were essentially part of the family. Find me a young, dynamic, innovative coach that can be the face of and lead the franchise. They can’t find him, they don’t know where to look.

sorry, IMO this FO is total trash. 25 years of operating the same way tells me that.
Well done! I don’t think I’ve seen your post before. I’m impressed.

I’d only add that they don’t want their HC to be the face of the franchise and why the fallout with Jimmy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hey you believe what you want I guess. This is an alternative reality.

For the record it was Romo that got the OC taken away from Garrett. That was part of his new contract he signed in 13 and jerry said he wanted romo to be a peyton manning this was what he was talking about. Romo wanted input on the gameplan because he had issues with them and he took that upstairs...Romo gets new contract and then we had two new coordinators.

Stephen was all in on Garrett. I know it for a fact from a friend who works there and has been there awhile. The two them came up with a fake issue that demarcus ware would never be healthy enough to be a good player again and then pulled the plug on Romo. They made the organizations decisions and had to battle with jerry.

and as I have stated here many times before I could tell you about specifics of jerry in recent years concerning the draft that would show you at the end of the day Jerry still does what he wants. If I actually told the story of what went down people would understand exactly how foolish this organization is.

but hey you believe what you interpret to be true. Doesn't make a difference either way.

Wrong.

I'm don't want to get into the "I know somebody" issue because I posted about that a few years ago. Nobody is going to believe it.
- For your information only (I'm not going to debate it with anyone) my next door neighbor is a top 5 decision maker in the Cowboys Football Operations.

Jerry actually wanted an OC that would not just let Romo do whatever he wanted.
- Jerry likes to seek advice from people outside the organization.
- Jerry had talked to Parcells (and others) that told him Romo is changing the play whenever he wants and it's screwing up the offense.
- Parcells told Jerry that a Romo-friendly offense would be one where Romo was not doing his way (ad-lib) and that would have some structure.
- Bill Callahan was well known to be a hard-arse type coach. They made him OC in 2013 despite objections by Garrett.
- Animosity between Garrett and Callahan boiled over that season.
- The Jones agreed to let Garrett hire an OC with the stipulation that he can't be the OC himself.
- They hired Linehan in 2014.
- Callahan wanted to take a job as an OL coach elsewhere for 2014 but the Jones would not let him out of his contract.
- After 2014 Callahan made the lateral move to become the OL coach for the Skins all because he hated Garrett.