Tom Cruise: Can you rank his all time best movies?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I have/could put together a ranked list of his movies, but I don't mind him as an actor. I'll have to hand it to him though, he has had one heck of a career, and is still putting out blockbusters. Most actors from his era have mostly flamed out, yet, here he is with a $100 million opening weekend movie. Pretty impressive resume.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cruise is a prime example of keeping his private life private, just like I wish actors would do with their politics.

I prefer my actors like Daniel Day-Lewis. You never knew what he was up to until his latest emergence into almost perfect acting debuted. Man, he could suck me into his characters and I would forget who he was so early on.

With Cruise, hard to ignore couch jumping but he is a good actor.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cruise is a prime example of keeping his private life private, just like I wish actors would do with their politics.

I prefer my actors like Daniel Day-Lewis. You never knew what he was up to until his latest emergence into almost perfect acting debuted. Man, he could suck me into his characters and I would forget who he was so early on.

With Cruise, hard to ignore couch jumping but he is a good actor.
That's sort of how I am with Gary Oldman. He gets so into the character that it often takes me between 10 and 30 minutes to even realize it's him.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Mission Impossible I
Last Samurai
American made
Mummy
Edge of Tommorrow

Creeper

Reaction score
Okay, instead of ranking the best, I will list his movies that I don’t care to see more than once.

Legend
Far and Away
Eyes Wide Shut
Magnolia
Vanilla Sky
Edge of Tomorrow(decent movie but I hate repetition in movies)

The rest of his work is good(Oblivion) to great(Top Gun, MI’s). I like his early stuff too like All the Right Moves, Risky Business, The Outsiders and Losin It.

Cocktail was pretty awful too.

Hardline

Reaction score
Eyes Wide Shut.

I was doing a deep dive study into secret societies and the occult when this movie came out.

And the most obvious reason....Nichole Kidman got totally naked in it.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
5 Valkyrie

An underrated movie in my opinion.

Something interesting here. A few years ago, my teenage son and I took a trip to explore Berlin. We're both history buffs and there is just a ton to see in Berlin. We were touring a building complex that (remarkably) survived WWII called the Bendlerblock. It was a German military HQ building that pre-dated Hitler's rise and has lots of history tied to it. It's become a museum now and I was surprised to see that von Stauffenberg's office was in this building. They had somehow preserved it and it was as if he'd just gotten out of his chair that moment. (This building's courtyard was actually used in the making of that movie.)

The part that fascinated me the most in his office was the presence of von Stauffenberg's personal family and career photos--just sitting there on his desk and shelves. He and Cruise could have been twins. At first, I thought they'd substituted Tom Cruise photos because of the movie, but a German man there confirmed that they were of VS himself. Pretty interesting stuff. I'm sure that this similarity wasn't missed by Cruise when he considered making the film.

quickccc

Reaction score
Eyes Wide Shut.

I was doing a deep dive study into secret societies and the occult when this movie came out.

And the most obvious reason....Nichole Kidman got totally naked in it.

Really ? Eyes Wide Open ? lol .....:p

That was a Bizarre movie.
Every time I think of that film, i keep having that odd melodramatic music tone they seemed to play very often throughout the movie.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cruise definitely has a vastly extensive movie resume.
i wonder how much he got to be the star of this recent Top Gun Maverick ?

And what took them so freakin' damn looong to finally make a sequel ?
Especially given that the original Top Gun was an instant smash box office hit

timb2

Reaction score
Valkyrie
Eyes Wide Shut
Minority Report
Tropic Thunder