To Kill a Mock, 6.0

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Due to my Arizona Wildcats being absolutely destroyed by Louisville I had to do something to cheer myself up. Nothing cheers me up more than Christmas in April.

So I will attempt to not kill a Mock. This one will encompass my ever changing opinion of what we will do with our 1st pick. I still don't have a great read on that. So I decided that one of my pet cats lands in our laps at Pick #51. What better way to kill the blues?

2nd round...Pick #51...Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma, 6'5", 329.
I am convinced he is an instant starter, solves the problems at LG for the next 10 years. Kosier and Holland become the primary backups and we run all over people. I would trade up in the 2nd to get him if we had to.

3rd round (from Cleveland)...Pick #69...Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon, 5'11", 212. The safeties are falling on the Draft Boards and a little bird tells me he is one of 3 former Day 1 picks who could slide to Day 2. Wishful thinking? maybe a little, but remember this, Jason Witten was a sure fire 1st rounder who went in round 3.

4th round (from Detroit)...Pick #101...Lawrence Sidbury, DE/OLB, Richmond, 6'2", 265. This guy is from a small school but is all about production. 6.5 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss. He never stops coming for the ball. His only negative is the small school, but don't let that stop anyone. I cannot stop thinking he is a steal.

4th round...Pick #117...Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson State, 6'1", 195. Depth at CB is needed and this guy can fly. He didn't fly at the Combine but he will at his pro day. Sub 4.4 speed and a nose for the football.

5th round...Pick #156...Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB, Eastern Michigan 6'1", 245. I know the Cowboys like Beckwith, but I think with the Safeties falling they pass on him and wait on ILB. I am happy because one of my pet cats returns to my Mocks.

5th round (from Tennessee)...Pick #166...Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State, 6'2", 218. It is time to develop some QB depth. A good 3rd string QB who could develop for the future. Talent is not a question. Accepted money from a booster and got expelled. No boosters in the NFL. He is the QB I think best fits our system and has a chance to progress.

5th round (Compensatory)...Pick #172...Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona, 5'9", 187. A big time Punt Return threat who also has guts. Isn't afraid to go over the middle. Not likely to be a star, but can develop into a 3rd WR in the slot. We need to fill that spot. This kid can develop and will push Crayton. A leader.

6th round (from Miami)...Pick #197...Glover Quinn, CB, New Mexico, 5'11", 204. We lost 2 CBs and this guy can be a Scandrick kind of steal. Not as fast, but has great ball instincts. 11 pass breakups and 5 picks along with 53 tackles.

6th round (Compensatory)...Pick #208...
Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky, 6'0", 319. I am not buying the Wade Phillips schtick about Junior Siavi. This guy is too talented not to take a chance on. He can be a PS guy if Siavi really is all that and Wade was right. This is a Chris Canty-like steal. If it weren't for injuries he could be a day 1 pick. Depth who can develop. 11 TFL, 4.5 sacks.

7th round (from Detroit)...Pick #210...
Ryan Delrosal, OT, Dixie State, 6'5", 313. Heck of an athlete. Would you believe a sub 5.00 time in the 40 for a man that big? He did it and is strong too. A project, but good depth.

7th round...Pick #227...Dallas Reynolds, C, BYU, 6'5", 328. Depth across OL is needed badly. Don't even try to argue with me about his name. Fits this team. He is versatile. Can play all 5 OL positions.

Go easy on me, my Wildcats suffered a 39 point whoopin'. Ah, the hell with that, if you hate it, speak your mind.

RS12

Reaction score
If this happened it would rival last years draft. No way Sidbury is there in the fourth. Also I dont see Thomas there in the 5th. I like both these guys alot, I bet alot of other teams do too.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
I think we have a major issue at ILB right now......

And DE could be a major issue next year with Spears/Hatcher FA's.

I'm hoping ILB/DE will be our first 2 picks.

I don't think Mike Thomas makes it out of 3.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I want us to try and trade down in the 2nd and add a 3rd. This mock reflects us being able to do just that.....

2 - OLB Lawrence Sidbury - speed, aggressive, intelligence
3a - OL T.J. Lang - versatile, quick, intelligence
3b - SS Jonathan Casillas - quick, speed, versatile
4a - OT Sebastian Vollmer - power, work ethic
4b - FS Darcel McBath - quick, speed, range
5a - ILB Jason Williams - quick, speed, versatility
5b - DT Roy Miller - power, quick, work ethic
5c - WR Quan Cosby - quick, versatility, intangibles, intelligence
6a - CB Brice McCain - quick, speed, cover ability
6b - OT Lyndon Murtha - power, quick, intelligence
7a - ILB/SS Spencer Adkins - quick, speed, versatility
7b - CB Bradley Fletcher - quick, speed

UDFA
QB Jason Boltus - This year's QB dark horse, I hope we can get him as a UDFA
FB Tony Fiamatta - merely a blocking FB
RB Chris Ogbonnaya - not very productive between the tackles, but excellent in space, especially as a receiver out of the backfield
RB Marlon Lucky - all substance and absolutely no flash, definitely a lunchpail type of player
WR Isaiah Williams - size, speed, and vert (41) make him a sleeper WR for sure, and a great redzone threat)
WR Greg Carr - size makes him a great redzone threat
TE David Johnson - not very tall but still a productive TE, solid blocker
OG Steve Rehring - I believe he is better than he portrayed while playing out of position last season
DT Khalif Mitchell - adequate size for a 3-4 DT
DE Michael Bennett (Marty's Bro) - wouldn't be a bad option for practice squad
DE/OLB Henry Milton - much better on the D side as opposed to RB
S Al Afalava - quick, speed, nice range
CB Wopamo Osaisai - solid in coverage
CB Ryan Palmer - a gamer

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Now this is a mock to get excited about! Unfortunately, I agree that we are pushing our luck. Sidbury really seems like he'll be long gone before the fourth. He may even get drafted before Chung. Also +1 that Thomas will go in the late third or early fourth, having locked down top "ready to contrbute punt returning slot guy" honors. I could, however, easily see us parlaying a player and some picks to get the multiple thirds needed to snag some of these guys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2706810 said:
Now this is a mock to get excited about! Unfortunately, I agree that we are pushing our luck. Sidbury really seems like he'll be long gone before the fourth. He may even get drafted before Chung. Also +1 that Thomas will go in the late third or early fourth, having locked down top "ready to contrbute punt returning slot guy" honors. I could, however, easily see us parlaying a player and some picks to get the multiple thirds needed to snag some of these guys.
I can't see Mike Thomas going that high. I love the kid, but 3rd round would amaze me.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Arizona making it to the sweet 16 was enough of a miracle (though beating my Utes who should have been a #8 seed and Cleveland State isn't the hardest road).

I like the picks, but I think we'd have to be very fortunate to see Chung and Sidbury drop like that.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Hostile;2706825 said:
I can't see Mike Thomas going that high. I love the kid, but 3rd round would amaze me.

Might be a little high, but I'm not counting on him being there for our #117. He's a more complete WR than Skylar Green and Harry Douglas went in the third last year. I think a lot of WRs are going to go off the boards in the first four rounds and a guy like Thomas, who is a plug & play slot and deadly PR, seems like a better gamble than projecting some of the other WRs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2706847 said:
Might be a little high, but I'm not counting on him being there for our #117. He's a more complete WR than Skylar Green and Harry Douglas went in the third last year. I think a lot of WRs are going to go off the boards in the first four rounds and a guy like Thomas, who is a plug & play slot and deadly PR, seems like a better gamble than projecting some of the other WRs.
I just think there will be bias because he is 5'9".

I hope there is. Talk about a return man gem.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Avery;2706832 said:
Arizona making it to the sweet 16 was enough of a miracle (though beating my Utes who should have been a #8 seed and Cleveland State isn't the hardest road).

I like the picks, but I think we'd have to be very fortunate to see Chung and Sidbury drop like that.
Every site I see has Sidbury as a 4th rounder. That is the top of the 4th.

Is he climbing?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Hostile;2706860 said:

Is he climbing?

BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 has him rated as a 3-4 rounder, and has him going in the 3rd to Tennessee at 94.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Hostile;2706860 said:

Is he climbing?

If you believe the draft gurus.....yes.

This time of year is full of misinformation.

Love the mock.....I hope it pans out.

I'd switch and put a DE like Hood or Moala in place of Chung.....maybe even Dorrell Scott in that position.

But it's hard to find fault in that mock.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Would you plug Robinson in at left guard if Kosier gets hurt or even if he doesn't?

From what i've read about Chung hes a slightly faster Roy...I doubt many of us want to sit through that again. I'd think about swapping him (chung) for Michael Hamlin. From what i've read hes one of the better safties when it comes to being a ball hawk, which the team could use imo.

Readin on Sidbury I'm starting to think he'd be a perfect match on the other side of Ware.

Johnson reminds me of Vikings Winfield, decent/ok in coverage but a sure tackler but with better vision (I like Winfield)

No to Bomar. I just dont like him and dont think he will fit our offense. A guy i'd look at is Stephen McGee from Texas A&M. Seen limited time his Sr year but when hes started and played the previouse 3 season hes been steller.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I'd only start whomever wins the battle at LG. I don't care who does, but I would imagine Kosier wouldn't have a prayer of beating Robinson out unless he was injured.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile;2706758 said:
Due to my Arizona Wildcats being absolutely destroyed by Louisville I had to do something to cheer myself up. Nothing cheers me up more than Christmas in April.

So I will attempt to not kill a Mock. This one will encompass my ever changing opinion of what we will do with our 1st pick. I still don't have a great read on that. So I decided that one of my pet cats lands in our laps at Pick #51. What better way to kill the blues?

I am convinced he is an instant starter, solves the problems at LG for the next 10 years. Kosier and Holland become the primary backups and we run all over people. I would trade up in the 2nd to get him if we had to.

3rd round (from Cleveland)...Pick #69...Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon, 5'11", 212. The safeties are falling on the Draft Boards and a little bird tells me he is one of 3 former Day 1 picks who could slide to Day 2. Wishful thinking? maybe a little, but remember this, Jason Witten was a sure fire 1st rounder who went in round 3.

4th round (from Detroit)...Pick #101...Lawrence Sidbury, DE/OLB, Richmond, 6'2", 265. This guy is from a small school but is all about production. 6.5 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss. He never stops coming for the ball. His only negative is the small school, but don't let that stop anyone. I cannot stop thinking he is a steal.

4th round...Pick #117...Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson State, 6'1", 195. Depth at CB is needed and this guy can fly. He didn't fly at the Combine but he will at his pro day. Sub 4.4 speed and a nose for the football.

5th round...Pick #156...Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB, Eastern Michigan 6'1", 245. I know the Cowboys like Beckwith, but I think with the Safeties falling they pass on him and wait on ILB. I am happy because one of my pet cats returns to my Mocks.

5th round (from Tennessee)...Pick #166...Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State, 6'2", 218. It is time to develop some QB depth. A good 3rd string QB who could develop for the future. Talent is not a question. Accepted money from a booster and got expelled. No boosters in the NFL. He is the QB I think best fits our system and has a chance to progress.

5th round (Compensatory)...Pick #172...Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona, 5'9", 187. A big time Punt Return threat who also has guts. Isn't afraid to go over the middle. Not likely to be a star, but can develop into a 3rd WR in the slot. We need to fill that spot. This kid can develop and will push Crayton. A leader.

6th round (from Miami)...Pick #197...Glover Quinn, CB, New Mexico, 5'11", 204. We lost 2 CBs and this guy can be a Scandrick kind of steal. Not as fast, but has great ball instincts. 11 pass breakups and 5 picks along with 53 tackles.

Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky, 6'0", 319. I am not buying the Wade Phillips schtick about Junior Siavi. This guy is too talented not to take a chance on. He can be a PS guy if Siavi really is all that and Wade was right. This is a Chris Canty-like steal. If it weren't for injuries he could be a day 1 pick. Depth who can develop. 11 TFL, 4.5 sacks.

Ryan Delrosal, OT, Dixie State, 6'5", 313. Heck of an athlete. Would you believe a sub 5.00 time in the 40 for a man that big? He did it and is strong too. A project, but good depth.

7th round...Pick #227...Dallas Reynolds, C, BYU, 6'5", 328. Depth across OL is needed badly. Don't even try to argue with me about his name. Fits this team. He is versatile. Can play all 5 OL positions.

Go easy on me, my Wildcats suffered a 39 point whoopin'. Ah, the hell with that, if you hate it, speak your mind.

You know I love the Duke Robinson pick, my draft would almost be made with one pick but if we don't get Robinson I hope and pray we can find a way to land Herman Johnson

I'm not a big Chung fan, as a matter of fact it's probably one of those picks this year I fear the most

Both 4th round picks (Sidbury and Johnson) are brilliant, we can't go wrong there but I think Sidbury will be taken much earlier.

In the 5th round I like the first two picks but while I love Thomas speed and play making ability his size scares me to death.

In the 6th I think we can better then Quinn but Pryor is interesting. Very highly touted played coming out of high school. Injuries slowed his development but like you said, a PS guy who could turn out to be a steal if he can put it all together.

I'm not thrilled about the 7th round. I can live with Reynolds but there should be several OL that are more NFL ready and offer a little more then Delrosal.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Word was that Domonique Johnson didn't just look bad at the combine, he also looked bad facing anyone of the higher quality receiver prospects. Too high to take him in my opinion.

I love the first three picks though.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;2706758 said:

Please, God, let it be so...

You're gonna have to PM me about who the other two are, ol' buddy... :D

Chung doesn't get me too excited, but I don't hate the pick...

Gotta disagree here, Hos... I follow JMU football a little, and they play in a league with a lot of 275 pound offensive linemen... and to tell you the truth, 6.5 sacks isn't all that impressive to me...

I think I'd go with Jason Williams here, instead...

At this point, you've got him going some earlier than most draft websites project, but if he works out like you think he will, he may climb the board... I also read that he transferred from Missouri because his coach there questioned his dedication, and that kind of leaves me cold...

Would you consider Brice McCain here?? He's not as big, but he's even faster, and he most certainly is climbing the boards... Joe Burnett might work here, too...

I like Holtzclaw, but I see him as a 4-3 MLB, and not a really good fit in the 3-4...I'd got with Jason Phillips or Antonio Appleby instead...

Well, if I had my druthers, the Boys wouldn't draft a QB, instead looking at one of a number of intriguing QBs likely to go undrafted... but they might well look at a late QB, and Bomar will do in that case...

Chuckle... you're gonna get your pet cats in, aren't you?? That's OK, I can live with this one, just like I can live with Duke...

If the Cowboys drafted him, I'll bet it would be to play FS... I'd certainly much rather have Brice McCain or Joe Burnett here...

Part of the reason I say that is the Lobos' pass defense was pretty dreadful (70th in the nation)... but if you simply MUST have a Lobo DB, wait until after the draft and go get DeAndre Wright, who was limited by injuries last season...

I'd bet that the Boys draft a NT, but I'm gonna hold out for one of MY pet cats here-- Roy Miller, from Texas... I've watched a lot of Horns football, and he's the real deal... with his recent workout, he's probably gonna fall in this sixth round range...

Bear in mind that Texas was 3rd in the nation in rush defense, and it all started with Roy...

My second choice would be Chris Baker from Hampton-- if he's still on the board here... my third choice would be Ra-Shon Harris from Oregon, but after he ran a sub-4.9 40 at his Pro Day workout, I'm thinking of him as more of a DE...

Perfect, I wouldn't change either one...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2706787 said:
I think we have a major issue at ILB right now......

And DE could be a major issue next year with Spears/Hatcher FA's.

I'm hoping ILB/DE will be our first 2 picks.

I don't think Mike Thomas makes it out of 3.

So you go with Jarett Dillard, Quan Cosby or Johnny Knox instead... the advantage with Thomas is his kick return ability, but the other 3 are every bit the receiver he is, if not a bit better...