Tom Brady suspended for four games

khiladi

Reaction score
"allegations that weren't spoken about" then how do you know then, Casserly didn't know, he was just speculating/opinion/acusation ...which most talking heads do to occupy a 24 newscast....more black helicopter stuff!

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2006/12/stealing_signs_.htmlted

This article is dated 2006.

“There is nothing illegal about what Miami did. However, the Patriots got caught doing something early in the year they weren’t supposed to be doing. They had a man on their sideline dressed in coaching attire with a video camera who was presumably videotaping the other team’s signals. You can’t do that. They were warned. If it happens again, they’re going to be disciplined.

Casserly also shared some insight on other techniques employed by NFL teams.

“When I was on the competition committee a couple years ago, we discovered a team that was putting a microphone on a defensive lineman, the nose tackle, to get the signals from the quarterback, matched it to the game tape, and they had the audibles the next time they played them. Another one that goes on, this is what they call a parabolic mic. This picks up sound from the quarterback. What some teams do is have an extra one at the game, get the sound from the quarterback, match that to the game tape, and they’ve got the audibles next time they play them. Miami wasn’t doing anything compared to other teams.”

The implication being Bellichek pleading ignorance in 2007 regarding the rules is hogwash. And all this was in the context of Miami 'video-taping' scandal the year prior to Spygate against the Patriots of all teams...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

Notice Bellichek's words:

"I stand out on that field every day, as do our defensive players -- who are pretty smart players -- and I don't see it," Belichick said. "If I can't pick it up and our players can't pick it up, with what we know and the opportunity to see and work against each other, I have a hard time thinking somebody else [could]."

You can also read Zach Thomas comments on Brady being flustered...

Last edited:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
What was on the tapes and what else they did to cheat, for starters . . .

Exactly. They were accused of the communication failures in their stadium, spygate, deflating balls...they wouldn't have destroyed it all if there was nothing to see. NFL has protected the Pats more than any other team in the league besides the Giants.

It's sad that it is starting to become so outwardly blatant and most people are actually starting to see it.
League had no choice but to punish the Pats at this point, I still think Brady should have got at least 8 games and Bill should have got the same season off thing that Payton got. I would have preferred a punishment of draft pick in the same year. First and third for the 2016 draft.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Exactly. They were accused of the communication failures in their stadium, spygate, deflating balls...they wouldn't have destroyed it all if there was nothing to see. NFL has protected the Pats more than any other team in the league besides the Giants.

It's sad that it is starting to become so outwardly blatant and most people are actually starting to see it.
League had no choice but to punish the Pats at this point, I still think Brady should have got at least 8 games and Bill should have got the same season off thing that Payton got. I would have preferred a punishment of draft pick in the same year. First and third for the 2016 draft.

Skins and Cowboys fans can certainly agree on the preferential treatment for the Pats and Giants.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Aaron Roger, Brad Johnson and a few others have admitted it. To believe that this was an invention of Tom Brady's is a bit naïve.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I think Brady is guilty as hell, deserved something, maybe not a suspension, but I will not find fault with him for refusing to turn over his phone records. That is his business and the guarantee he got about them staying private is total BS in a world of deep pockets TMZ.

Just to set the record straight on turning over his phone, the NFL went so far as to allow TOM BRADY"S lawyers to be the ones to look through the records and turn over only those texts/messages that were relevant to the investigation. The NFL would not have had direct access to his information. I can't believe the NFL would have that much trust in Brady's lawyers, but apparently they did. The only way "TMZ" would have gotten any info is if Brady's lawyers gave it to them. Given that scenario, I understand why the league slammed him for not cooperating.

burmafrd

Reaction score
"allegations that weren't spoken about" then how do you know then, Casserly didn't know, he was just speculating/opinion/acusation ...which most talking heads do to occupy a 24 newscast....more black helicopter stuff!

as usual denying anything you don't want to hear.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
The fact is, if there is proof that Brady knew the balls were deflated, then there is almost no chance that Bellichik didn't know. Do you think Brady used fully inflated balls in practice? Hell no....he would have had them exactly like they would be in games. The fact that Bellichik got nothing is ridiculous.

One little important piece of this whole scenario is that Brady has never (to my knowledge) actually denied knowledge/involvement in this fiasco. When initially asked about it, his response was something to the effect of "now I've heard it all". He's like a politician or a lawyer...he'll play with words to make it appear as if he's innocent without actually denying wrongdoing. An innocent person would have immediately and flatly denied his involvement. Brady has had other opportunities to state his innocence, but has never done so. To me, that, more than anything else, says he's guilty.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight on turning over his phone, the NFL went so far as to allow TOM BRADY"S lawyers to be the ones to look through the records and turn over only those texts/messages that were relevant to the investigation. The NFL would not have had direct access to his information. I can't believe the NFL would have that much trust in Brady's lawyers, but apparently they did. The only way "TMZ" would have gotten any info is if Brady's lawyers gave it to them. Given that scenario, I understand why the league slammed him for not cooperating.

I didn't know that but that does change things, obviously he talked about cheating in every conversation and nothing was left over except emojies and the odd smiley. They couldn't submit that.

Reaction score
It's called integrity.

Why did they turn balls into the referees before the game, then sneak them out and into a bathroom to let the air out of them.

If it's not a big deal, then why did you do it?

The NFL has the benefit of being a legit sport, unlike the NBA and MLB. That is important to this cash cow, and Goodell has to stand up to it.

This will not get reduced. There's no outside court to rule on it. This is unprecendented.

I don't disagree.

All I'm saying is that the Hardy and Brady situations are not comparable.

erod

Reaction score
I don't disagree.

All I'm saying is that the Hardy and Brady situations are not comparable.

I agree. Brady's situation is FAR worse from an NFL perspective.

What Hardy did was a criminal act of one player off the field that should be dealt with by the court system.

What Brady did endangered the integrity of the NFL on the field, and impacts the trust of the viewing public (not to mention the bettors in Vegas).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are a lot of people who say that the PSI of the footballs is not really that big of a deal. Some will say it doesn't change the fact that Brady beat up the Colts. All of that is true and I can see why some would come to that conclusion. I do think it's a big deal because it's more then just about the Pats. In today's Sports Landscape, the NFL is big money. Like 45 Billion Dollar industry worth. Now think about how much money is bet on the NFL. That is a huge industry and that, IMO, is why this is being taken so seriously.

If we are honest with each other, the simple truth is probably that New England is not the only team that uses this practice. I'd bet that there are a lot more teams who doctor the footballs. Doctoring Footballs has been around for as long as Footballs have been, in the game of Football. However, it's the Pats who got nailed. If you drill down far enough, everything is about money in the NFL. The sport stopped being about Football a long time ago. It's perception and how it relates to revenue. This drives virtually everything these days. This is why I look at a lot of the language used by the League in a lot of situations and just chuckle to myself. Is it wrong to hit women? Of course it's wrong. It's wrong to beat anybody who is weaker then you IMO. Are there situations where temper gets the better of you? Of course it does and it happens. However, it's still wrong and when that happens, most people know it. It's also wrong for women to hit mean and think it's OK to do so. Yet, you hear the NFL coming down hard on this now, as if it has never been a part of the game before. This type of behavior has been around for a long time and the NFL knew of this but until somebody came to the conclusion that it's costing the League money, it was never that big of an issue. It's always been wrong but it's only important now.

The League has looked past a lot of transgressions from other teams because they were making money and that's what the NFL is about now. Is Goodell a good guy or a bad guy? I don't honestly know but I know that his job is to protect the League and make money for the League. Everything he is doing is about that. That's his job. For all I know he doesn't personally agree with a lot of what the policy may be but then again, he may agree 100%. None of that matters because his job is to grow the NFL.

For some of us, the game is more important and that's how we tend to look at things. I can completely understand that. Don't really have a problem with it. The problem is that the NFL stopped being about the game a long time ago IMO. The integrity of the game we hear so much about is still important but not because it's about the game. It's because the NFL can not afford to have the perception of the game not being fair or on the up and up.

Anyway, just some of my own personal thoughts on the subject.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Comparing Brady and Hardy doesn't really work on any level. What Hardy was accused of is much worse on a personal level then what Brady did. That's why Hardy's infraction is governed primarily by the judicial system.

For the NFL you can really argue that Brady's is worse then Hardy's. For the NFL Hardy is a PR issue. That's all it is, public relations. The league took a black eye last year when they gave Rice 2 games and then comes the video of him bashing her around in a elevator and knocking her out. Played really badly for the NFL, so they reacted to the next two DV cases that came up much more strongly. Brady is an integrity of the game issue. Sure its lesser then catching a player/coach/official gambling on the games they are in but its in the same vein. For a sports league integrity of the game should be more important then anything else. It feels like the right punishment for Brady but too much for Hardy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Aaron Roger, Brad Johnson and a few others have admitted it. To believe that this was an invention of Tom Brady's is a bit naïve.

When did Aaron Rodgers admit to taking the footballs after the refs checked them and then manipulating the air pressure in them? That is the same lie Rogah has posted numerous times on this forum.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Kelly Carney
Patriots announce newcomer Dom Grady will start in replacement of suspended Tom Brady for first four games of the season.

lol

1313398002_baby_falls_asleep.gif

That's a pretty good one BP. Unfortunately, it would not surprise me one bit.

LOL......