Twitter: Todd Archer: Cowboys need to change their thinking about contract extensions

Brax

Reaction score

As new contracts for Lamb, Parsons and probably Dak lay ahead, this front office never seems to learn from their past mistakes. Delaying signing guys like Lamb and Parsons costs more in the long run. Unless you plan on trading them for picks, which we all know they don’t.

Their inaction with these players is just stupid. In the modern cap era, waiting and doing nothing is almost always a stupid move.

If the Cowboys don’t want to pay Cedee Lamb what he deserves, and that will be - at minimum - $30 mil a year right now, then trade him while his value is high. He isn’t going to get cheaper. Same with Parsons. He’s going to get more expensive, not less. Waiting is losing. With Dak, they waited two years in signing him, then caved for more money than they would have paid originally.

This is not “3 dimensional chess”. This is cap stupidity. Over and over.

Dak wouldn’t sign for the offer given and Jerry signed a dumb contract after the injury. Trade Lamb for draft capital extend MP and build the D, let Dak walk or tell him he’s not in their future plans and he’s welcome to look at trade options. Something drastic has to be done at this point as the formula of putting players around Dak has produced nothing. Give MM the chance to prove he can do something other than talk about how he knows how to win. Now is the time for bold thinking and not more of the same hoping and wishing different results from the same core players especially at the price they will want

Brax

Reaction score
I disagree. It makes clear that a player like Lamb, who led the league in receptions last year is not going to go down in value. The market has already been set. DaVante Adams got $28 mil year last year so there is no way Lamb will get even that- he will get more.

It makes zero sense to not sign a guy you want long term unless you just don’t want to pay a WR that much. Btw, I’m not that big on paying any WR that much but Jerry loves his WRs so I will be shocked if he doesn’t sign Lamb. But waiting means it will cost more.
Bob if it’s you would you sign now or wait and see the market as price increases every year, any agent worth his salt isn’t agreeing to anything less that resetting the market.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

As new contracts for Lamb, Parsons and probably Dak lay ahead, this front office never seems to learn from their past mistakes. Delaying signing guys like Lamb and Parsons costs more in the long run. Unless you plan on trading them for picks, which we all know they don’t.

Their inaction with these players is just stupid. In the modern cap era, waiting and doing nothing is almost always a stupid move.

If the Cowboys don’t want to pay Cedee Lamb what he deserves, and that will be - at minimum - $30 mil a year right now, then trade him while his value is high. He isn’t going to get cheaper. Same with Parsons. He’s going to get more expensive, not less. Waiting is losing. With Dak, they waited two years in signing him, then caved for more money than they would have paid originally.

This is not “3 dimensional chess”. This is cap stupidity. Over and over.

It is a "unique advantage".

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They need to change their thinking regarding nepotism and critical personnel roles with the franchise.

75boyz

Reaction score
My response would be "IF we had a capable and aggressive football minded GM" to max out for draft capital on all 3 of Dak, Micah and Cee Dee's contracts.

Let's go ahead and totally build it back up in 1989 Herschel Walker trade fashion.

So this response just further supports your earlier post of Bold strategy of building the roster, Bob.

Then we just need a capable GM and a Jimmy clone to make it all happen.

And then I wake up.
Lol

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Bob if it’s you would you sign now or wait and see the market as price increases every year, any agent worth his salt isn’t agreeing to anything less that resetting the market.
Any player that wants to reset the market, is not trying to help the team win, and should be immediately traded.

It should be as simple as that, and if the are truly that good, you should get a kings ransom in draft picks, and apparently that is all we are good at anyways.

Sounds like a win-win.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This franchise is like 10-15 years behind what really GOOD franchises are doing.

Change their thinking about contract extensions? That's probably number 3-5 on a LONG list of things they need to "change their thinking" on
Jerry is more focused on what building he is going to build next.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Still hoping the NFL will step in with a "conflict of interest" rule to put a stop to Jerry's nepotism.
The Rooney's and the Mara's have been running things (without being menaces) for decades and they are NFL royalty.

They even collaborated to make two pretty good looking daughters (Kate and Rooney Mara)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I disagree. It makes clear that a player like Lamb, who led the league in receptions last year is not going to go down in value. The market has already been set. DaVante Adams got $28 mil year last year so there is no way Lamb will get even that- he will get more.

It makes zero sense to not sign a guy you want long term unless you just don’t want to pay a WR that much. Btw, I’m not that big on paying any WR that much but Jerry loves his WRs so I will be shocked if he doesn’t sign Lamb. But waiting means it will cost more.
I think what @Trendnet is getting at is that Parsons and Lamb may not want to come to the table yet. Lamb may be ready soon, but, it wouldn't have made sense for him to do it prior to this offseason

sunalsorises

Reaction score
What amazes me is Jerry is a brilliant businessman. Could sell sand in the desert. But when it comes to strategic cap management, he and his #1 son are clearly not good at strategic cap management that leads to playoff wins.
I question the brilliance of Jerry Jones as a businessman. Jerry was a wildcatter who hit a huge number of wells in a row to start his fortune. That's more luck than business acumen. Once someone has a fortune it is easy to grow it as long as that person doesn't blow it all on stupid things. NFL franchises are a solid investment that even an idiot like Dan Snyder can't ruin.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well after 35 years they should not be amateurs.
Should not be , but they are...
They make worse decisions than amateurs actually.
9.5 years of Garrett would not have happened on any other NFL Team except maybe the Bengals.
Until the Jones are out of power, this team is going to flounder, as they have for 28 years.