Tipping your waitress?

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Everybody remembers the scene in Resevoir Dogs about tipping. If you haven't seen it yet then I implore you to watch it.

Now, I have to say I am inclined to agree with Mr.Pink. I do not think a tip should be expected. It is something that is earned and is an extra incentive for your server to be kind and courteous.

Just for the record, I tip about 85% of the time. Though I should say I rarely try new places so most of my servers are acquired friends.

What do you think?

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
This topic was brought up some time ago and the arguments in that thread were epic for it's supporters and detractors. Mr. Pink did weigh heavily in that thread too. People hold strong opinions in regard to tipping. :laugh2: .

I have no problem with tipping, I just don't like that it's become a given that's not predicated on service for some and they just expect it.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
vta;4559173 said:
This topic was brought up some time ago and the arguments in that thread were epic for it's supporters and detractors. Mr. Pink did weigh heavily in that thread too. People hold strong opinions in regard to tipping. :laugh2: .

I have no problem with tipping, I just don't like that it's become a given that's not predicated on service for some and they just expect it.

My mistake, I just came across the clip and tought I should give it a stab.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Afigueroa22;4559177 said:
My mistake, I just came across the clip and tought I should give it a stab.

Naw I wasn't ragging on you about the topic, I just remember how strongly someone in that thread felt about tipping. Almost neurotic about it.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
My rule of thumb on tipping always has been if the bill is 20.00 or less I tip at least 50%. If it is over that then it's 40-50%.

It's kinda like the 3rd Rock from the Sun video. I let the server start there and work their way down. If I get exceptional service I give more. But I NEVER tip less than 15% unless there is something terribly wrong the server did.

JBS

Reaction score
Tipping 85% of the time is absolutely pathetic

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4559205 said:

Do mean that 85% of the time the wait-person isn't worth it?

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Afigueroa22;4559171 said:
Everybody remembers the scene in Resevoir Dogs about tipping. If you haven't seen it yet then I implore you to watch it.

Now, I have to say I am inclined to agree with Mr.Pink. I do not think a tip should be expected. It is something that is earned and is an extra incentive for your server to be kind and courteous.

Just for the record, I tip about 85% of the time. Though I should say I rarely try new places so most of my servers are acquired friends.

What do you think?

Tips are expected because it's the only money your server makes. Not tipping a server is the equivalent of your boss coming up to you and saying "I'm not paying you for today".

Servers make less than minimum wage in hourly pay. The taxes on the tips they make are then taken out of the hourly wage pay. My 2 week paycheck is roughly 100-150$. 300$ a month doesn't pay for.. anything really.

To top it off, most restaurants require servers to "Tip out" based on their sales. So they lose a % of their sales out of their tips. This is generally 3-5% of their sales. If you have a 100$ check, and you tip me 2$, you are quite literally taking 2$ out of my pocket as I still have to give 4% of that check to the restaurant.

If servers made a regular hourly wage, then I would agree with the sentiment of it shouldn't be expected, but that's just not how it works.

Tipping less for poor service is fine, tipping nothing should almost never happen. If you are tipping nothing, it should pretty much mean the server did things that should get him fired instantly.

Anyhow, I INVOKE THE RIGHT OF RANCH DRESSING!

SUMMON THE CRAZY RANCH LADY!!!!!!!!!!!! COME FORTH!

The last thread got so epic.

JBS

Reaction score
vta;4559214 said:
Do mean that 85% of the time the wait-person isn't worth it?

I've never left no tip

Never

So I tip 100% of the time

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4559205 said:

Criticizing me off the bat renders your opinion useless. Why can't people attack the topic, not the person?

JBS

Reaction score
Afigueroa22;4559263 said:
Criticizing me off the bat renders your opinion useless. Why can't people attack the topic, not the person?

You're a cheap *** dude

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4559218 said:
I've never left no tip

Never

So I tip 100% of the time

You tip **** waiters? I haven't left a tip on two occasions. The waiters were so terrible both times.....they didn't deserve tips.

JBS

Reaction score
Rynie;4559276 said:
You tip **** waiters? I haven't left a tip on two occasions. The waiters were so terrible both times.....they didn't deserve tips.

I have never had an experience where a server deserved nothing..ever

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
The IRS taxes waitstaff based on their total sales on a shift/day so not leaving a tip costs the waitstaff right there.

Second, servers have a loooooooooooooooooooooooong memory when it comes to getting stiffed on a tip. Leave 15% and ask to speak to the manager on the way put. NEVER piss off someone who's alone with your food. Ever.