TJ Watt

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm taking Watt over the other guys being mentioned Like Charlton and McKinley, or Harris. If he's the pick at #28? I'm happy.

:dance:
I think, he is a very high possibility for our pick. If hes there i think we pull the trigger.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Gregory was on a different level in terms of his ability to capture the edge. Even though their testing numbers may be similar, anyone who watched Gregory play at Nebraska knows he was a special twitchy athlete off the edge.

And weight has relatively little to do with functional strength.

Weight doesn't really matter if you have a fast twitch, and you're quick enough to beat the offensive lineman before he puts his hands on you. See Lawrence Taylor and Dwight Freeney.

Both were undersized as pass rushers, but they were so quick and Freeney had such an amazing bend, that offensive linemen just couldn't stop them.

Randy Gregory was super quick. His problem was he couldn't stay healthy and, of course, he couldn't refrain from the refer. But I had no questions about his ability to get to the quarterback. In fact, I believe had he been available to us, we would have not only beaten the Packers but would have dispatched the Falcons as well.

I don't know too much about T.J. Watts. But if he's super quick like Gregory, we'd better draft him if he drops to our spot in the first round.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I'd be happy with the pick. I do think that he would get some good coaching from a brother that's already done it.

Sources Tell Us
"He looked a lot stronger and a lot more confident on tape this year. He needs to get bigger, but he's already a strong guy. I can see him standing or playing base end for a 4-3 team. He's going to keep getting better." -- Midwest area scout for AFC team

NFL Comparison
Paul Kruger

Bottom Line
A long-limbed effort rusher who posted impressive numbers against the run and pass in just one year as a starter. He is a tireless worker who pursues from snap to whistle and his brother, J.J., will be a tremendous resource for technique and pass-rush plan. While he is unlikely to win a race to the edge, he's a plus run defender who can get to the quarterback with plus hand work and relentless effort.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/t.j.-watt?id=2558064

You can never have enough guys who give it their all on every play. That's how Bill Belichick keeps winning all those Super Bowls. Well, that and Tom Brady. ;)

morasp

Reaction score
You can never have enough guys who give it their all on every play. That's how Bill Belichick keeps winning all those Super Bowls. Well, that and Tom Brady. ;)

Absolutely, and that's exactly what Marinelli expects from his rushmen.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I hope so. I like what I see now and I also see room for even more development and improvement.
:thumbup:
He also has the best DE in the league as a brother to give him tips. It would be funny to see JJ and TJ in the same state as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also has the best DE in the league as a brother to give him tips. It would be funny to see JJ and TJ in the same state as well.

That's another big plus for me. Even the name is martketable from a strictly business perspective. I love the kid's measurable, his work ethic, and the obvious production and upside from still learning the position. I think the "D-line whisperer" Marinelli could work wonders with a player like this. All arrows point up in my opinion.

phildadon86

Reaction score
That's another big plus for me. Even the name is martketable from a strictly business perspective. I love the kid's measurable, his work ethic, and the obvious production and upside from still learning the position. I think the "D-line whisperer" Marinelli could work wonders with a player like this. All arrows point up in my opinion.
No argument here

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The most memorable meeting of this draft process for Watt has been his "surreal" trip down to The Star in Frisco, where he met with Cowboys brass, including owner Jerry Jones owner, who made quite an exit from the meeting.

"Halfway through the conversation (with Jerry Jones), I had to pinch myself almost just to know the conversation was actually happening. It was kind of a surreal moment," Watt said. "Then to see him fly away in his helicopter afterwards was also a really cool moment."

Watt's relishing the opportunity to get to know some of decision makers he's followed for so long.

"Obviously, you hear about Jerry Jones and (defensive coordinator) Rod Marinelli," Watt said, "and to finally sit down and talk with them and see how much they care about football and seeing them have a plan for if I were to be drafted to fit into the defense is pretty cool."

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/watt?campaign=tw-cf-sf70115815-sf70115815

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The most memorable meeting of this draft process for Watt has been his "surreal" trip down to The Star in Frisco, where he met with Cowboys brass, including owner Jerry Jones owner, who made quite an exit from the meeting.

"Halfway through the conversation (with Jerry Jones), I had to pinch myself almost just to know the conversation was actually happening. It was kind of a surreal moment," Watt said. "Then to see him fly away in his helicopter afterwards was also a really cool moment."

Watt's relishing the opportunity to get to know some of decision makers he's followed for so long.

"Obviously, you hear about Jerry Jones and (defensive coordinator) Rod Marinelli," Watt said, "and to finally sit down and talk with them and see how much they care about football and seeing them have a plan for if I were to be drafted to fit into the defense is pretty cool."

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/watt?campaign=tw-cf-sf70115815-sf70115815

I wouldn't mind seeing TJ being our pick at #28 at all. I think he's a sure candidate to give his all and do nothing but improve over time.

Bowdown27

Reaction score

It felt surreal for him but are we enamored with him? We could have chose his brother years ago over Tyron smith so maybe we can get another watt who's impactful

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's also not too difficult to envision TJ adding some solid weight, perhaps up to about 260 or so, with the benefit of proper diet and weight training. Doing so might conceivably even see him converting from LB to DE for us.

Last edited:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I think he is definitely in the conversation, he verified that if drafted they have a "plan" for him as well which tells you his size is not a factor to the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's also not too difficult to envision TJ adding some solid weight, perhaps up to about 260 or so, with the benefit of proper diet and weight training. Doing so might conceivably even see him converting from LB to DE for us.

I think I read where he's already put on 10 pounds since his season ended. If he can do that while also training for the combine, I think he should have little problem adding another 10-15 pounds if they wanted him to.

I don't see him as the "hard gainer" Randy Gregory was, and that didn't stop us from drafting him.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Read today that the Lions love him.

I think it's him or the Colorado CB (Azuize??) that will be the pick at 28. He was invited and has accepted an invite to the draft. I think it was Brugler that said the NFL tries it's hardest to only invite guys that will go round #1.

Plankton

Reaction score
Read today that the Lions love him.

I think it's him or the Colorado CB (Azuize??) that will be the pick at 28. He was invited and has accepted an invite to the draft. I think it was Brugler that said the NFL tries it's hardest to only invite guys that will go round #1.

They invite guys for Round 2 as well. In the past, for example, Rob Gronkowski was invited to the draft, and he wasn't considered a first rounder.