Time to learn some truth about the front office

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There’s been crazy and negative speculation on here as it regards the front office. Why do people here think:

1) Jerry is still the day to day GM?
2) The team has been bad at drafting?

Jerry is only involved in the big decisions. And even then it’s to give his stamp of approval. Stephen is the one actually making the day to day decisions and even then it’s guys like Will McClay for player scouting and others that do contracts doing most of the work. It wasn’t Stephen or Jerry that did Zekes contract. It was some other guy who I don’t recall his name.

As for drafting the Cowboys have been pretty good relative to the rest of the league. Yes thereve been misses but every team has them.

In the last 10 years the team has drafted:

Tyron
Frederick
Dez
Dak
Zach
DLaw
Byron
Zeke
CD
Diggs
Gallup
Pollard
LVE
Lee
Murray
Schultz
Dwayne Harris (still in the league 9 years later)
Crawford (still in league 8 years later)
Hitchens (starting for Chiefs)
Damien Wilson (starting for Chiefs)
Traded a 1 for Coop

Overall they’ve drafted 13 pro bowlers which is an average of 1.3 per draft and will probably be more in a few years with at least CD and Diggs.

If you’re going to average 1 pro bowler every draft and numerous starters that will play 8-9 years you’re doing your job. Find me how many pro bowlers over 10 years other teams have drafted. I’d imagine Dallas is in the top 10 in the league in that.

The player personnel has been pretty good. I’d say poor coaching on defense and bad luck is the reason the team hasn’t gotten to NFC title games the last 10 years. DeMarcos fumble in 2014 in GB and the 3rd down bomb from Rodgers in 2016.

Defensively the scheme has never complimented the offense and was a liability in the playoffs in 2018 and all season in 2019. This year it’s just all over the place between coaches and players.

If I had to grade the front office on player personnel, I’d say a B+ and that’s mainly due to handling of contracts not the talent they bring in. The biggest error they made was trying to use Jaylons one good season as leverage against Zeke in training camp in 2019. Shouldn’t have extended him. They also gave Marinelli way too much input in the draft. Cost them Taco and Trysten. But the Patriots miss with WRs in the 1st round all the time so mistakes happen everywhere. Their drafted WRs since like 2010 have 183 total catches in the league on a graphic Fox showed a few weeks ago.

Stop taking the easy road and saying the FO is trash. Because reality is their among the best in talent acquisition, probably below average on contracts and average in evaluating coaches. The rest of the league minus New England and Kansas City have all the same complaints about who wears their headset. Even Sean Payton went 7-9 3 straight years.
I have some issues with your viewpoint,
1. looking at your list of top players drafted most are offensive players ,they let hitchens and wilson go, lve is injured half the time, so is lee.
diggs it is a little early to say he was a good pick.
But overall they do ok in the draft recently, but the draft is not just about getting good players, it is about WHICH good players, and are they what you need
at the time. Timing is important.

The GM job involves many things and player aquisitions are FA and Draft, and they have mostly failed in FA.
Jerry maintains the title of GM so he has to take the blame even if others are involved. Thats why I say the jones boys, because him and his son are
like co gm's, jerry just wont give the title up even to his own son lol.

The problem I see with them is they dont ever make a plan and carry it out, it is always ad lib making decisions on a whim.

Last year is a key example, no way they went into the draft planning to draft a wr in round 1, but with cd there on a whim they took him.
No plan, just hey look, cd ! lets get him! That is how a teenager would draft lol.

So no plans, just on whims, fixing instead of building, and a bad culture leads to constant failures.
They are not the worst gm's in the league, but they have shown they are not capable of building a winner.
And winning is the goal, not a big list of pro bowl players.
And they hire the coaches, fired one loser and hired another loser lol. it never ends.

jnday

Reaction score
Well as I said to start, Jerry isn’t the day to day GM anymore.

The front office is not perfect but when it comes to getting good players in the building, they’re pretty good at that. It’s when you have to pay them that becomes the problem.
Many of the players listed are highly overvalued and overpaid.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Despite the parting of ways, Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones had nothing but fond sentiment for Garrett.

"Jason is a football guy. He wants to go coach. He's a great offensive mind. They got a good one in coach Garrett," Jones said Tuesday from the Senior Bowlin Mobile, Alabama, via The Athletic's Jon Machota. "He was nothing but a class act here. I know he'll certainly help the Giants get on the road to where they want to go."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This season clearly supported that this team had not been under achieving with Garrett.

Like most seasons when Garrett had a healthy starting QB his offense carried a less than average to horrid defense to the brink of the playoffs in a final play-in game or division titles on the brink of a championship appearance.

And until anyone else achieves as much success as Garrett did during the last 25 years under Jethro and his Son then he will be considered the best of the puppets in worst era of Cowboys history.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazingly we still have Cowboy fans who are expecting normalcy from our dysfunctional organization .

And still believe this most unusual situation can deliver championship caliber football team.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Look at our top defensive picks for the last 5 years.

Diggs - ok so far.
Hill, LVE, Taco, Jaylon - that's how you gut your defense. All your high picks don't pan out.
I have always considered that a pre understood baseline premise when responding, now I know why so many find my posts confusing at times...lol

MikeB80

Reaction score
Stephen did not like Garrett. He called him out in 2015. It is you who are inventing your own reality.

No you have it very wrong.

It was steven and Jason that formed the idea of breaking jerry of his ways of spending on older players and holding onto them for two long. They were the ones who wanted to go young and had to wait till wade was gone. Once he was and jason was the head coach the two of them started getting rid of veterans and no more big contracts were given to free agents sans brandon carr....and on carr...that was part of the change from stephen and jason also. Tom Ciskowski was in the role that Will McClay has now and he screwed up the draft with the whole room being confused and trading for claiborne. That was it for jason and stephen.

those two have been battling with jerry on decisions from day one. They were together on eliminating jerry's influence from the team. They still have not done it. Drafting zach martin sort of convinced jerry they knew what they were doing but he still has not backed off. Jerry hired monte kiffin.

i am not sure of the example you are using of stephen calling out jason in 2015 but he repeatedly propped him up as one of the best coaches in the league throughout 14 and 16 and that is because the organization was running on the philosophy the two of them had put together years before so compliments on garrett was a compliment to himself.

Stephen turning on garrett in 19 is exactly to be expected because stephen can not be fired and him breaking away from stuff that did not work is a pretty nice way of having people believe he was some sort of adversary to Garrett.

Stephen is a salesmen like his dad. He has said so much nonsense through the years that he is no more worth listening to than Jerry. Whether its his ridiculous comments about the team being so talent heavy that they are fielding trade calls every day in the summer 08, or his secret sauce comments in the offseason of 13 or his constant promoting of the Talent (once again) going into 19 and 20. Its an endless list.

Stephen and Garrett were the guys behind no more big free agency signings and trying to win with only homegrown players. This idea that stephen did not like Jason is 100% false.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Someone that works directly with Jerry in one of his other businesses.

interesting because I have friends that work there. One of them a few years ago had incredible access and the stuff I could tell you about a recent draft contradicts everything you have said about jerry. If this person you know is not working on the football side then they are speculating. I assure you Jerry's hand is heavy in personnel and hiring coaches.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, lemme ask a question here. You've got your choice of all the FO's in the NFL, at what point do you choose the Cowboys? Top 16?

The Cowboys are in the same company as the Browns and Lions and I would pick them above the Lions. The "truth" is in the record the last 25 years and it is among the worst so please tell me again how good these people are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
interesting because I have friends that work there. One of them a few years ago had incredible access and the stuff I could tell you about a recent draft contradicts everything you have said about jerry. If this person you know is not working on the football side then they are speculating. I assure you Jerry's hand is heavy in personnel and hiring coaches.
Why is that so hard for people to accept that they need to make up stories that Booger is not running his team?

I would think that if they truly believe the son is running the show, that would give them concern for the future. At least hold out hope that some Jones might be know how to build a football team.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have some issues with your viewpoint,
1. looking at your list of top players drafted most are offensive players ,they let hitchens and wilson go, lve is injured half the time, so is lee.
diggs it is a little early to say he was a good pick.
But overall they do ok in the draft recently, but the draft is not just about getting good players, it is about WHICH good players, and are they what you need
at the time. Timing is important.

The GM job involves many things and player aquisitions are FA and Draft, and they have mostly failed in FA.
Jerry maintains the title of GM so he has to take the blame even if others are involved. Thats why I say the jones boys, because him and his son are
like co gm's, jerry just wont give the title up even to his own son lol.

The problem I see with them is they dont ever make a plan and carry it out, it is always ad lib making decisions on a whim.

Last year is a key example, no way they went into the draft planning to draft a wr in round 1, but with cd there on a whim they took him.
No plan, just hey look, cd ! lets get him! That is how a teenager would draft lol.

So no plans, just on whims, fixing instead of building, and a bad culture leads to constant failures.
They are not the worst gm's in the league, but they have shown they are not capable of building a winner.
And winning is the goal, not a big list of pro bowl players.
And they hire the coaches, fired one loser and hired another loser lol. it never ends.
Well done.

FF. Whims. Falling for hoopla. Wing and a prayer.

I used to take issue when someone would proclaim "We will never win a super bowl w/ these guys in charge." I'm pretty much there myself now. Quite simply, they don't get it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen did not like Garrett. He called him out in 2015. It is you who are inventing your own reality.
The son is a slimeball of a friend. They became friends when Garrett first joined the team because of the daughter's background in the Ivy League, Garrett because something different of a football player to the family. The son became tight with him and was instrumental in keeping his name prevalent with his father as Garrett progressed elsewhere. The daughter bcame best friends with Garrett's wife.

When the need arose, Booger hired Garrett without a title and HC was still being considered and when it all started coming undone with Phillips, the son was the voice in Booger's ear about promoting Garrett as was always the plan. As Aikman predicted, Garrett would become a NFL HC but the son wanted a finer point on that and got no argument form his father.

The son began to turn on Garrett when he realized it might affect his standing with his father and after all, blood is much thicker than water but money is thicker than both. He's a dbag and I've known 4 people that had to be around him for business and none have anything good to say about him. They did say that him being around makes Booger look better by comparison as a person. He is every bit the lucky sperm.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dallas drafts players in the hope that all their college injuries were flukes.....just to realize they're truly injury prone once they play for Dallas. Sheesh

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas drafts players in the hope that all their college injuries were flukes.....just to realize they're truly injury prone once they play for Dallas. Sheesh
Yea.. you know the only sense I can make out of us taking these risk on injury history players is since our FO doesn’t have a keen eye for talent this is a means for them to draft some talent that normally wouldn’t be available to them. Same is true for off the field problem players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The son is a slimeball of a friend. They became friends when Garrett first joined the team because of the daughter's background in the Ivy League, Garrett because something different of a football player to the family. The son became tight with him and was instrumental in keeping his name prevalent with his father as Garrett progressed elsewhere. The daughter bcame best friends with Garrett's wife.

When the need arose, Booger hired Garrett without a title and HC was still being considered and when it all started coming undone with Phillips, the son was the voice in Booger's ear about promoting Garrett as was always the plan. As Aikman predicted, Garrett would become a NFL HC but the son wanted a finer point on that and got no argument form his father.

The son began to turn on Garrett when he realized it might affect his standing with his father and after all, blood is much thicker than water but money is thicker than both. He's a dbag and I've known 4 people that had to be around him for business and none have anything good to say about him. They did say that him being around makes Booger look better by comparison as a person. He is every bit the lucky sperm.
Yea, Until the results improve I’m not sure what we can credit Idiot Son .

If contract negotiations are his forte theres been been several questioning ones done in recent years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well done.

FF. Whims. Falling for hoopla. Wing and a prayer.

I used to take issue when someone would proclaim "We will never win a super bowl w/ these guys in charge." I'm pretty much there myself now. Quite simply, they don't get it.
I hate to use the “ never” word but based on what we’ve witnessed this era it’s highly unlikely barring something beyond luck.

Honestly I think we’ll need one of the most talented teams to overcome our dysfunctional organization much like was needed in 1995. Which will be almost impossible in Cap era.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yea.. you know the only sense I can make out of us taking these risk on injury history players is since our FO doesn’t have a keen eye for talent this is a means for them to draft some talent that normally wouldn’t be available to them. Same is true for off the field problem players.
That is exactly what I think.

kskboys

Reaction score
I hate to use the “ never” word but based on what we’ve witnessed this era it’s highly unlikely barring something beyond luck.

Honestly I think we’ll need one of the most talented teams to overcome our dysfunctional organization much like was needed in 1995. Which will be almost impossible in Cap era.
Me too.

Only way would be for Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum to give up control of personnel.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol

you think Steve wasn't a proponent of Garrett? You guys invent your own realities.

Stephen Jones was not running the football operations when Garrett was original promoted to Head Coach.

SJ was definitely not a fan of Garrett in Garrett's last few seasons.

It was SJ that kept pushing Garrett out of the Offensive Coordinator role.

It is definite that in the Feb/March timeframe of Linehan's last season that SJ gave Linehan complete control over offense but gave him a do or die mandate.
- SJ definitely told Garrett to give Linehan full control.
- The idea was that it would either improve the team or it would hasten Garrett's exit.

SJ said directly on Sports Talk Radio in March of 2019 that Garrett had not been good enough.

It is common in family owned businesses that when the son starts to take over, that he pushes out the people closest to the Father.
- Garrett was the last remaining person in football operations that had close ties to Jerry.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Since 1995, only 3 nfc teams have not advanced to the nfc championship game -- the Lions, Washington, and the Cowboys.

25 years.
Jerry sucks as a GM.
Stephen sucks as VP, and as the CEO.
They have produced nothing.

Jerry has been riding on Jimmy's coattails for the last 25 years.

The advocates for the Jones family cannot see the forest for the trees.

Jones has been the GM since 1989.