News: TLH: Super Bowl LV shows why Cowboys need to pay Dak Prescott

RonnieT24

Reaction score
While I don't believe Dalton could, we also pretty much give up on a super bowl possibility if we pay Dak 40ish/year.

Dak has gone way beyond trying to maximize his value.

Not if we do it over a longer term. Anything longer than 5 years enables the Cowboys to start Dak's cap hit under 25 million in 2021 and ramp up from there. The longer the term the better it is for the cap. That part's not really up for debate. That's why I've stated repeatedly that Dak must sign a cap friendly deal or leave town. People citing the fact that Zeke, Tank, Coop and Jaylon didn't worry about the cap when demanding their deals ignore the fact that Dak's deal will literally be more than any two of those guys combined. To paraphrase that old philosopher: With great salary comes great responsibility. If you're asking for that big a piece of the pie then you need to understand that responsibility.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Not if we do it over a longer term. Anything longer than 5 years enables the Cowboys to start Dak's cap hit under 25 million in 2021 and ramp up from there. The longer the term the better it is for the cap. That part's not really up for debate. That's why I've stated repeatedly that Dak must sign a cap friendly deal or leave town. People citing the fact that Zeke, Tank, Coop and Jaylon didn't worry about the cap when demanding their deals ignore the fact that Dak's deal will literally be more than any two of those guys combined. To paraphrase that old philosopher: With great salary comes great responsibility. If you're asking for that big a piece of the pie then you need to understand that responsibility.

Dak isn't interested in a longer term. If anything he want's a shorter deal so that he can get another shot at a contract once the new NFL TV deals are announced.

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely. And Dak is absolutely refusing. He is insisting on 4 years.

I'm not ignoring any of that. Every one of those contracts was stupid.

Gotta get your mind away from the Dak lovers and haters if you want to have a real convo about it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
true the article was odd trying to use Mahomes average day in sb against the leagues top defensive front 7 to daks 4 RS losses to decent teams most of the yards put up late after the game was out of hand..

also they forgot to mention while Mahomes scrambled away from that rush and poor OL play for around 500 yards and on two plays he hit wrs in the facemask and hand in the EZ that were Tds..

mahomes did his best and his wrs let him down this game..you take the good with he bad as his WRs have made him look great most of his career.it happens they had a bad game but individually Mahomes was Mahomes even on bad foot and his wrs unfortunately didnt come through when he most needed it..

when daks losing N(a)FCCGs like Rogers and mahomes then we can start doing comps on his worth and how much to pay him..fans are even fickle calling Rogers a choker because he loses championship games, laughable what have our qbs done? that true choking, cant get past the 2nd round type of choking..

the old phrase rather to have loved and lost that to have never loved at all, well instead of love substitute championship appearances. Ill take Jim Kelleys 4 losses and 4 straight appearances over any qb you try and say is better because well JK must be choker LOL cant win the big one, well how about get to a mthrfn big one before you judge..:)

IMHO Dak should have taken the first deals two years ago then if and only if he got us to a NFCCG or SB come back and ask for new deal.for sure that applies to the latest offers..beyond fair..insane the hardball hes playing..sure he has rights too but its not sitting well with a lot of fans..
I agree with all you said, and Rodgers, I dont think he is a choker, I do think he is arrogant, and believes the media when they say he is great,
which leads to him being a I am so good, I can just show up and play type. I dont think he tries as hard as brady to be the best he can be in off season
and during season.
Also they played the TB defense too lol this year, and he and his team were not ready for them and had a poor game plan.
Mahomes faced that same defense, and DC, and they too had a poor game plan, and could not adjust to what TB was doing.

About Brady and his pay, he gives a discount of lets say 10 mil, and that can help a team like TB who already have most of the pieces.
That 10 mil allowed or paid for ABrown, and Gronk, and maybe another player or 2. That makes a difference, what if TB didnt have that 1 player gronk??

Brady likes to be paid too even though he has a lot of money, he could play for 1 mil a year, but he doesnt do that, and that would really help a team.

Dak should have taken the deal of 5 @ 35,( which is too much) but he wants to get ALL the money he can get , and doesnt care how that affects his team.
Which leads me to conclude, he isnt really into being a SB champ, he just wants the money, all he can get and maybe they get lucky and get to a SB.
But Dak is fairly smart guy, so I dont see how he thinks his team can get to a SB paying him max market pay, so again he seems more interested
in the money than being a winner.

And Dak isnt the only player on his team that just wants the money more than winning, add elliot, lawrence, martin, cooper, and some others, and
other players on other teams are the same way, just give me the money.

Brady won his first SB on 2nd year of his rookie contract, which was pretty low as a 6th round pick, probably was the lowest paid qb to win a SB
in this century. He had success early , got paid then married giselle and at the time she was not that wealthy, marrying Brady , is what helped her get big
contracts, because what she does, pays more the more famous she is, and marrying Brady made her pay go way up. She is smart too, and probably
knew that would happen.
But many qb's in the league could do what tom does, and take less to be winners but none of them do it lol.

I would rather take 25 mil a year and get a SB ring than make top market pay and never get the SB ring.
Anyone can live great and be secure for life making 25 mil a year lol......except some who are morons, and they would wind up broke no matter how
much they make in football.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with all you said, and Rodgers, I dont think he is a choker, I do think he is arrogant, and believes the media when they say he is great,
which leads to him being a I am so good, I can just show up and play type. I dont think he tries as hard as brady to be the best he can be in off season
and during season.
Also they played the TB defense too lol this year, and he and his team were not ready for them and had a poor game plan.
Mahomes faced that same defense, and DC, and they too had a poor game plan, and could not adjust to what TB was doing.

About Brady and his pay, he gives a discount of lets say 10 mil, and that can help a team like TB who already have most of the pieces.
That 10 mil allowed or paid for ABrown, and Gronk, and maybe another player or 2. That makes a difference, what if TB didnt have that 1 player gronk??

Brady likes to be paid too even though he has a lot of money, he could play for 1 mil a year, but he doesnt do that, and that would really help a team.

Dak should have taken the deal of 5 @ 35,( which is too much) but he wants to get ALL the money he can get , and doesnt care how that affects his team.
Which leads me to conclude, he isnt really into being a SB champ, he just wants the money, all he can get and maybe they get lucky and get to a SB.
But Dak is fairly smart guy, so I dont see how he thinks his team can get to a SB paying him max market pay, so again he seems more interested
in the money than being a winner.

And Dak isnt the only player on his team that just wants the money more than winning, add elliot, lawrence, martin, cooper, and some others, and
other players on other teams are the same way, just give me the money.

Brady won his first SB on 2nd year of his rookie contract, which was pretty low as a 6th round pick, probably was the lowest paid qb to win a SB
in this century. He had success early , got paid then married giselle and at the time she was not that wealthy, marrying Brady , is what helped her get big
contracts, because what she does, pays more the more famous she is, and marrying Brady made her pay go way up. She is smart too, and probably
knew that would happen.
But many qb's in the league could do what tom does, and take less to be winners but none of them do it lol.

I would rather take 25 mil a year and get a SB ring than make top market pay and never get the SB ring.
Anyone can live great and be secure for life making 25 mil a year lol......except some who are morons, and they would wind up broke no matter how
much they make in football.
difference at least those other deals were team friendly and they did allow jerry to write it in way for it to help should, they need it later..dak hasn't caved on one thig..

lastly daks money is like two of those players combined. Thats the difference ..

we help hoi by giving him coop, lamb, zeke, gallup, jarwin, shulz and great OL..what hes done for jerry in return? im not saying he should give in on all of it but after last years snub at that last deal i lost little respect for dak from fan stand point who wants the team to succeed,,

i realize daks not bad person trying to max his deal and has every rights to do so but my POV is i lost little respect for him..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Absolutely. And Dak is absolutely refusing. He is insisting on 4 years.

I'm not ignoring any of that. Every one of those contracts was stupid.

Gotta get your mind away from the Dak lovers and haters if you want to have a real convo about it.

Yeah.. it seems like people want to just argue about it. I have no interest in any of that. I'm not moving off my belief that Dak isn't the sort of guy who would place being the "highest paid player yadda yadda yadda" for 5 minutes above being part of a consistently good team until I see it in black and white. If he does succumb to greed and kneecaps the Cowboys against the cap then I will cease being a fan of his. Now I know it will be difficult but I suspect his 2.5 million dollar a week game check will enable him to get by without my undying devotion but we both know that if he doesn't play ball with regard to the cap our favorite team will never get beyond the divisional round because they simply will not be able to put together a good enough team. I don't care how they do it, but the Cowboys absolutely CANNOT have Dak count 40 million against the cap in 2021.

exciter

Reaction score
NFL QBs are paid like cars. Brady is like an older really cool car that isn’t the most expensive model because it’s older- like a classic Corvette. Which may be even considered “the best car” but it’s not as expensive as a newer Vette.

Look Brady is the GOAT. Unquestionably so. But he’s 43. THAT is what makes his payday less than a guy who’s younger and less accomplished. NFL QBs are not paid according to logic or accomplishment. It’s a strange market. QBs are paid according to what the market dictates. Not what we think is fair. That is true whether we want Dak or any other young QB seeking market value.
Bingo!

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Super Bowl LV shows why Cowboys need to pay Dak Prescott

https%3A%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2018%2F08%2F13850359.jpeg

That loud thud you heard last night was the book closing on the 2020 season with the Dallas Cowboys once again searching for new answers. Congratulations t...

Read Full Story
After watching the Super Bowl, boys need to focus on defense. Not sure what everyone else was watching. Oh yea, Brady.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
Yeah.. it seems like people want to just argue about it. I have no interest in any of that. I'm not moving off my belief that Dak isn't the sort of guy who would place being the "highest paid player yadda yadda yadda" for 5 minutes above being part of a consistently good team until I see it in black and white. If he does succumb to greed and kneecaps the Cowboys against the cap then I will cease being a fan of his. Now I know it will be difficult but I suspect his 2.5 million dollar a week game check will enable him to get by without my undying devotion but we both know that if he doesn't play ball with regard to the cap our favorite team will never get beyond the divisional round because they simply will not be able to put together a good enough team. I don't care how they do it, but the Cowboys absolutely CANNOT have Dak count 40 million against the cap in 2021.

Dak from what has been reported from contract talks has only been interested in a 4 year deal. The reasoning for this is pretty obvious to even the most blinkered fan. He wishes to bleed this team . Not once but twice. His plan was to take a large contract in 2020 and wait for the new TV deals to kick in and renegotiate another killer contact in 2023 ( his third year) or go the tagged route again. This plan really is obvious and will kill any chance of FA. Sign Dak by all means but pray that we hit every pick for the next two years in the draft because FA wont help this team out of one and done hell.

kskboys

Reaction score
Then in your opinion, why is Dak absolutely insisting on a 4 year deal? Is he not bright enough to realize it would hamstring the team?

I'm quite confused as to how this contract negotiantion played out. Really doesn't make sense, which is why I've concluded that it appears that Dak doesn't want to be here. Your thoughts?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then in your opinion, why is Dak absolutely insisting on a 4 year deal? Is he not bright enough to realize it would hamstring the team?

I'm quite confused as to how this contract negotiantion played out. Really doesn't make sense, which is why I've concluded that it appears that Dak doesn't want to be here. Your thoughts?
I’m not sure either way on Dak’s desire to be here. But I did read a good story by Bob Sturm a few weeks back that made the point that young QBs being signed the last few years are almost all getting 4 year deals. Sturm says the Cowboys insistence on 5 is kind of outside the norm these days for young QBs. Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Desean Watson all signed 4 year deals.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Brady makes about 25 million a year. Is Dak better than Brady?

Can you get Brady? NOPE!!!

The salary comes to around 30 million per year with incentives reached. Give me Dak for the next 7 years or Brady for the next 1 or 2 at most. Either way, 5 million here or there isnt going to make or break anything either way.

Brady doesnt win diddly without that Tampa D.

I

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak isn't interested in a longer term. If anything he want's a shorter deal so that he can get another shot at a contract once the new NFL TV deals are announced.
All the young QBs these days are getting 4 year deals. Watson, Goff and Wentz all got 4 year deals. Kirk Cousins original deal with Vikes was for 3 years. Cowboys asking for 5 is outside the norm here.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m not sure either way on Dak’s desire to be here. But I did read a good story by Bob Sturm a few weeks back that made the point that young QBs being signed the last few years are almost all getting 4 year deals. Sturm says the Cowboys insistence on 5 is kind of outside the norm these days for young QBs. Carson Wentz, Jared Goff and Desean Watson all signed 4 year deals.
And all 3 teams trying hard to dump those deals.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All the young QBs these days are getting 4 year deals. Watson, Goff and Wentz all got 4 year deals. Kirk Cousins original deal with Vikes was for 3 years. Cowboys asking for 5 is outside the norm here.

Yep, Jerry just needs to pony up on 4 years.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady makes about 25 million a year. Is Dak better than Brady?
Pay is not a position ranking system. And there was a time Brady was earning at the top of the QB pay scale. As he got older and had been through some high paying contracts he was much more agreeable to accepting less.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And all 3 teams trying hard to dump those deals.
Right, I’m just explaining why I don’t understand the Cowboys holding hard for 5 years....unless...they intended all along to freeze out Dak? Not sure...

kskboys

Reaction score
Right, I’m just explaining why I don’t understand the Cowboys holding hard for 5 years....unless...they intended all along to freeze out Dak? Not sure...
Because they want him for their long term QB and want to be able to put a team around him that can compete for super bowls.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one needs to pay a QB that has gone 6-11 his last 17 games......
How about one that went 5-11 like Elway did one stretch? Or 6-10 like Peyton Manning did at one stretch. Or one that went 10-17, as Brees did early in his career, or 21-27 as Brees did at a point later in his career? Or 10-12-1 as Rodgers did a few years ago? Or 7-19 as Aikman was early in his career?

Apparently a cherry picked stretch of a player's career doesn't tell the whole story.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they want him for their long term QB and want to be able to put a team around him that can compete for super bowls.
Oh I get that. I’m just starting to doubt they really want him that bad. Because making the 5 year deal a hard line makes no sense to me if they really wanted him.