Twitter: Todd Archer: Cowboys need to change their thinking about contract extensions

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As new contracts for Lamb, Parsons and probably Dak lay ahead, this front office never seems to learn from their past mistakes. Delaying signing guys like Lamb and Parsons costs more in the long run. Unless you plan on trading them for picks, which we all know they don’t.

Their inaction with these players is just stupid. In the modern cap era, waiting and doing nothing is almost always a stupid move.

If the Cowboys don’t want to pay Cedee Lamb what he deserves, and that will be - at minimum - $30 mil a year right now, then trade him while his value is high. He isn’t going to get cheaper. Same with Parsons. He’s going to get more expensive, not less. Waiting is losing. With Dak, they waited two years in signing him, then caved for more money than they would have paid originally.

This is not “3 dimensional chess”. This is cap stupidity. Over and over.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Haze this may sound dumb, maybe they just want to get a "hard" number of where to start negotiations. I can see them saying something weird like this

Trendnet

Reaction score

As new contracts for Lamb, Parsons and probably Dak lay ahead, this front office never seems to learn from their past mistakes. Delaying signing guys like Lamb and Parsons costs more in the long run. Unless you plan on trading them for picks, which we all know they don’t.

Their inaction with these players is just stupid. In the modern cap era, waiting and doing nothing is almost always a stupid move.

If the Cowboys don’t want to pay Cedee Lamb what he deserves, and that will be - at minimum - $30 mil a year right now, then trade him while his value is high. He isn’t going to get cheaper. Same with Parsons. He’s going to get more expensive, not less. Waiting is losing. With Dak, they waited two years in signing him, then caved for more money than they would have paid originally.

The problem with myopic takes like this, it presupposes that Lamb and Parsons would have signed for less earlier.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

You expect these amateur wanna be football men to act like professionals ?
Throw in a little nepotism and its not hard to see why we cant sniff a NFCCG in 28 years and counting.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haze this may sound dumb, maybe they just want to get a "hard" number of where to start negotiations. I can see them saying something weird like this
What amazes me is Jerry is a brilliant businessman. Could sell sand in the desert. But when it comes to strategic cap management, he and his #1 son are clearly not good at strategic cap management that leads to playoff wins.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with myopic takes like this, it presupposes that Lamb and Parsons would have signed for less earlier.
I disagree. It makes clear that a player like Lamb, who led the league in receptions last year is not going to go down in value. The market has already been set. DaVante Adams got $28 mil year last year so there is no way Lamb will get even that- he will get more.

It makes zero sense to not sign a guy you want long term unless you just don’t want to pay a WR that much. Btw, I’m not that big on paying any WR that much but Jerry loves his WRs so I will be shocked if he doesn’t sign Lamb. But waiting means it will cost more.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

All three want record breaking contracts. You are not signing any of them to quick offseason extensions like Allen and Devonte Smith.

kskboys

Reaction score
What amazes me is Jerry is a brilliant businessman. Could sell sand in the desert. But when it comes to strategic cap management, he and his #1 son are clearly not good at strategic cap management that leads to playoff wins.
Just because a guy can build a house it does not follow that he can be a rocket scientist.

It's quite simply a very different skillset.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I disagree. It makes clear that a player like Lamb, who led the league in receptions last year is not going to go down in value. The market has already been set. DaVante Adams got $28 mil year last year so there is no way Lamb will get even that- he will get more.

It makes zero sense to not sign a guy you want long term unless you just don’t want to pay a WR that much. Btw, I’m not that big on paying any WR that much but Jerry loves his WRs so I will be shocked if he doesn’t sign Lamb. But waiting means it will cost more.
CeeDee is watching Jefferson. He was never going to sign early. CeeDee might be looking at quarterback money. Supposedly Jefferson turned down 30 million a season from Minnesota.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You expect these amateur wanna be football men to act like professionals ?
Throw in a little nepotism and its not hard to see why we cant sniff a NFCCG in 28 years and counting.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
It’s funny the only one qualified for their job is actually good at it. Charlotte.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
maybe their time has past them