Todd Archer: Our 2024 Cowboys Draft Class

rambo2

Reaction score
Taking the samoan linebacker over Marshawn Lloyd was idiotic
I'm real interested to see how that goes. Marist was so impressive with his interview with Zimmer they took him instead of a running back. You would think that with Zimmer's experience he would know what he was doing.

rambo2

Reaction score
FA and draft - just not enuff help for our DL ... expect a poor run defense ...again

Expect a poor run game (again) ...and zero RB in pass game help (again)

FO did not help our coaches, imo
The run game should be improved with the oline help.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So our 53 looks like:

QB (3) Prescott, Rush, Lance
RB (3) Dowdle, Freeman, Vaughn
FB (1) Luepke
TE (4) Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, Stephens Jr.
OL (10) Guyton, Smith, Beebe, Martin, Steele, Bass, Hoffman, Thomas, Edoga
WR (5) Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks, Turpin, Flournoy

DE (4) Lawrence, Kneeland, Williams, Fehoko
DT (4) Smith, Odighizuwa, Golston, Rogers
LB (5) Parsons, Kendricks, Clark, Overshown, Liufau
CB (6) Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Scott, Carson, Goodwin
S (5) Wilson, Hooker, Bell, Thomas, Mukuamu

K (1) Aubrey
P (1) Anger
LS (1) Sieg

I gave the final spot to Stephens Jr., but there's a lot of directions Dallas could go with it, including DE Wheat, CB Wright, OL Waletzko or Ball, WR Cropper or Durden, LB Johnson, DT Davis or we could sign Elliott or one of the UDFAs could earn a spot.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So our 53 looks like:

QB (3) Prescott, Rush, Lance
RB (3) Dowdle, Freeman, Vaughn
FB (1) Luepke
TE (4) Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot, Stephens Jr.
OL (10) Guyton, Smith, Beebe, Martin, Steele, Bass, Hoffman, Thomas, Edoga
WR (5) Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks, Turpin, Flournoy

DE (4) Lawrence, Kneeland, Williams, Fehoko
DT (4) Smith, Odighizuwa, Golston, Rogers
LB (5) Parsons, Kendricks, Clark, Overshown, Liufau
CB (6) Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Scott, Carson, Goodwin
S (5) Wilson, Hooker, Bell, Thomas, Mukuamu

K (1) Aubrey
P (1) Anger
LS (1) Sieg

I gave the final spot to Stephens Jr., but there's a lot of directions Dallas could go with it, including DE Wheat, CB Wright, OL Waletzko or Ball, WR Cropper or Durden, LB Johnson, DT Davis or we could sign Elliott or one of the UDFAs could earn a spot.
If Stephen’s plays like he did last off seasom
And doesn’t get hurt. Hendershot may find himself on the unemployment line.

Of course it’s really really early to be having this convo lol

gimmesix

Reaction score
If Stephen’s plays like he did last off seasom
And doesn’t get hurt. Hendershot may find himself on the unemployment line.

Of course it’s really really early to be having this convo lol
There definitely could be some alterations to it, such as the team bringing back Elliott. I just thought I'd lay it out based on what we've got to see what it might look like.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Favorite picks: Guyton, Beebe, Carson

Wait and See Picks: Kneeland, Flourney, Thomas, Rogers

What the Heck Were they thinking/Jerry was drunk pick: Liufau

Overall Grade from me: B-. Fixed the OL, got a run stopping DE, but overvalued the LB and ignored RB.
They didnt fixed anything, they addressed it but until we see the product on the field, stop saying we fixed anything.

Y’all did the same thing with the Mazi pick

gimmesix

Reaction score

My thoughts:

1st round -- I didn't think OT was our top need. We had Tyler Smith who could play there, plus I liked what we saw of Richards at LT and Bass at LG. My pick with the trade-down would have been Jer'zahn Newton to give us that inside pass rusher we've been missing. I don't have a problem with the Guyton pick because he was good value where we took him and because we got a third-round pick in the trade-down.

2nd round -- While Kneeland doesn't fix the line the same way as Newton would have, he was considered excellent value where we took him and he will help the run defense. We probably will use him inside on passing downs, but the main aim of this selection seems to be run defense and we need it opposite Lawrence because we did a poor job sealing the edge on the other side last year.

3rd rounder -- Beebe is pretty much everyone's favorite pick, with good reason. If we do have to kick Smith to LT, Beebe should be able to step in and provide that same kind of physical presence. However, my main reason for liking this pick is that we needed to get better at C and it appears the plan could be to use Beebe to do that. He would bring us the physical type of center we had in Frederick and if we can keep Tyler at LG, we'd have a very stout interior with Tyler-Beebe-Martin. This one excites me and hopefully, the Guyton pick allows that interior threesome to come true.

3rd-rounder -- After getting excellent value with the first three picks, we strayed from the draft experts and "reached" for a linebacker. This was a perfect spot to grab an RB ahead of the run. We would have had our choice of them, other than Brooks, Benson and Corum. Zimmer may see Hendricks in Liufau, but all I see right now is a failed opportunity to do more with that pick.

5th-rounder -- At some point, we were going to take a corner not matter how much we may love our starters and nickel. As they say, you can never have too many corners, and because three play the majority of the snaps, you've got to have good depth. Plus, Carson was again good value.

6th-rounder -- Flournoy was one of the late-round players that I earmarked as being intriguing. I'm iffy on our depth at WR as someone is going to have to step up this year into that No. 3 role. I'm glad we added another competitor to the mix, and another good value.

6th-rounder -- I could have lived without drafting a third OL, but this was good value again ... and gives us more competition for those starting spots to figure them out. Thomas may not be ready to compete at LT, but he might be an LG option if we have to move Tyler and want Beebe at C.

7th-rounder -- Well, at least we didn't leave DT out of the mix. We have nothing behind Mazi and don't know if Mazi is going to be better than what he showed last year, so I'm OK taking a shot on another big body. Maybe as a one-down to two-down player Rogers can help our run D.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They didnt fixed anything, they addressed it but until we see the product on the field, stop saying we fixed anything.

Y’all did the same thing with the Mazi pick
At least we took some shots at fixing the OL. Getting both Guyton and Beebe for our 24th pick was probably the best thing the Cowboys did in this draft (even though I would have used the 29th pick differently).

phildadon86

Reaction score
Class comes down to Guyton and Beebe. If they develop into quality OL, especially settling in at LT and C, it's a decent class. If the DE and the LB become quality players, it's a really good class.
I wonder if Jerry is gonna run the ball himself

CWR

Reaction score
I'm real interested to see how that goes. Marist was so impressive with his interview with Zimmer they took him instead of a running back. You would think that with Zimmer's experience he would know what he was doing.
I'm really hesitant to trust coaches when it comes to specific players. Our d coordinators may have a mold, but they tend to suck at actually scouting and picking players. There's a bad track record there, although it's not fair to punish Zimmer for the last two coordinators bad picks.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If someone had told me before the draft the Cowboys will not draft a RB I would have thought they were joking.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You take a RB instead of that turd from ND.
From there you are no longer chasing anything. You've picked up probably a starter at LT, maybe at OC, a rotational DE in year 1 and a RB that can get 150 carries.
Now we're bringing in zeke who was washed 2 years ago, they'll spin it and aholes round here will buy it, but it's an extra God knows how much on the cap vs a 3rd round pick, he'll average 2.4 yds a carry .
That 3rd round RB makes tge biggest difference of any pick we just took.
So the draft is pathetic unless they draft a JAG at running back like you wanted?

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I wanted Newton after the trade down but can live with Guyton and the extra pick. I hope they get his technique fixed.

Instead of Marist Liufau I probably would have went with a RB ( Wright, Irving or Davis) or possibly the Dlineman DeWayne Carter