Timetable on negotiation with Prescott

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys and Prescott have kept the lines of communication open. No public demand have been made or timelines imposed .

The Cap maneuver to save 5 million in March was significant. It doesn’t sound like much but the club had to add two voidable years to his contract on top of the two voidable years that already existed. Prescott and his representatives had to agree to those years. Why would Prescott do that if he felt his time in Dallas was coming to an end?

While there are no fast and hard-line deadlines until he reaches free agency, there are some practical flash points along the way . One has already passed.

If the two sides were close a deal would have already been done which could have allowed the Cowboys more Cap space to retain more of their veterans and or activity in FA. Unless those releases and inactivity were planned. Since that has passed there’s really no urgency to get a deal done in the next few weeks.

The next flash point will be training camp and beginning of season. If a deal isn’t done by then the dynamics of these negotiations changes dramatically. At that point the assumption would be made that the time with Prescott would be nearing an end.

The deeper this goes into the season the less likely it’s resolved losing the good faith . And with the HC on final season of his deal the season could begin to unravel.

What are the financial ramifications if Prescott leaves to FA? His Cap hit for 2025 would be about 40 million. That’s the price of doing all of those restructures.

Most likely the Cowboys are far apart at this time in negotiations. Rumors are he’s looking for something near the 55 million per year Burrows recently signed and well above the 51 and 52 million Jackson, Herbert and Hurt signed. Which would be setting a new market price or close to it. Pretty typical in NFL as Caps continue rising each season.

IMO at this time Prescott has the leverage and our owners are trying to play public perception by waiting. Ultimately the Jones will have to cave in or face moving on. Nobody knows what will happen but it’s difficult imagining the Cowboys will want to risk this season unraveling. And since they’re going to be hung with such a huge Cap hit in 2025 as well it seems likely they’ll get an extension before season begins even if it’s only a couple years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s always the possibility Prescott is asking for too much closer to 60 mil per . We don’t really know as no offers or demands have been disclosed .

But we do know what the current market price is , 50-55 mil per. Which might be where the Cowboys are willing to pay.

The negotiations will heat up in training camp. I look for a last minute under the bell deal to be done. Otherwise the Jones are basically throwing this season out the window with their HC and QB heading out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro & Son are basically playing to public perception as they have no leverage at this time except for holding out.

Their best position if they intend on resigning him and caving in by waiting until last minute so it puts the public opinion back on Prescott as holding up the deal for maximum contract.

And all indications from both sides is their intent on resigning. These stalemates are very common leading up to the season.

And why all bets are off once the season begins as it would be more likely Prescott is done here.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There’s always the possibility Prescott is asking for too much closer to 60 mil per . We don’t really know as no offers or demands have been disclosed .

But we do know what the current market price is , 50-55 mil per. Which might be where the Cowboys are willing to pay.

The negotiations will heat up in training camp. I look for a last minute under the bell deal to be done. Otherwise the Jones are basically throwing this season out the window with their HC and QB heading out.
Well to be honest they pretty much already did that when they let 13 free agents walk and signed 1.

Extending Dak and adding 3 top 100 picks is not going to close the gap. We are looking at a 9-8 season at best.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well to be honest they pretty much already did that when they let 13 free agents walk and signed 1.

Extending Dak and adding 3 top 100 picks is not going to close the gap. We are looking at a 9-8 season at best.
Based on what I’ve read thus far locally is they plan on some of our prior draft picks who they’ve been developing to fill some of the holes as well.

It’s difficult to begin making any kind of predictions which would seem premature until we see how the roster shapes up in training camp and preseason.

Did we lose surmountable talent? Yes, what will the impacts be based on who is replacing them is yet to be seen. I prefer waiting on those analysis until the results begin coming in than spinning a crystal ball.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on what I’ve read thus far locally is they plan on some of our prior draft picks who they’ve been developing to fill some of the holes as well.

It’s difficult to begin making any kind of predictions which would seem premature until we see how the roster shapes up in training camp and preseason.

Did we lose surmountable talent? Yes, what will the impacts be based on who is replacing them is yet to be seen. I prefer waiting on those analysis until the results begin coming in than spinning a crystal ball.
Seems you're a one-man show in this thread so you keep posting and who knows just like folks who go on a hunger strike, Jerry might take pity on you and give Dak an extension. :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score

I agree 100%. Just seems like a very big hole to fill with only a few draft picks.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Cowboys and Prescott have kept the lines of communication open. No public demand have been made or timelines imposed .

The Cap maneuver to save 5 million in March was significant. It doesn’t sound like much but the club had to add two voidable years to his contract on top of the two voidable years that already existed. Prescott and his representatives had to agree to those years. Why would Prescott do that if he felt his time in Dallas was coming to an end?

While there are no fast and hard-line deadlines until he reaches free agency, there are some practical flash points along the way . One has already passed.

If the two sides were close a deal would have already been done which could have allowed the Cowboys more Cap space to retain more of their veterans and or activity in FA. Unless those releases and inactivity were planned. Since that has passed there’s really no urgency to get a deal done in the next few weeks.

The next flash point will be training camp and beginning of season. If a deal isn’t done by then the dynamics of these negotiations changes dramatically. At that point the assumption would be made that the time with Prescott would be nearing an end.

The deeper this goes into the season the less likely it’s resolved losing the good faith . And with the HC on final season of his deal the season could begin to unravel.

What are the financial ramifications if Prescott leaves to FA? His Cap hit for 2025 would be about 40 million. That’s the price of doing all of those restructures.

Most likely the Cowboys are far apart at this time in negotiations. Rumors are he’s looking for something near the 55 million per year Burrows recently signed and well above the 51 and 52 million Jackson, Herbert and Hurt signed. Which would be setting a new market price or close to it. Pretty typical in NFL as Caps continue rising each season.

IMO at this time Prescott has the leverage and our owners are trying to play public perception by waiting. Ultimately the Jones will have to cave in or face moving on. Nobody knows what will happen but it’s difficult imagining the Cowboys will want to risk this season unraveling. And since they’re going to be hung with such a huge Cap hit in 2025 as well it seems likely they’ll get an extension before season begins even if it’s only a couple years.
It might just come down to who gets his way between Father and Son.
Jerry still believes Prescott can help get the team over the hump (plus doesn't want to start over with a new QB) - versus Stephen who feels Prescott is not worth a 3rd contract at the amount the QB wants, and
therefore it is time to move on.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree 100%. Just seems like a very big hole to fill with only a few draft picks.
I think they expect to fill most of the holes with existing players. Not saying that will work but that it appears the plan.

If these players they’ve been developing are bust then it’s going to impact greatly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry still believes Prescott can help get the team over the hump (plus doesn't want to start over with a new QB) - versus Stephen who feels Prescott is not worth a 3rd contract at the amount the QB wants, and
Again , my objective here isn’t about my preference. Rather what I think will happen.

And I’ve said all along the timeline is for the beginning of the season. Once we cross that threshold with no deal then the unraveling of this team and season can begin.

At this time based on everything we’ve heard this far from both sides I certainly believe a deal will get done.

Motorola

Reaction score
Again , my objective here isn’t about my preference. Rather what I think will happen.

And I’ve said all along the timeline is for the beginning of the season. Once we cross that threshold with no deal then the unraveling of this team and season can begin.

At this time based on everything we’ve heard this far from both sides I certainly believe a deal will get done.
I wasn't stating a preference either.

Just giving my opinion that the delay in getting a deal done between the team and player may not be based on a timeline - but could be about the two principal decision makers disagreeing on what course to take.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wasn't stating a preference either.

Just giving my opinion that the delay in getting a deal done between the team and player may not be based on a timeline - but could be about the two principal decision makers disagreeing on what course to take.
Yes, of course .

But the bigger point is there is no sense of urgency at this time. There’s been no amounts or deals thrown out there publicly.

We don’t even know if they disagree on what course to take , only that they haven’t come together or even begin negotiating out a deal .

And why I believe the timeline is crucial. Once we near training camp and beginning of season I expect this to heat up.

Steve007

Reaction score

Next season has already unraveled.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Jerry has painted himself into a corner.
Hard to see a scenario where we don't massively overpay and hamstring the team for years.
Jerry is not gonna let Dak walk.

Steve007

Reaction score

Paying Dak more money wont make the Cowboys better. They couldn't win with Dak before the big contract. It would be stupid to pay Dak the most in the NFL when he chokes every time in the playoffs.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hope Stephen wins