TJ Bass No. 1 in college on zone runs

Jarntt

Reaction score
Calling it now, he’s a bust. Terrible udfa that set this team back for years
Exactly, think of all the Hall of Fame type UDFAs we passed on to take this guy. We may never recover from this...

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because that's what he actually excelled at on the football field, hence the title.
Which is exactly why I have serious doubts how any Olineman who is so slow can actually excel at zone run (movement) blocks. Doesn't make much sense.

Zone blocking persists of an area type of blocking responsibility where an Olineman needs to be agile and quick enough to move and stay moving.

Man blocking is more for slower Olineman which is where I see someone as slow as TJ Bass being more comfortable with doing.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
He was so good at it that he went undrafted!
You guys can't be that ignorant. OL is hard to scout and predict who makes it and who busts. Just on the Cowboys alone we have Newton and Tuinei....others are Brian Waters, Larry Little, Joe Jacoby, Jason Peters on the line and others like Cliff Harris, Pearson, Reeves, Austin, Walls, Romo, Bates as well. You are gonna have some draft busts this year, but you can't label them a bust if you used no draft capital. Might want to think before posting, it makes a big difference.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Remember Fredbeard was knocked for being not being fast. I think 5.12 in the 40 was Fredbeard's time. As an UDFA who really cares, he either learns how to pass block or he will be bagging groceries this NFL season.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they may move him to G where his short arms are less of an issue. He wasn't drafted for a reason........ he possess few of the traits NFL teams look for when projecting from college. He will be lucky to make the practice sqaud.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Now let's critique how all of our other UDFAs may have some flaws that led to them being, you know, undrafted free agents o_O
I hear that Hunter Luepke is buck-toothed.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ok, here is some tape.

Many keep on bringing up how TJ Bass only gave up 2 sacks the past 2 years. That's great. The film shows how good he was in pass protection as an O-Tackle and even has a little dog in him during run blocking when able to combo block, but the film also shows he struggles at times against quicker/faster Dline pass rushers. Bass' short arms and small hands means he will be moved to Guard. That's where my hesitancy lies.

TJ Bass' slow combine times, his inexperience at Guard and his refusal to get timed in the 3-cone drill, 20 yard shuttle and bench press means he's likely lacking in agility and strength, all very telling for an O-Guard's potential. On the bright side, TJ Bass did have a 9'1" broad jump which shows he does have some lower body explosiveness, so he does possess the potential to switch to Guard and become a decently good one if he works tirelessly to improve his strength, quickness, agility and become more aggressive as a run blocker. Keeping fingers crossed that new Oline Coach, Mike Solari, can make TJ Bass better physically and aggressively. Potential to become an UDFA sleeper O-Guard.