To the Jerry haters?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was raised to work and respect my boss.....I was also taught by my father to move on, if I didn't respect my boss. When I became a boss, I fired 26 people in 4 weeks, that's very tough to do, but I hired 26 people to replace them. I respect Jerry, he won us 3 titles, it's not easy to win championships.....some people are very spoiled and have no clue. I wonder how many of you work for a boss that you don't respect? I never did.....
It’s this type of Jethro apologetic sympathetic attitude which continues providing him support without sustained success on the field.

Remember we threw Landry under the bus after 3 consecutive losing seasons . This was after a legendary HOF career .

Jethro deserves credit for the early success bringing in Jimmy. And he deserves the blame for results since. No one should get a pass for life.

Sydla

Reaction score
I

I won 14 championships in my 29 years....it's not easy. I get ticked off when people that have never strapped it on come out and complain....they have no clue

LOL. What?

You don't have to have played football to understand that a 25 year run with 4 TOTAL PLAYOFF WINS isn't good. In what world are fans not supposed to criticize their team and the GM for that kind of run?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no doubt he'll keep it for as long as he wants. That's not the point. You seem perplexed, even bothered, that Jerry gets a lot of criticism. It's clear why he gets criticism. He has run a franchise, with his son, that has what has been a pretty shoddy run for nearly a quarter decade. He made himself the GM and any GM in the entire history of the NFL would get the same criticism he's gotten. Frankly, no GM in the history of the NFL would have lasted as long as Jerry with such paltry postseason results over a 25 year period.

Here's the reality. Jerry made himself the GM. Choices have consequences. In making himself the GM he has opened himself to WAY MORE criticism from fans than other owners who sit in the background and let their GMs do much of the work. He can't reap all the accolades he wants as GM and then not be subjected to the harsh criticism when his teams spit the bit.
So you give him credit for hiring Jimmy and winning us three titles?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with that, but I do respect him. If I owned the team I'd be doing the same.....
There’s a reason the rest of the league hasn’t followed the model Jethro and you are endorsing . But it explains this sympathetic attitude we have from some fans which continue providing him a pass for lack of success on the field.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. What?

You don't have to have played football to understand that a 25 year run with 4 TOTAL PLAYOFF WINS isn't good. In what world are fans not supposed to criticize their team and the GM for that kind of run?
Yeah, you really do...maybe not football, but any sport ot the marching band. It's tough work and not everyone can win....

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s a reason the rest of the league hasn’t followed the model Jethro and you are endorsing . But it explains this sympathetic attitude we have from some fans which continue providing him a pass for lack of success on the field.
They are stupid, cuz Jerry makes more money than any of them because of fans like me and you

Sydla

Reaction score
So you give him credit for hiring Jimmy and winning us three titles?

Absolutely.

But we can't ignore that since Jimmy left and this team has been run solely by Jerry and his son, the results have been really poor. We aren't talking about some short period here. It's been a run of 25 straight seasons without an appearance in a NFC Title game. We have 4 playoff total playoff wins over that period.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely.

But we can't ignore that since Jimmy left and this team has been run solely by Jerry and his son, the results have been really poor. We aren't talking about some short period here. It's been a run of 25 straight seasons without an appearance in a NFC Title game. We have 4 playoff total playoff wins over that period.
You are right.....I will admit that

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have no doubt he'll keep it for as long as he wants. That's not the point. You seem perplexed, even bothered, that Jerry gets a lot of criticism. It's clear why he gets criticism. He has run a franchise, with his son, that has what has been a pretty shoddy run for nearly a quarter decade. He made himself the GM and any GM in the entire history of the NFL would get the same criticism he's gotten. Frankly, no GM in the history of the NFL would have lasted as long as Jerry with such paltry postseason results over a 25 year period.

Here's the reality. Jerry made himself the GM. Choices have consequences. In making himself the GM he has opened himself to WAY MORE criticism from fans than other owners who sit in the background and let their GMs do much of the work. He can't reap all the accolades he wants as GM and then not be subjected to the harsh criticism when his teams spit the bit.

You seem to be tying disrespect and criticism together. GMs who don't go a good job deserve criticism. It's bizarre to argue otherwise and try to make it out to be disrespectful of Jerry.
Well said.
Jerry gets most of his criticism from his role as GM
And not as an owner.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, you really do...maybe not football, but any sport ot the marching band. It's tough work and not everyone can win....

This is pretty ridiculous. 4 PLAYOFF WINS IN 25 YEARS. That ranks in the bottom quarter of all NFL teams over that period.

That's not bad luck or indicative of how tough it is to win. It's indicative of the fact that the team has not been run all that well since Jimmy left.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are right.....I will admit that

But that's the point here. People criticize Jerry because he made himself the sole GM after Jimmy was gone. He took on the mantle of building the team himself and not bringing in another guy like Jimmy to help him build a team. So when a team then goes on a run for 25 years with 4 playoff wins, how in the world are people not supposed to criticize the GM who has build the teams over those 25 years?

Again, it's not about disrespect. It's about simply looking at the job the GM has done. And in this case, for a quarter century, the GM hasn't done a very good job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I

I won 14 championships in my 29 years....it's not easy. I get ticked off when people that have never strapped it on come out and complain....they have no clue
Apparently JJ no longer has a clue. Isn’t it possible that the game passes people by eventually. My all time favorite coach was Tom Landry. One of the truly great and innovative HCs in football history. But by 1989, even he was no longer what he once was. Everyone of us eventually are no longer effective.

Jerry is 78. The way he won in the 90s (when he was in his late 40s and early 50s) was by hiring a strong HC who could balance him. In order for Jerry to have success, he needed a Jimmy Johnson type coach who was tough and in charge. When Jimmy got credit for all he accomplished in Dallas Jerry was jealous and angry. That jealousy and frustration has hamstrung him for decades now. Instead of recognizing his success was tied to hiring someone who could balance his own weaknesses, he wants to be perceived as the one who really did all himself. He’s done this to himself. His glory days were always tied to a shared leadership. And he still refuses to recognize that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t until he’s 88. He’s still going to be the best GM for the Cowboys. Yeeeehawwwww.. lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Apparently JJ no longer has a clue. Isn’t it possible that the game passes people by eventually. My all time favorite coach was Tom Landry. One of the truly great and innovative HCs in football history. But by 1989, even he was no longer what he once was. Everyone of us eventually are no longer effective.

Jerry is 78. The way he won in the 90s (when he was in his late 40s and early 50s) was by hiring a strong HC who could balance him. In order for Jerry to have success, he needed a Jimmy Johnson type coach who was tough and in charge. When Jimmy got credit for all he accomplished in Dallas Jerry was jealous and angry. That jealousy and frustration has hamstrung him for decades now. Instead of recognizing his success was tied to hiring someone who could balance his own weaknesses, he wants to be perceived as the one who really did all himself. He’s done this to himself. His glory days were always tied to a shared leadership. And he still refuses to recognize that.
He’s tried sharing the credit. But that wasn’t enough winning back to back championships.

He must be the face of the Cowboys. For better or worse . Regardless if it’s not what’s best for football operations. Because he’s not interested if he isn’t the man. Screw him!!!

That’s the man not just the businessman.

Loso86

Reaction score
I was raised to work and respect my boss.....I was also taught by my father to move on, if I didn't respect my boss. When I became a boss, I fired 26 people in 4 weeks, that's very tough to do, but I hired 26 people to replace them. I respect Jerry, he won us 3 titles, it's not easy to win championships.....some people are very spoiled and have no clue. I wonder how many of you work for a boss that you don't respect? I never did.....
Been saying this for years. He could win 3 more in a row and it wouldn't be enough for some of these guys and gals!