Tip your waiters!!!!

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
Faerluna;2815818 said:
That was always the case at my jobs, too. We were all friends outside of work and we would never cheat each other. We'd all be buying each other drinks after work anyway.

Well that's sounds all goody-goody, 1950's Happy Days-like and all.

Everyone having each others back, all "Friends-like", a cabal of best-buddies who are friends for life..............

But in the real world, any time money pass's hands theirs usually trouble. Also, who ever heard of such a work place where it was like the Brady Bunch you described? The work-place is a petri dish for all kinds of drama and back-stabbing and soap opera in every other case but yours it seems.

I ain't buyin' it. ESPECIALLY in the food and beverage industry! People are people are people. Whether in a law office, the local grade school, the police department, Radio Shack, the super market, etc...............where ever. Outside of the family, the workplace is right up there as a source of personality conflicts and sleepless nights for ALL people.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lewpac;2815831 said:

Everyone having each others back, all "Friends-like", a cabal of best-buddies who are friends for life..............

But in the real world, any time money pass's hands theirs usually trouble. Also, who ever heard of such a work place where it was like the Brady Bunch you described? The work-place is a petri dish for all kinds of drama and back-stabbing and soap opera in every other case but yours it seems.

I ain't buyin' it. ESPECIALLY in the food and beverage industry! People are people are people. Whether in a law office, the local grade school, the police department, Radio Shack, the super market, etc...............where ever. Outside of the family, the workplace is right up there as a source of personality conflicts and sleepless nights for ALL people.
For whatever reason, I don't find it at all surprising you have "personality conflicts" with coworkers.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
lewpac;2815799 said:
Bull****.....................

This thread is about a server *****ing about not getting tipped. But Bartenders are supposed spend their lives making sure that the "precious little waiter" gets his prima-donna needs met?

Unless you've been in the biz, you'll never understand that bartenders and servers are not "buddies". More often than not, it's a "mongoose vs. snake" thing. Waiters think that the sole intent and life purpose of a bartender is to make sure they get their drinks to make THEIR TIPS. They're wrong. Bartenders are not busboys, hostess's, expediters, mangers, or valet parkers. Bartenders are TIPPED employees as much so, if not moreso than servers. But too many servers think that the only function a bartender is good for is to GET THEM THEIR drink orders so THEY can look good and make a buck.

Also, any bartender who is there to "pick up chicks" will soon be out of a job. Customers at a bar are a "captive audience". They aren't going anywhere. It would be stupid to hit on chicks over a bar, as you'll get a rap and a bad name in short order and be out of a job.

However, the bartender has sort of a "star" quality to it. He's center stage. It's always "showtime" behind a bar if you understand the pulpit you have. You can really put on a show if you want to. So, you don't need to "hit" on girls. It comes naturally, by osmosis if you're being cool, entertaining, and doing your job.

I'm not talking about bar tending at the corner "Jims Bar" here. I'm talking about the "Cocktail" stuff, which is all I did for a decade. Me and a hundred other guys. If you're good at it, and sling some wicked Whiskey with style, you don't have to worry about getting in a girls pants. They just pull them down for you.

Anyway, the bar tender runs the show. Everyone else's evening in the joint revolves around the bar tender. Because everyone is there for a good time, and that usually involves libations. If the bar tender is having an off night, everyone else is going to have an off night.

Dude, I may not be in the biz but I have 20+ years under my belt understanding bartenders. You play like you've got it tough but half of you can't even make a decent martini. Most of you are total posers who can do little but pull beer.

ethiostar

Reaction score
lewpac;2815831 said:

Maybe it has more to do with your sunny personality.

Based on your posting history, this is your Modus operandi. You might say something reasonable every once in a while but sooner or later you star foaming at the mouth and start overgeneralizing and patronizing or flat out insulting everyone who doesn't see the world in such a narrow minded and bitter lens.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2815834 said:
For whatever reason, I don't find it at all surprising you have "personality conflicts" with coworkers.

I don't have "co-workers". I have employees. I've had employees for 23 years now, so I can't relate to your recent dig.

But, when I HAD co-workers, as a bartender, there were never any personality conflicts. There's no "personality conflicts" when you're the dominating personality. Anyone who messed around was corrected in short order and made to "see the light". If you give me any guff, you ain't getting drinks. Simple enough? Get the picture?

Good. Now go wait on your little tables and when you come for your drinks, come with RESPECT.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
ethiostar;2815838 said:
Maybe it has more to do with your sunny personality.

Based on your posting history, this is your Modus operandi. You might say something reasonable every once in a while but sooner or later you star foaming at the mouth and start overgeneralizing and patronizing or flat out insulting everyone who doesn't see the world in such a narrow minded and bitter lens.

Yeah, but that's a good thing. I reel you in with what you need to hear, and then you get a healthy dose of truth. BTY, I don't "star foaming", I START foaming, just for the record.

I'm also flattered that my posting history has gotten enough of your attention to monitor it. Thank you...................

ethiostar

Reaction score
lewpac;2815843 said:
Yeah, but that's a good thing. I reel you in with what you need to hear, and then you get a healthy dose of truth. BTY, I don't "star foaming", I START foaming, just for the record.

I'm also flattered that my posting history has gotten enough of your attention to monitor it. Thank you...................

I think you meant to say BTW there Einstein. :laugh2:

You can RESTAR foaming again sunshine.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lewpac;2815840 said:
I don't have "co-workers". I have employees. I've had employees for 23 years now, so I can't relate to your recent dig.

But, when I HAD co-workers, as a bartender, there were never any personality conflicts. There's no "personality conflicts" when you're the dominating personality. Anyone who messed around was corrected in short order and made to "see the light". If you give me any guff, you ain't getting drinks. Simple enough? Get the picture?

Good. Now go wait on your little tables and when you come for your drinks, come with RESPECT.
Don't worry, I've never worked for a restaurant in any fashion. Have fun working for singles.

sacase

Reaction score
lewpac;2815799 said:
Bull****.....................

This thread is about a server *****ing about not getting tipped. But Bartenders are supposed spend their lives making sure that the "precious little waiter" gets his prima-donna needs met?

Unless you've been in the biz, you'll never understand that bartenders and servers are not "buddies". More often than not, it's a "mongoose vs. snake" thing. Waiters think that the sole intent and life purpose of a bartender is to make sure they get their drinks to make THEIR TIPS. They're wrong. Bartenders are not busboys, hostess's, expediters, mangers, or valet parkers. Bartenders are TIPPED employees as much so, if not moreso than servers. But too many servers think that the only function a bartender is good for is to GET THEM THEIR drink orders so THEY can look good and make a buck.

Also, any bartender who is there to "pick up chicks" will soon be out of a job. Customers at a bar are a "captive audience". They aren't going anywhere. It would be stupid to hit on chicks over a bar, as you'll get a rap and a bad name in short order and be out of a job.

However, the bartender has sort of a "star" quality to it. He's center stage. It's always "showtime" behind a bar if you understand the pulpit you have. You can really put on a show if you want to. So, you don't need to "hit" on girls. It comes naturally, by osmosis if you're being cool, entertaining, and doing your job.

I'm not talking about bar tending at the corner "Jims Bar" here. I'm talking about the "Cocktail" stuff, which is all I did for a decade. Me and a hundred other guys. If you're good at it, and sling some wicked Whiskey with style, you don't have to worry about getting in a girls pants. They just pull them down for you.

Anyway, the bar tender runs the show. Everyone else's evening in the joint revolves around the bar tender. Because everyone is there for a good time, and that usually involves libations. If the bar tender is having an off night, everyone else is going to have an off night.

Dude you watch to many movies.......lol

You had better mix my drink right or I will send it back until you do. :D

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
I don't get where the "foaming" accusation and dig is coming from.

I'm just telling you my experiences in the industry, and I'm of no delicate mind that it's the truth. I mean, I lived it. I don't hear anyone lambasting or bemoaning other peoples experiences. It is what it is. I had a great time and don't regret a minute of it, but the truth is the truth.

And, c'mon, what's so hard to digest? We're talking alcohol and night-time and a lot of people in these places looking to get laid. What's so hard to understand? And what divorces the workers in such an environment from being "people" given to the same temptations of the customers?

When I was first offered a bartending job, I was 17 and a senior in HS. I'll never forget my father telling me "Son, be careful. Think about this. It's not a pleasant world, a world of booze and drugs and women and fast living". He was right. I'd say about 90% of EVERY person I met in the industry, customers, co-workers, managers, owners, etc..........everyone had an angle, a gig, a game, a trick, some con or other.

But THAT'S the industry, the liquor industry. I know this thread is about "tips" and servers, but the bartender thing is a part of it. And when you're talking about bartending, there's no getting around the REASON for BAR-tenders! NO BOOZE - NO BARTENDERS!!!!

And there's no good end to the booze discussion. It usually ends in something negative. So, as a bartender, your JOB revolves around boozing it up, and your gonna' see more than your fair share of the dark side of human nature. It's just part of the job description. If you're not up to it, than pick another job.

Girls..........Most girls, working or not, in a bar at 12:30 at night, are not girl-scouts. They're not going to church the next morning. So I'm the bad guy and "generalizing" for recognizing such a thing, huh? C'mon! Open your eyes! So, I simply recognized the truth for what it was and played my bestest hands. Sue me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lewpac;2815854 said:

I'm just telling you my experiences in the industry, and I'm of no delicate mind that it's the truth. I mean, I lived it. I don't hear anyone lambasting or bemoaning other peoples experiences. It is what it is. I had a great time and don't regret a minute of it, but the truth is the truth.

And, c'mon, what's so hard to digest? We're talking alcohol and night-time and a lot of people in these places looking to get laid. What's so hard to understand? And what divorces the workers in such an environment from being "people" given to the same temptations of the customers?

When I was first offered a bartending job, I was 17 and a senior in HS. I'll never forget my father telling me "Son, be careful. Think about this. It's not a pleasant world, a world of booze and drugs and women and fast living". He was right. I'd say about 90% of EVERY person I met in the industry, customers, co-workers, managers, owners, etc..........everyone had an angle, a gig, a game, a trick, some con or other.

But THAT'S the industry, the liquor industry. I know this thread is about "tips" and servers, but the bartender thing is a part of it. And when you're talking about bartending, there's no getting around the REASON for BAR-tenders! NO BOOZE - NO BARTENDERS!!!!

And there's no good end to the booze discussion. It usually ends in something negative. So, as a bartender, your JOB revolves around boozing it up, and your gonna' see more than your fair share of the dark side of human nature. It's just part of the job description. If you're not up to it, than pick another job.

Girls..........Most girls, working or not, in a bar at 12:30 at night, are not girl-scouts. They're not going to church the next morning. So I'm the bad guy and "generalizing" for recognizing such a thing, huh? C'mon! Open your eyes! So, I simply recognized the truth for what it was and played my bestest hands. Sue me.
You lived it, sure you did. Perhaps as a bartender in a MMORPG.

computer%20nerd%20%2B%20Limpet%202[1].JPG

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
No one knows what your "MMO..." whatever means.

Whatever. You are now the poster boy for "unless you've been in the biz" stuff. PM me if you're interested in getting any bartender attention you so crave. 'Till then, go back to your Schlitz and your union job and being ignored........

Unless, of course, you've never been around girls at 12:30 am.

ethiostar

Reaction score
lewpac;2815831 said:

But in the real world, ......bla bla bla bla ...............

I ain't buyin' it. .....bla bla bla .................

lewpac;2815854 said:

:rolleyes:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lewpac;2815857 said:
No one knows what your "MMO..." whatever means.

Whatever. You are now the poster boy for "unless you've been in the biz" stuff. PM me if you're interested in getting any bartender attention you so crave. 'Till then, go back to your Schlitz and your union job and being ignored........

Unless, of course, you've never been around girls at 12:30 am.
Ironically, my "union" is called a bar.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2815859 said:
Ironically, my "union" is called a bar.

Then it's clear that you and Ethio are a couple of uneducated servers.

Yeah, I bartended in REAL clubs when I was a kid. But you guys are condemned to a life-time of schleping food and drink in front of people.

News Flash: Any "job" that is what EVERYONE HAS TO DO every day is a looser job. Washing cars, laundry, cleaning houses, dealing food and drink, etc......EVERYONE HAS TO DO THAT AT HOME every day. EVERYONE cleans their toilet, does laundry, makes food, drinks liquids, cuts grass, washes their car, etc.........anything that EVERYONE DOES anyway, and YOU DO IT for a living, you've mis-managed enough of your life that your NOW providing Flintstone services.

You may now call me a name................

Springs1

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2814500 said:
Do you understand the basics here? Steaks are cooked individually. Fries are not, they are cooked in batches, likely 5 or so servings at a time. Fries are "scooped" out all at once because the basket is designed for that, not to bring out part of the basket for some picky broad who just wants an excuse to complain and make the staff and her husband miserable.

First off, without customers, a restaurant would not be in business.

Secondly, WHY the other customer's orders matter more than mine if mine was ORDERED BEFORE theirs?

Thirdly, it's not an excuse to complain. I DO NOT LIKE TO EAT OVERDONE FRIES!! It's just doesn't taste good at ALL to me. I end up wanting to send them back if they are overdone due to not ordering them lightly cooked, so I'd rather order it the way I like it than to chance it. Sometimes when I have chanced it, I was disappointed in the taste of the fries, because they were a bit overdone. I like fries less cooked(not raw), but lesser cooked than regularly done fries.

Forthly, it doesn't matter if they are cooked in batches. So how I want my order doesn't matter even though I am **PAYING** to get things done this way?

Fifthly, as I said before, steaks may be cooked individually, but if there isn't enough room to put another steak on the grill(5 people want well done steaks), so the 6th person that wants their steak medium rare gets to wait to get theirs on the grill, don't you SEE that there is NO DIFFERENCE HERE? Steaks may be cooked individually, but if Jane Doe's order is next, which there is no room to start cooking the steak, that makes JANE DOE WAIT LONGER DUE TO *PICKY CUSTOMERS THAT WANT THEIR STEAKS WELL DONE*!! THAT'S THE TRUTH!! So WHY you can't see that this is the SAME as fries and if anything, as I said, with fries, you can make a huge batch and take out some EARLY. WHY you can't except that I don't know?

How totally self centered you must be to think you ordered the fries first. Other folks ordered fries before you and after you. What if all of them wanted their fries cooked normally? You expect their orders to be screwed because you want something different? Selfish is what you are.

So other people can be happy with their taste of their fries, but I can't? It's not self-centered, it's taking turns. For instance, if Jane Doe orders her fries normally, but I had ordered before her, shouldn't she wait longer, because it's FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED? It's just like when you are in a line at McDonald's, the first person has ordered 2 combos and the second person in line only wants a coke, the first person's combos get to be fixed BEFORE taking the second person's order or even fixing it. It's called **WAITING YOUR TURN**!! WHY do you seem to think I am self-centered and selfish when I am willing to WAIT MY TURN?

WHY should it matter if fries are cooked in batches, especially when fries don't take very long to cook? If you put a batch of fries for 2 other people, plus me, the cook can take some out earlier if they want to for me and the other 2 people's fries can cook longer. That's all it takes.

What if all of them wanted their fries cooked normally?

So I should ONLY consider everyone else's feelings, time, and hungry, but the heck with mine, right? Sorry, but I am JUST AS IMPORTANT as they are. If they ordered before me, I should wait the longest. If I ordered before them, they should wait the longest. It's only fair.

It doesn't matter what other customers want considering they don't give a rat's *** about what I want, now do they? They don't think of my feelings or hunger or time, so WHY should I consider theirs?

You expect their orders to be screwed because you want something different?

NO, I expect them to wait their TURN as they should. Who's next is WHO's next, it's only fair. If I was after some customers that ordered fries the regular way, then I would have to wait longer. It's only fair.

I don't expect someone else's order to get screwed, because just as other customer's order is their only concerned, so is mine. If others that I don't know personally don't care about me being happy with the TASTE of my food, WHY should I care about them? WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!!

Their orders wouldn't get screwed up if my order was after theirs, now would they? My fries could be taken out before theirs. You just lift the fryer up. I have cooked fries before at the donut shop years ago. It's not that much different than a real restaurant on how they cook fries. You can get a thong or something to take some out earlier. WHY can't you see that? I also order my fries with no salt as well, because they put too much salt. I don't even add salt at the table, because I eat enough salt already.

My mom and I even at fast food restaurants even ask for the fries to be cooked with no salt. They do it. So everyone else should be happy, but I can't? That's being SELFISH to only think of other people only and not EVERY SINGLE CUSTOMER, including yourself. So I can't be happy, but they can? You are one piece of work.

It doesn't matter if they are cooked in batches, because those customers don't care if I am happy, so WHY should I care if they are? It's true, do you honestly think other customers care about another in a restaurant that don't know each other? OF COURSE NOT, NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND IS CARING OR PAYING ATTENTION to most other customers.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lewpac;2815868 said:
Then it's clear that you and Ethio are a couple of uneducated servers.

Yeah, I bartended in REAL clubs when I was a kid. But you guys are condemned to a life-time of schleping food and drink in front of people.

News Flash: Any "job" that is what EVERYONE HAS TO DO every day is a looser job. Washing cars, laundry, cleaning houses, dealing food and drink, etc......EVERYONE HAS TO DO THAT AT HOME every day. EVERYONE cleans their toilet, does laundry, makes food, drinks liquids, cuts grass, washes their car, etc.........anything that EVERYONE DOES anyway, and YOU DO IT for a living, you've mis-managed enough of your life that your NOW providing Flintstone services.

You may now call me a name................
I would respond, but I have no idea what you said.