Timetable on negotiation with Prescott

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Sure, but you have to admit this year is different.
I have alwasy felt the qb is the difference and we have a guy that had 36 tds and 9 picks. We still ahve lamb, Ferguson, Cooks and whomever we draft at RB cant be any worse than pollard played last year.

Our defense still has serious playmakers. Im not sweating winning 11 games.

Playoffs????? who knows

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I doubt they even let Dak practice.

He’s trade bait.

Is Dak even going to the Star?
I wish they could get something for him. Even if it’s 1 first and 1 second round pick. We’re paying him a salary anyway the next few years in dead cap. If he’s willing move out of this chaotic situation and let the team at least get a couple picks would be tremendous.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yea but that doesn’t mean they can’t come together .

Im not about taking preference but rather providing my overall insight.

I felt all along that the beginning of the season was the timetable for a deal to be done .
But, of the leverage is with Dak (as you pointed out in the OP), what should this inept FO do.
The FO is a mess (possibly as the short/mid term strategy, blew up with the GB capitulation), re-signing Dak just confirms its got no plan other than throwing money at their own (commercial entities).

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Negotiations are private. The media, local or otherwise, have no clue so everything you’ve read is pure speculation. It is in the Cowboys’ and France’s best interest that all discussions remain private. So you’re simply speculating as well. I would speculate that the Cowboys are preparing for life without Dak Prescott after this season. They would be foolish not to. Any team in the Cowboys’ circumstance regarding quarterbacks would be foolish not to develop a contingency plan. As of this moment Dallas has no quarterback under contract for 2025. That is a solid hint they’re looking at alternatives before signing anyone. Right now only four quarterbacks in the entire NFC East are under contract for 2025, Hurts, Pickett, McKee and D. Jones. Everything you’ve “read so far” is just the usual nonsense spewed by media in the months between the Super Bowl and the draft. Best to dismiss it.
Actually I’m echoing the speculation from our local beat writers who cover the Cowboys closely. While it’s always speculation it at least is from those closet to the situation with more insider access than most in the media.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But, of the leverage is with Dak (as you pointed out in the OP), what should this inept FO do.
The FO is a mess (possibly as the short/mid term strategy, blew up with the GB capitulation), re-signing Dak just confirms its got no plan other than throwing money at their own (commercial entities).
The question we have to probably ask is do we think our inept FO can find our next Franchise QB quickly. And how long will it take them to rebuild . Will our existing talent be wasted while looking for another QB.

Or are we better offer attempting to continue trying to build around a QB who can at least lead us to the playoffs despite the disappointing and frustrating endings. And keep hoping he might finally break thru while trying to surround him with a stronger supporting cast.

I have a hunch which direction our ownership will go.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Jerry is now in his 80s. Do think he is willing to just throw seasons away?
Yep, the face of disbelief at the end of the GB game was a sudden realisation that we aren't close to where we wanted to be. We weren't a tweak away from being serious contenders: rushing, run defense, a QB who struggles when behind and a Blueprint which good defenses can strangle any offense we care to show.
Indeed, Jerry is probably in panic mode, similar to Dak when facing a deficit....the problem is how problems get compounded when made in such circumstances.

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys and Prescott have kept the lines of communication open. No public demand have been made or timelines imposed .

The Cap maneuver to save 5 million in March was significant. It doesn’t sound like much but the club had to add two voidable years to his contract on top of the two voidable years that already existed. Prescott and his representatives had to agree to those years. Why would Prescott do that if he felt his time in Dallas was coming to an end?

While there are no fast and hard-line deadlines until he reaches free agency, there are some practical flash points along the way . One has already passed.

If the two sides were close a deal would have already been done which could have allowed the Cowboys more Cap space to retain more of their veterans and or activity in FA. Unless those releases and inactivity were planned. Since that has passed there’s really no urgency to get a deal done in the next few weeks.

The next flash point will be training camp and beginning of season. If a deal isn’t done by then the dynamics of these negotiations changes dramatically. At that point the assumption would be made that the time with Prescott would be nearing an end.

The deeper this goes into the season the less likely it’s resolved losing the good faith . And with the HC on final season of his deal the season could begin to unravel.

What are the financial ramifications if Prescott leaves to FA? His Cap hit for 2025 would be about 40 million. That’s the price of doing all of those restructures.

Most likely the Cowboys are far apart at this time in negotiations. Rumors are he’s looking for something near the 55 million per year Burrows recently signed and well above the 51 and 52 million Jackson, Herbert and Hurt signed. Which would be setting a new market price or close to it. Pretty typical in NFL as Caps continue rising each season.

IMO at this time Prescott has the leverage and our owners are trying to play public perception by waiting. Ultimately the Jones will have to cave in or face moving on. Nobody knows what will happen but it’s difficult imagining the Cowboys will want to risk this season unraveling. And since they’re going to be hung with such a huge Cap hit in 2025 as well it seems likely they’ll get an extension before season begins even if it’s only a couple years.
This is my problem with Dak. I'm not paying top money for a QB that is not elite. I wouldn't give him Burrow money. What did Rush go, 5-1? Dallas can probably win 10-11 games with Rush or Mayfield and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. Dallas doesn't need to pay 55M a year to do that. Jerry is probably weighing the loss in jersey sales to what he has to pay Dak for the same results.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The question we have to probably ask is do we think our inept FO can find our next Franchise QB quickly. And how long will it take them to rebuild . Will our existing talent be wasted while looking for another QB.

Or are we better offer attempting to continue trying to build around a QB who can at least lead us to the playoffs despite the disappointing and frustrating endings. And keep hoping he might finally break thru while trying to surround him with a stronger supporting cast.

I have a hunch which direction our ownership will go.
I'd rather turn it around and focus, as we did in 2016, around the O-Line and running game which takes pressure and helps the QB. A lot of finding a franchise QB is the offense into which he's thrust into.
The book has been written on Dak, the league knows where he struggles....there's no point in hoping that he'll overcome his struggles.
Indeed, we can't afford the "strong supporting cast" when he's accounting for 20%+ of the CAP.

Flamma

Reaction score
They might as well just let Dak go. Why do you want to pay 50-60 million for just making the playoffs? No one is saying you have to go crazy in FA every year. But when you have a season like 2014 or 2016, that is the perfect opportunity to try to get over the top. But they did nothing.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually I’m echoing the speculation from our local beat writers who cover the Cowboys closely. While it’s always speculation it at least is from those closet to the situation with more insider access than most in the media.
You've got as much inside info as I do or any Cowboy fan.
Before you know it, you will tell us you are Jerry's lost long son and speak to him regularly.
DAK IS ROAD-KILL.............LIVE IT BABY and remember he had tons of chances and fell flat on his Deer in the Headlights @@@!!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys and Prescott have kept the lines of communication open. No public demand have been made or timelines imposed .

The Cap maneuver to save 5 million in March was significant. It doesn’t sound like much but the club had to add two voidable years to his contract on top of the two voidable years that already existed. Prescott and his representatives had to agree to those years. Why would Prescott do that if he felt his time in Dallas was coming to an end?

While there are no fast and hard-line deadlines until he reaches free agency, there are some practical flash points along the way . One has already passed.

If the two sides were close a deal would have already been done which could have allowed the Cowboys more Cap space to retain more of their veterans and or activity in FA. Unless those releases and inactivity were planned. Since that has passed there’s really no urgency to get a deal done in the next few weeks.

The next flash point will be training camp and beginning of season. If a deal isn’t done by then the dynamics of these negotiations changes dramatically. At that point the assumption would be made that the time with Prescott would be nearing an end.

The deeper this goes into the season the less likely it’s resolved losing the good faith . And with the HC on final season of his deal the season could begin to unravel.

What are the financial ramifications if Prescott leaves to FA? His Cap hit for 2025 would be about 40 million. That’s the price of doing all of those restructures.

Most likely the Cowboys are far apart at this time in negotiations. Rumors are he’s looking for something near the 55 million per year Burrows recently signed and well above the 51 and 52 million Jackson, Herbert and Hurt signed. Which would be setting a new market price or close to it. Pretty typical in NFL as Caps continue rising each season.

IMO at this time Prescott has the leverage and our owners are trying to play public perception by waiting. Ultimately the Jones will have to cave in or face moving on. Nobody knows what will happen but it’s difficult imagining the Cowboys will want to risk this season unraveling. And since they’re going to be hung with such a huge Cap hit in 2025 as well it seems likely they’ll get an extension before season begins even if it’s only a couple years.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and own interpretation of the facts. Jerry has done some stupid things before, so I will not say that Jerry absolutely will not cave in and back up the Brinks truck for Dak. But I don’t “think” that will happen.

1. I think the luster has worn off of Dak. Dak has pretty consistently wilted against the better teams and in the playoffs. The Dak Fan Bois will ignore this but I don’t think Jerry will. This is the bone of contention that has kept Jerry from backing up the Brinks truck for Dak so far.

2. Jerry bet and lost last time Dak had a contract come up for renewal. I don’t think that even Jerry would make that same mistake twice.

3. Cap boy has more say than ever before and he is much more willing to let guys walk than Jerry was.

4. If we planned on keeping Dak around we would have freed up cap and been more active in free agency.

5. I think Dak’s greed (along with his agent) have/will sour the Cowboys on bringing Dak back on a new deal.

6. I think a trade is being explored. Dak will get paid by his new team and waive the no trade clause. I think this is the most reasonable interpretation of the known facts.

7. The Lance trade was the first bread crumb to fall that the Cowboys saw Dak’s demands on the horizon and were of the opinion that they would not be willing to pay Dak.

8. Whether you move on from Dak, or pay Dak $60m per year, either path will prevent you from winning a SB next year. But at least not paying Dak gives you options going forward.

9. Everything the Cowboys have done SO FAR indicates that they are willing to walk away from Dak. Why shouldn’t we believe them? I think if Jerry was going to extend Dak he would have already done so.

Bagman

Reaction score
Well to be honest they pretty much already did that when they let 13 free agents walk and signed 1.

Extending Dak and adding 3 top 100 picks is not going to close the gap. We are looking at a 9-8 season at best.
Exactly !!! The time to improve the team began over a month ago and we've lost a huge chunk of depth and chemistry. It should NEVER be about resigning one guy, regardless of who it is. We've taken 2-3 steps back and need a miracle just to get back to last years level. Which yielded a first round blowout loss. Shouldn't the goal be to get BETTER every year?

Sandyf

Reaction score
Lots and lots of theory about Dak and the Jones boys. It is actually the same thing every year over and over.

I think as fans most of us bought into the Jerry "all in" statement. Flash, Jerry is all in every year just not the way fans perceive all in. It is a business and the Jones are about making money 1st, winning 2nd, and getting everyone talking about the Cowboys each and everyday.

Their free agency situation is the same every year and yet as fans we buy into the hype that they are going to spend big and yet again it does not happen but the media and fans are constantly talking about what the Cowboys should do, will do, could do and yet never do.

Fans always worry about the cap and the implications because it does matter but the cap always goes up and it will again next year. The cap still hasn't really introduced the gambling money into the cap and when it does, it is really going to rise. The cap is expected to rise AT LEAST $20 million a year the next 3 years, and that would make it over $300 million!

One thing is certain with Jerry and Stephen is that something is cooking and most likely will be announced at a press conference in the very near future that most likely will be about Prescott, Lamb and Parsons contract status.

For now, we will just have to live with the rumors mostly from the media about who they will likely pick in the draft, or probably sign as a free agent or who is going to be traded and believe it or not it will be just smoke to get readers and rile up the fan base.

It is the Jerry way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and own interpretation of the facts. Jerry has done some stupid things before, so I will not say that Jerry absolutely will not cave in and back up the Brinks truck for Dak. But I don’t “think” that will happen.

1. I think the luster has worn off of Dak. Dak has pretty consistently wilted against the better teams and in the playoffs. The Dak Fan Bois will ignore this but I don’t think Jerry will. This is the bone of contention that has kept Jerry from backing up the Brinks truck for Dak so far.

2. Jerry bet and lost last time Dak had a contract come up for renewal. I don’t think that even Jerry would make that same mistake twice.

3. Cap boy has more say than ever before and he is much more willing to let guys walk than Jerry was.

4. If we planned on keeping Dak around we would have freed up cap and been more active in free agency.

5. I think Dak’s greed (along with his agent) have/will sour the Cowboys on bringing Dak back on a new deal.

6. I think a trade is being explored. Dak will get paid by his new team and waive the no trade clause. I think this is the most reasonable interpretation of the known facts.

7. The Lance trade was the first bread crumb to fall that the Cowboys saw Dak’s demands on the horizon and were of the opinion that they would not be willing to pay Dak.

8. Whether you move on from Dak, or pay Dak $60m per year, either path will prevent you from winning a SB next year. But at least not paying Dak gives you options going forward.

9. Everything the Cowboys have done SO FAR indicates that they are willing to walk away from Dak. Why shouldn’t we believe them? I think if Jerry was going to extend Dak he would have already done so.
So if Jethro ends up resigning Dak despite your beliefs what will that tell you?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

are they stuck with a large cap number if he stays or goes??