Tony Pauline: Jets Want La’el + Pick for Adams

fivetwos

Reaction score
You are missing the entire point of "fit the scheme to the players".

In the draft if a player that does not fit the existing scheme is BPA then they would draft that player.

They would not trade a boatload of picks to trade up for that player.

A couple of years ago the Giants wanted to dump DT Snacks Harrison for cap reasons. They traded him for something like a 5th round pick. He didn't "fit" Marinelli's scheme and the Cowboys were not interested. There would be no guaranteed money on that contract.

Trading a 1st, 3rd and giving out a huge contract with huge guaranteed money is the opposite of taking advantage of players available for a bargain or taking the BPA in the draft.
In all respect to you personally and all you contribute to this site, it should be much more acknowledged that there has been about zero word out of the Dallas camp on this trade.

It's all driven from last years deadline rumors and Adams himself.

What you say makes a ton of sense, but I'd be willing to wager that Nolan could figure out how to work Adams into things quite fine if given the choice.

I doubt he would say "no thanks, he doesnt fit my scheme."

He would adapt around him, and the guy is a 24 year old All Pro who makes plays at all three levels of defense, and could be the vocal leader we need.

Now, cost certainly matters, but we ought to be picking low, and drafting a safety if we kept the pick is a real possibility anyway.

At some point you make the go for it move. You dont deal your RT for him, but if they will be reasonable, you've gotta try.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is simple guys.
Conner Williams, Xavier Woods and a 1st rounder for Jamal Adams.

Cut loose Crawford. Save 8m
Restructure Martin, Cooper and Collins thats adds a year to his contract.
Sign Clowney to a 3yr deal at 15m per. With incentives. Gives him something to work for
I'd wager the Jets end up getting less than your proposal, which I'd do in a second from our end.

Dont have to give Clowney more than one year, and he wouldnt want that anyway.

Clowney is way more likely than Adams at this point.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Getting the 3rd ranked tackle in football on a team-friendly deal cannot be "easily done in the offseason".

Oh please. He was the 3rd ranked R tackle for one season? Do you know what an All Pro is?

Why didn't this great RT make the pro bowl?

Cmon……….stop being a homer.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You are missing the entire point of "fit the scheme to the players".

In the draft if a player that does not fit the existing scheme is BPA then they would draft that player.

They would not trade a boatload of picks to trade up for that player.

A couple of years ago the Giants wanted to dump DT Snacks Harrison for cap reasons. They traded him for something like a 5th round pick. He didn't "fit" Marinelli's scheme and the Cowboys were not interested. There would be no guaranteed money on that contract.

Trading a 1st, 3rd and giving out a huge contract with huge guaranteed money is the opposite of taking advantage of players available for a bargain or taking the BPA in the draft.

Your problem is that you keep mixing up the philosophy with the financials.

Fit the player to scheme vs. fit scheme to player is philosophy. This is McCarthy's promise.

Stephen has stated many times that money is not a problem to acquiring talent, there are many ways to free cap space. That is Stephen's promise.

And trading away a late 1st (and an extra 3rd, Cowboys have TWO of these picks next draft) for 24 year old 2 time All Pro considered tops at his position is a great trade off.

Adams is also willing to wait for his big payday if traded to team of his choice. In a season or two, the cap space will be available.

You are not usually this obtuse X.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your problem is that you keep mixing up the philosophy with the financials.

Fit the player to scheme vs. fit scheme to player is philosophy. This is McCarthy's promise.

Stephen has stated many times that money is not a problem to acquiring talent, there are many ways to free cap space. That is Stephen's promise.

And trading away a late 1st (and an extra 3rd, Cowboys have TWO of these picks next draft) for 24 year old 2 time All Pro considered tops at his position is a great trade off.

Adams is also willing to wait for his big payday if traded to team of his choice. In a season or two, the cap space will be available.

You are not usually this obtuse X.

You've been here too long to not know that I know more than you know about football and logic.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You've been here too long to not know that I know more than you know about football and logic.
Here we go again.
toot-own-horn.jpg

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Ill give em collins and a 3rd. We have too much $$ and resources dumped in our o line. We have connor williams who can play tackle, Biadasz at center and mcgovern at lg. We need a playmaker on the back end that can effect the game.

No on trading Collins.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In all respect to you personally and all you contribute to this site, it should be much more acknowledged that there has been about zero word out of the Dallas camp on this trade.

It's all driven from last years deadline rumors and Adams himself.

What you say makes a ton of sense, but I'd be willing to wager that Nolan could figure out how to work Adams into things quite fine if given the choice.

I doubt he would say "no thanks, he doesnt fit my scheme."

He would adapt around him, and the guy is a 24 year old All Pro who makes plays at all three levels of defense, and could be the vocal leader we need.

Now, cost certainly matters, but we ought to be picking low, and drafting a safety if we kept the pick is a real possibility anyway.

At some point you make the go for it move. You dont deal your RT for him, but if they will be reasonable, you've gotta try.

Fit the scheme to the players does not mean try super hard to acquire players that don't fit the scheme.

They can't run 11 schemes with 1 scheme per starter. They still have to generally acquire players that fit the scheme. There has to be a good reason to acquire players that don't fit (i.e. BPA, getting a "good deal" in a trade, etc.).

If a lady is going to buy a dress from Neiman Marcus, then she better get one that fits perfectly. If she finds that dress on clearance at whatever shop gets last season's Neiman"s leftovers, then she can just lose a few pounds if it's too snug...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here we go again.
toot-own-horn.jpg

You are confused.

My post should say "I'm Awesome".

Your reply to me should say "You're Awesome" because you're speaking to me.

Tomorrow I'm going to donate to a cause that supports the police because they're Awesome also.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are some candidates that are going to need to fit in right away,,
Diggs, Dix, Worley, Robinson, Canady,,just saying,, there is a bit of hope that we find some help from this young group.

Worley is interesting. He played both Safety and CB in the same game multiple times last season. It was by design, not due to injury from what I observed.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You are confused.

Tomorrow I'm going to donate to a cause that supports the police because they're Awesome also.

Not surprised at all by your response. Stop telling people you're better than them. Most cases you're not. The few times you are, you shouldn't have to define it for them. No one is impressed by you.

Post some football stuff, throw in your opinion, and people will decide how good your takes are.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not surprised at all by your response. Stop telling people you're better than them. Most cases you're not. The few times you are, you shouldn't have to define it for them. No one is impressed by you.

Post some football stuff, throw in your opinion, and people will decide how good your takes are.
Scale of Awesomeness:

Police
Me
Everybody Else.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You are confused.

What the F happened to you man?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
He's not the 3rd best tackle. He can be easily replaced.
I'm not saying he's the third best tackle based on one year, but he is very good and on a good contract. Even if you could get a better tackle in free agency (which I doubt ), the going rate for a top tackle is almost $20 million a year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's the third best tackle based on one year, but he is very good and on a good contract. Even if you could get a better tackle in free agency (which I doubt ), the going rate for a top tackle is almost $20 million a year.

Just stop. He is a good tackle and the contract is definitely a good one. But he isn't more valuable than an all pro SS that is one of the best defensive players in the NFL. Adams would anchor the back end of our defense for the next 5-8 years. It would solve our biggest need and biggest weakness. He is 24 years old.

If we could trade straight up Adams for Collins, it would be great. And yes, I would miss Collins. But not that much.

We are overloaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball. If Dak, those 3 WR's and Zeke cant overcome the loss of Collins then need to give the money back.