Today in Contrarianism: What Y'all Whining About?

Big_D

Reaction score
Some fans still vehemently defend the status quo.

Like it makes a difference if you go position by position and then compare it to last year? Other teams are improving or at least making the effort. You just know they're going to fall short at some point and you would think management would be under the gun a little.. nope!! that's the problem here!

Eanwen

Reaction score
In the OP's defense we do have a lot of talent: Zeke, Cooper, Zach, etc. The thing is though they weren't good enough to make it to the SB last year, IMO we are only about 5 players away from being a legit contender, but we can't expect to draft 5 guys who will play at near pro bowl level in their rookie year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
In the NFL, you are either moving forward or you are moving backward...…..there is no staying the same.

Can anybody that is not a delusional homer say with a straight face that this team, as currently constructed, is better?

Of course not...……….now before the Garrett jock riders all start saying "the offseason is not over yet". Keep in mind that most of the quality free agents have signed in the positions we have the greatest need. For example at safety, there have been 9 safeties signed in free agency so far, so the pickings are now slim. So that leaves the draft, and the problem there is no first round pick. So that means we have to really hit on almost all our picks to significantly improve. That leaves very little room for error.

So unless McClay really nails this draft, it is looking more and more likely that the team this year is not going to be as good as the team we had last year. That is why you are seeing a lot more frustration and quite frankly, anger, from a large number of fans right now.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hope I'm wrong, but I think you're right. My guess is Moore will be bowing down and worshipping at the altar of Garrett. :bow:
Which means same 'ol same 'ol.

Linehan is worse than Garrett. And I've always criticized Garrett at OC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the NFL, you are either moving forward or you are moving backward...…..there is no staying the same.

Can anybody that is not a delusional homer say with a straight face that this team, as currently constructed, is better?

Of course not...……….now before the Garrett jock riders all start saying "the offseason is not over yet". Keep in mind that most of the quality free agents have signed in the positions we have the greatest need. For example at safety, there have been 9 safeties signed in free agency so far, so the pickings are now slim. So that leaves the draft, and the problem there is no first round pick. So that means we have to really hit on almost all our picks to significantly improve. That leaves very little room for error.

So unless McClay really nails this draft, it is looking more and more likely that the team this year is not going to be as good as the team we had last year. That is why you are seeing a lot more frustration and quite frankly, anger, from a large number of fans right now.

Why would the team be worse ? Losing Beasley?

JustChip

Reaction score
I responded to BobHaze talking about filling holes on the roster, and once I started thinking about it, they're few and far between.

DE - up in the air, but we've had worse, and we'll live. We sign Lawrence, or we don't. If we do, we're fine. If we don't, we'll have a stack of money to spend on a couple of rushmen to go with Crawford, Taco, and Armstrong. In both cases, everyone's favorite stoner may still come back.
DT - Collins, Woods, Ross. Really not bad. Last year we were worried about having our 1T *starter*. Marinelli will probably squeeze another rushman out of a rock. I don't see a Pro Bowler, but I don't see Nick Hayden starting, or Ash as a backup.
LB - Are you kidding?
DB - Everybody is back. "Wah wah wah, I wanna better S." Woods should be better this year. Frazier too. Live it up. If you're good, maybe you'll get another in the draft.

QB - All back.
RB - Rod Smith gone. Will we survive?
TE - Witten for Swaim, with the JV squad all back a year older and year better.
WR - Cooper and Gallup should just be better this year with Dak. Our starters will be better. Williams, Austin, Beasley gone. In terms of actual use last year, it's only Beasley we're losing. They picked up the option on Hurns, but that's not guaranteed, so it's just a lottery ticket you don't throw away. Then Hurns, Wilson, Brown. Devin Smith was actually a 2nd round pick. We'll see. Don't sleep on Hurns. He wasn't getting targeted, but somewhere maybe around game 7 a switch flipped and he was very effective and productive per target. Maybe it will scale.
TE - Swaim out, Witten in, the JV squad a year older and better.
Oline - Fredbeard back. No one leaves. The deepest since the 90s. We've actually got *too many* decent interior guys. Looney, SuaFilo, Redmond, Ehinger. With Frederick back, and Williams at LG, it's first round talent across the board.

ST - We'll bring in a guy to compete with Maher. The search for a reliable kicker returns.

Let the joyous news be spread - LINEHAN IS GONE!

And this is all before we've really brought anyone in, or got our draft picks.

I'm with you on Hurns. I don't get the negativity about him by so many. I went to every home game save one and there were plays to be made the whole season. For whatever reason, maybe just a lack of familiarity with Dak, but he didn't look at him when the play was there.

One in particular, I think it was the 1st Giants game, it was 3rd and 8, Gallup was wide left and Hurns was in a bunch left. It was obvious Hurns was going to be open based on the defensive alignment and he was. He was completely by himself in the middle for the 1st down. Dak never looked that way and ended up going deep right to Gallup on the sideline that was incomplete. And please, this isn't a Dak suck comment, but a statement of fact. Too many simply look at the number of catches by Hurns and make the leap that he sucks when that is not the case. He's not a #1, but he's quite good which is why the team is keeping him. His injury though is the wild-card at this point.

kevm3

Reaction score
Let's do more sunshine pumping after nearly a quarter century of disappointment. Maybe the same loser decision making process will magically produce results that it hasn't in nearly 25 years. Other teams have actively taken steps to get better while we're sitting doing nothing. We are pretty much expecting a draft with no 1st rounder and Kellen Moore to take us to the promised land. What are we saving all of this money for? We're STILL losing, FAs are STILL walking... we haven't even signed Lawrence to a long term deal.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm with you on Hurns. I don't get the negativity about him by so many. I went to every home game save one and there were plays to be made the whole season. For whatever reason, maybe just a lack of familiarity with Dak, but he didn't look at him when the play was there.

One in particular, I think it was the 1st Giants game, it was 3rd and 8, Gallup was wide left and Hurns was in a bunch left. It was obvious Hurns was going to be open based on the defensive alignment and he was. He was completely by himself in the middle for the 1st down. Dak never looked that way and ended up going deep right to Gallup on the sideline that was incomplete. And please, this isn't a Dak suck comment, but a statement of fact. Too many simply look at the number of catches by Hurns and make the leap that he sucks when that is not the case. He's not a #1, but he's quite good which is why the team is keeping him. His injury though is the wild-card at this point.

Dak throws short and along the sidelines. In the middle with any depth, not so much.

Game 6 before the bye, Hurns had his best game, and while he never got as many targets again, the productions per target stayed high.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Who are you going to sign? By the time it is decided we are not going to sign Lawrence (if we don't) there is only going to be a bunch of garbage players left. If we don't sign Lawrence then our d-line is worst in the league again.
Lawrence is going to be a starting member of the Dallas Cowboy. Relax.