To Kill a Mock, 6.0

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Biggems;2706865 said:
BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1 has him rated as a 3-4 rounder, and has him going in the 3rd to Tennessee at 94.

To be honest, I'm not impressed with ol' Walter... I think he bumps his "pet cats" up, more than is reasonable...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Not a bad guess at all.

The one position that concerns me most - beyond Romo or Ware suffering a significant injury - is Flozell Adams. Not sure we can find anyone in this draft or not, without a 1st.

As poorly as he played last year, we may not even have a servicable player as a backup. Doug Free may be no better than Torin Tucker and Rob Petitti. I'm suspicious of him given that Flo was supposedly playing injured, looked awful at times, and yet Free never got any meaningful snaps.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice job Hos...

No FB's or QB's in rounds 2 or 3-- You're learning. :D

The only pick I'm not big on is Chung. I just don't see him being good enough in coverage-- sort of a "Roy Williams-light".

BigBoy63

Reaction score
Another Great mock, robinson, chung, sidbury, bomar, thomas. This mock is awesome if we had this draft i would die.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
On NFLN yesterday, Charlie Casserly was talking Sidbury up as a second rounder and if even speculated that a team late in the first could potentially take him over someone like Larry English.

With teams putting such a high value on pass rushers, he could very well go first day.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2707063 said:
So you go with Jarett Dillard, Quan Cosby or Johnny Knox instead... the advantage with Thomas is his kick return ability, but the other 3 are every bit the receiver he is, if not a bit better...

Cosby can return kicks as well and has shown to be a game changer against top tier talent.

BTW, Bear, you and I both know a big part of the reason UT was so good against the run, was because the Big 12 was a pass happy league this year. I mean, look at what Ohio St. did to them in the first half of the Fiesta Bowl. Still, with that being said, Roy Miller seemed to be the only one in that game making plays to stop the run.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2706758 said:
2nd round...Pick #51...Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma, 6'5", 329. I am convinced he is an instant starter, solves the problems at LG for the next 10 years. Kosier and Holland become the primary backups and we run all over people. I would trade up in the 2nd to get him if we had to.

I'm still not sold on him the way so many in here are. I wont complain too much if we take him, but I wasnt impressed with what I saw of him (or Loadholt) vs Florida, and thats the kind of speed he's going to see every week in the NFL. I actually thought Holland looked pretty good when he finally got to play last yr, and Kosier will be 100% now. I'm not sure drafting a guy that can only play G with our 1st pick is the best way to go.

3rd round (from Cleveland)...Pick #69...Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon, 5'11", 212. The safeties are falling on the Draft Boards and a little bird tells me he is one of 3 former Day 1 picks who could slide to Day 2. Wishful thinking? maybe a little, but remember this, Jason Witten was a sure fire 1st rounder who went in round 3.

I think he'd be a nice addition and I do think this is around the area he will go (late 2nd, early 3rd). I like Rashad Johnson more because of his range and playmaking, but Chung would be a nice add too.

4th round (from Detroit)...Pick #101...Lawrence Sidbury, DE/OLB, Richmond, 6'2", 265. This guy is from a small school but is all about production. 6.5 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss. He never stops coming for the ball. His only negative is the small school, but don't let that stop anyone. I cannot stop thinking he is a steal.

I dont think this kid is going to last this long. I do think if Ellis is traded (and I think he will be) that we'll be adding an OLB at some point though.

4th round...Pick #117...Domonique Johnson, CB, Jackson State, 6'1", 195. Depth at CB is needed and this guy can fly. He didn't fly at the Combine but he will at his pro day. Sub 4.4 speed and a nose for the football.

Might be other guys who'd I take before him.

5th round...Pick #156...Daniel Holtzclaw, ILB, Eastern Michigan 6'1", 245. I know the Cowboys like Beckwith, but I think with the Safeties falling they pass on him and wait on ILB. I am happy because one of my pet cats returns to my Mocks.

Other ILB prospects I like for our scheme a little more than him too, but he isnt a bad pick in the 5th rd.

5th round (from Tennessee)...Pick #166...Rhett Bomar, QB, Sam Houston State, 6'2", 218. It is time to develop some QB depth. A good 3rd string QB who could develop for the future. Talent is not a question. Accepted money from a booster and got expelled. No boosters in the NFL. He is the QB I think best fits our system and has a chance to progress.

I think he may go a little earlier than this, that said I dont think its a definite that we take a QB...and this is a lousy QB draft

5th round (Compensatory)...Pick #172...Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona, 5'9", 187. A big time Punt Return threat who also has guts. Isn't afraid to go over the middle. Not likely to be a star, but can develop into a 3rd WR in the slot. We need to fill that spot. This kid can develop and will push Crayton. A leader.

ok

6th round (from Miami)...Pick #197...Glover Quinn, CB, New Mexico, 5'11", 204. We lost 2 CBs and this guy can be a Scandrick kind of steal. Not as fast, but has great ball instincts. 11 pass breakups and 5 picks along with 53 tackles.

no opinion

6th round (Compensatory)...Pick #208...Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky, 6'0", 319. I am not buying the Wade Phillips schtick about Junior Siavi. This guy is too talented not to take a chance on. He can be a PS guy if Siavi really is all that and Wade was right. This is a Chris Canty-like steal. If it weren't for injuries he could be a day 1 pick. Depth who can develop. 11 TFL, 4.5 sacks.

he was a good player for UK...not a bad late rd add

7th round (from Detroit)...Pick #210...Ryan Delrosal, OT, Dixie State, 6'5", 313. Heck of an athlete. Would you believe a sub 5.00 time in the 40 for a man that big? He did it and is strong too. A project, but good depth.

7th round...Pick #227...Dallas Reynolds, C, BYU, 6'5", 328. Depth across OL is needed badly. Don't even try to argue with me about his name. Fits this team. He is versatile. Can play all 5 OL positions.

no opinions

Rush 2112

Reaction score
silverbear;2707063 said:
So you go with Jarett Dillard, Quan Cosby or Johnny Knox instead... the advantage with Thomas is his kick return ability, but the other 3 are every bit the receiver he is, if not a bit better...

To get to the game any WR we take is going have to shine on ST's.....

And we've needed juice from a PR guy for years.

This team needs a small/quick WR bad IMO.

Unless they think Felix is going to fill that role.

Love to find a way to get Jarron Gilbert, Marcus Freeman and Mike Thomas.

I'll settle for Beckwith if I have to although I'm not a fan.

I'll take Jason Williams if need be at ILB.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Biggems;2706808 said:
I want us to try and trade down in the 2nd and add a 3rd. This mock reflects us being able to do just that.....

2 - OLB Lawrence Sidbury - speed, aggressive, intelligence
3a - OL T.J. Lang - versatile, quick, intelligence
3b - SS Jonathan Casillas - quick, speed, versatile
4a - OT Sebastian Vollmer - power, work ethic
4b - FS Darcel McBath - quick, speed, range
5a - ILB Jason Williams - quick, speed, versatility
5b - DT Roy Miller - power, quick, work ethic
5c - WR Quan Cosby - quick, versatility, intangibles, intelligence
6a - CB Brice McCain - quick, speed, cover ability
6b - OT Lyndon Murtha - power, quick, intelligence
7a - ILB/SS Spencer Adkins - quick, speed, versatility
7b - CB Bradley Fletcher - quick, speed

UDFA
QB Jason Boltus - This year's QB dark horse, I hope we can get him as a UDFA
FB Tony Fiamatta - merely a blocking FB
RB Chris Ogbonnaya - not very productive between the tackles, but excellent in space, especially as a receiver out of the backfield
RB Marlon Lucky - all substance and absolutely no flash, definitely a lunchpail type of player
WR Isaiah Williams - size, speed, and vert (41) make him a sleeper WR for sure, and a great redzone threat)
WR Greg Carr - size makes him a great redzone threat
TE David Johnson - not very tall but still a productive TE, solid blocker
OG Steve Rehring - I believe he is better than he portrayed while playing out of position last season
DT Khalif Mitchell - adequate size for a 3-4 DT
DE Michael Bennett (Marty's Bro) - wouldn't be a bad option for practice squad
DE/OLB Henry Milton - much better on the D side as opposed to RB
S Al Afalava - quick, speed, nice range
CB Wopamo Osaisai - solid in coverage
CB Ryan Palmer - a gamer

I cant believe I put Milton instead of Melton, what kind of UT homer am I, sheesh........

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a side note, I do think folks are discounting Holland and his place on the roster. The guy has started many games in the NFL and looked darn good out there IMO before he was injured.

I guess what I'm saying is that drafting guard in the second or third round may not be the best thing. I don't have a clue on how the team views Doug Free at this point, but a possible left tackle may be a higher need than another guard.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2707290 said:
As a side note, I do think folks are discounting Holland and his place on the roster. The guy has started many games in the NFL and looked darn good out there IMO before he was injured.

I guess what I'm saying is that drafting guard in the second or third round may not be the best thing. I don't have a clue on how the team views Doug Free at this point, but a possible left tackle may be a higher need than another guard.

MW, I have not discounted Holland or Kosier.....IMO, we have 3 guards on the roster. I would feel more comfortable if we had 4. I want Holland and Kosier to duke it out for the starting job. Still, I would like to add an additional G, via the draft. Robinson is the best guard in the draft. I am not high on many of the other guards. However, C Eric Wood can play guard, T.J Lang can play guard. IMO, the name that no one is talking about, but who would be an absolute steal way late in the draft or as a UDFA is Ohio St. OG Steve Rehring. He had a horrible senior year, at T, but when he was at G, he was a beast. I would have no problems with Dallas waiting until the later rounds and going after Rehring.

Now, as far as Free goes......set him Free. Nate says he can't cut it. He is the only voice I have heard on the matter. So Free can leave. I am all for drafting Sebastion Vollmer and Lydon Murtha. I think Vollmer would make an excellent backup for Colombo, while Murtha, with his strength and quickness, would make an excellent backup for Flozell.

That just leaves us with backup C. Now there are 3 players who I want. Eric Wood is of course my favorite. He has great work ethic and studies the game. He is a very smart player. He can also play all 3 interior line positions. There is T.J. Lang, who can play all 5 OL positions, but will most likely play C or G in the NFL. Still, his versatility in invaluable. Another prospect who can play all 5 positions, but will probably end up at C is Dallas Reynolds. Wood is set to go 2-3, Lang 3-4, and Reynolds 6-7.

I have lost favor in Wood, only because he has raised his value way high. I was hoping to steal him with our first pick in the 4th....using our 2 and 3 for the defensive side of the ball. I am starting to lose favor in Lang for the same reason. He is raising his value too high for us to use that 4th on him.

I want these guys for sure
OT Sebastian Vollmer - 4/5
OT Lydon Murtha - 5/6
OG Steve Rehring - 7/UDFA

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Really love a few of the picks but I do not like Duke at 51 unless we also add a Center much earlier than you did.

Gurode needs help setting up the line and that's why Kosier is so valuable.

You really have to replace both guys imho so I am a bigger fan of a 3rd and 4th area for both positions and then set them up to start in 2010. I agree Kosier could be an excellent 6th OL.

Domonique not only didn't blaze at the combine he looked stiff so I think he falls a bit more than you indicate and we could draft him a full round later if not more.

Bomar and Sidbury would be great fits where selected. Sidbury is a day 1 3rd OLB provided Ellis isn't here and Bomar can do everything Romo can physically but probably needs that grooming time as well.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2707290 said:

I agree, which is why I don't think we could pretty much go anywhere with our first pick. I like Duke, but won't be upset if we go a different direction.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
IF Delmas,Smith,Rashad,Barwin, and English are all gone by pick 40 then ya I would pick Duke, but I wouldn't target him.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2707337 said:
Quan Cosby will be a 27 year old rookie.

and? it isnt like he will be getting 1st round money. he is ready to step in and produce right away. if he can give us 4-6 years of service, I will be more than happy.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Biggems;2707400 said:

and I dont want to draft him...too many other guys better and younger than he is

it isnt like he will be getting 1st round money.

doesnt matter..he's at an age where most players are entering their prime, and it isnt a sure thing anybody would get anything out him

he is ready to step in and produce right away.

as what, and ahead of who? He'd be at best the 4th or 5th WR here

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If you could get 6-8 years of productive work out of a guy like Cosby in the 6th or 7th round, it would be worth it.

His age will cause him to drop though.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Biggems;2707400 said:
and? it isnt like he will be getting 1st round money. he is ready to step in and produce right away. if he can give us 4-6 years of service, I will be more than happy.

Didn't UT have a group of WR's who were ready to step into the NFL 3-4 years back?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2707337 said:
Quan Cosby will be a 27 year old rookie.

Which is just about the only reason he's not a 2nd or 3rd round prospect...