TJ Watt

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I think Watt is a 3-4 OLB and it has nothing to do with size. It's because his burst off the snap is only average and he doesn't have the bend to get around OT's. I think he'll make a really solid 3-4 OLB in the Connor Barwin mold. Beast against the run, can cover the flat, great motor, and enough pass rush and motor to contribute 6-8 sacks a year. But putting his hand in the dirt and beating OT's isn't his specialty imo.

Haven't Barwin's best years come when he played as DE?

tm1119

Reaction score
Haven't Barwin's best years come when he played as DE?

No, don't believe he's ever played in a 4-3 other than last year when he was terrible. Could be mistaken on that but don't think so...His best years were under Wade Phillips in Houston and then he was great in '14 under Chip and Billy Davis who ran a 3-4.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
No, don't believe he's ever played in a 4-3 other than last year when he was terrible. Could be mistaken on that but don't think so...His best years were under Wade Phillips in Houston and then he was great in '14 under Chip and Billy Davis who ran a 3-4.

Ok you got me. Could have sworn I had seen him with his hand in the ground quite a bit against us. I'm 100% sure he was a rush end in both of those teams nickel and dime looks.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Barwin registered 14.5 sacks for the Eagles in 2014 (been with the Eagles since 2013) as a DE. Eagles haven't run a 34 at any point in recent memory.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Even at OLB it would give us the ability to rush from any of our LB effectively. Watt, Smith and Lee coming at that QB would be scary.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TJ Watt is now my official "Pet Cat" for the 2017 draft:

Armchair-V3.jpg

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Watt in Dallas..

We need standard football players. Any player that will take a little outside of the box scheming will never play to their full potential here.

Give me a standard DE over him.

Silverstar

Reaction score
If we don't take Watt or Bowser at 28 if available, then the Packers, Steelers, Falcons or Patriots will.

Those two will not make it out of the 1st round. You either grab one at 28 or let that talent go to another team.

Then pray you made the right decision with your pick.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Teams Split on T.J. Watt in the First Round Updated April 9, 2017
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

One of the prospects on the bubble of the first day of the 2017 NFL Draft is Wisconsin edge rusher T.J. Watt. In speaking with teams across the league, they are divided on whether Watt will make it into the first round. There are a lot of edge rush-needy teams picking late in the first round, but there are some questions about Watt translating to certain systems. That could lead to him slipping to the second day of the draft.

The 6-foot-4, 252-pounder had a breakout 2016 season with 63 tackles with 15.5 tackles for a loss, 11.5 sacks, four passes batted, and two forced fumbles before deciding to skip his senior year. Here are some of the comments on Watt from around the NFL:

One NFC playoff general manager said, "He's a great kid, I hope he goes in the first round. He's on the edge." Another NFC national scout said he could go in the first and he was very close to being a first on their board. Conversely, one AFC director of college scouting said, "No, I think he slips to the second round."

Watt is a good fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but his fit in a 4-3 defense isn't as clear. He could maybe add weight to play defensive end, or play Sam (strongside) linebacker. One general manager of a playoff team said this about Watt translating to a 4-3 defense, "It depends on what type of 4-3 defense you are talking about, but yes, might have a chance."

Here is how a national scout summarized Watt as a player and his first-round hopes, "It wouldn't shock me if he went in the first. He's more of a luxury in the first round. Teams like New England (if they had a first), Baltimore, or Pittsburgh would be great fits for him. They would be ideal if you were to place him."

Thus, there is no consensus around the league on where Watt will go in the 2017 NFL Draft. Watt could be selected on Thursday night, but could just as easily fall into Day 2.
https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/nfldraftrumormill

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
There's a lot of projecting when it comes to Watt because he doesn't play a traditional hand-in-the-ground 43 DE. Can he? Possibly. But there's a lot of technique, strength and angles he's got to learn to man that spot. I still think his most natural fit is as a 34 OLB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Even at OLB it would give us the ability to rush from any of our LB effectively. Watt, Smith and Lee coming at that QB would be scary.

This is a Rod Marinelli defense.

It sounds good to say things like this but the reality is we will play basic football with basic blitz packages and a guy like Watt just doesn't fit in here.

He needs to go to a 3-4 team.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
It's so funny to me that we don't want Watt but won't get rid of Gregory lol. 252 pound guy vs 235 pounds.

Gaede

Reaction score
This is a Rod Marinelli defense.

It sounds good to say things like this but the reality is we will play basic football with basic blitz packages and a guy like Watt just doesn't fit in here.

He needs to go to a 3-4 team.
Agreed.

I like Watt and think he'll be a really good player, just like his bro. But he is a 3-4 LB now and should remain at that position. He can be very good there.