News: TMZ: Jerry Jones Tells Aaron Donald He Was Heartbroken At 2014 Draft, We Wanted You!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Martin is my favorite player on the team right, but I won't lie, I wanted Donald bad! Felt like that was as sure a pick at his position as there has been in a while. I thought he would be gone after the top five. One of those men among boys. Wish we had him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry Jones Tells Aaron Donald He Was Heartbroken At '14 Draft, We Wanted You!

cd49d0618b604dcf9ba70362d02f43c8_xl.jpg

Jerry Jones told Aaron Donald he was devastated when the Rams drafted the DT just 3 picks before the Cowboys took Martin in 2014!!!

Read Full Story
Jerry gets called out a lot, but the man does have a massive heart, and his loyalty is undeniably deep, esp when compared to other Owners in this league.
Just think if Jerry ever walked into an animal rescue, he would want to take them all, and say he was devastated no to have been able to take each and everyone home.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Wait, I thought he got in a drunken brawl with Stephen over Johnny Manziel?

starfan1

Reaction score
I didn’t read the article but I did listen on the fan but what I heard is jerry saying “ this is what a War Daddy looks like

shots fired! At DLaw actually just Jerry and bourbon talking

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. Reports are Dallas has wanted Donald, Vea and Ed Oliver........ the real issue is they haven't traded up to get those guys when they had a chance but didn't mind going up and getting Claiborne

I was just joking about Jerry saying that, but agree, especially about the Claiborne trade. So why not go get one of those players.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait, I thought he got in a drunken brawl with Stephen over Johnny Manziel?

I think the Manziel thing was over played in the media, then more so by the fans.
From what I read Stephen did not snatch the card out of Jerry's hand, it was Jerry was thinking go writing Johnny as the pick, and wanted to, but then went with the others decision.

The brawl was Stephen said it was over I think the Deion Contract, or some players, where Stephen had Jerry pinned to the wall with his arm against his neck. I believe they both said this. I can't remember what it was about. I don't think it was signing the player, it was over the amount of money or contractual terms.

Verdict

Reaction score
I’m more worried about this being viewed as tampering.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I was just joking about Jerry saying that, but agree, especially about the Claiborne trade. So why not go get one of those players.
I'm in totally agreement with you. If they thought these guys were franchise players why not give up a Connor Williams or something to go get them. Instead they sit and wait and just take whatever player available. I like Leighton a ton but I would have moved up and got Derwin James. Tons of LBs that draft I wanted including Fred Warner and the LB the Colts took in the 2nd round that year.

GMO415

Reaction score
Every Cowboys fan that followed football and watched that draft was hoping we'd get Aaron Donald in that draft
It was nice we drafted the guy that shut Donald in the Senior Bowl

Flamma

Reaction score
All I know is I'd trade Zach is less than a second for Donald, and so would every other GM.

Zach is a great, GREAT OG, but his value doesn't sniff the value of Donald. An average starting NFL OG wouldn't impact our offense much. Donald would totally change our DL.

Not sure about that. We're talking about two monsters here. Both would have equal impact given the supporting cast. Yeah, I'd agree that our Cowboys today would probably benefit more with Donald. Because our OL as a whole isn't as good as advertised. But in 2016 I'd say Martin impacted our team more than Donald would have.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'm shocked that Jerry is the same height as Donald

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm in totally agreement with you. If they thought these guys were franchise players why not give up a Connor Williams or something to go get them. Instead they sit and wait and just take whatever player available. I like Leighton a ton but I would have moved up and got Derwin James. Tons of LBs that draft I wanted including Fred Warner and the LB the Colts took in the 2nd round that year.

Maybe this will change with MM now. Even though McClay still is the key but I am sure MM will have his input and say so as well.
As from what I read, McClay said they will put together the draft board and FA list according to the type of players the coaches are looking for.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
In hindsight what GM wouldn’t say this? Donald is great. At the time he was too small to play DT.

Jerry just being Jerry here.
Completely untrue.

Donald was the favorite of 99% of the Cowboys fan base.
He was the 3T this team badly wanted to provide pass rush.
DAL values pass rush on the interior.

Jerry isn't lying.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Maybe this will change with MM now. Even though McClay still is the key but I am sure MM will have his input and say so as well.
As from what I read, McClay said they will put together the draft board and FA list according to the type of players the coaches are looking for.
Plus you won't gave papa Rod banging the table for Hill instead of taking the safeties that were rated much higher.