Time to put on our Big Boy Pants with Tank

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Stephen should have had most of this worked out before the season ended. We knew tank wanted max money. Stephen should have been in talks with the agent early enough that is they were this far apart stephen could seek a trade while free agency was early and teams desperate. I don't think it's smart to pay a guy over 20million a year who's had 2 back surgeries and has decided not to do the shoulder surgery 2 years in a row even though you see his production dip the last half of each year. he's scarred of the surgery, which makes me nervous too.

If tank earns 22-25/year how many games can he miss before you say the deal is a bust?
Ya know? I'm in the full belief that once JR. caught wind of what #90 expressed after signing franchise tag #1, he bowed- up,bristles- out& dug -in ,of a typical knuckleheaded "oh, really, we'll see about that pal, I'm in charge around here, you dictate squat"

waldoputty

Reaction score
Is that some kinda' ancient reverently held to bestowed knowledge or just some fresh knowledged view you've recently cabbaged up on during the last "happy hour" scheduled espionage meeting leader Xi ordered yer' attendance? ,,,PUTTYo_O

no, just people wanting to release dlaw from his tag are not thinking with their brain.
at least get a high draft pick for him.
but it is well known that uncertainty adds stress, and it takes experience to cope.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I prefer we recind the Franchise Tag..
take the $20 mil and go on and draft a DL at 58..

Comments.?

:starspin:

We should work trade deals. ASAP. Should have been doing that before we even franchised him.
Once we tagged him, we should have been encouraging him to find the best deals he could.
Especially when he upped his ask.

Let him and us know his value on the market. It's probably not as much as he thinks. And if he's such a hot property, let's trade him and get some of that.

conner01

Reaction score
So 20 million is fine but 22.5 is not?

Silly. That money is a wash when the cap is rising by 10 or more mill each year.
I don’t care if it’s 24
I just don’t want 85 million guaranteed

conner01

Reaction score
no, just people wanting to release dlaw from his tag are not thinking with their brain.
but it is well known that uncertainty adds stress, and it takes experience to cope.
You can’t trade him till he sign tag
What they should do is allow his agent to seek offers

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We should work trade deals. ASAP. Should have been doing that before we even franchised him.
Once we tagged him, we should have been encouraging him to find the best deals he could.

Let him and us know his value on the market. It's probably not as much as he thinks. And if he's such a hot property, let's trade him and get some of that.

Exactly. Not sure what we can get for him now. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd this year? If he doesn't sign we get a conditional 3rd at best.

exciter

Reaction score
What makes you think the today's Mack is "way better" than today's Lawrence?

I say they're closer than people think.
Mack is a once in a generation player that demands double and triple teams on every play and still produces. Lawrence is a very good strong side de who is usually neutralized fairly easily with doubles and chips. He needs to be able to at least beat Johnson and Moses one one one consistently before asking for 100m and that's something he hasn't been able to accomplish so far I'm his career!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Absolutely.

If he washes out..

that money is unretrievable.

And we all saw Ware have a bad shoulder that just got worst and worst and then his back..

and then he was gone and we ate his deal.

Took 2 years to come off the books.

You can not keep making the same mistakes and expect to win.

We also did the same thing with Ratliff a couple of years before Ware had his problems.

Paid out on a big contract and then the player got hurt and could or wouldn't play.

Had to eat that deal also.

So just watch what happens here, too.

Who can blame the Cowboys for being careful.

Been there..done that.

:omg:
Let’s be honest. We gave Ratliff that money and he ripped JJ off. He sat out injured and collected and went straight to another team and was heathy. He rode the injury and collected.

I don’t blame Ware for JJ making the mistake with the contract. If he was able he would have played his best and played with the injury but didn’t have the same impact.

But you are right, we are seeing shades of D-Law turning into Ware. Don’t give him all that money. He will laugh all the way to the bank. He won’t be the same beast in 3 years.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

This would be wise for us.

Let the rest of the teams determine his value.

We are being asked to buy a pig in a poke.

Few of us would buy a car without seeing if it drives.

Let's see the car drive..

Tank has no leverage as soon as the team allows him to go meet with teams and come up with his best deal.

He will be rushing back to Dallas to sign his Tag.

It's not even a question.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Copy bro! As when the winds of stress blow strong, you've the root system anchoring yer' casing-liner down, like that of a 300 year old yellow oak tree,,,:thumbup:

:)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly. Not sure what we can get for him now. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd this year? If he doesn't sign we get a conditional 3rd at best.

There's a wide variation on how much people think we can get for Lawrence. I've seen as high as a 1st and 3rd recently.

Probably could have gotten the most right around the start of free agency, when teams are looking to spend big. Now a lot of money has been spent. I'd think it's gone down.

But we spent a 1st on Cooper. And he wasn't considered quite as good as he in fact turned out. Shouldn't Lawrence bring in more? We got some financial discount on Cooper, but not much, and it came with a lack of an offseason with the team.

Or maybe we get the most for him *last* year. I would have liked to shop Lawrence last year. That 14.5 is his high water mark. He got 6.5 sacks in the first 3 games of 2017 before the league realized he wasn't the bum with 1 sack from 2016. Since he's been treated like an elite player, he hasn't put up elite numbers. He's very good, but not a top pass rusher worth a top contract. He wasn't going to match 2017. He didn't. He's never going to match it again. Should have sold high when he was all possibility and his arrow was up.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
No.

I do not want him on the team at any price.

Dude is a cancer and a wack job.

Lmao wut? He is loved by all his teammates and not even close to a cancer. But fans always say this when these players don't accept money they as fans want.

So because he is negotiating a contract, he is wack job? You fans are the worst. Trashing a guy with no basis because he won't sign a contract you want him to.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There's a wide variation on how much people think we can get for Lawrence. I've seen as high as a 1st and 3rd recently.

Probably could have gotten the most right around the start of free agency, when teams are looking to spend big. Now a lot of money has been spent. I'd think it's gone down.

But we spent a 1st on Cooper. And he wasn't considered quite as good as he in fact turned out. Shouldn't Lawrence bring in more? We got some financial discount on Cooper, but not much, and it came with a lack of an offseason with the team.

Or maybe we get the most for him *last* year. I would have liked to shop Lawrence last year. That 14.5 is his high water mark. He got 6.5 sacks in the first 3 games of 2017 before the league realized he wasn't the bum with 1 sack from 2016. Since he's been treated like an elite player, he hasn't put up elite numbers. He's very good, but not a top pass rusher worth a top contract. He wasn't going to match 2017. He didn't. He's never going to match it again. Should have sold high when he was all possibility and his arrow was up.

Better call the chiefs or get creative with the raiders and see what he can bring. Give tank and our 2nd for the raiders lowest 1st? Or maybe we can get something from the chiefs who are switching to a 4-3 alignment and let their 2 best defenders go.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I remember last season we saw what happened when we went into the season with bum WR's.
We got lucky that Gruden was dumb enough to trade us Cooper. He wasnt the plan. He was what we had to do because the plan of 'see what happens' failed.

That said..... I get where you are coming from. I am not comfortable paying a DE 22M per year when we have Dak, Zeke, B Jones, Cooper, Jaylon all coming due soon.
If Tank was the only high profile player we had to sign..

then pay him whatever.

But we have a completely different situation.

A lot to do and a window that closes with every player we lose.

Losing Tank will be a loss.

But so was Ware and he was a much better player than Tank is.

We have lost a starting slot receiver, starting LBer, and may lose Tank.

That is a lot to overcome.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Lmao wut? He is loved by all his teammates and not even close to a cancer. But fans always say this when these players don't accept money they as fans want.

So because he is negotiating a contract, he is wack job? You fans are the worst. Trashing a guy with no basis because he won't sign a contract you want him to.
Painting me with a black brush becuz you do not agree is a bit infantile.

I pointed out he has been suspended 4 games, he has been injured in the past and missed games..

now he is injured and telling everybody he will not have the surgery until he has a new deal..

and will not play for a $20 mil one year deal..

a $3 mil raise over 2018.

Seems like Tank is the problem..not me.

Proof

Reaction score

Silly. That money is a wash when the cap is rising by 10 or more mill each year.

If 22.5 is fine is 25? If 25 is fine is 30?

20 is extremely fair, it slots him right behind Mack and Donald. More isn’t negligible, especially over a 6 yr deal. Doable? Sure, but at some point there needs to be a hard line.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Someone said this morning actually multiple people said this morning he wants 28 mil.

aria

Reaction score
Well Fellers? Perhaps the "fire for effect" word of CANCER was inadvertently slammed home & popped off upon breach block lockup in the exasperated type of D.E. inducing foggy brain haze #90 is generating, for My RED BALL BROTHER is well aware the general purpose/ duel use verbiage to have been EXPRESS salvo'd off was " the present malfunctioning onboard casing-liner #90 is hereby deemed nonviable/ combat ineffective/unduly proving detrimental to the overall unit cohesion & focused readiness level currently required /immediately listed as G.I.A.(greed in action)
He’s allllllllllllllllllive! Glad to see ya back buddy :) Welfare check cancelled.