Tonight's defensive effort

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defense played better, and I don't care that it was against the Giants. They still had moments of letting them get to many first downs on 3rd down. And seems quite a few by penalty. Still very sloppy ball on both sides.

The offense still still trying to gel and get that timing down. Much improved tonight, but still need to put more point on the board.
Steelers a better team than the Giants. So need to still improve on both sides of the ball.

Dallas has 4 of 5 games on the road, counting last night. 2 day, a home game, bye week, 2 on the road. A very tough stretch.
This was an ugly win but it can instill some much needed confidence.

Cmac

Reaction score
Solid B from me. Run defense was exceptional. Too many holes in pass coverage. Enough pass rush to keep Jones moving and not find any gamebreaking openings. There are areas to improve on, but the biggest concern showed significant improvement from what we saw the last two Sundays. I had written them off because it looked like they had no fight or soul. They impressed me today. There may be some hope, yet.
Good points.....especially the run defense.....we weren't gashed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
While I still think the defense is bad, I think they would have looked better had the offense had scored more points, especially touchdowns.

It was great to see them hold them to 5 field goals, but at the same time it was bad they let them drive down the field to get those field goals.
I think a big part of that was missing one of our starting CBs. Booth made it pretty easy for them to get big chunks. Also, some sloppy attempts at tackling among various guys.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Defense played better, and I don't care that it was against the Giants. They still had moments of letting them get to many first downs on 3rd down. And seems quite a few by penalty. Still very sloppy ball on both sides.

The offense still still trying to gel and get that timing down. Much improved tonight, but still need to put more point on the board.
Steelers a better team than the Giants. So need to still improve on both sides of the ball.

Dallas has 4 of 5 games on the road, counting last night. 2 day, a home game, bye week, 2 on the road. A very tough stretch.
This was an ugly win but it can instill some much needed confidence.
well said. We still saw times where we had blown coverages, TERRIBLE effort and tackling, like you said, gave up too many first downs etc...and I will add, lost contain on the edge way too many times. Teams have found something because they keep running off tackle to the left. We better address this or against better teams we will get pounded. I just think Zimmer isn't the answer and we don't have the right players on d. That said, we snuck out of NY with a gritty win. SOMETIMES you can build off these kinds of wins and down the road, it makes you a tougher team. We saw the winning formula last night. We will need to grind out wins like this all year. The days of us blowing the doors off teams is gone. We MUST get a couple guys healthy soon.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think a big part of that was missing one of our starting CBs. Booth made it pretty easy for them to get big chunks. Also, some sloppy attempts at tackling among various guys.
number 27 , where the heck did we find that guy? I didn't even know we had him. He played well except for a bad tackle 1 time. He was clearly better than Boothe.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
So while going 22/27 for 227 yards and 2 TDs are not setting the world on fire, that's not even good in your opinion?

And that's not even considering the fact that BOTH OTs got absolutely abused in this game. If they did stop a passrusher, they were only doing so because of holds.

But I digress. I just hope you hold yourself up the the near impossible standards you hold others up to.

Just sayin'
:thumbup:
The Giants were missing their 2 starting CB's I believe

blueblood70

Reaction score
It wasn't flashy. It wasn't exciting.....but it wasn't ugly. It's clear that Zimmer emphasized stopping the run and I'm sure that contributed to the lack of pressure on the QB. Look, they allowed 1.1ypc and 15 points on the road against a division rival. It wasn't the blowout that some wanted, but it's a win. A MUCH NEEDED win. Keeps us in the hunt and points the needle in the right direction. Good coaching job on D, good game by QB1, and good win. Onto the next.
went from historically bad to just Bad..it is impovemnet..

Mazi and Overshown had great games, DONO needs to be benched a few games insert Thomas..he alone the last 3 weeks is hurting this team, out of position, bad coverage and Porr tackling. could have got off the field 3 times last night had he done his job.

Yes, missing Carson after missing Bland and Booth getting torched a few plays didn't help.. We need Bland back in BAD way.. hes not eligible until what the SF game or is PB an option?

But yes, a micro amount of improvement.. but they saw that they not only can we not stop the run they gave up 35mins of TOP kept our Offense off the field and got COLD. Our O could have pout 40 on that defense but couldn't get back on the field.

theeres hope this team can slowly get back on track..the D was still the weak poiint our O can still be dangerous IF MM feels he can stop protecting the D and the STs one of the best in the league,. If you listen to Mike McCarthy in some of his post game interviews that's exactly why he's running this low risk short yardage keep the ball on long drives trying to protect the defense...

he's saying they need a breather but they're the ones causing their own problems...

blueblood70

Reaction score
number 27 , where the heck did we find that guy? I didn't even know we had him. He played well except for a bad tackle 1 time. He was clearly better than Boothe.
right but it was one game against the giants but I see what you're talking about... he's actually a seasoned veteran from what i understand. It was a late off season addition I believe when bland went down...

TOO me time for Thomas to get shot over DONO ,

dono and booth created most of that mess giving NY the 35min TOP.. still things to clean up but bland please come back ASAP

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jones completing as many passes as he did is an L. The dude is trash.
I don't think he's trash I don't think he deserves $42 million but he played pretty well they exposed our back end they knew we were weak but Donovan wilson and yes booth but Donovan Wilson and yes booth gave too much to their pass game..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He was on the practice squad, apparently, but I've never seen his name until yesterday. I expected him to be as bad as Booth, but I agree with you. He did much better than expected...against the Giants.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It wasn't flashy. It wasn't exciting.....but it wasn't ugly. It's clear that Zimmer emphasized stopping the run and I'm sure that contributed to the lack of pressure on the QB. Look, they allowed 1.1ypc and 15 points on the road against a division rival. It wasn't the blowout that some wanted, but it's a win. A MUCH NEEDED win. Keeps us in the hunt and points the needle in the right direction. Good coaching job on D, good game by QB1, and good win. Onto the next.
yes our offense and special teams just need more possessions.. Outside of maybe Mike McCarthy needs to settle in on Rico being the number one running back and give him 17 carries a game, no matter what and just give him breaks with the other guys and use Ezekiel Elliott and others just to give Rico a breather but I think you need to force feed him the ball and you need to work on the run game more but he right now is our best runner and it's time to bring up Dalvin cook....Just see what he can do..Daks doing most of this with CD being doubled and the rest with no separation and a weak run game..

But if the d can slowly improve , like the Pittsburgh game coming up this is the second shot at a very similar team to the Ravens I realize the Steelers aren't the Ravens but they're team is built very much like the Ravens Justin fields is a poor man's Lamar Jackson as well as naji Harris is a poor man big *** back like Henry and they're gonna do the same things to us so they just have to go look at the Ravens game and the way we finished and just carry that over and by the way over show needs to play most of the starting snaps because him missing from the Ravens game and watching him play in the two games he played the most he should not be sitting on the sideline....

quickccc

Reaction score
Daniel Jones is a bum. This game meant nothing. They'll play well vs Pittsburgh too and it won't mean anything
Still amazing how Daniel Jones has an uncanny resemblance to actor Bruce Campbell to me.

Player wise, Daniel is a subpar passer. A true defense would have feasted on him.

Shame that our pass rush was so weak, as he often has plenty the to sink sunk us t lo death ad keep this boring snore of a game so close..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
went from historically bad to just Bad..it is impovemnet..

Mazi and Overshown had great games, DONO needs to be benched a few games insert Thomas..he alone the last 3 weeks is hurting this team, out of position, bad coverage and Porr tackling. could have got off the field 3 times last night had he done his job.

Yes, missing Carson after missing Bland and Booth getting torched a few plays didn't help.. We need Bland back in BAD way.. hes not eligible until what the SF game or is PB an option?

But yes, a micro amount of improvement.. but they saw that they not only can we not stop the run they gave up 35mins of TOP kept our Offense off the field and got COLD. Our O could have pout 40 on that defense but couldn't get back on the field.

theeres hope this team can slowly get back on track..the D was still the weak poiint our O can still be dangerous IF MM feels he can stop protecting the D and the STs one of the best in the league,. If you listen to Mike McCarthy in some of his post game interviews that's exactly why he's running this low risk short yardage keep the ball on long drives trying to protect the defense...

he's saying they need a breather but they're the ones causing their own problems...
Our offense could have put 40 on them, but couldn't get back on the field? Our offense was part of the reason the Giants had so much ToP. They couldn't stay on the field. It would've taken another 60 minutes to get 40 points.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Still amazing how Daniel Jones has an uncanny resemblance to actor Bruce Campbell to me.

Player wise, Daniel is a subpar passer. A true defense would have feasted on him.

Shame that our pass rush was so weak, as he often has plenty the to sink sunk us t lo death ad keep this boring snore of a game so close..
Really? I think he has an uncanny resemblance to Bert, from Sesame Street.
O0LovFE.jpg
856VUyTm.jpg

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
it was semi ugly....the giants didn't punt until middle of 3rd quarter.....they just couldn't convert FGs to TDs