Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
tenor.gif

luckyman76

Reaction score
I follow Mark Holmes too...actually I just unsubbed from him. He gets alot wrong. Good guy, but gets his wires crossed. I do not think Dak has parted ways with his agent yet.

Nice guy but I unsubbed him as well because he has zero objectivity concerning Dak. He put out a video today that due to his dyslexia he misread the news yesterday. As of this time only Todd France has parted with CAA, there is no news regarding Dak and France.

Flamma

Reaction score
People keep saying this but what others have left on their contracts versus brand new deals are immaterial when you're talking numbers and the numbers people look at are the new money. Again, I'm no expert on the ins and outs of contracts by any means but it just makes logical sense that if someone gets a 4-year deal (extension) at $110M guaranteed, you'd have to offer more to get a player to sign a 5-year deal. Whether they have a year on their contract left or not is for that team's cap situation. The numbers say 4 years, $110M. A 5-year, $110M is just not the same thing. Goff and Wentz are also getting their 1st round rookie salaries for that team to worry about. Dak got peanuts on his 4th round salary so Dallas didn't have that extra burden to spread around unless they overspent elsewhere. That wouldn't be on Dak.

Here's the article I keep referencing where it analyzes other QB deals in good detail including Goff and Wentz' extensions. The figure at the end states that if you look comparatively, a 5-year deal should yield $130M guaranteed. This appears to look at Goff and Wentz' deals from a new money aspect, which any agent would and it appears the past deals were granted as such. If I'm missing something, I'd like to know because every time I present this article no one can tell me where it's off-base, if it is at all.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...r-even-if-the-cowboys-qb-wants-to-go-shorter/

Ok. The only reason I brought up the fact it was a new contract instead of an extension is because the Rams and Eagles had 5 years to spread out that guaranteed money. Which was 107 and 110 million. On a 5 year new contract for Dak you have 4 years to spread out what they're saying should be 130 million. Notice the problem?

Besides that, who says 83% of your contract has to be guaranteed? That may be ok for an ideal situation, but not all situations are ideal. Russel Wilson didn't get 83% guaranteed.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nice guy but I unsubbed him as well because he has zero objectivity concerning Dak. He put out a video today that due to his dyslexia he misread the news yesterday. As of this time only Todd France has parted with CAA, there is no news regarding Dak and France.
^^THIS 100%

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless it's a very strangely run company, France won't be able to keep Dak.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

It honestly would have taken me one minute to strike a deal with Jerry and Stephen.
I don't think people comprehend the complexity of a pro sports contract.

Just go listen to Patrick Mahomes and what he can not do while under contract for the next 12+ years to start understanding a fraction of what is included besides the money.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Only reason I stopped watching him was he was getting weird on his takes. I think you know what I mean.I am just a football purest and having a guy veer off the path into stuff just hits me wrong. So I bowed out. Well meaning dude.
Yeah he sometimes gets off subject. Was funny the other day his wife interrupted his video and let him know the dog pooped on the steps. Lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Only if dak dumps cca and hires France himself.
And even then, there's more than likely a non compete clause, and CCA may sue France and make a mess. Not that simple.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Does not matter or effect anything going forward. Dak Prescott $31.5M guaranteed salary is the highest of any QB salary per cap and 4th highest for cash spent for a QB in 2020.

Todd France or CAA really was negotiating years only and Jerry/Stephen wanted longer. Todd France got Tannehill his money $6.1M more than Dak for cash spent in 2020. Therefore, I do not thing money was the problem.

Therefore, we will see what CAA or France does for Prescott in 2021.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Ok. The only reason I brought up the fact it was a new contract instead of an extension is because the Rams and Eagles had 5 years to spread out that guaranteed money. Which was 107 and 110 million. On a 5 year new contract for Dak you have 4 years to spread out what they're saying should be 130 million. Notice the problem?

Besides that, who says 83% of your contract has to be guaranteed? That may be ok for an ideal situation, but not all situations are ideal. Russel Wilson didn't get 83% guaranteed.

But you're going on the presumption that the final year of the contract is untenable. It doesn't have to be. They could simply make it tenable or get creative and give Dak a fully guaranteed contract like Cousins or other things like that article listed. I get it that the team wants an out just in case he stinks it up, which is why most contracts are structured like that but these are the costs of doing business with a QB. It's the team's job to manage the cap around QB salaries. Other teams get it done and if we can't then maybe Dak is fine moving on instead of being paid less than peers and leave the team to go hunting for a QB all over again. And maybe the team is okay with that. Part of the back and forth leverage for each.

Flamma

Reaction score
But you're going on the presumption that the final year of the contract is untenable. It doesn't have to be. They could simply make it tenable or get creative and give Dak a fully guaranteed contract like Cousins or other things like that article listed. I get it that the team wants an out just in case he stinks it up, which is why most contracts are structured like that but these are the costs of doing business with a QB. It's the team's job to manage the cap around QB salaries. Other teams get it done and if we can't then maybe Dak is fine moving on instead of being paid less than peers and leave the team to go hunting for a QB all over again. And maybe the team is okay with that. Part of the back and forth leverage for each.

I get what you're saying. I have to go back to that article to see if I missed anything. But I wasn't trying to say the Cowboys need an out in case he stinks. Quite the opposite. I was saying it in case they wanted to extend him further. That last year always gets restructured. I could wrong, but that's almost impossible to do if the entire contract is guaranteed. So it's not just an out. It's about managing the cap hits going forward.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I said this about France during the negotiations. He's not of a mind of creating a startup hoping to get bought by one of the big guys and cashing out. He's one of those types that wants to compete with the big guys and maybe knock a few off to become one of, if not THE big guy. Can't knock the moxie.
So, the Boras of Football?

cern

Reaction score
And even then, there's more than likely a non compete clause, and CCA may sue France and make a mess. Not that simple.
Depends on contract language. Most noncompete clauses, the purview of medical and dental practices, are about proximity of location more than anything else. It's not likely dak can be forced to stay with cca. His counsel can argue he signed with cca due to his desire to be represented by france.. now that france is gone, the agreement is null and void.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only if dak dumps cca and hires France himself.
Depends on the verbiage in the right to represent agreement, who initially signed him and his wishes in this because these players fire agents all the time. He can do whatever he wants and the company and agent have the mutual agreement to split.

Some are trying to connect the Prescott deal to his leaving CCA and that's total speculation.

Has anyone considered that France might be THE guy at CAA that believes in what he can get Prescott? CAA has many clients and to think they think about every one of them on equal footing is also speculation. Think some of those other agents might have thought France was nuts trying to get that deal for Prescott? It is speculation that Prescott wants a new agent, what's the hurry?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Depends on contract language. Most noncompete clauses, the purview of medical and dental practices, are about proximity of location more than anything else. It's not likely dak can be forced to stay with cca. His counsel can argue he signed with cca due to his desire to be represented by france.. now that france is gone, the agreement is null and void.
The Prescott deal is being painted as the one that broke France/CAA apart and we have no idea. Both parties have handled larger deals and CCA isn't going to have to start stockpiling cans of beans and bags of rice because they don't have Prescott.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

It honestly would have taken me one minute to strike a deal with Jerry and Stephen.

And be thanking your damn lucky stars Dallas drafted you and benched Tony Romo. The Golden Ticket.