Today In Strangeness

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
...yes the mighty comma can make or break not only the structure of a sentence...but the very meaning of it!...
ohmy.png
fascinating

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
My grandmother's name was Ida, short for Independence. She was born on the 4th July AND died on the 4th July....in her sleep.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 5th...

While July 4th is celebrated as the birth of America, July 5th boasts a somewhat dubious birthday: Spam.
On this date in 1937, Hormel Foods introduced the unique meat product to the world. The curious food with
the strange name went on to acquire cult status, inspiring a Monty Python sketch and musical, Spamalot, a
book of haikus about Spam, and not one, but two festivals devoted to celebrating the product.

Y80KZrT.jpg
I LOVE Spam

Them

Reaction score
New photo may prove Amelia Earhart was captured by the Japanese:

A photograph discovered in the U.S. National Archives may add weight to the theory that Amelia Earhart
survived a landing in the Marshall Islands and was taken captive by the Japanese.
The photo shows a picture of a woman who appears to be Amelia Earhart and a man that looks like her co-pilot,
Fred Noonan, after their crash, according to a History Channel special dubbed "Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence,"
which airs Sunday July 9th. The photo and other details that point to Earhart's capture by the Japanese are
detailed in the two-hour special!

The show features former FBI Executive Assistant Director Shawn Henry as he investigates evidence supporting the
theory that Earhart crash-landed in the Marshall Islands and eventually died in Japanese custody on the island of Saipan.

Could this be another government cover-up?...was Amelia truly a newly recruited government spy!??...and end the end
did the U.S. government abandoned her to her fate, while telling "everyone" that she vanished "Without a Trace!!?
zN8pHIY.jpg

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 6th...

Known as 'The Day the Clowns Cried ,' the worst tragedy in the annals of circus history occurred on July 6, 1944.
168 were killed and many more injured when the Big Tent became engulfed in flames during a performance of the
Ringling Brothers Circus in Hartford, CT. On this day in 1947, the assault rifle AK-47 went into production in the
Soviet Union. 70 years later it remains a standard weapon for many armies, drug traffickers and terrorists worldwide.
DVsiH8c.jpg

...also...(and on a further note:)...

Breakthrough Earhart Clue Found?

A newly-discovered photograph found tucked away in the National Archives may be a breakthrough clue in the mystery of
Amelia Earhart's fate. The famed aviatrix and her navigator Fred Noonan famously vanished while attempting to fly around
the world in 1937. With the 80th anniversary of their disappearance having recently come to pass, a rather remarkable
development in the case has just been revealed and it may confirm the longstanding theory that the pair survived their flight
and were captured by the Japanese.
NewEarhartPhotoNL.jpg

Them

Reaction score
...I just noticed it today, but if you look at the Earhart pic in post #125...if you enlarge the pic...and look towards the far right of the pic...you can see a plane in the water, and on the bow of the ship there is the long boom of a crane...probably used to bring the plane on board the freighter while Earhart and company dried out on the dock....and before being turned over to the Japanese military!?...:omg:

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 7th...

On July 7, 1948 photos of an alleged alien, nicknamed 'Tomato Man ,' were taken at a UFO crash site in the Mexican state of
Nuevo Leon. On this date in 1928, the Chillicothe Baking Company announced "the greatest forward step in the baking industry
since bread was wrapped" - sliced bread. Hold the tomato, please.
p6kVR8T.jpg

...also...

Weird Worm Astounds Hiker:

A man hiking in Malaysia was mystified when he spotted a truly strange-looking creature slithering on the ground at his feet.
The unsettling encounter occurred when Danish Ho was out exploring with his family and they noticed the odd animal which sports
a head similar to a hammerhead shark. He managed to snag some footage of the beast and, as he filmed it, wondered aloud, "what
sort of snake is this?" No doubt due to the sheer weirdness of the creature, Ho's video quickly went viral and, soon afterward,
the mystery was solved. According to astute viewers, the slimy star of the video is, in fact, a worm and not a snake.
Specifically and appropriately, the creature is known as a 'hammerhead worm' and boasts a reputation as monstrous as its appearance.
Scientifically dubbed a 'bipalium,' the hammerhead uses slime to ensnare its victims and then, once the prey is immobilized, the
creature extracts their bodily fluids for sustenance. Fortunately, it's unlikely that you'll encounter one of the creatures anytime
soon as they are rarely seen in the United States or Europe because they considered an invasive species capable of wreaking havoc
of ecosystems.
fNoR3Jg.jpg

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 10th...

Happy Birthday, Nikola Tesla -- the pioneering inventor, electrical engineer, and scientist was born 159 years ago in what is
now Croatia. It was on this date in 1913 that the highest temperature was recorded in the United States, a sizzling 134 °F
in Death Valley.
( On a side note, I thoughly enjoyed the mini-series about Albert Enstein in the Ron Howard production of "Genius."...I'm hoping
that the genius Nikola Tesla is eventually included in the series...He is one of my favorites!)
V9kE8ss.jpg

WLfeo32.jpg

...also...

Cops in England Cry Foul Over Crop Circles:

With England's crop circle season in full bloom, authorities say they've seen an increase in the enigmatic formations
so far this year and they're not too thrilled about it. In a statement issued by police in the county of Wiltshire,
they lament that while the creations may appear to be rather wondrous to onlookers, the formations can cause a considerable
amount of financial damage to farmers due to lost crops. Additionally, property owners are also forced to endure an onslaught
of curious visitors coming to their farm to see the formation and subsequently damaging even more crops.
CUHWxH2.jpg

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 11th...

30 years ago, today was "Five Billion Day," the approximate date on which the world's population reached five billion people.
The population is now at 7.5 billion. On this date in 1979, the American space laboratory Skylab tumbled down to Earth, scattering
debris over the Indian Ocean and sparsely populated Western Australia.
1SApWhE.jpg

Dg9vRdo.jpg

...also...

Giant 'Alien Prints' Trouble Indian Village:

In a bizarre story out of India, residents of a village there are living in fear following the discovery of
dozens of giant 'alien footprints.' The strange marking were found on Sunday morning after villagers reportedly
heard something breathing heavily and lurking in their backyards during the night. When they went out to investigate
the situation in the light of day, they were amazed to see between twenty and thirty massive footprints that they
could not identify as coming from any known animal.

One villager speculated that the footprints indicated that the creature that created them possessed a stride of up
to three feet. Unfortunately, word quickly spread throughout nearby communities and the village was swamped with curious
observers who wound up obliterating the prints. This is particularly disappointing to paranormal enthusiasts as it seems
that only one photo of the prints has emerged so far (seen above) and it is decidedly hard to decipher. Nevertheless, those
who live in the village are on edge and worried that the source of the tracks will come back to their community.
"Women and children are remaining indoors, fearing the alien," one resident told the New Indian Express.
tiLGlYR.jpg

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 12th...

It was on this day in 1844 that the mellifluous blast of the foghorn first sounded.
...Tabitha, a stowaway cat, was recovered in a Tower Air luggage crawlspace after 12 days and
32,000 miles of free flight ('94)... Happy birthday to Etch a Sketch ! The classic art tool/toy first
went on sale 57 years ago.
h20TCk3.jpg

(...I actually had one of these contraptions many moons ago!...of course my "pictures" were more like something Hellen Keller might have produced.....yep!... I had no talent whatsoever!...
mellow.png

...also...

Pop Star Reveals UFO Sighting:
Singer-songwriter Kesha claims that a dramatic UFO sighting in the California desert served as the inspiration for her forthcoming
album. During a recent radio interview, the colorful artist known for the hit songs 'Tik Tok' and 'Timber,' revealed the remarkable
encounter which she says took place at Joshua Tree National Park. During her visit to the popular site, Kesha recalled, she was
stunned when she looked up in the sky and spotted "a bunch of spaceships."

According to the pop star, there were five to seven "little balls of fire in the sky" that left her mystified and wondering what she
was seeing. After initially thinking that they might have been fires on a nearby mountain, Kesha subsequently came to believe that
they were UFOs after the lights disappeared and then reappeared in a different formation. The singer stressed that the was totally sober
when the encounter unfolded ("ppffftt...Yeah right!") and said that she even looked online later to see if there was some explanation for the sighting, but found nothing of note.

And, echoing a sentiment expressed by many a UFO witness, Kesha observed, "I don't know why I didn't try to take a picture of it.
I just looked at it." Since that experience, Kesha said, she has incorporated a number of UFO themes into her new work, specifically
various craft depicted on the cover of her album and even a song titled 'Spaceship.'

Of course, the singer's story is just latest in a long line of prominent musicians who have allegedly encountered UFOs,
including John Lennon and Elvis Presley.
KeshaUFONL.jpg

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 13th...

On this date in 1923, the Hollywood Sign was dedicated in Los Angeles. Originally built as an advertisement
for the "Hollywoodland" housing community, the landmark has since become an icon of the entertainment industry.
Over the years, the sign was subject to a conspiracy to steal its letters, the deterioration and loss of the "H"
and two "O's", and, ultimately, adoption by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which dropped the "land" portion
of the sign.
...Original...
RPbdgv1.jpg

...After...
xsVJWGw.jpg

...also...

Satanic Monument Allowed in MN:

A Veterans Memorial Park in Minnesota will soon sport a controversial addition in the form of a Satanic monument! The small town of Belle Plaine has agreed to allow a group of Satanists to place the monument in the park as part of a 'free speech zone.' Since the area already features a soldier praying over a cross, the Satanic Temple of Salem, Massachusetts seized on the opportunity to express their religious views via a monument of their making.
MI5NaFH.jpg

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness July 14th...

Though technically still legal tender, the United States withdrew the large denomination bills of $500, $1,000, $5,000,
and $10,000 from circulation on July 14, 1969.
On this date in 2003, the US government finally admitted the existence of Area 51.
SHBvsge.jpg

...Area 51/Nevada USA...
JdM5iaF.jpg

...extra...

Dad's Haunted Doll Collection Spooks Family:

A family in England have found their home invaded by some eerie new housemates thanks to their father's penchant for
collecting haunted dolls! Since last November, Barry Collingswood has been acquiring the creepy toys with remarkable
dedication and, so far, owns more than 30 potentially possessed dolls. As one can imagine, his wife and children are not
too thrilled with the odd hobby, which they tried to thwart from the very beginning.
3Skm4nd.jpg

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 12th...

It was on this day in 1844 that the mellifluous blast of the foghorn first sounded.
...Tabitha, a stowaway cat, was recovered in a Tower Air luggage crawlspace after 12 days and
32,000 miles of free flight ('94)... Happy birthday to Etch a Sketch ! The classic art tool/toy first
went on sale 57 years ago.
h20TCk3.jpg

(...I actually had one of these contraptions many moons ago!...of course my "pictures" were more like something Hellen Keller might have produced.....yep!... I had no talent whatsoever!...
mellow.png

...also...

Pop Star Reveals UFO Sighting:
Singer-songwriter Kesha claims that a dramatic UFO sighting in the California desert served as the inspiration for her forthcoming
album. During a recent radio interview, the colorful artist known for the hit songs 'Tik Tok' and 'Timber,' revealed the remarkable
encounter which she says took place at Joshua Tree National Park. During her visit to the popular site, Kesha recalled, she was
stunned when she looked up in the sky and spotted "a bunch of spaceships."

According to the pop star, there were five to seven "little balls of fire in the sky" that left her mystified and wondering what she
was seeing. After initially thinking that they might have been fires on a nearby mountain, Kesha subsequently came to believe that
they were UFOs after the lights disappeared and then reappeared in a different formation. The singer stressed that the was totally sober
when the encounter unfolded ("ppffftt...Yeah right!") and said that she even looked online later to see if there was some explanation for the sighting, but found nothing of note.

And, echoing a sentiment expressed by many a UFO witness, Kesha observed, "I don't know why I didn't try to take a picture of it.
I just looked at it." Since that experience, Kesha said, she has incorporated a number of UFO themes into her new work, specifically
various craft depicted on the cover of her album and even a song titled 'Spaceship.'

Of course, the singer's story is just latest in a long line of prominent musicians who have allegedly encountered UFOs,
including John Lennon and Elvis Presley.
KeshaUFONL.jpg
You can add Snake Plissken to that list also, Kurt was flying his prop Cessna into phoenix sky harbor and filed a report

Them

Reaction score
Today in Strangeness: July 17th...

On this date in 1938,"Wrong Way Corrigan" took off from New York, purportedly
aiming for California and landing in Ireland. Disneyland first opened it's doors
in Anaheim, Calif in 1955. And in 1975, The American Apollo and Soviet Soyuz spacecraft
linked up for the first time.
HHP5hER.jpg

EgACpD2.jpg

...also...I have nothing else today....and, yes I know it's Strange!...:omg:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cops in England Cry Foul Over Crop Circles:

With England's crop circle season in full bloom, authorities say they've seen an increase in the enigmatic formations
CUHWxH2.jpg
[/QUOTE]
This is fascinating. These circles have been seen all over the world for quite sometime now, but yet not one witness to have seen one being made has come forward.