To Kill a Mock, 6.0

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Now, as far as Free goes......set him Free. Nate says he can't cut it. He is the only voice I have heard on the matter. So Free can leave. I am all for drafting Sebastion Vollmer and Lydon Murtha. I think Vollmer would make an excellent backup for Colombo, while Murtha, with his strength and quickness, would make an excellent backup for Flozell.

Thats not what i remember Nate saying BigGems, Nate said he liked Doug Free, he had something to him but the player that didnt have it and kept making mistakes at OT was McQuistan. I am for givng Free a shot at unseating Flozell Adams this year. I like Volmer too, seems like a sleeper. I dont know too much about Mutra.

That just leaves us with backup C. Now there are 3 players who I want. Eric Wood is of course my favorite. He has great work ethic and studies the game. He is a very smart player. He can also play all 3 interior line positions. There is T.J. Lang, who can play all 5 OL positions, but will most likely play C or G in the NFL. Still, his versatility in invaluable. Another prospect who can play all 5 positions, but will probably end up at C is Dallas Reynolds. Wood is set to go 2-3, Lang 3-4, and Reynolds 6-7.

I have lost favor in Wood, only because he has raised his value way high. I was hoping to steal him with our first pick in the 4th....using our 2 and 3 for the defensive side of the ball. I am starting to lose favor in Lang for the same reason. He is raising his value too high for us to use that 4th on him.

BigGems, I am thinking more and more that the Cowboys are looking at a center/OG because as we all know Proctor cant cut it, he is a joke. I remember that the Cowboys looked at the top 2 centers for sure. So, I am thinking they want to find a backup G. Wood can do this, play G and Center too. Granted im not fond of drafting him in 2nd round, but if Wood is there or Duke Robinson, I say go get them. We need good backup offensive linemen that can help somewhat in the running game this year.

I want these guys for sure
OT Sebastian Vollmer - 4/5
OT Lydon Murtha - 5/6
OG Steve Rehring - 7/UDFA

Like you said Rehring might be a steal because they moved him from G to T. I wouldnt mind the Cowboys drafting Louis Vasquez in lower rounds he is alittle older too so will drop some in the draft and due to his pass blocking more than run blocking in a passing attack at college.

Bizwah

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2707669 said:
Now, as far as Free goes......set him Free. Nate says he can't cut it. He is the only voice I have heard on the matter. So Free can leave. I am all for drafting Sebastion Vollmer and Lydon Murtha. I think Vollmer would make an excellent backup for Colombo, while Murtha, with his strength and quickness, would make an excellent backup for Flozell.

Thats not what i remember Nate saying BigGems, Nate said he liked Doug Free, he had something to him but the player that didnt have it and kept making mistakes at OT was McQuistan. I am for givng Free a shot at unseating Flozell Adams this year. I like Volmer too, seems like a sleeper. I dont know too much about Mutra.

That just leaves us with backup C. Now there are 3 players who I want. Eric Wood is of course my favorite. He has great work ethic and studies the game. He is a very smart player. He can also play all 3 interior line positions. There is T.J. Lang, who can play all 5 OL positions, but will most likely play C or G in the NFL. Still, his versatility in invaluable. Another prospect who can play all 5 positions, but will probably end up at C is Dallas Reynolds. Wood is set to go 2-3, Lang 3-4, and Reynolds 6-7.

I have lost favor in Wood, only because he has raised his value way high. I was hoping to steal him with our first pick in the 4th....using our 2 and 3 for the defensive side of the ball. I am starting to lose favor in Lang for the same reason. He is raising his value too high for us to use that 4th on him.

BigGems, I am thinking more and more that the Cowboys are looking at a center/OG because as we all know Proctor cant cut it, he is a joke. I remember that the Cowboys looked at the top 2 centers for sure. So, I am thinking they want to find a backup G. Wood can do this, play G and Center too. Granted im not fond of drafting him in 2nd round, but if Wood is there or Duke Robinson, I say go get them. We need good backup offensive linemen that can help somewhat in the running game this year.

I want these guys for sure
OT Sebastian Vollmer - 4/5
OT Lydon Murtha - 5/6
OG Steve Rehring - 7/UDFA

Like you said Rehring might be a steal because they moved him from G to T. I wouldnt mind the Cowboys drafting Louis Vasquez in lower rounds he is alittle older too so will drop some in the draft and due to his pass blocking more than run blocking in a passing attack at college.

You're right about Nate. Besides, what makes him a talent evaluator? If he's that good, then why's he not in the FO.

Agreed on OG and C. I'm really warming to Dallas Reynolds and Louis Vasquez later in the draft.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dbair1967;2707799 said:
riiigghhhttttt

He is a similar prospect to Mike Thomas except older.

He was more productive as a football player and is about the same size.

If you draft Cosby in r6 you are looking for a guy that can give you 4 years. Cosby can do that imho whereas many 6th rounders never make a team. Now he isn't a guy you want to put on the PS for 2 years because he'd be in a walker by the time you got any use out of him but he has a role as a slot guy and return guy. Gil Brandt talked to him about playing OSU and gushed over how smart he was talking about the coverage OSU used on each play late in the game and why he scored the TD to win it.

It wouldn't break my heart if we passed on him but I would also be fine taking him. He has a very good head on his shoulders and will help someone for a while.

Rudy

Reaction score
I like what I've read about Quinn (CB) and I'm just as excited as anyone about Scandrick's progress last year...but I think we should all really hold on till he gets - I don't know, maybe an interception?? before we start calling him a steal.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
PullMyFinger;2707949 said:
Did he go to college late or what? One of those college seniors for 4 years guys?

He tried to play minor league baseball for a few years before going to UT...

Macnalty

Reaction score
I agree with you completely on the team concept of Kosier and Gurode making calls together on the line.

Watch for the OT kid from Oregon Fenuki Tupou he may be the better than any of your guys. Ran across him as I was watching Patrick Chung SS here is what the huddle report says about him:
"Fenuki as a RT or LG makes a lot of sense; as an LT, I'm just not convinced he the athletic talent needed to be successful. In my opinion, his impact position should be as a LG. He does a very good job in pass protection in a limited space and is a devastating run blocker. There is no doubt in my mind that this kid has Pro Bowl Left Guard written all over him. As a pulling guard, Fenuki could be one of the best. He has leadership abilities through his play on the field. He is smart and can help a LT on the inside in pass protection because of his quickness both in space and out of a three point stance. Fenuki makes the players around him better and if he is drafted and plays as a LG, he will be a LT's best friend in both pass blocking and run blocking. If you need a guard that is ready to play the day after you draft him, then you would be very smart to draft Fenuki. I'm call him Fenuki (The Volcano Man) Tupou because when this kid blocks, he erupts into his opponent before they have a chance to react and get out of the way. "

We are hoping for a diamond in the rough with all of our picks, I see Chung/Johnson/Smith(utah)/Moore in the mix for SS, OLB not sure who is going to slip but is apparent someone good is going to be available with 51 just look at the consensus on the talent it is all over the board which means slippage.

WR looks like it may bring the same slippage, have my fingers crossed for Brandon Tate but like the Johnny Know/Jarett Dillard/DJ Moore type pick for returning ST and such. Can anyone add any more names to this position?

I cannot come up with a great feeling for the DL pick and I jealous of the people who have strong convictions about the position it is really hard for me to see any talent where we are choosing.

Like the Rhett Bomar choice as long as it is later in the Draft. I am also rooting for the Txam QB.

Before we pick twice Philly and NYgiants will have picked three times, whatever we do should be well thought out and researched or we are fighting for the cellar. If Philly gets a big running back like Wells and gets Pettigrew TE we better think about retooling how we play the run. Brandon Jacobs is an anomaly now but add two more games with a back his size and I see our defense looking outmatched like against Baltimore and McClain. God it still hurts to remember that game. Hope the team remembers on draft day. We are Dallas, Go Cowboys.

jterrell;2707314 said:
Really love a few of the picks but I do not like Duke at 51 unless we also add a Center much earlier than you did.

Gurode needs help setting up the line and that's why Kosier is so valuable.

You really have to replace both guys imho so I am a bigger fan of a 3rd and 4th area for both positions and then set them up to start in 2010. I agree Kosier could be an excellent 6th OL.

Domonique not only didn't blaze at the combine he looked stiff so I think he falls a bit more than you indicate and we could draft him a full round later if not more.

Bomar and Sidbury would be great fits where selected. Sidbury is a day 1 3rd OLB provided Ellis isn't here and Bomar can do everything Romo can physically but probably needs that grooming time as well.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
jterrell;2707932 said:
He is a similar prospect to Mike Thomas except older.

He was more productive as a football player and is about the same size.

If you draft Cosby in r6 you are looking for a guy that can give you 4 years. Cosby can do that imho whereas many 6th rounders never make a team. Now he isn't a guy you want to put on the PS for 2 years because he'd be in a walker by the time you got any use out of him but he has a role as a slot guy and return guy. Gil Brandt talked to him about playing OSU and gushed over how smart he was talking about the coverage OSU used on each play late in the game and why he scored the TD to win it.

It wouldn't break my heart if we passed on him but I would also be fine taking him. He has a very good head on his shoulders and will help someone for a while.

Quan Cosby was more productive than Mike Thomas?

You sure on that or are you just making stuff up as you go?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2708275 said:

good lord man google before you post:)

Thomas 2008: 74 catches, 826 yards and 4 TDs

Cosby 2008: 92 catches, 1123 yards and 10 TDs

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2708275 said:

I wondered where he got that too. Thomas caught 50+ more passes over his career than Cosby did, caught more tds, had a higher yds per catch and far more production as a return guy. Maybe he was strictly looking at last season

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
dbair1967;2708331 said:
I wondered where he got that too. Thomas caught 50+ more passes over his career than Cosby did, caught more tds, had a higher yds per catch and far more production as a return guy. Maybe he was strictly looking at last season

Cosby was behind Limas Sweed and other UT talent earlier in his career.

Thomas played in the pac 10 for a mid level team.

As to the return stuff Cosby averaged 25 yards per kick off return early in his career when that was what he did. Thomas was a WR only for the first two years of his career with no return duties and didn't ever reach the success on kick off returns Cosby did.

For their careers Cosby was by far the better special teams guy tho Thomas had a better year as a senior showing he can return punts. Although if you look over their careers the punt returns aren't amazingly different. Cosby averaged about what Thomas did and had 1 TD to Thomas' 2. And Cosby ended up with about as many punt returns over 4 years as Thomas did.

Again though Cosby was helping a top 10 team in these years who had major NFL talent all over the field.

Right now Thomas is a better prospect to be sure but that is because of his 5 years more youth. Otherwise these guys are very, very similar.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
jterrell;2708325 said:
good lord man google before you post:)

Thomas 2008: 74 catches, 826 yards and 4 TDs

Cosby 2008: 92 catches, 1123 yards and 10 TDs

Still wrong........

259 catches vs 212

23 TD's vs 19

Rush 2112

Reaction score
jterrell;2708343 said:
Cosby was behind Limas Sweed and other UT talent earlier in his career.

Thomas played in the pac 10 for a mid level team.

As to the return stuff Cosby averaged 25 yards per kick off return early in his career when that was what he did. Thomas was a WR only for the first two years of his career with no return duties and didn't ever reach the success on kick off returns Cosby did.

For their careers Cosby was by far the better special teams guy tho Thomas had a better year as a senior showing he can return punts. Although if you look over their careers the punt returns aren't amazingly different. Cosby averaged about what Thomas did and had 1 TD to Thomas' 2. And Cosby ended up with about as many punt returns over 4 years as Thomas did.

Again though Cosby was helping a top 10 team in these years who had major NFL talent all over the field.

Right now Thomas is a better prospect to be sure but that is because of his 5 years more youth. Otherwise these guys are very, very similar.

Fortunately I have some experience watching the Zimmer defense.

Line your corners up 15 yards off the ball and back pedal like crazy:lmao2: :lmao:

Cosby career KOR = 23.7

Thomas career KOR = 23.4

Let's PRETEND it's a push at PR duty.

Who has been more productive in their careers which was your first comment?

Next, you'll go back to Cosby was playing behind all that NFL talent at UT.

The WR's who shall remain anonymous.....

Limas Sweed and who?

I really do like the "for their careers Cosby was a much better special team player" effort.

Proven to be dead wrong, but nice try.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Rush 2112;2708512 said:
Fortunately I have some experience watching the Zimmer defense.

Line your corners up 15 yards off the ball and back pedal like crazy:lmao2: :lmao:

Cosby career KOR = 23.7

Thomas career KOR = 23.4

Let's PRETEND it's a push at PR duty.

Who has been more productive in their careers which was your first comment?

Next, you'll go back to Cosby was playing behind all that NFL talent at UT.

The WR's who shall remain anonymous.....

Limas Sweed and who?

I really do like the "for their careers Cosby was a much better special team player" effort.

Proven to be dead wrong, but nice try.

Jordan Shipley, David Thomas, Jermichael Finley

Also, In Cosby's first year, he had Vince as his QB. We all know Vince wasn't exactly pass happy. Yes, he had his games where he did well passing, but UT was more of a rushing team with Vince and Charles.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Mike Thomas first 3 years he did very little as far as Punt Returns because Arizona had a guy named Antoine Cason. He started returning Kicks in 2007, but for his career only returned 41 kickoffs. The stat that jumps off the page about their respective Special Teams contributions is as Punt Returners. In his 4 year career Thomas had 5 Fair Catches. Crosby had 5 in just his Freshman year. Oh, he had 35 in his 4 year career. In 2008 Crosby returned 18 Punts. He fair caught 12 of those 18.

In only 1 season as a true Punt Returner Mike Thomas scored on 2 Punt Returns in his 35 career Punt Returns. Crosby only scored once in 4 years of duty and 68 Punt Returns.

Crosby played with a QB who is miles better than Thomas played with.

Age has very little to do with why Thomas is a better Pro prospect. Very little.

The Realist

Reaction score
Hostile;2708814 said:
Mike Thomas first 3 years he did very little as far as Punt Returns because Arizona had a guy named Antoine Cason. He started returning Kicks in 2007, but for his career only returned 41 kickoffs. The stat that jumps off the page about their respective Special Teams contributions is as Punt Returners. In his 4 year career Thomas had 5 Fair Catches. Crosby had 5 in just his Freshman year. Oh, he had 35 in his 4 year career. In 2008 Crosby returned 18 Punts. He fair caught 12 of those 18.

In only 1 season as a true Punt Returner Mike Thomas scored on 2 Punt Returns in his 35 career Punt Returns. Crosby only scored once in 4 years of duty and 68 Punt Returns.

Crosby played with a QB who is miles better than Thomas played with.

Age has very little to do with why Thomas is a better Pro prospect. Very little.

School is over........

Cosby is/has been more productive?

Cosby was a much better special team player?

I think those have been handled now.