TO defends Dez on Undisputed

Tommy

Reaction score
You mean the first year off Garrett’s offense? Then in typical Garrett fashion, once the nfc has a year to digest his offense he couldn’t adjust? Thanks for playing, try better next time.
What are you talking about?

By the time TO got here he was on the tail end of his career. His numbers jumped up when Garrett got here. The entire offense did if you remember. Look at Witten’s, Barber’s and Romo’s statistics.

TO starting dropping off in 2008. He left Dallas and nose dived in 2009 and 2010 when he retired.

None of that is because of Garrett.

I understand the complaints about Garrett during our losing streak but quit making crap up.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score

By the time TO got here he was on the tail end of his career. His numbers jumped up when Garrett got here. The entire offense did if you remember. Look at Witten’s, Barber’s and Romo’s statistics.

TO starting dropping off in 2008. He left Dallas and nose dived in 2009 and 2010 when he retired.

I understand the complaints about Garrett during our losing streak but quit making crap up.
It wouldn’t have to do with Romo being in his second year starting and getting away from Parcells conservative approach. No, it was all.......Jason Garrett. Lol ok dude. And he nosedived? He went to Cincinnati and had a great season. Would’ve had a 1000 yard season if he hadn’t missed a game, and that’s with him sharing targets with Chad Johnson. YOU stop making **** up

vlad

Reaction score
I can't understand people hating on TO here - he's thoughtful, non-combative, and if anything he's being soft-spoken. Many people have been saying these things about Garrett for years - and I feel its still the case. Look at Zeke - that dude is a "Complete" RB which is why he's justified at 4, meaning he is supposed to be Faulk-like in his WR skills...yet....yeah.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not about liking TO or not liking him.

It’s about a coach that doesn’t put his players in the best position to succeed.

There is so much whining and crying over Dez but what he has accomplished with a coach like Jason Garrett is incredible.

And yet, his offenses have consistently outproduced the majority of NFL offenses, year in, year out. He's done it with more than one QB, with different combinations of RBs and WRs, and having rebuilt the OL from scratch. And all we hear about is how he can't run an offense and that he's dependent on the quality of his players (as if any coach, anywhere, isn't; and as if he doesn't get credit for his role in finding and developing the players who consistently play well for him).

Nobody is getting scapegoated. The reality is, you're going to have some player personnel issues over the course of ten years on an NFL football team. But Garrett has nothing to apologize for when it comes to the productivity of his offenses.

It's the defense that's consistently sucked and that has been neglected. But we want to pretend the problem is with game plans and the offense for whatever stupid reason.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I can't understand people hating on TO here - he's thoughtful, non-combative, and if anything he's being soft-spoken. Many people have been saying these things about Garrett for years - and I feel its still the case. Look at Zeke - that dude is a "Complete" RB which is why he's justified at 4, meaning he is supposed to be Faulk-like in his WR skills...yet....yeah.
Emo (men), it’s disgusting and predictable. And I bet the ones *****ing didn’t even watch the video.

And people are saying Garrett produced with multiple qbs? Like 2015 didn’t happen. Some pathetic people on this board I swear. Garrett riding Romo for years means nothing to me.

superonyx

Reaction score
Check out his last 7 years in the NFL from his time in Philadelphia until he retired. Where did he perform his best?
You are missing the important part....
Its not about stats. If TO says Garrett wouldn't let him run but a very limited number of routes then that's a problem.
Shannon is talking about all the routes he has never seen Dez run and TO had a flashback to his time with Garrett when he was restricted to a small predictable amount of routes./
You are focused only on a guys stats. You should listen to what he is saying.

phildadon86

Reaction score

It was actually sparanos offense not Garrett. When sparano went to Miami and Garrett had to come up with his own ideas our team fell flat on its face.

cej757

Reaction score

2008 was the year Romo broke his thumb and missed a month. Jerry traded for Roy Williams.Everyone's numbers dropped that year. And Romo wasn't that great when he came back. That was just a down year for everyone.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And yet, his offenses have consistently outproduced the majority of NFL offenses, year in, year out. He's done it with more than one QB, with different combinations of RBs and WRs, and having rebuilt the OL from scratch. And all we hear about is how he can't run an offense and that he's dependent on the quality of his players (as if any coach, anywhere, isn't; and as if he doesn't get credit for his role in finding and developing the players who consistently play well for him).

Nobody is getting scapegoated. The reality is, you're going to have some player personnel issues over the course of ten years on an NFL football team. But Garrett has nothing to apologize for when it comes to the productivity of his offenses.

It's the defense that's consistently sucked and that has been neglected. But we want to pretend the problem is with game plans and the offense for whatever stupid reason.

He does have something to apologize for IMO.

The defense having its issues does not absolve the offense of shortcomings, or prevent it from living up to it's potential.

That's the thing with Garrett. It's easy to have a productive offense (and being better than the majority of teams is not a very high bar) when you have an elite QB and some good talent. The offense has never maximized it's potential under him, however. That is problematic.

superonyx

Reaction score

I agree overall that our defense has been our biggest issue over the years.
I think the reason people start to look at JG's offensive scheme is because when something isn't working people tend to look into the reasons why. We have a fan base that has pitchforks out ready to take out Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Dak Prescott all of a sudden. People see Goff and Wentz looking like Tom Brady once they get spread offense with great play design and they see our team look like 11 guys wearing cement shoes who cant get out of their own way and it makes people question. JG has had the luxury of having the smartest QB in nfl history (my opinion) in Romo. Tony and now Dak appear to be scratching, spinning, fighting for every yard the offense gets. Every route is contested. Every play looks like it a millimeter from blowing up and being a loss.

Watching this offense over the years gives one the impression that players have to win their individual matchups for any play to work. We don't see clever play design that creates mismatches and players running free. You don't see the type of plays the eagles ran on us where guys were schemed open. Instead you see men getting pressed and little open field or separation anywhere.
It also doesn't help to have former players like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis ect commenting on how simplistic your offense is.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
2008 was the year Romo broke his thumb and missed a month. Jerry traded for Roy Williams.Everyone's numbers dropped that year. And Romo wasn't that great when he came back. That was just a down year for everyone.

Or maybe, it was due to Garrett's offense?

Gameover

Reaction score
And year 1 was a bit of a fluke

That 75 yard TD in Philadelphia, where no Eagle bothered to cover him.

Those 3 fluke TD vs the Commanders

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I was way too distracted to be listening to what these dudes were talking about. My eyes kept focusing on that young lady's computer screen, to see what she had open, but I could only see half of it! Nevertheless, I wasn't about to wish that she would move. Nomsayin'? Woweeeee :rolleyes:

Dre11

Reaction score
Starts around the 6:07 mark for the Garrett fanboys. TO gets technical about the routes they run in Garrett’s offense as well. Bill Walsh already told y’all Owens was the smartest receiver he ever met. Garrett didn’t like loud mouth TO realizing that his offense was trash. The gig is up
Except that Linehan has change a lot of concepts to his liking...lol what part of that did you and T.O miss? Also, The routes weren't an issue when Dez was balling out.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe is ABSOLUTELY right. Dez Bryant is a guy who hasn't worked on his craft. He isn't a technician. Now that he has lost a step, he's mediocre, at best. TO can't run the route tree. Period.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree overall that our defense has been our biggest issue over the years.
I think the reason people start to look at JG's offensive scheme is because when something isn't working people tend to look into the reasons why. We have a fan base that has pitchforks out ready to take out Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Dak Prescott all of a sudden. People see Goff and Wentz looking like Tom Brady once they get spread offense with great play design and they see our team look like 11 guys wearing cement shoes who cant get out of their own way and it makes people question. JG has had the luxury of having the smartest QB in nfl history (my opinion) in Romo. Tony and now Dak appear to be scratching, spinning, fighting for every yard the offense gets. Every route is contested. Every play looks like it a millimeter from blowing up and being a loss.

Watching this offense over the years gives one the impression that players have to win their individual matchups for any play to work. We don't see clever play design that creates mismatches and players running free. You don't see the type of plays the eagles ran on us where guys were schemed open. Instead you see men getting pressed and little open field or separation anywhere.
It also doesn't help to have former players like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis ect commenting on how simplistic your offense is.

I agree as to why people are complaining, but the facts are this team has been more successful than most on a per series basis, and that includes this year up until the last two weeks. Simple is a good thing if teams have trouble stopping it.

As for the last few games, it's not exactly rocket science. And we don't need TO sucking up on a PR tour for his HoF candidacy to explain what the problems are. 12 sacks. 3 picks. However-many pressures, too many 2nd and longs from running on first downs, and too many routes where you have to keep receivers in to block. It's pretty simple.